00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KiToDaAra just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Storybook Project [Collab?]

45,039 Views | 469 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-10 14:09:16

All right... here it is, the thread I've been talking about for... months!

Basically this is a project for ...Everyone. The plan is to take a story, add illustrations, possibly narration, sound effects, and/or background music, and create a bunch of 'storybooks'. It's an opportunity for people that don't know or have Flash to get a little recognition and a submission or two under their belts.

WRITERS
Write a story, fable, tale (I was thinking along the lines of Dr. Seuss, but whatever). Post it (or them, no limit) on YOUR OWN user page, then post a link on MY user page (not here!). I will add it to a list, organized by genre. There are no limits or restrictions on subject matter or length. Just keep in mind that someone will be creating illustrations for it, so no novels and nothing completely inappropriate (based on Newgrounds standards, so... it's pretty open! lol :P).

ARTISTS
Pick a story from the list (or write your own, but teams are encouraged) and do the illustrations to go along with the story (you can do your own interpretation, or contact the author and work out a plan together). You can also create your own book covers, paper and backgrounds, or choose from, or add to a library of pre-made sets. Right now the fla is 650 x 450, but that may vary in the future.

ALSO... I sorta slapped in a little 'icon/logo/symbol' thing of two kids reading a book (see below)... if someone wants to create a real, official one, PLEASE DO!! lol. It doesn't have to be in a circle, it can be anything.

NARRATORS, MUSICIANS, SFX
All of these will add to the 'storybook' experience, so it would be great to compile a list of people willing to help out in these areas. If you would like to volunteer, please post here and I will add you to the list(s).

FLASHERS
As people finish up their stories, they will need to be assembled into Flash form for submitting. If we're lucky, there will be a ton and I won't be able to do 'em all on my own. So if you want to help in this area, you too can post here, and I will add you to the list! We'll also need an official preloader if anyone wants to tackle that.

OTHER STUFF
I'm randomly selecting a day for everyone to submit (*checks NG Calendar for a good date*)
January 25th, 2009

Example of page turning animation (click and drag).
Example of book with narration & music (it's incomplete and super cheesy, but just an example! :P)

I'm sure I've forgotten stuff, but... you get the general idea!

To get rolling... WE NEED STORIES!!!

Storybook Project [Collab?]

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-10 19:36:54

Where do I sign up?

Like me on the FaceBook :D

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-10 19:48:09

Sounds cool, I'll bookmark this thread so i can see how this thing goes. It sound really interesting

At your service

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-10 19:57:22

if someone can make a really dark and scary story ill be happy to illistrate!!!

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-10 20:09:40

At 12/10/08 07:36 PM, DooDooMeaT wrote: Where do I sign up?

WE NEED STORIES!!!!

To sign up as a:

Writer - post your story (or stories) on your user page, then post a link to it HERE. I will add it to the list.

Artist - look through the list of stories HERE (there's only one at this time! lol). Once you pick one, contact the author (on their page, or pm) to work something out, get their input, and to make sure someone else hasn't already nabbed the story! (FIGHT!!)

Voice Actor, Musician, SFX Peep - Post your availability HERE. Please include a link to a demo reel if you have one.

Flash Helper, Programmer - Post HERE if you're available to help!

yes, all of those links go to the same place! hehe! :P

Did I mention WE NEED STORIES!!! :D

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-10 20:11:07

I'm 100% game, i can't write or animate (or have the programs neccesary for animation) so someone would have to take care of that for me.

But if anyone wants non-digital illistration, and my art style is a little twisted, PM me please

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-10 21:25:52

I can write a story. It can be on almost anything, but usually on the strange/sci-fi side. I've been wanting to write a story for a while, and now I have a good reason to. Where do I sign up?

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-10 21:27:30

At 12/10/08 09:25 PM, Ringwraith1 wrote: I can write a story. It can be on almost anything, but usually on the strange/sci-fi side. I've been wanting to write a story for a while, and now I have a good reason to. Where do I sign up?

Nvm i see where to sign up. *crosses out last sentence*

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-10 21:52:28

After reading this i really feel like making a pop up book story. You know, the ones that have pictures pop up when you turn the page.
But i guess i'll wait until another collabs made to do something like that. I'll try and think up a little something for this. I'll write a little rhyming thing (i'm feeling the seussish vibe) and make some art for another story.

Ghost/Supernat. Club | Join the Family | The FlashBase.

You always need at least one asshole moderator for your forum. Its not opinion, its fact

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-10 21:53:59

i'm down =]

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-10 22:00:45

At 12/10/08 09:52 PM, Mercenary81 wrote: After reading this i really feel like making a pop up book story. You know, the ones that have pictures pop up when you turn the page.
But i guess i'll wait until another collabs made to do something like that. I'll try and think up a little something for this. I'll write a little rhyming thing (i'm feeling the seussish vibe) and make some art for another story.

lol! BoMToons had the same idea! You're welcome to do it! I bet it will be very, VERY cool!

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-10 22:24:41

Yay yay yay yay yay yay! I'll start writing in the next few days.

EVERYONE!... GOGOGOGO

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-10 22:28:41

This is going to be sweet. I haven't written anything in awhile and I used to really enjoy that so I'll see if I can work something up...

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-10 23:22:32

This is a simply awesome idea, I'd love to do illustrations and possibly some flash work

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-11 01:23:23

At 12/10/08 10:00 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 12/10/08 09:52 PM, Mercenary81 wrote: After reading this i really feel like making a pop up book story. You know, the ones that have pictures pop up when you turn the page.
lol! BoMToons had the same idea! You're welcome to do it! I bet it will be very, VERY cool!

i was thinking that too, because this is still in a flash, there's a world of opportunity that can't be had in books, but we dont need to flat out animate. i've got a dvd of beatrix potter's tales *oh yea, i buy ALL my childhood movies* that took illustrations, photoshopped the main elements and moved them around. not actually animation, just moving a static image from one place to another to infer motion. that kind of thing would be so easy to do, and could look so charming if done right.

WARNING - INSERTING ARTIST PLUG

anyway, just throwing out that i'd love to be an artist for this. i can write something if need be, but i'd like the opportunity to work for someone else. i'd rather get in the collaborative spirit than doing my own thing.

my style? well. i like muted tones and i can pretty much replicate anything from brian froud to edward gorey if you're looking for specific looks. i relish the old authors as you might tell.

http://campnorth.tv/profile/sucho i dunno, this explains it better than i can.

writers don't be afraid to pm me.

my apologies for the length and the self-advertising.

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-11 07:14:05

What's the deadline?
What's the maximum story length (pages in Word)?

:)

- The Run -- Cargo || The Run -- Drop - The Run is an episodic sci-fi story, click the image to go to the Main Page.

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-11 08:30:27

Ah, as I promised to you already I will have my story done with a description of what the art should at least be leaning towards. I won't describe what I want the pictures too look like too much though as I want it to be up to the imagination of the artist that decides to do art work for the bit of my story. I should have had the story done a long time ago, but again as you already know I was extremely busy.

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-11 13:45:48

I have an idea for something funny or serious, which would be best? I'm definitely going to contribute in some way.

Lies make baby Jesus cry, bitch.

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-11 13:48:05

I think the authors should choose the artist they want. That'd be nice.

Formerly PieLover61

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-11 13:59:24

I'm gonna do my best to get in on this.
I just ended my term so I'm looking for a project.
Gimme a couple days to write something out.

!..!_ (o_O) _!..!

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-11 14:05:30

At 12/10/08 10:57 PM, TheSnakeSkull wrote: I'll write something, what standards for writing?

Just make sure it has a followable story and isn't too short or too long.

At 12/11/08 01:45 PM, Sidorio wrote: I have an idea for something funny or serious, which would be best? I'm definitely going to contribute in some way.

Write them both :D

At 12/11/08 01:48 PM, PieLover61 wrote: I think the authors should choose the artist they want. That'd be nice.

That's the plan. The artist looks for a story they like, then they present the author their work or ideas and then the author decides from there.

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-11 15:20:06

Seems like I'm collaborating with sucho, that is if he likes my two pages of concepts for plot, background story, story themes, setting and graphic design :)

- The Run -- Cargo || The Run -- Drop - The Run is an episodic sci-fi story, click the image to go to the Main Page.

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-11 15:22:48

At 12/11/08 03:20 PM, RNNR wrote: Seems like I'm collaborating with sucho, that is if he likes my two pages of concepts for plot, background story, story themes, setting and graphic design :)

yup, right now i'm helping with two stories, so i don't think i'll be able to participate in many (any) more.

oh you and your amazing collaborations renaenae, OH YOU!!

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-11 17:49:10

Ok, wrote a story for ya and posted it where you requested. Looks like there's quite a few stories posted already, so I guess I could do some illustrating and voice acting too later on. I'll keep an eye on the thread for any updates you might post as to what's contributed so far, and what's needed. It's really a fun idea, and I'm glad it gave me an excuse to write, as I hadn't done that in a while.

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-11 18:01:25

Sounds pretty awesome! Im gonna try to write something though i never have before o_o and i can illustrate stuff too :]

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-11 18:07:04

Collaboration with sucho is a GO!

Currently working out the character sheet.

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-11 19:10:57

I've been working up the nerve to sketch something up.

Does the pictures have to be in some kind of pattern? (for example, if one person posts the beginning, do I have to draw what comes next?)

GT: Born2Evil

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-11 19:20:41

At 12/11/08 07:10 PM, Bl00dRedKnife wrote: I've been working up the nerve to sketch something up.

Does the pictures have to be in some kind of pattern? (for example, if one person posts the beginning, do I have to draw what comes next?)

Wait, scratch that. I didn't know we had a choice to be individual artists. Delete this post please.

GT: Born2Evil

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-11 19:42:56

At 12/10/08 10:28 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: I'll see if I can work something up...

yay!! :D

At 12/10/08 10:57 PM, TheSnakeSkull wrote: I'll write something, what standards for writing?

Whatever standards you set for yourself. If you think in terms of how the story will work along with the illustrations, you should be fine!

At 12/10/08 11:22 PM, orlyman wrote: This is a simply awesome idea, I'd love to do illustrations and possibly some flash work

Great... how are your flash skills?

At 12/11/08 01:23 AM, sucho wrote: anyway, just throwing out that i'd love to be an artist for this. i can write something if need be, but i'd like the opportunity to work for someone else. i'd rather get in the collaborative spirit than doing my own thing.

yay!! :D

At 12/11/08 07:14 AM, RNNR wrote: What's the deadline?

Mass submit is scheduled for Jan. 25th 2009!!

What's the maximum story length (pages in Word)?

No real max set... whatever you need to tell your story.

At 12/11/08 08:30 AM, Corky52 wrote: as you already know I was extremely busy.

I know you're a busy boy! There's pleny of time though!! ;)

At 12/11/08 01:45 PM, Sidorio wrote: I have an idea for something funny or serious, which would be best?

Both!! :D

At 12/11/08 01:48 PM, PieLover61 wrote: I think the authors should choose the artist they want. That'd be nice.

If an author has a specific artist in mind, they should absolutely contact them!! It can work either way! As long as it works! (oh, and ...Hi! lol)

At 12/11/08 01:59 PM, IDIifferentname wrote: Gimme a couple days to write something out.

You got it! :D

At 12/11/08 02:05 PM, Slippery-Nipple wrote: answered some questions!

Thanks! ;D

At 12/11/08 02:22 PM, darknessdweller wrote: Oh, I'd better get started writing!

great! we need all the stories we can get!! :D Good luck!

At 12/11/08 03:20 PM, RNNR wrote: Seems like I'm collaborating with sucho

Nice!! Can't wait to see what you guys come up with!! :D

At 12/11/08 03:22 PM, sucho wrote: yup, right now i'm helping with two stories, so i don't think i'll be able to participate in many (any) more.

Your dance card is officially full... noted! ;)

oh you and your amazing collaborations renaenae, OH YOU!!

No, YOU!! and your awesome art and tablet-winning spectacularness! ;) Thanks for participating!!

At 12/11/08 04:04 PM, Murad136 wrote: THIS IS SO AWESOME! I'll defiantly contribute! Can't wait till this is done!

YAY!! I love enthusiastic people!! Welcome aboard!!

At 12/11/08 05:49 PM, Tiredguy wrote: Ok, wrote a story for ya and posted it where you requested. Looks like there's quite a few stories posted already.

We need tons more stories!! There is no limit! It won't be just one submitted 'collab' file, it's gonna be a total tidal wave of submissions! Like pico, madness, or clock day ...but with books!! weeEEee!!

At 12/11/08 06:01 PM, VannillaBear wrote: Sounds pretty awesome! Im gonna try to write something though i never have before o_o and i can illustrate stuff too :]

First time for everything! Writing just might be your calling!! Some day you'll be an award winning author and you'll be on Oprah saying "I'd like to thank ReNaeNae for getting me started!!" lol :D

At 12/11/08 06:07 PM, RNNR wrote: Collaboration with sucho is a GO!
Currently working out the character sheet.

yay! Keep us posted!!

At 12/11/08 07:10 PM, Bl00dRedKnife wrote: I've been working up the nerve to sketch something up.

No nerve required!! This isn't a typical 'collab' ...you just pick a story from the list above (or write your own), and you draw ALL of the art for it! So no patterns unless it fits your story!!

k... I think I'm caught up! lol!! :D

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-11 19:44:12

At 12/11/08 07:20 PM, Bl00dRedKnife wrote: Wait, scratch that. I didn't know we had a choice to be individual artists. Delete this post please.

Too late! lol ;)