00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kiler91 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

johnnycancer's Art Thread

28,748 Views | 223 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-11-02 01:37:28

Update on what I posted a couple of days ago. This is NSFW, so, if you think having a naked woman on your computer screen might be a bad idea, don't scroll down

Anyway, this is a detail from the larger picture (although, it's not like there's much interesting stuff that was cropped out). I'm not ready to say this is finished yet; I know there's still some stuff I need to work on with it. But I do like how it's turning out so far, and I've tried something slightly different and used different colors other than shades of gray to do the shading, which I think looks pretty good.

It's been such a long week, so, it's really been a relief to be able to just sit down and work on some art...anyway, I'll keep trying to post stuff periodically, but November and December are going tob e crazy for me, so, in the event that I suddenly disappear for a few weeks, don't be too alarmed.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-11-02 16:23:29

Thought I'd bump my art thread back up with a random drawing from a while back. Gotta love the pink tie.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-11-02 16:30:02

some of your stuff is wicked, i really like your style and the attention to detail in the backgrounds and atmosphere

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-11-02 22:56:43

At 11/2/08 04:30 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: some of your stuff is wicked, i really like your style and the attention to detail in the backgrounds and atmosphere

Thanks Captain!

Anyway, here's another NSFW update, so, you oughta know the drill by now.

I am tempted to say this is done; I might look at it in a few days and decide I want to do more to it, but, right now I pretty much like the way it is. It's got sort of a nice fantasy vibe to it, and, not that my stuff doesn't have fantasy elements to it rather often, but, I do think my style tends to be a little more gritty, generally speaking. So it was fun to just do something more along the lines of a fantasy pinup girl.

As per usual:

Things I dislike about the picture: I could not get the hair natural looking at all, it's really flat and it's just lying on top of her head; Chymo already mentioned anatomy problems; I did the best I could with trying to have a consistent light source, but, I realize it's still not quite consistent with the moon there in the sky; and the stars are a bit sloppy.

Things I like about the picture: I really like the color scheme - I guess I can do colorful pictures pretty well; for me at least, something about the overall picture is rather soothing, despite the giant statue of Death hanging out in it; and I think I did a good job of retaining my traditional cell shading style of coloring while making things look a little softer and less flat by smoothing out the shadows a bit.

Anyway, is there anything I've posted that people want to see full-sized? If so I'll go ahead and try and get all the full-sized pics uploaded somewhere. I guess I could just do that anyway, but it's a little bit of work on my part, and I don't want to do it unless there's some interest.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-11-03 00:16:25

nice, these are pretty cool. i like the colors on the knife guy.... the girl is nicely colored but her eyes are a bit too far apart i think and her hips need to be bigger. you see where the left upper thigh connects to the hip, needs to be broader. nice colors tho.

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-11-03 00:42:57

At 11/3/08 12:16 AM, jagondudo wrote: nice, these are pretty cool. i like the colors on the knife guy.... the girl is nicely colored but her eyes are a bit too far apart i think and her hips need to be bigger. you see where the left upper thigh connects to the hip, needs to be broader. nice colors tho.

Hey! Thanks for the constructive criticism. How's your thumb?

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-11-03 00:49:15

better, i'll post some art in a bit :]

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-11-03 15:45:01

This is pretty NSFW, so, avert your eyes if ye be in a place where female nudity be frowned upon

I feel like I've had to type NSFW a lot lately...anyway, I think everybody's got a devil girl drawing lying around somewhere. This one's mine; it's not particularly original, and I really don't have much to say about it. It's from about 2 years ago, and, although I still generally make a lot of the same mistakes, I like to think that I'm slightly better at what I do now.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-11-03 15:53:39

Hey look everybody, it's my profile pic! This is from a couple of years ago as well.

It's a fairly run of the mill pen and ink sketch; actually inked using a technical pen, which didn't come out that badly, although, I only resort to that when I don't have a crow quill handy. This is actually one of the few things I've posted where you can see me use crosshatching and whatnot - it's not that I don't know how to shade that way, it's just that for things which are going to be colored on a computer later, the crosshatching lines tend to get in the way rather than actually add anything, at least in my experience.

This was actually shaded in a slightly different manner than I normally used GIMP; the dodge and burn tools were my best friends on this one. The results were actually pretty good, but, it's probably a lot easier to just use varying shades of gray to achieve the same effect.

I should mention that it's a self-portrait of sorts; kind of my artistic avatar. He manages to make it into a lot of stuff, now that I think about it...

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-11-04 00:08:11

You're getting pretty damn good at what you do, keep it up :)

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-11-04 04:58:08

At 11/4/08 12:08 AM, Slippery-Nipple wrote: You're getting pretty damn good at what you do, keep it up :)

I do like to think that I'm slowly improving. Anyhoo, here's another NSFW work in progress - so no scrolling down unless you really feel compelled to do so.

I don't have a lot to say about this. It has its problems, but, I'm sort of invested in it, so, I'm going to finish it out. The background was improvised because I felt it needed something; it will probably change later, although, I guess it doesn't look that bad. So yeah, generally happy with the progress so far, but acknowledge that it's not perfect.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-11-04 16:35:50

Another NSFW update.

I think I like the blue background better...also added some highlights and some other additional coloring. Not sure if this is better or worse than the previous status update.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-11-04 18:31:27

Actually something not NSFW for a change. Ol' Captain-Ben got me thinking about painting. I haven't done a painting in a while, but, tomorrow is always another day to utterly fail at something, so, I might do one when I've got more time.

In the meantime, here's a very old painting I did when I was in high school. This might be 9 years old now; good god I'm getting old...

This is a photo, so, forgive some of the blurriness.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-11-05 05:51:34

Another update on my nude on a chair. Still NSFW, so, scroll down with caution.

Getting closer to being done anyway; may or may not update on it anymore unless it changes dramatically.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-11-05 21:30:45

dude your drawings are cool allot of detail in them good job :D

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-11-05 22:05:50

Okay! Now for my first post!
.....They SUCK. (:P Kidding lol)
Naw, this stuff's pretty wicked; better than I can do that's for sure.
I know it's been said already but your detail is pretty sweet. Keep up the good work! :D

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-11-06 04:17:09

Thanks for all the comments, everyone who has posted a reply recently.

Anyway, here's some more pen and ink lineart that will likely end up being colored in the near future. This contains nudity, so, just be warned that's what's beyond the dots.

Gonna try and add some foliage on the trees once I start going over it in GIMP. Gotta learn to draw hands well at some point. The shoulders may be too broad, but, I really can't tell at the moment.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-11-07 03:47:11

Update on the sketch I posted the other day. It's got nudity in it in case you don't recall, so, bear that in mind as you scroll down.

I like the colors so far; feels very...warm. The flowers probably need to be redone, since they didn't quite turn out the way I would have liked. Also, the more I look at this the more I realize that's a really awkward pose. So yeah, probably will have another update on this at some point. Doesn't look too bad right now though.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-11-07 03:54:11

Very nice, keep up the great work.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-11-07 06:21:36

impressive images left and right, ur very talented person

wheres the bitches? | catching osama? | need a sig?

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-11-08 22:21:59

I keep drawing things with nudity in them. It's like I can't stop. Anyway, following a recent trend, this is also NSFW.

Another pen and ink sketch that will eventually be colored. I think the buildings in the city skyline are too big, but, I have no plans to fix that now. I also like the little graveyard in the corner.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-11-09 03:53:34

Colored update on the last sketch I posted. NSFW female nudity ahead, although, it's a statue, so, maybe that doesn't count.

I wasn't really sure about this color scheme at first, but, I think it's coming out okay. Not sure if this is what people expected from the sketch I posted. Still gotta do some color highlights and work on the sky, but, this one is getting closer to being done.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-11-09 06:28:03

COSMONAUT!!!!!

It'll be in color at some point.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-11-10 04:24:13

NSFW content ahead.

I don't feel like talking about this one. It's a work in progress.

Also, I have a Camp North account now, so, if anybody wants to see some of my things in higher resolution, check it out HERE

Also, I would remind everyone that the Metropolis Disaster Art Collab is still going on strong and that if you haven't submitted something yet, you'd better do it soon, because the deadline is November 30th.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-11-10 04:46:17

At 11/9/08 06:28 AM, johnnycancer wrote: COSMONAUT!!!!!

It'll be in color at some point.

Haha this is fantastic, color would be awesome ;)

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-11-10 10:05:04

The only thing I could honestly critique is that the pubic hair near the nether regions does not look like a mat of fur... It looks sort of scary. Other than that your work is good, I like your coloring and detail. So nice work.

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-11-11 02:01:26

Thanks for the recent comments guys.

COSMONAUT!!!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-11-11 02:30:02

I'm really liking the Cosmonaut! :D
And I haven't even seen that sig until now, thanks ReNaeNae!!

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-11-11 03:00:15

At 11/11/08 02:30 AM, McJesus wrote: I'm really liking the Cosmonaut! :D
And I haven't even seen that sig until now, thanks ReNaeNae!!

Yeah, she's my secret crush on Newgrounds. Don't tell anybody...

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-11-11 08:33:02

At 11/11/08 03:00 AM, johnnycancer wrote: Yeah, she's my secret crush on Newgrounds. Don't tell anybody...

It'll be our secret.