00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

DashXero just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

johnnycancer's Art Thread

28,795 Views | 223 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-10-05 21:45:23

At 10/5/12 08:26 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
Hrmm, not much of a cult guy....

Well, let me give it some thought. I do really want to have somebody use the line "You have my permission to die."

At 10/5/12 06:04 PM, Tomsan wrote: Are u drawing everyday? Your output is quite high.

Anyway cant say much more then i really REALLY like the fine line style you use. I tried to copy it but it didnt work out. Part of my latest entry still includes this a bit but its negligable.

I try to draw a page every day and luckily (or unluckily) I have a schedule that allows me to do that right now.

And thanks for the positive comments on the art! Often I am drawing stuff and not really getting a lot of feedback on it, so, it's nice to know that people like looking at the stuff that I'm doing.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-10-05 21:46:46

At 10/5/12 09:45 PM, johnnycancer wrote: Well, let me give it some thought. I do really want to have somebody use the line "You have my permission to die."

Well, if you have a badass or antihero or ninja or mysterious force character, then you have my permission to use my persona, lol.

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-10-08 17:42:15

At 10/5/12 09:46 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Well, if you have a badass or antihero or ninja or mysterious force character, then you have my permission to use my persona, lol.

A ninja would be awesome actually.

Anyway, here's a detail from another page of the issue I'm currently working on.

Also, apparently somebody found my blog by searching the terms "what does a cobra look like?" Go figure.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-10-08 17:53:33

I love your art style. I will check out your comic very very soon~ (it's added to my reading list)

I read a lot :[

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-10-08 21:27:04

At 10/8/12 05:53 PM, BeckyRawr wrote: I love your art style. I will check out your comic very very soon~ (it's added to my reading list)

I read a lot :[

Thanks BeckyRawr! Really, it's great to hear people say that Delirium is something they're interested in checking out.

I don't know when you might be thinking of picking up the comic, but in November when issue 3 is out I am planning to offer the first three issues together as a package for a discounted rate, so, that would be a great time for you (and everybody else) to jump on board and see the story behind the out of context panels in this thread.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-10-09 10:56:51

At 10/8/12 09:27 PM, johnnycancer wrote:
I don't know when you might be thinking of picking up the comic, but in November when issue 3 is out I am planning to offer the first three issues together as a package for a discounted rate, so, that would be a great time for you (and everybody else) to jump on board and see the story behind the out of context panels in this thread.

That sounds awesome :D If my money situation is looking good I will be getting them then since it sounds like a bargain.

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-10-09 18:24:10

At 10/9/12 10:56 AM, BeckyRawr wrote::

That sounds awesome :D If my money situation is looking good I will be getting them then since it sounds like a bargain.

Yay!

Anyway, here's the panel of the day.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-10-10 16:57:27

And we see the return of our gun-wielding cultists.

I did like the costume design on these guys. Also, I cannot draw guns well. Also, I feel bad for the guy with a revolver that suddenly has to take on an angel that just got finished ripping a whole in a tentacle monster large enough to fill up a doorway.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-10-11 17:16:25

I don't know how successful I was with what I was trying to do here. I wanted there to be a transition as the point of view shifted from upstairs to the basement area, giving us a view of the foundation as it went. There are both perspective and proportion problems with this.

Oh well. It's only one panel. And I think the blood splatter came out well.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-10-12 18:01:18

Well, it's Friday. I guess I should update this.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-10-15 16:44:36

I need to work on drawing expressive faces. I feel like I've only really mastered one, which is kind of this "O" face of shock.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-10-16 17:17:31

I realized drawing this that I have no idea how to draw two people kissing. It's never come up before.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-10-16 18:00:09

At 10/16/12 05:17 PM, johnnycancer wrote: I realized drawing this that I have no idea how to draw two people kissing. It's never come up before.

hahahahah, yes it shows a bit! that looks like my own (and probably many others) very awkward first kiss

head should be a bit tilted I guess??

ref
ref

God invented evolution 'cause he couldn't do it all by himself! Awesome Tees!

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-10-17 16:37:27

At 10/16/12 06:00 PM, Tomsan wrote:
I realized drawing this that I have no idea how to draw two people kissing. It's never come up before.
hahahahah, yes it shows a bit! that looks like my own (and probably many others) very awkward first kiss

head should be a bit tilted I guess??

ref
ref

Yeah I really should have looked up a reference before I started drawing that. The problem was that I drew the face in the foreground first and then I realized that "Oh, no, somebody's head is going to have to be tilted pretty far for this to make any kind of anatomical sense." And I just didn't feel like redrawing it so I split the difference and made it an awkward moment.

In a way, it kind of makes sense given that this is that character's first time being kissed by a woman. Granted, it's a spectral, pupil-less woman with horns, but that's far better than say...a tentacle monster, which could have been a possibility in that panel.

I guess it's a good thing I didn't write a comic about a mopey protagonist who just wants to be loved, otherwise I'd have all kinds of human interactions that I don't know how to draw.

So this next panel...I probably should have submitted this to the CHOW awhile back, but I think I might have drawn it after the fact. This is what happens when you get a lesbian (ghosts still count) kiss from a horned woman summoned by cultists who worship Tchernobog. And yes, eventually all of the characters will probably sprout wings at some point.

I actually like how this character looks now that she's possessed. It's hard to say there's really much in the way of character design as she's not wearing all that much (I don't feel comfortable counting chains as an article of clothing)...but, I have some cool ideas for this and it's a character design I'd like to use again for a more self-contained story.

In other news, I have 20 pages of issue three done so far, so everything is on schedule for a November release, although I have been going a little more slowly than I would have liked to lately.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-10-18 19:10:40

I like the dialogue boxes I drew for this.

So, she's a blood witch. And when a blood witch says it's good that you're here because she needs blood, well...that's probably about the time you should be quitting your Tchernobog death cult. Of course, by that point it's far too late.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-10-19 19:16:55

Angel with a Shotgun. Should of made that comic.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-10-22 20:34:30

One thing I totally neglected to think about when I designed this character is what he looks like from the back. I suppose that's something I should give greater consideration to in the future.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-10-23 16:03:15

I do try to maintain some continuity in character design, god help me I really do. Sometimes it's just hard to draw the same face twice. And sometimes I forget silly details like the tattoo on my angel's arm. Luckily that's easy enough to add.

I think consistent hair length is actually the hardest thing to maintain. I should have just given everyone long flowing locks, it would have been so much more fun to draw.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-10-24 17:07:49

Arrow to the knee! No, wait...

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-10-25 18:47:23

It's a valid question. But when you can literally punch holes through your problems I guess you don't think about the details too often.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-10-26 17:29:04

Well here's a detail from the final page of the Kingdom of Monsters storyline in issue three. It's funny, I felt like I could have kept going with this one for another 10 pages or so, but there's the G.E.R.L. strip that runs as a backup story to KoM and I wouldn't want to not include that, particularly as the last issue ended on a bit of a cliffhanger with G.E.R.L.

Anyway, 2 more pages to go and then all the interior art will be done and I'll just have the cover illustrations left to do.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-10-29 18:26:08

And now we move on to G.E.R.L.'s story already in progress...

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-10-30 18:23:16

Ah yes, "kric, krack," the sound of breaking glass.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-11-01 20:11:59

I can, in fact, draw women wearing clothes. I just don't do it often. This is the back cover for issue number three, which is off to the printers as of yesterday.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-11-01 20:55:17

At 11/1/12 08:11 PM, johnnycancer wrote: I can, in fact, draw women wearing clothes. I just don't do it often. This is the back cover for issue number three, which is off to the printers as of yesterday.

awesome colored stuff! like the way you colored his jeans. congratz on the rest!

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-11-02 20:01:17

At 11/1/12 08:55 PM, Tomsan wrote:
awesome colored stuff! like the way you colored his jeans. congratz on the rest!

Thanks! It felt like there were a lot of interruptions while working on this last issue. I am going to take a little time to regroup before starting number 4.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-11-05 21:12:41

Rebuttal.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-11-06 18:27:16

RASH!

Actually...it says KRASH, the K just got cut off. But maybe I'll use RASH as a sound effect at some point.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-11-06 18:42:52

Cool works! The only thing I can think that bothers me is everyone seems awfully stiff in their poses, but that kind of works into the way you draw it somehow. Might be worth improving though

I like it

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2012-11-06 19:44:23

At 11/6/12 06:42 PM, ForskinGump wrote: Cool works! The only thing I can think that bothers me is everyone seems awfully stiff in their poses, but that kind of works into the way you draw it somehow. Might be worth improving though

I like it

Hmm I might not have a good eye for it, but one of the things I really enjoy about these drawings is their ever changing and lively poses. I cant really place the stiffness. Maybe its due to the fact it isnt colored/ shaded?

BBS Signature