00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

applessmillion just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0

675,515 Views | 14,988 Replies

Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 2011-08-04 13:28:42

At 8/4/11 03:19 AM, Aci6 wrote:
At 8/4/11 02:31 AM, Jercurpac wrote: I loathed Eternal Sonata, but I know I'm in the minority on that one and most thought it was at least decent.
I fucking loved it, loved the battle mechanics, the characters and the overall depth of the story along with the attacks and graphics. Pretty dated but I'd love to see a sequel if that's at all possible or at least a spiritual successor. Worth the $10 AU I paid.

I thought it had a clever battle system that was robbed of any strategic depth because the game was easy enough for me to prance through everything without any semblance of using strategy and the story...well let's just say I disagree. If you like it, that's cool I'm not trying to make you hate it. It's just one of the most disappointing games for the level of hype I had for it so I tend to go off on it.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 2011-08-04 13:43:00

minor spoilers:

The biggest problem I had with eternal sonata was the ending, when they were all against a black background saying "killing the environment is bad mmmkay" and stuff and it just completely ruined the end for me. The actual game I didn't mind, the battle mechanics I thought were interesting although I never really found it especially hard at any point like jerc pointed out.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 2011-08-05 00:50:46

At 8/4/11 11:56 PM, LoliTastic wrote: Hey,anyone know what oldie game I should pick up in a few days? I'm a bit bored right now,since I'm sort of done with getting all the catherine endings

The Darkness
Hitman: Blood Money
Mirror's Edge

Tried to recommend games I didn't think you've played.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature

Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 2011-08-05 00:52:24

At 8/4/11 11:56 PM, LoliTastic wrote: Hey,anyone know what oldie game I should pick up in a few days? I'm a bit bored right now,since I'm sort of done with getting all the catherine endings

More specific? What are you into?

Based on your game history I'd say you should give any of these a try, trying to spread my suggestions across genres:

Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard ( Shooter with a good sense of humor. Quite short. )
Resident Evil 5 (Survival Horror / Shooter)
Just Cause 2 ( Action, just a good fuckin' game )
Mercenaries 2 ( If Just Cause 2 is too expensive, consider this )
Tales of Vesperia (J-RPG)
Condemned: Criminal Origins ( Horror/Action [Not #2] )
Forza Motorsport ( Racing Sim [2 and 3 are both good])

???

Am I totally off the mark or was this kinda what you were asking for?

XBL Gamertag: Dr Lipschitz /// Steam ID: Zippomatt /// League: Zippomatt

last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 2011-08-05 00:56:13

At 8/5/11 12:50 AM, phrozonfire wrote: The Darkness

Oh fuck this. Whenever I get the chance to recommend games I always say this, except that last time.

The Darkness. It's a shooter based on a comic book series, I got hooked really bad on this game, it's great. If you are going to seriously consider any suggestion made so far, it should be this one.

XBL Gamertag: Dr Lipschitz /// Steam ID: Zippomatt /// League: Zippomatt

last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 2011-08-05 07:35:19

I'm never playing OF: Red River on my own ever again, the AI is just shockingly bad, so I'm only going to play with my friends on it from now on. Got 60g from finishing the first mission anyway.

PSN ID + Xbox Live GT : ShadowWestNG | Steam : ShadowWest | Sig made by: ParadoxVoid <3

BBS Signature

Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 2011-08-05 07:37:56

I picked up Blue Dragon for £5 yesterday, which isn't bad for a game that spans three disks. Not usually into this type of turn based JRPG but I figured I'd bite the bullet and give them another chance since the last one I played was FFX and I'd only have been in my early teens at the time, so probably didn't fully appreciate what was going on.

Anyway yea, I'm about 4 hours in so far and really enjoying it. This game could keep you amused for many hours and cost you next to nothing.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 2011-08-05 15:56:09

At 8/5/11 12:56 AM, Matt wrote:
At 8/5/11 12:50 AM, phrozonfire wrote: The Darkness
Oh fuck this. Whenever I get the chance to recommend games I always say this, except that last time.

The Darkness. It's a shooter based on a comic book series, I got hooked really bad on this game, it's great. If you are going to seriously consider any suggestion made so far, it should be this one.

I bought this game today because you recommended it. Feel better?

The graphics aren't the greatest, but it's got this nice Kane and Lynch gangster feel to it. Solid gameplay

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 2011-08-05 16:20:37

At 8/5/11 03:56 PM, H-A-X-O-R-Z wrote: The graphics aren't the greatest, but it's got this nice Kane and Lynch gangster feel to it. Solid gameplay

I like the graphics. They could be a hell of a lot worse.
I just disliked the WW2 parts, but the rest is awesome.

Looking forward to the second one.

Also, I have a spare key for the Humble Indie Bundle 2, if anyone wants it.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature

Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 2011-08-05 18:38:21

In order of who gets fucked over the most by the extortionate prices.

Europe: $214.23(US) /£130.68(UK) /EU149.99(Europe) /$204.94(AUS)
UK: $213.99(US) /£129.99(UK) /EU149.19(Europe) /$203.86(AUS)
Australia $209.05(US) /£127.52(UK) /EU146.36(Europe) /$199.99(AUS)

USA: $149.99(US) /£91.49(UK) /EU105(Europe) /$143.48(AUS)

We all get pretty much fucked over, except America, who pays less than 2/3rd what we do.

How do you justify that, Bethesda? Shipping costs? You need to add another £60 for shipping?

A Comparison of 3 other Collector's Editions with an equal amount of content.

Gears of War 3 - £75
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - £85
Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine - £75
Assassin's Creed: Revolution - £50

Skyrim - £130

Do you want use to suck your dick too, Todd Howard?

BBS Signature

Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 2011-08-05 18:46:52

Calm down, you really want to blow a wad of cash for a stupid statue, some art you can see online and a cloth map?

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 2011-08-05 18:56:28

At 8/5/11 06:46 PM, Makeshift wrote: Calm down, you really want to blow a wad of cash for a stupid statue, some art you can see online and a cloth map?

That's not the point, the point is that companies think this actually acceptable, and it will become the norm.

People say "oh, nobody will buy it at that price", but they're wrong. Some people are either rich, stupid as fuck, or too weak-willed to abstain, so the price will slowly start to hike.

Remember when console games used to cost £40, rather than £50?

even the basic edition for Steam is fucking ridiculous. there is no case and disk to ship, it's just fucking data.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 2011-08-05 18:58:28

At 8/5/11 06:56 PM, phrozonfire wrote: Remember when console games used to cost £40, rather than £50?

Remember when a bag o' chips and a comic cost 25 cents. Yeah.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 2011-08-05 19:08:13

At 8/5/11 06:58 PM, Makeshift wrote:
At 8/5/11 06:56 PM, phrozonfire wrote: Remember when console games used to cost £40, rather than £50?
Remember when a bag o' chips and a comic cost 25 cents. Yeah.

I actually do remember in Britain how cans of coke cost 50p, not 70p.

Also, they missed out on a fabulous opportunity to include THISin the Collectors Ed.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 2011-08-05 19:38:53

Unless you're planning on getting it then I don't see why you're so butthurt. Maybe you accidentally sat on your mum's bad dragon.

Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 2011-08-05 19:45:44

At 8/5/11 07:08 PM, phrozonfire wrote: I actually do remember in Britain how cans of coke cost 50p, not 70p.

Cans of Coke in my local Spar is over 80p, you're bloody lucky.

And Freddo's are now bloody 20p.

Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 2011-08-05 19:48:49

At 8/5/11 07:38 PM, sushi13 wrote: Unless you're planning on getting it then I don't see why you're so butthurt. Maybe you accidentally sat on your mum's bad dragon.

I'm butthurt because Bethesda has no problem treating people who aren't american like shit.

And Freddo's are now bloody 20p.

Little Fudge bars too. It's a travesty.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 2011-08-05 19:51:03

At 8/5/11 07:08 PM, phrozonfire wrote: I actually do remember in Britain how cans of coke cost 50p, not 70p.

They cost 78 fucking pence in my local shop.

| Steam | AMD FX8320 - Asus 7950 - 8GB DDR3 - Asis M5A97 Pro - Xigmatek 750w - 120gb SSD - 1tb HDD - 500gb HDD -

BBS Signature

Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 2011-08-05 19:51:40

At 8/5/11 07:48 PM, phrozonfire wrote:
At 8/5/11 07:38 PM, sushi13 wrote: Unless you're planning on getting it then I don't see why you're so butthurt. Maybe you accidentally sat on your mum's bad dragon.
I'm butthurt because Bethesda has no problem treating people who aren't american like shit.

Maybe they didn't price the product.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 2011-08-05 20:44:07

At 8/5/11 07:51 PM, Makeshift wrote: Maybe they didn't price the product.

But they did. After Todd told everybody that games were way too expensive.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 2011-08-05 20:49:54

Eh, just realised that I didn't get the leaderboard file from Oliver and he's at the London meet just now, so it's probable that an update wont be posted on Monday. We'll see.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 2011-08-05 21:45:06

You're not looking at the big picture. It's not like this is an isolated incident, those price inconsistencies apply to a LOT of games and probably the majority of other things.
You can't look at a direct currency conversion and say that you're getting screwed because it's not as simple as that and those figures are pretty much meaningless without taking various other
things into consideration.

For starters the price you see is not the price you actually pay, thanks to the fact that in the US the shelf prices don't include tax. That $150 for the Skyrim CE will be more like $160-165 depending on what state you're in. On top of that extra taxes can be added for items like prepared food, medication and clothes.
The other really important thing is that the minimum wage in the US is considerably lower than elsewhere and there is no law that employees must get any benefits like paid leave or the right to a fair dismissal.

Imagine two very similar people, both working minimum wage jobs at McDonalds, one in the USA and one in the UK. Say they both work 40 hours a week and want to go buy the limited Skyrim. We'll assume they're both over 21 because working out the minimum wage for people under 21 gets a lot more complicated.

The guy in the USA earns a total of $346.80 (using the minimum wage of $8.67 per hour from Washington state, the highest in the country) and pays $164.25 for the game with the 9.5% tax. This works out as 47.3% of his gross wages.

The guy in the UK earns £237.20 (£5.93 per hour) and pays £129.99 for the game, which works out as 54.8% of his gross wages.

So it's really not that much of a difference and that's using a state with a high minimum wage and average tax. It could be worse, if he was from Arizona the minumum wage would only be 7.35% and the tax would be 10.6%.
The guy from the UK would also probably get 4-5 weeks of paid holiday leave per year as well as maybe up to a month paid sick leave and up to 6 months paid maternity leave if he was a chick. He also couldn't be fired without good reason or being paid a large amount of redundancy pay. As far as I'm aware the Americans aren't guaranteed any of these things, in the UK the law says that all employees have to have them.

Think about it next time before you bitch about how great the Americans have it.

Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 2011-08-05 21:49:54

Hey, Sushi, I live in Canada and the Collector's Edition is the same price for me as it is for people in the US.

But, yeah, I like your point.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 2011-08-05 21:51:46

ALSO, standard games are, what, 40 euros there while they're $60 - $70 here.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 2011-08-06 08:01:59

Been clearing up all the achievements on Fallout 3 recently, so far I've only got two left, however that should be one except I managed to miss an Alien Captive Recording right at the beginning of Mothership Zeta. The other one is Mill Worker which I'll probably start today after I re-do Alien Archivist.

Also got 130G from Red Faction Armageddon, very disappointed that it isn't free-roam like I was hoping, but it's still a lot of fun considering all the new weapons.

Scourge of Humanity - 30G
Paradigm of Humanity - 30G
Mercenary - 10G
Harbinger of War - 20G
The Bigger They Are... - 20G
Data Miner - 20G
Vault-Tec C.E.O - 30G

Once I've finished with Red Faction, Bulletstorm and Metro 2033, I'm pretty sure I'll have reached 40,000G, finally, I swear I've been on 30k for ages.

Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 2011-08-06 10:08:59

I really am having fun with Blue Dragon and I take back my previously negative opinion of JRPGs. Achievements are quite scarce and the ones available through story progression are a challenge because it often involves beating a mini game without taking any damage, which is quite tricky.

I can see this Mechat Shooting Stage 1: Perfect achievement getting on my nerves but I'm determined to get it.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 2011-08-06 12:40:24

Alien Archivist - 20G

Just Mill Worker to go now, then I'll be done with Fallout 3, unfortunately.

Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 2011-08-06 12:41:07

I'll just leave this here for bragging purposes. This achievement is way overdue, I've been working towards it for at least a year now. Playing GTAIV online for so long has left me feeling drained and it reminds me why I would never want to spend longer than a couple of hours playing any of the really big multiplayer games like CoD or Halo (apart from the fact that I don't like the gameplay much); half of the people playing are complete retards who scream down the mic, have no idea what to do, team kill, go idle or purposely fuck up the match for everyone else. Although it is beautiful when you get to file complaints about them for having modded avatars or gamerscore and you just hope to see them pop up on whywasibanned.com in the future.

Anyway, that's one game down, the only one on my list that requires multiplayer I think, still a fuckload to go.

Wanted - 20G

NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0

Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 2011-08-06 12:53:24

Ignore my ranting last night, I shouldn't drink and post.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 2011-08-06 13:29:23

At 8/6/11 12:53 PM, phrozonfire wrote: Ignore my ranting last night, I shouldn't drink and post.

I think you should be banned forever. Disgraceful behavior.