00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Critque please.

14,209 Views | 132 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Critque please. 2009-02-28 00:19:54

digging those teeth

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to Critque please. 2009-03-05 07:13:59

Response to Critque please. 2009-03-08 01:10:34

Response to Critque please. 2009-03-28 07:34:12

Messing around.

Critque please.

Response to Critque please. 2009-03-30 02:13:23

More stuff with Photoshop.

BETTER QUALITY

Blurry, shading is pretty mediocre, and I learned a lot.

Critque please.

Response to Critque please. 2009-04-25 17:27:58

Blah, I have lost my muse, and I can't seem to find it. It is pretty depressing, really. So I have been trying to write more to maybe spark something, but so far, I haven't gotten anything. I have been posting my poetry in profile blog thing, so if you would like, you can read the two I put up there.

Oh, this whole situation reminds me too much of 5th grade and playing Jak & Daxter : The Precursor Legacy. The quest where you talk to the sculptor and he lost his muse and needs you to get it back. First three lines is what I'm referring to.

Anywho, I only have a few sketches to show you guys, I'm sorry :(

these may be reposts, forgive me if they are.

Old Man
iPod Fuck

A little comic about how the FDA is retarded.
One
Two
Three

Fan Art
^ Check these guys out ^

Well, that's all, enjoy.

Critque please.

Response to Critque please. 2009-04-27 05:28:37

Yes! My muse! I FOUND IT!

FULL VIEW THIS SHIT

Critque please.

Response to Critque please. 2009-04-28 04:47:35

Wow! So, clearly you've grown as an artist since the last time I looked at your stuff. It feels as if you are finally starting to find your own style and I have to say it's pretty unique. I am fairly certain that I would be able to pick a drawing of yours out of a lineup.

You are doing some really cool stuff with color, particularly with your more abstract work. It actually reminds me a bit of Keith Haring actually. And, possibly a little bit of Mike Diana is mixed in there too, although, your stuff is way more polished than a lot of his things are.

Anyway, should be interesting to see what direction you go in as you continue to experiment and figure out what kind of art you want to make. Personally, the only thing I'd like to see you working on right now is adding more detail and backgrounds to your pictures; other than that whatever you're doing seems to be working really well.

BBS Signature

Response to Critque please. 2009-04-28 16:29:55

At 4/28/09 04:47 AM, johnnycancer wrote: AWESOME WORDS AND STUFF

Thanks! Really appreciate everything you said. Yeah, my backgrounds really do need work. I am also thinking of switching to Corel Painter from Flash and Photoshop. Photoshop isn't fast enough for my strokes, so they are always not what I want even with the settings set correctly. Flash is vector based so I can't ever get as precise as I want and there is ALWAYS the recognize shapes thing that even when turned off, it seems to mess things up.

I have REALLY been wanting to get into more traditional work, non-digital stuff. But, I don't have any money to buy materials and such, even paper. It is pretty sad. I feel that I learn more from traditional stuff, so that is why, also I don't really feel as good when I do it on the computer.

Here is a bit of WIP.

I was too lazy to make a jpeg, so deal with it :)

Response to Critque please. 2009-05-05 20:37:50

Birthday present for Chloe.

FULL VIEW IT YOU WONDERFUL PERSON :)

Critque please.

Response to Critque please. 2009-05-05 23:44:51

Your anatomic structure is fine and the style is working. The subject matter has improved too. I could stand to see some interesting background work from you. Remember that a story is nothing without the setting (people, places, things)

A nest is a place where all of your dreams come true.

BBS Signature

Response to Critque please. 2009-05-06 05:53:25

Overall, my 2 cents are that you should redraw each picture a qouple of times before finishing it. Theres a lot of lines and shapes i know you could tighten up just by redoing them, and by that finding out for yourself whats faulty with them.

Also, i know your style isnt turned in that direction, but i think you need to have a better understanding of three dimensions. Your stuff is somehow overall flat, in a way that bothers me.
I know its boring as hell, but take a shoe (or something, not to simple though) and draw it from 3 different angles, then, without looking a the shoe (or whatever object you drew) redraw it from a fourth angle, by just using the three drawings you made as reference.
Or even better, if you have clay, sculpt from reference. Using two mirrors I made a clay self portrait in school once, and that helped me understand how a face s formed better than sketch i've ever made.

You have a great feeling for colors and style though, and i envy you for that.

Oh and another thing, try to avoid having stuff unfinished in the middle of a image. A floating head without a neck and shoulders is worse than one with badly drawn neck and shoulders.

Keep at it.

Response to Critque please. 2009-05-06 17:38:29

At 5/6/09 05:53 AM, LaserKarl wrote: Really helpful criticism and stuff that I'm shortening.

Wow! Thank you, really. What you said actually clicked with me, I now agree that my overall illustrations are very flat. It is very hard for me to go out of my comfort zone, which is drawing things in a way that they look flat or where I'll try new positions and it will never look right, so I give up or get angry.

I know this isn't an excuse, but I haven't had paper, besides napkins or sticky notes, or pencils for quite some time. Which if I ever get a job, or money, I plan on buying some real materials to actually further my skills and understanding. I don't know why, until now, that I haven't considered drawing something like a shoe, but on my computer. If anything, I would think I would learn more just because I'm not as comfortable with the tablet as I am with the pencil.

So, thank you, I will work on that.

Response to Critque please. 2009-09-15 17:42:06

Well, I haven't really taken Karl's advice, and I feel bad. I have mainly been cowering in my comfort zone. Most of my new stuff is in my "blog", and that's where I'll be displaying it from now on. But, just to be an attention whore...

Too lazy to upload it

Response to Critque please. 2009-10-23 11:15:29

I'm going to a be necromancer and resurrect this thread.

Currently organizing a miniature "NG Sketchbook Tour" with local artists, myself, and artists from other states. I'll make sure to post updates of the sketchbook as it is returned to me. There are about 8 artists total so far, including myself. and the book has about 60 individual pages, so this should be interesting.

I am also working on my future internet portfolio, as something official and to build off of.

Now, recently I have tried "painting" in Photoshop.
First attempt
Second attempt
Third attempt

And finally, I surprised myself with this one.

Full view

Critque please.

Response to Critque please. 2009-10-23 11:20:43

I like those "paintings"... they seem to have quite some potential.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Critque please. 2009-10-23 11:24:56

At 10/23/09 11:15 AM, Slippery-Nipple wrote: I'm going to a be necromancer and resurrect this thread.

Yay!!! :D

Currently organizing a miniature "NG Sketchbook Tour" with local artists...

Awesome! Cool idea! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Now, recently I have tried "painting" in Photoshop.
First attempt
Second attempt
Third attempt

3rd on is cool... the second one confused me! lol :P

And finally, I surprised myself with this one.

lol... surprised me too. I hope you're not dating her! 'cuz...
...her eyes are funny ;P

Response to Critque please. 2009-10-26 22:43:46

So, these pictures are terrible, I'm sorry. I'll replace them with better scanned pictures in a week or two.

My personal sketchbook
Uno
Dos
Tres
Quatro

Traveling sketchnook
First
Second

Just mainly messing around with new stuff, mainly watercolors.

Critque please.

Response to Critque please. 2009-10-26 23:19:16

whoa.. you suck just as badly now.. as you did two years ago 0.0

Response to Critque please. 2009-10-26 23:29:22

At 10/26/09 11:19 PM, kr8to wrote: whoa.. you suck just as badly now.. as you did two years ago 0.0

Very constructive, could you please elaborate? Or even form an articulate sentence?

Response to Critque please. 2009-11-21 21:49:51

Eh, just some filler or something.

Critque please.

Response to Critque please. 2009-11-22 02:49:46

At 10/26/09 11:19 PM, kr8to wrote: whoa.. you suck just as badly now.. as you did two years ago 0.0

^ don't pay attention to this guy.

You have definitely improved from what I can see - and although sometimes the actual forms in the art might not be perfect, you can actually put a piece together, you know with decent use of colour and such, which means even the less technically good stuff looks great. It's an important skill and you seem to have it.

Keep doing stuff.

Response to Critque please. 2009-11-22 11:58:03

At 11/21/09 09:49 PM, Slippery-Nipple wrote: Eh, just some filler or something.

IT is the MOST entertaining thing to in the world to watch your work evolve in this thread, im a big fan. Really really nice work

BBS Signature

Response to Critque please. 2009-11-22 13:10:16

i like the style, but i would love to see it a little less simplyfied

cookies rule your future.. o_o

strangeness <33

BBS Signature

Response to Critque please. 2009-11-22 19:59:14

your style is interesting

Response to Critque please. 2009-11-23 14:48:09

D'aww, yooou guys, thanks.

This is a bit old, but I made it for a friend.

Critque please.

Response to Critque please. 2009-12-03 07:32:52

Recent.

Critque please.

Response to Critque please. 2009-12-11 00:37:19

Fairly satisfied with this one.

Critque please.

Response to Critque please. 2009-12-11 06:00:48

At 12/11/09 12:37 AM, Slippery-Nipple wrote: Fairly satisfied with this one.

I can see why... Id like another shot of this one though.... try to get some more light on it. maybe take it outside

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Critque please. 2009-12-11 16:29:22

At 12/11/09 06:00 AM, J-qb wrote: I can see why... Id like another shot of this one though.... try to get some more light on it. maybe take it outside

It's 18 degrees outside right now and the sun has been near non existent for a month :(

So, here's the best I can do, it's quite accurate to the real thing.

Critque please.