00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RYKEO just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

964,209 Views | 17,307 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-05-28 21:38:35

At 5/28/11 08:37 PM, IceDragon64 wrote:
At 5/28/11 08:30 PM, M-Vero wrote: Actually, I think a very good addition to it would be to explain the scouting system.
- Oh, please! I wrote the little paragraphs on Scouting and Being Scouted on the Art Portal Page, but I don't know all the details myself. For example I see "2 Scouts" on someones page- does that mean they were scouted by 2 people or that they have scouted 2 people or what?

It means they've scouted two people.
An explanation of the system: The way the scouting system works is that the portal is divided into two sections- scouted and unscouted. The unscouted section is not visible by most people (it is only visible to scouted artists), and is essentially a waiting place for the scouted section, which is what you see when you visit the art portal normally. If you have at least 4 non-sketch works of good quality, someone from the portal can scout you and place you into the normal portal. You can be unscouted if your work is deemed by portal mods to be of inferior quality or if you misbehave in the portal, and this can also have negative effects on the person who scouted you. If someone is unscouted, all people they have scouted become unscouted as well. This can result in big chain reactions, but the system generally turns the portal into something of a merit system to filter out all of the horrible work that's in the unscouted section- if you're good and you get seen, you're allowed into the portal.
I was scouted by Kinsei01 and have personally scouted 23 other artists, for instance.

I could probably have explained that in a more concise manner, but I didn't. Oh well.

My Art Thread.

Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-05-28 21:41:58

At 5/28/11 09:01 PM, Captain-Carrion wrote: Im pretty much done trying to satisfy people.

Stop being so depressing.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-05-28 23:41:50

At 5/28/11 09:01 PM, Captain-Carrion wrote: Im pretty much done trying to satisfy people.

...but we still get an MMO in july, right? :O

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-05-29 06:18:38

Hey Icedragon, I remember you!

Well, calling out the most notable users wouldn't be such a hot idea. There's quite some users, all with terrific drawings/paintings/... and it would be a shame to spotlight some and miss others out. We could of course just mention the mods that have passed. Otherwise, if we really want users, we could look at the amount of FP's they've gotten and base notability on that.

Scouting system and Art101 could of course do with some exposure. Art101 basically is our wiki in the first place. It would be fun having some of the memorable Art Forum Threads in there, albeit a bit pointless perhaps. Chadd-Syphrett and Garden Wall Art come to mind.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-05-29 11:27:25

I've actually got a list of important art forum threads and news posts which I've bookmarked.
Art101 Navigation
Art Portal Patrol
Art Requests Go Here
Art101 Critiquing Thread
Freeware Art Programs

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-05-29 16:53:22

At 5/28/11 09:01 PM, Captain-Carrion wrote: You guys are right with the whole vexon thing. Although its been almost 7 years since i first though them up it doesnt matter. Its my oldest character that ive kept and it has alot of personal history to it, and ive just been pushing the envelope on what they are trying to hold on.

They are not original and maybe i would have been safe a few years ago, when people didnt have to compare everything and break things down and rate it. If i were to make my game it would get compared to lots of stuff and although i can be certain i came up with almost all of it as a middle schooler, it proves nothing. I honestly dont know if im going to keep going with vexons, ive had to change them so much i dont even feel like they belong to me. They seem like the outcome of me trying to keep something beloved alive.

And yes they can be compared to
Spy versus Spy
Mice people
Black Plague Doctors
myrs

Im pretty much done trying to satisfy people.

Dude, really it doesn't matter at all that there was, is and will be something similar to Vexons. They are a pretty cool idea and instantly caught my attention. I couldn't get them out of my head after first seeing them in the forums. To be more precise in pickletoez' art whoring thread where you requested her to draw one.

It may sound like a cheap phrase but: EVERYTHING GOOD HAS BEEN DONE BEFORE. Even if it is just "almost like it" or "similar". You should not care. If you like to go on with the Vexons then you should (and I would highly appreciate it).

And yeah people will always try to compare new things to something they know already. That's just how human beings roll.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-05-29 18:39:17

Kraig says thanks for the posts you made about him, btw.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-05-29 18:58:11

At 5/29/11 06:18 AM, test-object wrote: Hey Icedragon, I remember you!

And I you- I still have the PMs. thanks for replying here

Well, calling out the most notable users wouldn't be such a hot idea. There's quite some users, all with terrific drawings/paintings/... and it would be a shame to spotlight some and miss others out.

- I have never been that keen on User Pages, despite the fact that I have written a few, becuase often there isn't anything to say that can't be seen on their User Page without trawling through finding scraps that no-one cares about, plus, as you say, there are loads of important Users out there.
However, I am not asking because I really want to write them, I am writing because our job as admins isn't to write pages, but to assess pages, so if someone wants to write a Page, we can have a framework to decide if it should stay, ready before others write them. Notability isn't neccesarily about who is the best Artist, but who is most Notable in some way or other, which obviously has a lot to do with success and popularity.

:We could of course just mention the mods that have passed.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "passed", all Mods are considered Notable on Wikigrounds anyway.

:Otherwise, if we really want users, we could look at the amount of FP's they've gotten and base notability on that.

OK, in Flash, we say Weekly Users Choice Flash is Notable, but we need more than that to make a User Notable, probably a stack of awards including at least one Weekly. Anyone any ideas what would be equivalent in art?

Scouting system and Art101 could of course do with some exposure. Art101 basically is our wiki in the first place. It would be fun having some of the memorable Art Forum Threads in there, albeit a bit pointless perhaps. Chadd-Syphrett and Garden Wall Art come to mind.

OK, I'm on it with Scouting and Art 101 in some way or other. However, I don't intend to write seperate Pages for other threads unless there really is a lot worth saying about them. It is possible to write Pages which have a list of things with a small paragraph about each, like our page of Ex-mods.

We are the Dragons & Spirits. We are friendly people. Best Wishes, Ice!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-05-29 19:25:45

At 5/29/11 06:58 PM, IceDragon64 wrote:
OK, I'm on it with Scouting and Art 101 in some way or other. However, I don't intend to write seperate Pages for other threads unless there really is a lot worth saying about them.

I guess the Garden Wall Art thread is somewhat relevant cause it caused a huge "riot" and a rule change for the art forum.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-05-29 20:51:12

At 5/29/11 06:39 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Kraig says thanks for the posts you made about him, btw.

Why doesn't he just post that here himself?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-05-30 12:30:07

Kashi wanted me to restart that Gijinka collab thingy. Im somewhat less into pokemon, and even less into gijinkas.

However, I have a lot of spare time on my hands, so all in favour of this; say 'I'

also im making a comic

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned, and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-05-30 13:04:28

I am now the proud owner of a beat up antique pumporgan :D

World Famous Kasper Lundsfryd Illustrations

nilfisk

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-05-30 17:45:11

At 5/30/11 01:04 PM, Lundsfryd wrote: I am now the proud owner of a beat up antique pumporgan :D

Im breaking my hiatus to tell you that that is awesome

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-05-30 19:06:09

Life....just got so much better.

Yeah, im going

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-05-30 19:22:26

At 5/30/11 07:06 PM, Captain-Carrion wrote: Life....just got so much better.

Yeah, im going

I love that American McGee's name has stopped being a brand (because of all the bad games he's attached it to, I'm assuming). That was like ten kinds of narcissism.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-05-30 19:25:10

Yeah, im going

What was the entry for?

My Art Thread.

Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-05-30 19:26:36

Yeah, im going

I have no idea what this is
someone explain

every morn I awake from the cavernous night

look at my pictures

look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-05-30 19:39:58

Yeah, im going

Pimpin'. Post entry please :)

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-05-31 05:11:35

Tre: Wasn't trying to make you feel bad, just saying getting huffy over similar things is kinda lame. Like my bear and the Radiohead bear, 'cept mine is better because I made the doll and fixed it up after my dog chewed it up and then drew it how it looked with the fixing.

/rant Vexons are cool or I wouldn't have drawn so many and posted one.

Also, looking for a really good underappreciated animated movie(s) to download, name some good ones.

Anything from Treasure Planet, to Grave of the Fireflies, to Persepolis. I'm more interested in very mindbending stories though.

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-05-31 07:24:51

At 5/30/11 05:45 PM, J-qb wrote:
At 5/30/11 01:04 PM, Lundsfryd wrote: I am now the proud owner of a beat up antique pumporgan :D
Im breaking my hiatus to tell you that that is awesome

Hehe.. Thanks.. It pretty fun to play. But it's a bit like trying to play a keyboard while riding a bike up a hill.. You really got to work those pumps :P

World Famous Kasper Lundsfryd Illustrations

nilfisk

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-05-31 07:38:28

At 5/31/11 05:11 AM, Knocturne wrote: Also, looking for a really good underappreciated animated movie(s) to download, name some good ones.

Anything from Treasure Planet, to Grave of the Fireflies, to Persepolis. I'm more interested in very mindbending stories though.

Mind Game
Paprika
Perfect Blue
Fantastic Planet
Kirikou and the Sorceress

They're all 'foreign' films. Japanese and French.

The first three are appropriately 'mind bending' as per your request. Fantastic Planet has an amazingly surrealist style and tone to it. Kirikou and the Sorceress is just a lot of fun and not nearly popular enough; I would recommend it to anyone.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-05-31 09:45:48

At 5/31/11 07:38 AM, Aigis wrote: Paprika

I just finished watching this one last weekend. This is definitely belong to the mind bending category. There was even one part where this giant naked woman ate some kind of monster. I won't tell anything else as not to spoil the movie.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-05-31 10:46:16

This is a bit unrelated to art, but any of you guys played Terraria yet?

For those who haven't heard of it, it is very, very similar to Minecraft. I wouldn't go as far to call it a clone, but it is, in my opinion, a hell of a lot better. It goes that one step further, and catches all of Minecraft's shortcomings (i.e it has some sort of replay value)

So far I've gotten about 36 hours of gameplay (according to Steam, holy shit.), it is the best selling game on steam, and it is only £6 ($10). It's fantastic good fun, and also has some really nice pixel art.

If you're still not convinced, imagine minecraft fused with castlevania.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned, and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-05-31 12:47:02

Saw all those already Aigis, thanks for trying though

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-05-31 12:50:47

At 5/31/11 05:11 AM, Knocturne wrote: Tre: Wasn't trying to make you feel bad, just saying getting huffy over similar things is kinda lame. Like my bear and the Radiohead bear, 'cept mine is better because I made the doll and fixed it up after my dog chewed it up and then drew it how it looked with the fixing.

lol no problem, my post wasn't really suppose to seem all that depressing or anything, its just thats how stuff works. Yes, people may like something you make but there will always be someone looking to shit in your cereal.

Now, i will finish the mmo and the beta will come soon, but i dont know if i want to invest all my ideas into something that might crumble at my feet.
And yes, im done trying to satisfy people...im just gonna make shit and if i do so well great.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-05-31 13:06:05

At 5/31/11 05:11 AM, Knocturne wrote: Also, looking for a really good underappreciated animated movie(s) to download, name some good ones.

Not sure if it's considered underappreciated or not, but RahXephon was pretty complex... at least, it was when I watched it 6-7 years ago.
The main character feels a bit like a carbon copy of Shinji from Eva though.
That's another fucked up series from what I remember of it, but I doubt you've never watched Evangelion.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-05-31 14:35:20

Oh hey, NG stopped hating on chrome, I can post here again! Oh and I finally have my own desktop again.

Also, that is pretty Sweet Carrion. I've been rather excited for the new Alice game, and the artwork I've seen for it looks great. I'd loooove to see all the concept art!

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-05-31 14:42:09

At 5/31/11 02:35 PM, Armaina wrote: Oh hey, NG stopped hating on chrome,

Yay!

I can post here again!

Yay, yay!
:Oh and I finally have my own desktop again.
Super Yay!

Also, that is pretty Sweet Carrion. I've been rather excited for the new Alice game, and the artwork I've seen for it looks great. I'd loooove to see all the concept art!

good to have another back in the game!

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-05-31 14:46:08

At 5/31/11 02:42 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: good to have another back in the game!

Glad to be back again, have had some lovely computer issues in this space of time. Things be looking up though!

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-05-31 15:28:35

Not in the movie category, but mindbending: Gurren Lagann.

... inside a robot inside a robot inside a robot inside a robot inside a robot! xD lolz