00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted lok supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

johnnycancer's Art Thread

28,819 Views | 223 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-11-06 21:13:19

At 11/6/12 07:44 PM, Tomsan wrote:
At 11/6/12 06:42 PM, ForskinGump wrote: Cool works! The only thing I can think that bothers me is everyone seems awfully stiff in their poses, but that kind of works into the way you draw it somehow. Might be worth improving though

I like it
Hmm I might not have a good eye for it, but one of the things I really enjoy about these drawings is their ever changing and lively poses. I cant really place the stiffness. Maybe its due to the fact it isnt colored/ shaded?

I don't know...I think it's a valid criticism. It's possible somewhere back in this thread that criticism has been made already.

One thing that I have really neglected in trying to teach myself how to draw is life drawing. Not that I never draw from life, but I haven't really spent the time on it that I should have.

So, sometimes I have a pose in my head that I'm trying to draw, but I realize that I have no idea how all the body parts would actually connect in a realistic setting. Obviously, if it's possible, I try to find a reference and work from that. But, given the nature of the comic references can be hard to come by as I'm not doing things like "seated nude" so much as I am drawing "nude flying through the air and tackling a tentacled shy guy." So, sometimes I am just winging it, and that's probably why poses look weird or stiff.

Anyway, I appreciate both of you taking the time to comment on my thread and hopefully I can use this to continue to improve.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-11-09 16:06:17

Well, issue 3 of my comic Delirium is on sale now so it's time for a little shameless plugging!

This issue we've got naked blondes, blood witches, death cults, Tchernobog, shotguns, bunny monsters, and of course, an angel in a hockey mask punching his way through his problems!

Check out an exclusive seven page preview of issue 3 right here on Newgrounds:

Once that's gotten you in the mood, click HERE to BUY the comic!

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-11-14 16:09:53

Well it took awhile to get to this update. I don't know what happened but this first page just took damn near forever and I couldn't find a pose I liked and I finally decided I just needed to get something down and move on.

Anyway, my schedule is a little bit different now so I probably won't be updating every day anymore. Maybe two or three times a week, but we'll see how things go.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2013-01-03 21:09:11

At 11/14/12 04:09 PM, johnnycancer wrote: Anyway, my schedule is a little bit different now so I probably won't be updating every day anymore. Maybe two or three times a week, but we'll see how things go.

Or, you know, a month and a half. Whatever.

One of the things I wanted to include in the fourth issue were character profiles to give a little more information and background (and proper names) to some of the characters. The reason there's all that white space is because it's going to be filled up with text in the final version. I'll probably write the text by hand, just to stay consistent. Plus I've got pretty good handwriting.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2013-01-04 08:00:47

At 1/3/13 09:09 PM, johnnycancer wrote:

One of the things I wanted to include in the fourth issue were character profiles to give a little more information and background (and proper names) to some of the characters. The reason there's all that white space is because it's going to be filled up with text in the final version. I'll probably write the text by hand, just to stay consistent. Plus I've got pretty good handwriting.

I was wondering where you went.

tbh I personally very much dislike character profiles. It gives such a "game" feeling to it. The information should become apparent naturally, while reading the stories. Also I wouldnt care about her weight or exact size and that kinda thing.

If youre gonna include information, like if she was raised by a single mother or whatever and that does not come back in the story its totally stupid, apparently irrelevant, information, but if it does come back in the story why put it in an information sheet?

I feel that those sheets need to be made by fans, who read it and are willing to summarize the character.

On the other hand, if youre creating non linear stories, someone might not understand certain references, So I guess I understand why you want this.

God invented evolution 'cause he couldn't do it all by himself! Awesome Tees!

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2013-01-04 14:31:47

At 1/4/13 08:00 AM, Tomsan wrote: tbh I personally very much dislike character profiles. It gives such a "game" feeling to it. The information should become apparent naturally, while reading the stories. Also I wouldnt care about her weight or exact size and that kinda thing.

That's a very good point. Although, I think due to the nature of a black and white book there are certain things that might not be naturally apparent ever. Tehra is blonde with blue eyes for example, but so far she's only appeared in color on the cover once on the third book, so reading the first two books (or the fourth, because that's going to have Blackhand on the front) you wouldn't naturally be aware of that. That's a small point, but there are other things too. The weaponry in G.E.R.L.'s hand, for example is called a "Grindcutter." It's referred to in passing once in the third issue, but from what people who have read it have told me, it's really not clear what's being referred to in that exchange.

Even if I don't use these in the books, at some point soon here I'd like to have a website up and running for Delirium and I'll probably have the character profiles on there.

I feel that those sheets need to be made by fans, who read it and are willing to summarize the character.

I guess I can dream but I'm not waiting for fans to put together the wiki on this one.

On the other hand, if youre creating non linear stories, someone might not understand certain references, So I guess I understand why you want this.

I don't even think it's an issue of non-linearity. The G.E.R.L. storyline is completely linear, but I just had a friend tell me that he has no idea what's going on in G.E.R.L. and he's read every issue up to this point.

At a certain point length of a story becomes an issue in terms of just remembering what happened and why. I try to have characters reference events from previous issues through dialogue, but that's not necessarily always going to be possible. I've been debating having a short one page feature to introduce each story to basically explain "What happened last issue." It would be more of a gag than anything, as the idea I had was that the characters were undergoing psychiatric evaluation and recounting certain events to a doctor. But that also becomes more of a narrative frame and I don't really like that as a device for Kingdom of Monsters or G.E.R.L.

Anyway, in other news, I've been contacted to draw some pinups of some female characters at Capricorn Comix and the art is going to be featured in a table book at Heroes Con. So that's exciting.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2013-01-15 01:51:59

Oh blood witch, you're so delightfully psychotic. And sexy. So unnervingly sexy...

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2016-08-01 00:55:25

You know, I haven't posted here in a long time. A long, long time.

I'm not dead though. Just dreaming.

But really, this is one of the few places that I post art because it was the first community of artists that I was ever a part of. I'm kind of a bad son, in that I disappear for a long time and I don't keep in touch, but just know that I still think about you, even when I'm gone.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2016-08-02 11:44:50

At 8/1/16 12:55 AM, johnnycancer wrote: You know, I haven't posted here in a long time. A long, long time.

But really, this is one of the few places that I post art because it was the first community of artists that I was ever a part of. I'm kind of a bad son, in that I disappear for a long time and I don't keep in touch, but just know that I still think about you, even when I'm gone.

Welcome back man!

I'm the same way, except I don't disappear for years at a time. ;)

Great work on this, I love the dark figure on the right.. I hope to see you continue posting!

"People could care less about you, what people really care about though, is the image of you. The idea of you."

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2016-08-04 22:40:46

At 8/1/16 12:55 AM, johnnycancer wrote: You know, I haven't posted here in a long time. A long, long time.

This is a colored version which is in progress right now. Probably should have just posted this first, this looks more impressive.

BBS Signature

Well, it's progressing somewhere...

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2016-08-06 23:30:10

At 8/6/16 05:11 PM, johnnycancer wrote: Well, it's progressing somewhere...

I think this is done...

It looks blue the way that I wanted it to look blue. That probably makes no sense.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2016-08-12 22:00:11

I decided to rough out the colors for this one before I ink and color it for real, but honestly I think it looks pretty good just like this.

The first version of this was horrible, incidentally.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2016-09-18 21:59:59

Inspired by some really cool promotional art for an RPG Maker game called Star Quest. You can read more about it here: http://8bitcity.blogspot.com/2011/01/star-quest.html

BBS Signature