00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ChironCaverns just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Computer Construction Crew

187,683 Views | 2,279 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-23 18:53:24

At 9/23/09 06:23 PM, TacoFreak wrote: Isn't it cheaper and more efficient to buy normal HDD's? Like getting 2 WD black 640GB's in raid 0 should give you some good speed, add a few more and you've got fast read times.

A WD black 640GB costs $75, whereas a 128GB SSD can cost $330.

4 WD black in raid 0 >>> Shitty SSD

Well, obviously I'd be using the SSDs for OS and applications, not for storage. Two 30 gig drives would be more than enough.

The SSDs are only for fast access when it's really important, they'd be backed by a couple of large HDDs for storage volume.

Dead.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-23 19:56:40

At 9/23/09 06:15 PM, PolishMatt wrote:
At 9/23/09 05:45 PM, TacoFreak wrote: I'm still not sure if it's worth it shelling out $400 on a GPU. I hope that a single 5770 can work for a 24" but I'll see...
Am I missing something here? I don't even know where to start.

At 9/23/09 06:05 PM, Reaper93 wrote: Care to elaborate?
There is nothing to elaborate on. Your processor is a moderate slow poke and you don't even know what mobo you're running on.

You WOULDN'T know where to start, you don't even know how to cool off a processor! I tried being nice, but all you want to do is insult my budget-limited system and wank off to Linux.

So let me break this shit down for you right now. I'm only going to go over this once, so pay attention and you might learn a thing or two.

Your recommendation, firstly, of a new heatsink is completely laughable because thermodynamics DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY! You can't passively transfer heat from an object to its environment if they are the same temperature! The problem is CLEARLY that my ambient case temperature is the same as my low-end idle temps for my CPU, indicating that it is going to be an obviously limiting factor in passive heat transfer. You should write that down so you don't get poor folks who don't know any better to waste their money like you recommended to me.

Second, don't even get me started on your bollocks CPU temp comparison, pal. You're comparing temperatures between CPUs not even in the same series of architecture, nevermind a different manufacturing process, voltage, and ambient environment; it's apples to oranges. Hell, they don't even have the same responsiveness to FSB boosts. Before you make such a daft comparison again, you should remember to look at context. Is comparing the temperatures of a 4870 on stock fanspeeds with a gtx 260 on stock fanspeeds necessarily a good idea? No, because the 4870's stock fanspeed is a lot lower and it's designed for operating at high temperatures. Much the same way comparing temperatures between an i7 and a core 2 on 65nm is a poor idea because the i7 is designed to run with less voltage and be much more thermally efficient to begin with.

I'd be a lot more surprised at your temperatures if they WEREN'T well below mine.

And finally, I "don't even know what motherboard I have"? You think I do a week of research on motherboards, comparing features and stability to price extensively and I don't even KNOW WHAT MOTHERBOARD I HAVE? I don't find it convenient to memorize my manufacturing number you stupid twat, it's not my social security number or bank PIN, it's just another piece of useless information if the motherboard works like it should. If I don't memorize every aspect of my PC am I an inferior system builder? If I don't throw money into the trash just so I can wave my e-peen around threads like this with the "latest and greatest" hardware am I a poor system builder, then? Take a hike you clown, I know your game and I'm not here to play it.

@TacoFreak:

You had confused me because you used the present tense verbs in relation to the 5770, which clearly isn't released yet, making me think you had gotten the model number wrong rather than the verb tense. My apologies, I got it backwards.

But if the 4770 is anything to go on, the 5770 will be roughly a 5850 probably with an improved manufacturing process.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-23 20:23:19

At 9/23/09 07:56 PM, Reaper93 wrote: rage

lol

@TacoFreak:
But if the 4770 is anything to go on, the 5770 will be roughly a 5850 probably with an improved manufacturing process.

Estimates put the 5770 at roughly 1.8 times as powerful as a 4770; putting it somewhere around a 4870's territory. The 5770 is still 40nm, all the chips are. I think the next GPU die-shrink is 28nm, but we won't be seeing that for a while.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-23 20:27:35

Well, French, I would've been nicer but see I had to correct both his arrogance AND his ignorance simultaneously. That needs, like, double strength cleaner with stain remover and scrubbing bubbles.

As for the 5770 information, have any links to reputable sources?

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-23 20:49:59

He's Polishmatt, you get used to him.

As for the links, this was the article I must have been talking about. And correction, 1.6 times better than the 4770.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-23 21:13:48

At 9/23/09 07:56 PM, Reaper93 wrote: You WOULDN'T know where to start, you don't even know how to cool off a processor! I tried being nice, but all you want to do is insult my budget-limited system and wank off to Linux.

Now you just made yourself look like a huge fucking douche bag. If you're so fucking great at cooling, why are you still stuck at 3.4. Plus, grammar fail. In fact, you don't even make any sense.

So let me break this shit down for you right now. I'm only going to go over this once, so pay attention and you might learn a thing or two.

Fuck you.

Your recommendation, firstly, of a new heatsink is completely laughable because thermodynamics DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY! You can't passively transfer heat from an object to its environment if they are the same temperature!

Remove the side panel and your stupid issue disappears from existance. I had it set up like that for 3 years with my old rig and hadn't had a a single issue with it for the entire time.

You should write that down so you don't get poor folks who don't know any better to waste their money like you recommended to me.

You basically just stated that you can concur your high temperature issues and get to ridiculous over clocks if your case wasn't keeping so much heat inside. Face it, your HS is part of the issue.

Second, don't even get me started on your bollocks CPU temp comparison, pal.

I won't bother arguing that it was a bad comparison but it was mainly to bring up what was capable of being done with a good heatsink.

Hell, they don't even have the same responsiveness to FSB boosts.

The i7 doesn't have FSB to begin with.

You think I do a week of research on motherboards, comparing features and stability to price extensively and I don't even KNOW WHAT MOTHERBOARD I HAVE?

Aside from never specifying that you do a week of research on motherboards, comparing features and stability to price extensively in the first place and also posting "Some Gigabyte motherboard (one o' the durable ones)" in the spec list the other day; I think it was fair to make the assumption that you were just another turd that knew absolutely nothing.

I don't find it convenient to memorize my manufacturing number you stupid twat,

It's not fucking hard to remember three to six characters. Who's the fucking stupid twat now?

it's not my social security number or bank PIN, it's just another piece of useless information if the motherboard works like it should. If I don't memorize every aspect of my PC am I an inferior system builder? If I don't throw money into the trash just so I can wave my e-peen around threads like this with the "latest and greatest" hardware am I a poor system builder, then? Take a hike you clown, I know your game and I'm not here to play it.

I hate how you're taking everything so fucking personally. You think I wake up everyday with the thought in my head that I'm going to go on the web and laugh at people who have a inferior calculator to mine? I fucking help people out here, look at the last 50 pages, nothing but suggestions and hours of my own time put into helping people build cost effect builds JUST SO THEY COULD HAVE A FEW BUCKS FOR OTHER CRAP THAT THEY NEED IN THEIR LIFE BECAUSE FOR ONE THING, I HATED THE PIECE OF SHIT PENTIUM D I WAS HAVING TO USE FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS, JUST BECAUSE EVERYTHING WAS SO DAMN EXPENSIVE.

I have some serious work to get done and when I was faced with adding 286 photos onto one canvas for a school project due the next day; in PS CS2, you think I enjoyed staying up all night for 6 hours working and constantly checking my Task Manager to shut off unneeded resource huggers that kept opening up and that were killing the already fully utilized 2GB of RAM I had installed? Fuck no and that's why I finally saved up some money after years of waiting and said 'fuck it' and built a nice computer.

----------------

I'm taking a break from this forum and the site in general, for at least a month. This is just too much.

At the very minimum.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-23 22:30:23

At 9/23/09 09:13 PM, PolishMatt wrote: Now you just made yourself look like a huge fucking douche bag. If you're so fucking great at cooling, why are you still stuck at 3.4. Plus, grammar fail. In fact, you don't even make any sense.

Temperatures aren't everything. Take my computer for example. I made the mistake of buying a piece of crap ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus which has so many FSB holes on it that I gave up trying to go over 3.26 with a Q6600. Plus the nVidia 680i chipset sucked so much. Combined that fact with the lousy drivers on my 8800 Ultra that I don't think I'll ever buy another nVidia related product ever again.

Now I have to wait until I have enough money to upgrade to an i7.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-23 22:42:14

At 9/23/09 09:13 PM, PolishMatt wrote:
At 9/23/09 07:56 PM, Reaper93 wrote: You WOULDN'T know where to start, you don't even know how to cool off a processor! I tried being nice, but all you want to do is insult my budget-limited system and wank off to Linux.
Now you just made yourself look like a huge fucking douche bag. If you're so fucking great at cooling, why are you still stuck at 3.4. Plus, grammar fail. In fact, you don't even make any sense.

No, you are the one who is a douchebag. I put up a mild fascimile of my build to show I am not a clueless nonce and you call it a bad build, then recommend me to waste money on a pointless cooler! I'll go over why I'm not "stuck" at 3.4 later.

Further, my grammar is perfect in that instance. If you can find flaw with it in that sentence then please DO point it out. I take pride in my grammar and spelling as I do in my technical skills, if there is an error I would be appreciative if you could correct it for me so I don't make it again.

And if you actually understood what I've been saying, you'd know the reason I'm "stuck" at 3.4 GHz is because I didn't WANT to go any higher and my case is limiting my temperature as I have explained TWICE now.

Fuck you.

You too babe.

Your recommendation, firstly, of a new heatsink is completely laughable because thermodynamics DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY! You can't passively transfer heat from an object to its environment if they are the same temperature!
Remove the side panel and your stupid issue disappears from existance. I had it set up like that for 3 years with my old rig and hadn't had a a single issue with it for the entire time.

So you FINALLY understand? Good lad, keep that up. Also if I wanted a dust collector I'd buy a tacky vase. The side panel is on my PC for a reason: to keep the air flowing and not just circulating as well as to keep out unwanted particles and objects. It can do neither if it is removed.

You should write that down so you don't get poor folks who don't know any better to waste their money like you recommended to me.
You basically just stated that you can concur your high temperature issues and get to ridiculous over clocks if your case wasn't keeping so much heat inside. Face it, your HS is part of the issue.

Ok. Let me see if I get this logic straight.

High temperature is an issue. A heatsink will not decrease temperature, but opening the case will.

So the heatsink is the problem? Good job on that one. Finally you have this idea in your head that I want to hit "ridiculous overclocks" and that temperature is apparently standing in my way. I stopped overclocking not from temperature but because CPU stability testing is a total pain in the ass. It's fast enough. I don't want it to go any faster, it isn't too hot, there is no problem here.

Second, don't even get me started on your bollocks CPU temp comparison, pal.
I won't bother arguing that it was a bad comparison but it was mainly to bring up what was capable of being done with a good heatsink.

In this case it is what is possible with a better CPU. Your cooler is probably about as effective as mine if it's still air-cooling but a core i7 is drastically more efficient with its thermal envelope.

Hell, they don't even have the same responsiveness to FSB boosts.
The i7 doesn't have FSB to begin with.

QPI, whatever. Point remains their clocks do not even integrate with the motherboard the same way.

You think I do a week of research on motherboards, comparing features and stability to price extensively and I don't even KNOW WHAT MOTHERBOARD I HAVE?
Aside from never specifying that you do a week of research on motherboards, comparing features and stability to price extensively in the first place and also posting "Some Gigabyte motherboard (one o' the durable ones)" in the spec list the other day; I think it was fair to make the assumption that you were just another turd that knew absolutely nothing.

No, that would be you. Beginner's mistake. It's not like I've mentioned my higher-education level electronic qualifications in that post or anything, or that I've put the thing together myself so I obviously did some research. Or... wait I did. How silly of me.

I don't find it convenient to memorize my manufacturing number you stupid twat,
It's not fucking hard to remember three to six characters. Who's the fucking stupid twat now?

'cause "EP45-UD3R" is three to six characters and really rolls off the tongue doesn't it?

it's not my social security number or bank PIN, it's just another piece of useless information if the motherboard works like it should. If I don't memorize every aspect of my PC am I an inferior system builder? If I don't throw money into the trash just so I can wave my e-peen around threads like this with the "latest and greatest" hardware am I a poor system builder, then? Take a hike you clown, I know your game and I'm not here to play it.
I hate how you're taking everything so fucking personally. You think I wake up everyday with the thought in my head that I'm going to go on the web and laugh at people who have a inferior calculator to mine? I fucking help people out here, look at the last 50 pages, nothing but suggestions and hours of my own time put into helping people build cost effect builds JUST SO THEY COULD HAVE A FEW BUCKS FOR OTHER CRAP THAT THEY NEED IN THEIR LIFE BECAUSE FOR ONE THING, I HATED THE PIECE OF SHIT PENTIUM D I WAS HAVING TO USE FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS, JUST BECAUSE EVERYTHING WAS SO DAMN EXPENSIVE.

I hate how you insult my hard work and wave around that you've spent so much money on your computer. Frankly it's VERY unprofessional and unbecoming, if that story's true you of ALL PEOPLE should know not to do what you were just doing. I come in here respecting the people in the thread and expecting respect in return and got pointless contempt out of you. My clockspeeds were "sluggish", my build was "awkward", and then you tell me to do something I know is wrong already? That's like adding insult to injury.

I'm taking a break from this forum and the site in general, for at least a month. This is just too much.

At the very minimum.

You brought that on yourself, and I'm sorry if it's too much for you. Your attitude towards me was very condescending and I did not appreciate it. You tell me my build is fucked up, don't give me a reason, then give me worthless advice which paints you as a total incompetant. It's like somebody who can't even paint taking a shot at Michelangelo. I know that's a bit of an extreme example, but I don't appreciate people insulting work I've done in my professionally certified career, especially when the person doing the insulting does not show themselves to be consistently capable.

A 4.2 GHz clock speed is wonderful, quite high in fact. But then not understanding basic cooling? Forgive me if I believe you portrayed yourself as a bit of a one-hit wonder in that regard.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-23 23:01:27

yoy oyo

im thinkin of joinin dis place rite here. i have a MACINTOsH, AKA da greatest computer evr. i got a 20 GB hard drive (dont get 2 jealous) and sum pro specz.

so ye, i should fit rite on it!!

how many of u cool cats got da m to the a to the c MAC MAC MAC.

peace out ~post

¥

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-24 02:01:19

...I'm gonna let somebody else handle this one :)

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-24 05:55:01

At 9/23/09 11:01 PM, Post wrote: yoy oyo

im thinkin of joinin dis place rite here. i have a MACINTOsH, AKA da greatest computer evr. i got a 20 GB hard drive (dont get 2 jealous) and sum pro specz.

so ye, i should fit rite on it!!

how many of u cool cats got da m to the a to the c MAC MAC MAC.

Macs are the best, but since you're so tech-savvy, I'm sure you know that macs can't be built. Us techies have been trying to keep up for years, but it's just not gonna work. I've asked a mod to lock this thread because macs rule so hard.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-24 05:59:15

At 9/24/09 05:55 AM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: Macs are the best, but since you're so tech-savvy, I'm sure you know that macs can't be built. Us techies have been trying to keep up for years, but it's just not gonna work. I've asked a mod to lock this thread because macs rule so hard.

Lol trolled.

Anyways, I've been tempted to make a computer myself, I know it isn't as confusing as it seems. I'm just a bit worried I wouldn't be able to pull it off.

¥

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-24 07:14:56

At 9/24/09 05:59 AM, Post wrote: Lol trolled.

One can only feel sorry for someone as special as you.

Anyway, I have plans of buying a Razer Deathadder and a Razer Lycosa to go along with my build. I'm wondering if I should actually buy these, or just go for something much cheaper. Those two items alone are costing around £90.

I think the Deathadder is going to be a "must have" for me but I'm not so sure about the Lycosa. Opinions?

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-24 15:49:12

I have a Lycosa and love it to death. It's a very simple keyboard layout (no ridiculously huge extra buttons et c.) looks cool, goes with my color scheme (black and blue), and has media player controls and macros. The macros I've not used very much (though at one point I did have my entire F-row bound to launch various games :p)

In short, after several keyboards of crappy origins I wasn't really happy with, the Lycosa did it for me. It was a little expensive, but it does everything I ask it to (I've only ever had one problem about two times since I bought it over a year ago, where one of the WASD keys gets stuck on, but I think that's from something to do with the media controls being botched because last time it happened while I was switching songs in-game). I can't speak about the company's mice, though; I just use a Logitech G5 which I'm fairly happy with.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-24 16:08:30

I just use a basic Logitech keyboard and a MX518 mouse. It works great for gaming.

Anyway, I've got my old CPU sold, but I still need to sell my old motherboard. I bet I will have trouble with selling it.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-24 18:19:21

Why would that be, what model is it?

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-24 18:21:34

Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H

Also has this minor defect where in quick paced games such as FPSes you can notice very slight stuttering.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-24 18:26:34

I'm starting to get frustrated. After all my plans to go ahead and build a desktop, it now seems more beneficial if I get a laptop. As a student it would obviously come in handy to use in class. I high spec laptop is going to cost me a lot more than I am willing to pay for what I get in return. My original main reason for building a desktop was gaming, but now I have to choose practicality over entertainment.

Damn, this sucks!

But anyway, would anyone be able to recommend me a nice laptop priced under £900? I've been looking at Sony Vaios and Acer Aspire Gemstone Blues. I found a Gemstone Blue that I was ready to pounce on, and then realised it was out of stock and the way Acer word their website gave me the impression that I'm never going to see this exact version for sale again.

Obviously I'd rather have a desktop, although a laptop seems the logical thing to buy right now.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-24 18:36:47

Get a netbook and a gaming desktop for the same price as a midrange gaming laptop.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-24 18:47:13

At 9/24/09 06:36 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: Get a netbook and a gaming desktop for the same price as a midrange gaming laptop.

It really is an "either or" situation. I need a laptop, not a netbook. I need a laptop that will at least be able to handle Second Life which we use to learn content creation and scripting techniques. Right now the only other programs that I need to run are Flash CS3 and BlueJ, although I'm sure there will be more in future modules.

I currently have a laptop and no desktop, but it is not the most portable of things. It's not light enough to lift with one hand, unlike a lot of the more modern systems. It's specs aren't great either, with only a 2GHz single core processor and 1GB of RAM running Vista.

I really don't know what to choose. Desktop or laptop. My heart says desktop and my head says laptop. The reason I wanted people to recommend some laptops is so that I could get a clearer idea of what I'm going to be able to get for my money. Sony Vaios are nice, but a little over priced when comparing to some other systems, like the Acer Asprire Gemstone Blues, which I can't seem to get a hold of.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-24 19:47:16

While flipping through the Staples flyers today, I noticed something odd. It had advertisments for RAM. However, for some reason, a 1GB stick of DDR RAM was like 70 bucks, where as a 2GB stick of DDR2 RAM was at least 10 bucks cheaper. I always thought that DDR2 would be more expensive, since it's newer, and besides, its an extra gig. Is there something I'm missing here, or am I just retarded?

This looks froody.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-24 20:33:14

Whatever is the most mainstream standard will be the cheapest. DDR is an outdated standard, so it has a much lower supply and demand, thus, the price is higher. The same will happen as DDR3 becomes the new norm. I remember last year when a good 4GB of DDR3 was $400.

I've seen a 2400PRO "on sale" at best buy for $140. Unless you live near a microcenter or fry's, always order online.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-24 21:07:47

At 9/24/09 08:33 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: Whatever is the most mainstream standard will be the cheapest. DDR is an outdated standard, so it has a much lower supply and demand, thus, the price is higher. The same will happen as DDR3 becomes the new norm. I remember last year when a good 4GB of DDR3 was $400.

I've seen a 2400PRO "on sale" at best buy for $140. Unless you live near a microcenter or fry's, always order online.

Ahh. I was planning on ordering online anyway, which brings me back to another question that I asked earlier. It just kinda got buried in the Reaper vs. PolishMatt kerfuffle. Should I order my parts all at once, or get them as I go? ( ie, case, then mobo, then processor, then HDD, etc)

This looks froody.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-24 22:04:27

At 9/24/09 09:07 PM, XIII13 wrote: Ahh. I was planning on ordering online anyway, which brings me back to another question that I asked earlier. It just kinda got buried in the Reaper vs. PolishMatt kerfuffle. Should I order my parts all at once, or get them as I go? ( ie, case, then mobo, then processor, then HDD, etc)

All at once. It'll save you the headache of waiting for different parts over a long span of time. Plus the shipping will probably be cheaper.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-24 23:08:02

At 9/24/09 06:26 PM, GodsBitch wrote: But anyway, would anyone be able to recommend me a nice laptop priced under £900? I've been looking at Sony Vaios and Acer Aspire Gemstone Blues. I found a Gemstone Blue that I was ready to pounce on, and then realised it was out of stock and the way Acer word their website gave me the impression that I'm never going to see this exact version for sale again.

Obviously I'd rather have a desktop, although a laptop seems the logical thing to buy right now.

I just last month got an ASUS N81VP-C1 for $1100 CAD (around $1000 USD). I can play L4D Max Settings with no lag. Good deal and no problems yet with it (other than a lot of finger smudges on the plastic casing. I was looking for a 14" notebook with a high end graphics card because I had a 15" before this one and it was freaking heavy to lug around to classes. I believe the N81 line was cheap for the amount of power it gives. Lenovo, Dell, Sony, Apple, were all expensive for my wanted specs. This looks good. I don't know the market in Europe though.

At 9/24/09 07:47 PM, XIII13 wrote: While flipping through the Staples flyers today, I noticed something odd. It had advertisments for RAM. However, for some reason, a 1GB stick of DDR RAM was like 70 bucks, where as a 2GB stick of DDR2 RAM was at least 10 bucks cheaper. I always thought that DDR2 would be more expensive, since it's newer, and besides, its an extra gig. Is there something I'm missing here, or am I just retarded?

DDR RAM is old legacy hardware so they can charge higher prices. DDR2 is much more competitive due to its volume sales. Check out this $3 CAD DDR3 SODIMM RAM.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-25 06:04:46

At 9/24/09 09:07 PM, XIII13 wrote: Ahh. I was planning on ordering online anyway, which brings me back to another question that I asked earlier. It just kinda got buried in the Reaper vs. PolishMatt kerfuffle. Should I order my parts all at once, or get them as I go? ( ie, case, then mobo, then processor, then HDD, etc)

It depends what parts at what times. For example, I'm getting a sound card for my xmas build, but because a sound card is an easy drop-in upgrade, I can buy one for my birthday and use it in my system until my new rig.

Generally though it's easier and cheaper to buy everything at once, plus it's like Christmas when you root through a box for different parts.

At 9/24/09 11:08 PM, Wylo wrote: I just last month got an ASUS N81VP-C1 for $1100 CAD (around $1000 USD). I can play L4D Max Settings with no lag.

Asus makes great gaming laptops. Highly recommend anything from them. I believe they even have an unlocked bios to OC with.

DDR RAM is old legacy hardware so they can charge higher prices. DDR2 is much more competitive due to its volume sales. Check out this $3 CAD DDR3 SODIMM RAM.

I don't trust mail-in rebates as far as I can throw them.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-25 07:32:33

At 9/25/09 06:04 AM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote:
It depends what parts at what times. For example, I'm getting a sound card for my xmas build, but because a sound card is an easy drop-in upgrade, I can buy one for my birthday and use it in my system until my new rig.

Generally though it's easier and cheaper to buy everything at once, plus it's like Christmas when you root through a box for different parts.

All right, I'll wait. It's not like I'm getting specific parts to replace in a rig, its bulding a whole new one. It'll probably be near Christmas by the time I get all the parts, anyway. :P

At 9/24/09 11:08 PM, Wylo wrote: DDR RAM is old legacy hardware so they can charge higher prices. DDR2 is much more competitive due to its volume sales. Check out this $3 CAD DDR3 SODIMM RAM.
I don't trust mail-in rebates as far as I can throw them.

You gotta admit though, that's a pretty intense price even without the rebate.

This looks froody.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-25 07:53:15

Can I please get someones opinion on value for money and performance of this laptop.

Link might not work right now. The site seems to be going down quite a lot just now.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-25 11:07:38

Please forget my last post. Laptops are in my head no more, desktop is the final decision.

I got PolishMatt to make me a list of parts from MicroDirect, and was only told today by a friend who builds A LOT of computers that Scan have a few pounds cheaper on almost all parts. Might not seem like much, but when you add up all the savings it could come to a considerable amount. I tried to relocate all that parts on that site, but had trouble finding a few parts, either because there were a few of the same name but differing prices or I just plain couldn't find them.

Would someone be able to take a look at my most recent news post and track down most of those parts on Scan.co.uk for me? I know this sounds really lazy, but that's not why I ask this of you. I'm really paranoid that I pick the wrong parts as this is my first build and all. I'm getting a different case to the one listed on my news post, and I'll be happy with any decent monitor that you can recommend me.

If anyone takes the time to do this for me and have a final check over my system to make sure I haven't missed anything I will be most grateful. I'm sure once I get my first build over and done with I'll be able to offer some help to other users in the crew as oppose to my regular asking for help posts.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-25 11:18:20

lol dont get intel