00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Computer Gaming Club

11,843 Views | 136 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Computer Gaming Club 2009-03-18 19:17:06

At 3/18/09 06:57 PM, JKMonkey wrote: ^^ yeah Fallout 3 plays poorly on my comp as well, i wonder why

Same, it sometimes lags out when I'm moving, but it clears away within a few seconds.

Dunno why, it said that it auto-put the graphics to ultra-high, so I should be doing fine. My RAM is also 8 gigs.......

Maybe it's the Xbox live connection? Xbox Live is a pretty little thing to run, and having the option of interrupting your game in the middle with it.....it's kinda like having Firefox running in the background while you play your game. Still, I should be having no problems.....

Response to The Computer Gaming Club 2009-03-18 19:37:13

At 3/18/09 07:17 PM, Elder500 wrote:
At 3/18/09 06:57 PM, JKMonkey wrote: ^^ yeah Fallout 3 plays poorly on my comp as well, i wonder why
Same, it sometimes lags out when I'm moving, but it clears away within a few seconds.

Dunno why, it said that it auto-put the graphics to ultra-high, so I should be doing fine. My RAM is also 8 gigs.......

Maybe it's the Xbox live connection? Xbox Live is a pretty little thing to run, and having the option of interrupting your game in the middle with it.....it's kinda like having Firefox running in the background while you play your game. Still, I should be having no problems.....

Hey it's TacoFreak here.

I'm guessing it's the HDD. You need to have a fast one to load all the textures quickly when you're moving.

Well, like, you couldn't, like, find it because, like, you're dumb, god

1,000th post l Sig Made by BananaBreadMuffin l First Chapter l Volleyball Crew

BBS Signature

Response to The Computer Gaming Club 2009-03-23 15:44:41

As of now, I'm playing "Beneath a Steel Sky" in ScummVM on the Ubuntu compy.

Save Firefox and free software!

iMate900 4 BBS Mod in 2010!

RIP Michael Jackson. RIP Billy Mays. (But I do not care for them)

BBS Signature

Response to The Computer Gaming Club 2009-03-23 17:21:54

At 3/23/09 03:44 PM, iMate900 wrote: As of now, I'm playing "Beneath a Steel Sky" in ScummVM on the Ubuntu compy.

Is it any good?

Response to The Computer Gaming Club 2009-03-24 06:14:12

At 3/23/09 03:44 PM, iMate900 wrote: As of now, I'm playing "Beneath a Steel Sky" in ScummVM on the Ubuntu compy.

Interesting... are there many good games out for Linux? I doubt you would get too many of the big releases, since Linux has an even smaller userbase than Apple, and you see how many blockbuster games they get (ie very few).

Aussie Club | TF2 Crew | TJPPC

Steam, Xfire: ParadoxVoid | Gamertag: TheFinalParadox

BBS Signature

Response to The Computer Gaming Club 2009-03-24 14:26:31

O_o

I think i remember this club, good to see its still going.

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to The Computer Gaming Club 2009-03-24 17:12:48

At 3/24/09 07:16 AM, Eman110 wrote: Could i please join?

Sure! What kind of games do you play?

At 3/24/09 02:26 PM, XwaynecoltX wrote: I think i remember this club, good to see its still going.

Thanks, but it's barely getting along, probably do to the original requirements chasing away a lot of members. I think I'm gonna restart this, making the new requirements visible in the new club. The new requirement is now only to be a computer gamer, everything else is only for consideration.

Response to The Computer Gaming Club 2009-03-24 19:21:25

At 3/24/09 05:14 PM, Eman110 wrote:
At 3/24/09 05:12 PM, Elder500 wrote:
At 3/24/09 07:16 AM, Eman110 wrote: Could i please join?
Sure! What kind of games do you play?
I mainly play FPS, RPG's, and shooters, but i also play the occasional racing game or simulator.

Awesome. I'll be receiving a new game myself in just a matter of days. Also, awesome computer specs. Your hard disk is almost 20x bigger than mine!

At 3/24/09 05:12 PM, Elder500 wrote:
At 3/24/09 02:26 PM, XwaynecoltX wrote: I think i remember this club, good to see its still going.
Thanks, but it's barely getting along, probably do to the original requirements chasing away a lot of members. I think I'm gonna restart this, making the new requirements visible in the new club. The new requirement is now only to be a computer gamer, everything else is only for consideration.

Aw, but then again it's only been three pages. Not that much of a loss. I wouldn't say it's barely getting along though. If it were barely getting along, it would be at either page 5, or out of the "last two weeks" radius.

Response to The Computer Gaming Club 2009-03-24 19:55:46

At 3/24/09 05:14 PM, Eman110 wrote: I mainly play FPS, RPG's, and shooters, but i also play the occasional racing game or simulator.

Cool, what games do you have in your arsenal (favorites only)?

At 3/24/09 07:21 PM, killslasher wrote: Aw, but then again it's only been three pages. Not that much of a loss. I wouldn't say it's barely getting along though. If it were barely getting along, it would be at either page 5, or out of the "last two weeks" radius.

Yep, I'm gonna wait until this dies out (if it ever does). If not, I won't do it. :)

Response to The Computer Gaming Club 2009-03-24 20:56:04

At 3/24/09 08:30 PM, Eman110 wrote: Farcry 2

I've always wondered about that game. What's the plot? What type of game is it (free roaming, or COD4 style action)?

Response to The Computer Gaming Club 2009-03-25 16:23:28

At 3/23/09 05:21 PM, Elder500 wrote:
Is it any good?

Dunno. But the intro IS long :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Computer Gaming Club 2009-03-25 16:30:02

At 3/24/09 06:14 AM, ParadoxVoid wrote:
Interesting... are there many good games out for Linux? I doubt you would get too many of the big releases, since Linux has an even smaller userbase than Apple, and you see how many blockbuster games they get (ie very few).

If you get Cedega you can play many Windows blockbusters. Other Linux-native games... Freecol, Lincity(-NG) and that's what I know.

Linux DOES have emulators. That includes like ScummVM, dosbox, VisualBoyAdvance, and a ton more. That means... I can happily play my favorite DOS games: Lights Out and DStar!

BBS Signature

Response to The Computer Gaming Club 2009-03-26 17:20:27

At 3/24/09 09:07 PM, Eman110 wrote:
At 3/24/09 08:56 PM, Elder500 wrote:
At 3/24/09 08:30 PM, Eman110 wrote: Farcry 2
I've always wondered about that game. What's the plot? What type of game is it (free roaming, or COD4 style action)?
Its a really good game in my opinion. It's defiantly a free roamer, you can choose what...

I've never really bothered to check out facts on Farcry 2. I would have never known it would be a free roamer...

Also, I received "The Elder Scrolls III:Morrowind". The Predecessor or Oblivion, yes... But it's still pretty awesome. Oblivion limited a few features from Morrowind, the developer's must have thought they weren't too necessary. Kinda like, "This is newgrounds, not myspace." but with games.

When playing, the frame rate is almost perfect, and stuttering is mostly not noticeable. The graphics may suck crap compared to Oblivion, though I could never texture like that. And more on textures, there are a few texture mods which can replace the stock faces of Morrowind if I really hated the textures. Awesome game, awesome frame-rates, and awesome price.

Response to The Computer Gaming Club 2009-03-26 22:49:29

At 3/26/09 05:53 PM, Eman110 wrote: Ya i like oblivion.

Glad to hear that. But I also forgot to say, this doesn't have trouble with .bik's! The intro processes just fine! Very smoothly, and I really enjoy it. I've downloaded a good around 4 mods already.

Response to The Computer Gaming Club 2009-03-28 16:25:53

At 3/26/09 10:49 PM, killslasher wrote

Glad to hear that. But I also forgot to say, this doesn't have trouble with .bik's! The intro processes just fine! Very smoothly, and I really enjoy it. I've downloaded a good around 4 mods already.

Nice. I'll look into that game.

Steam had a discount for Farcry 2 yesterday, for only $15! I bough it and downloaded it, I'm finding it well worth the money! The textures are great, and the gameplay is much better than other games because the controls are "fluid," and not very awkward like other games (partially due to the fact that you can change them yourself, and also because there aren't too many buttons needed.

It's a great game that goes into much detail, I'd recommend it to anyone who likes COD4, GTA4. Before, I was neutral about free-roamers, and kinda disliked Fallout 3, but I still love this game. This is the first time I've had this much fun in a while, lol.

Response to The Computer Gaming Club 2009-03-28 22:47:13

At 3/28/09 04:25 PM, Elder500 wrote: Steam had a discount for Farcry 2 yesterday,

This Ubisoft week has had some really good deals - this weekend one is possibly the greatest deal I've ever seen too - Beyond Good & Evil, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, Far Cry and IL-2 Sturmovic: 1946 for only US$10. If I had a credit card I would have gotten this for sure. They may be old games, but they're still a brilliant bargain.

BBS Signature

Response to The Computer Gaming Club 2009-03-29 10:47:47

At 3/28/09 10:47 PM, ParadoxVoid wrote:
At 3/28/09 04:25 PM, Elder500 wrote: Steam had a discount for Farcry 2 yesterday,
This Ubisoft week has had some really good deals - this weekend one is possibly the greatest deal I've ever seen too - Beyond Good & Evil, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, Far Cry and IL-2 Sturmovic: 1946 for only US$10. If I had a credit card I would have gotten this for sure. They may be old games, but they're still a brilliant bargain.

$10 each or $10 in total? Because both are amazing discounts! However, I got Morrowind from Ebay. This is because the game was made in 2002, and I doubt Bethesda still produces it. Still, a good deal of 12$ plus shipping and tax... Around $21 CAN in total.

Anyone have tips on how I can optimize to make a good video? Not a music video for the game, just some random, general gameplay video. I use an Hypercam, it's a good tool.

I'm going to be running it in a windowed form of 640x480 resolution. This is because I made several videos on ultra-high quality, 1024x768 resolution. And in just around 2+ minutes, I got around 1.18GB of video. Ultra high with HDR lighting produces several unique colors that just one frame has to render. Then 1024x768 pixels to be rendered, then 50fps recording.

I'm going to conserve space, by running a windowed 640x480, a bit more than half of the pixels to be rendered. Medium quality, no lighting effects, less unique colors, and darker colors, darker colors take up less space. And recording at 15fps.

I will have to use the console to give two guards a bounty, then while the two guards fight each other, more guards come trying to kill them. As the extra guards rush in, I will use the console to once again, give them a bounty. And repeatedly do this for around 1 minute.

I have one problem though. I'm not really good at recording or capturing videos. I can set it up just fine, but, the video will be about console commands. I can't really whip out good camera angles. I can't record it. I'm using Windows Movie Maker, so I have to edit the WHOLE clip, not just a part of it. Therefore, I will have to repeatedly pause at the uninteresting parts I don't want to include. I'm not good at that. I can't get good angles, usually I will be either too far away, or too close and not all of the scene will be seen. So in summary, everything is fine, except for my video recording skills.

I'm still enjoying both games though.

Response to The Computer Gaming Club 2009-03-29 17:18:43

At 3/29/09 10:47 AM, killslasher wrote: $10 each or $10 in total? Because both are amazing discounts! However, I got Morrowind from Ebay. This is because the game was made in 2002, and I doubt Bethesda still produces it. Still, a good deal of 12$ plus shipping and tax... Around $21 CAN in total.

$10 total. Normally they're $10 each over Steam.

BBS Signature

Response to The Computer Gaming Club 2009-03-29 21:05:37

My desktop

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 OCed~3.4Ghz on air
RAM: 6 gigs of G.Skill DDR2-800
GPU: XFX Nvidia GTX260 core 216
PSU: Mushkin 550w Modular Unit
Mobo: ASRock A780GXE/128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G ATX
Case: Raidmax Smilodon blck&grn
Keyboard: Saitek CYBORG
Mouse: Microsoft Laser Guided
Monitor: Gateway 19in LCD

Games
Half-Life to Ep.2, CS:S, DOD:S, L4D, TF2, Portal, Quake 1-4, Doom 1-3, Oblivion, COD2, CS 1.6

My PC Specs | Steam Profile Page |

"English Mother Fucker, Do You Speak It?"

BBS Signature

Response to The Computer Gaming Club 2009-03-29 22:26:52

At 3/29/09 05:25 PM, Bryan wrote: Here's the specs for my temporary computer while my Vista is being fixed.

Dell
Dell DIMENSION DIM3000
Intel(R)
Celeron(R) CPU 2.40GHz
2.39 GHz, 512 MB of RAM.

Actually, Your processor isn't that bad. Your ram isn't THAT bad, but wouldn't be good. Nice computer, it's not shitty.

I usually play F.E.A.R Pereseus Mandate, Project Snowblind, and Freedom Fighters.

Cool.

Damn this shitty XP.

Not that shitty...

At 3/29/09 09:05 PM, JuggaloRB wrote: My desktop

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 OCed~3.4Ghz on air

Woah that is awesome.

RAM: 6 gigs of G.Skill DDR2-800

Woah, that is awesome.

GPU: XFX Nvidia GTX260 core 216

Awesome.

PSU: Mushkin 550w Modular Unit

That's pretty awesome.

Mobo: ASRock A780GXE/128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G ATX

:)

Case: Raidmax Smilodon blck&grn

Sheckshay.

Keyboard: Saitek CYBORG

I use a pretty classic keyboard. Just the plain whitish-pale color.

Mouse: Microsoft Laser Guided

I have one of those in my house, but It's not mine.

Monitor: Gateway 19in LCD

God damn it, everyone has a better monitor than me.

Nice, I use XP.

Games
Half-Life to Ep.2, CS:S, DOD:S, L4D, TF2, Portal, Quake 1-4, Doom 1-3, Oblivion, COD2, CS 1.6

That's quite a lot of games.

I might replace the audio (I stated doing this on page 1 or 2) in morrowind, just like I did with Oblivion. But I kinda like Morrowinds music better than Oblivion, calmer, more neutral. Although, on the other hand, I have way better music now.

Response to The Computer Gaming Club 2009-03-30 17:36:43

At 3/29/09 05:25 PM, Bryan wrote: Damn this shitty XP.

Not that bad, and of course you can join.

At 3/29/09 09:05 PM, JuggaloRB wrote: Games

Damn, nice computer. Also, quite a lot of games you've got there. You, too, can join.

Let's follow some examples: post all of the games you have on your computer, and, if you want, post a short review, too.

Crysis- the graphics are good, and so is the gameplay, but the only thing that dragged it down was that the controls were a bit awkward. If you plan on getting this game, then make sure to assign your own controls, and.....you can pretty much forget about "leaning" left/right.

Crysis Warhead- same as Crysis, but with better gameplay.

Empire: Total war- haven't played it yet, but I heard it was good.

Orange box- everything about this is great. Lol, but I did find some parts of Half Life 2 creepy, like "We Don't Go to Ravenholm Anymore". Team Fortress 2 is probably one of the best multilayer games I've played, this is definitely worth buying, don't worry about the graphics.

Fallout 3- a nice free-roaming game, I did enjoy the gameplay, but I thought the VATS thing made it a bit too easy. It's less of a shooter than a cinematic game. I like the Karma aspect, and all of the thought/detail they put into it. however, I thought that they could improve how fast your character moves, running is extremely slow.

Farcry 2- I love this game. The African landscape is extremely realistic, and the controls are nice and fluid (not awkward). It has a long campaign, many side missions, etc. etc. The only problem with it is that it gets a little annoying that you can barely walk a quarter mile without getting shot at. I still love it, though.

Response to The Computer Gaming Club 2009-04-02 19:16:12

I went on Unreal Tournament 3 about an hour ago. I ended up playing a game of warfare, the game lasted 45 minutes! I would make a video of Morrowind, but I'm pretty new to the game, I would make a video of UT3, but I suck.

Also, I found out the source for the graphic blur problem on UT3. It was resolution, I had my monitor set at 1024x768 while the game was set to 640x480. Unfortunately, trying to optimize results, I set my monitor to 800x600 and the game to 800x600. Didn't work so well, the problem occurred again. Now I play at 1024x768 resolution. Not that blurry at all, and a great frame rate.

And finally, I'm wondering if I have the worst hard disk here. I have a 38.2 GB hard disk. I can't store much, but I can usually conserve space. I actually manage to have 14.7GB left! Awesome optimization skills. But the advantages to having a small hard disk, VERY quick defragmentation, moderately quick virus scanning, and very quick compression.

Response to The Computer Gaming Club 2009-04-04 05:56:34

At 4/2/09 07:16 PM, killslasher wrote: And finally, I'm wondering if I have the worst hard disk here. I have a 38.2 GB hard disk.

Wow, that's miniscule. Mine's over 6 times that size. Just installing most new games would eat through that like crazy, not to mention system files and everything else your computer stores up thanks to Windows and its "temporary" files fetish.

News on my end, I've been playing Team Fortress 2 a whole lot recently, and I've got a new best class I think - the Heavy. Yesterday I unlocked Sandvich, and today I managed to do Natascha. Just the KGB to go now!

Though I perhaps eat Sandvitches a bit excessively... I've already unlocked the achievement for eating 100, and I only got it yesterday... and I was playing on 2Fort at one stage, and was just eating Sandviches trying to regain health... and then a spy came up to me, stared at me for a few seconds, and then backstabbed me.... :(

BBS Signature

Response to The Computer Gaming Club 2009-04-05 17:36:45

At 4/4/09 05:56 AM, ParadoxVoid wrote:
At 4/2/09 07:16 PM, killslasher wrote: And finally, I'm wondering if I have the worst hard disk here. I have a 38.2 GB hard disk.
Wow, that's miniscule. Mine's over 6 times that size. Just installing most new games would eat through that like crazy, not to mention system files and everything else your computer stores up thanks to Windows and its "temporary" files fetish.

Actually, I delete my temporary files pretty frequently. Around twice a day. It only racks up like 500+KB of info. I'm not sure about other temporary files...

Also, I would expect you would have a better hard disk. Though, I have a problem...
http://killslasher.newgrounds.com/news/p ost/293442

I believe I have this virus. Now, I've informed computer hospital about this, and I think they might reach me in a few days or so. In the meanwhile, I am now looking for a very cheap and efficient hard disk.

In stores, obviously there is no such thing as cheap and efficient. Though, at Ebay.ca, there is. I'm not going to purchase anything there for days. The virus could track down potentially essential information such as the password, the credit card, etc. But while I wait for the virus to be excavated or rendered harmless, or non-existent, I will be searching for a large but cheap hard disk in the vicinity of Canada.

Also, if you have information about my problem, please post it on my userpage. Thanks.

Response to The Computer Gaming Club 2009-04-05 17:41:52

Can I join? :)

Specs:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (32bit) (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Motherboard: P5QL PRO
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs)
RAM: 3328MB (actually 4gb's, but my operation system limits that *sad face*)
Graphics Card: 260GTX 856mb's
Internet: Wireless
Hard Drive(s): Internal 250gb, external 938gb

I've been playing a lot of TF2, so PM me for my Steam ID and we can play sometime :)

Timezone: GMT

(Back from the dead!)

Thanks to TheWolfe for letting me steal his sig.

BBS Signature

Response to The Computer Gaming Club 2009-04-05 17:48:50

At 4/5/09 05:41 PM, sirbobsalot2 wrote: Can I join? :)

Of course you can, as long as you are a computer gamer!

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (32bit) (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2

Professional SP3 for me.

Motherboard: P5QL PRO

Sweet.

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs)

Now that is awesome!

RAM: 3328MB (actually 4gb's, but my operation system limits that *sad face*)

I see, powerful RAM anyways. I have 2GB.

Graphics Card: 260GTX 856mb's

Nice, 512MB here!

Internet: Wireless

I'm hooked up.

Hard Drive(s): Internal 250gb, external 938gb

Over 1TB total!? I have 38.2GB.

ParadoxVoid may be able to play with you.

Response to The Computer Gaming Club 2009-04-05 20:24:33

Let's not turn this into a rate my hardware club please.

Response to The Computer Gaming Club 2009-04-05 20:28:45

At 4/5/09 05:41 PM, sirbobsalot2 wrote: Can I join? :)

Sure. :)

At 4/5/09 08:24 PM, TacoFreak wrote: Let's not turn this into a rate my hardware club please.

Yeah, sorry guys. Less talk about specs, more talk about games.
What would you guys say were the Top PC games of all time so far?

Also, is Gary's mod worth it? What exactly IS Gary's mod?

Response to The Computer Gaming Club 2009-04-05 21:11:16

At 4/5/09 08:24 PM, TacoFreak wrote: Let's not turn this into a rate my hardware club please.
Yeah, sorry guys. Less talk about specs, more talk about games.

Yeah, I'm sorry as well. Good point anyways.

Also, is Gary's mod worth it? What exactly IS Gary's mod?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garry%27s_M od
Well I've learned something. I always though Gmod was only for Half-Life...

Response to The Computer Gaming Club 2009-04-05 22:29:26

At 4/5/09 09:11 PM, killslasher wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garry%27s_M od
Well I've learned something. I always though Gmod was only for Half-Life...

Yeah, it sure looks interesting. I've seen some neat screen captures on websites like Halolz that show what can be done with Gmod... some of them are damn funny.

BBS Signature