00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

DashXero just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Critque please.

14,206 Views | 132 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Critque please. 2008-04-14 15:52:45

Thank you :o

Response to Critque please. 2008-04-14 19:28:21

At 7/12/07 04:50 PM, Slippery-Nipple wrote: Thank you all for the comments ;3

For this piece i am looking for constructive criticism on the lighting, anatomy and shading. Please i am really trying to get better.

I like this one. It looks like he's watching television and he has been for a while.

BBS Signature

Response to Critque please. 2008-09-22 12:54:41

Hello, it's been awhile.

Critque please.

Response to Critque please. 2008-09-22 12:58:16

New watercolors
1st
2nd

Critque please.

Response to Critque please. 2008-09-22 14:46:58

Work in progress

Reference

Full View

Critque please.

Response to Critque please. 2008-09-22 15:01:37

Good work, i would say you have a decent/good grasp on the mapping of a face, such as the distance between the eyes and such. The only thing that i look down upon is the lack of diversity in the thread. The faces look pretty much all alike in the last few drawings, with some gradual improvement in the technique.
I would say expand your horizons, try some full bodies or such.

Response to Critque please. 2008-09-22 16:03:59

At 9/22/08 03:01 PM, Shinryudan wrote: Good work, i would say you have a decent/good grasp on the mapping of a face, such as the distance between the eyes and such. The only thing that i look down upon is the lack of diversity in the thread. The faces look pretty much all alike in the last few drawings, with some gradual improvement in the technique.
I would say expand your horizons, try some full bodies or such.

Thank you, i understand what you mean by the lack of diversity. I'm quite afraid of new things in terms of art, not so much real life, so i'm going to apply my ideals towards my art. Try my best and not give a shit.

That was more of a personal agreement than a forum reply, i'm sorry xD

Response to Critque please. 2008-10-06 02:09:25

Not much diversity here, i can't seem to grasp the "draw what you see" correctly.

Self portrait... i guess?

Mirror
Pen
Paper
Reggae

Full size

Critque please.

Response to Critque please. 2008-10-06 09:52:11

At 10/6/08 02:09 AM, Slippery-Nipple wrote: Not much diversity here, i can't seem to grasp the "draw what you see" correctly.

Self portrait... i guess?

What's up with the nose? Also, where'd the jowls come from? Unless you aged twenty years since you posted your profile pic, it only looks a little like you.

f

Response to Critque please. 2008-10-06 13:51:48

At 9/22/08 12:58 PM, Slippery-Nipple wrote: New watercolors
1st
2nd

That looks great! How long did it take you?

*THIS ACCOUNT HAS MOVED*

Response to Critque please. 2008-10-06 15:49:32

Blain-The-Pain wrote:
What's up with the nose? Also, where'd the jowls come from? Unless you aged twenty years since you posted your profile pic, it only looks a little like you.

I don't know exactly, i guess i drew too much. Ive learned from that piece.

AlexanderTheInsane wrote:
That looks great! How long did it take you?

The fist was about a 5 minute sketch then a 15 minute paint.

The guy's head took about 45 minutes total.

I need to slow down.

Response to Critque please. 2008-10-15 05:27:42

Proportions are off, but at least I learned a lot from it.

This piece was inspired by my growing irritation of people getting on apple boxes and shout about anything. Mainly the ever popular Evolution vs Creation debate.

Honestly, why do you have to PROVE to someone what you believe? It is good to question your own beliefs, but you REALLY don't have to get on a box and yell what you believe.

Full View

Critque please.

Response to Critque please. 2008-10-15 05:44:12

There is on major thing you can do to get better. I will explain.

At the moment, you are drawing with lines. I want you to step out of your comfort zone and start drawing with a value scale.

Whats a value scale you may ask? Well its the range from your lightest to darkest colour. So if your paper is white, white is your lightest colour and so forth.

Now when you draw, don't draw lines draw vaule shades. For instance if something has a dark edge, that becomes a dark shape. It should look like you are bring the picture out of the background very slowing with no detail. Its hard, but will make you a better artist.

Its all about building it up, there should be no linework when you start doing this and when you get better, you will not even need it. It kicks in your right side of your brain. Its how your style really gets brought out.

It also has the added plus of having prefect shading since you build it up in all the right places at the right time. Very organic way to work.

Response to Critque please. 2008-10-15 06:14:56

At 10/15/08 05:44 AM, seVereo wrote: Stuff

Thank you, I highly appreciate the feedback, but here's my counter argument.

I REALLY don't aim for realism. "It doesn't have to be realism to look realistic" Yes, I know and fully acknowledge this. Yes I know I'm most likely just making an excuse to avoid actually trying, but honestly... I doubt I have even the slightest understanding of anatomy and lighting to even attempt a suggestion as such.

Yes I realize that objects in real life don't have lines and the "lines" that I "see" are actually just light and shadow. Yes I know I'm supposed to draw what I see, not what I know/think.

So, If I acknowledge all of this, why don't I apply it? I guess it's mainly because...

I'm an illustrator/doodler, NOT a painter.

Response to Critque please. 2008-10-15 11:14:13

I really don't know what to say...
All I can say is that you have some cool skills, and some pretty good shading.
Just wondering: Do you draw the structure of your drawings in shapes before adding the detail?
And btw, you latest piece is awesome! :)
Good work, keep it up!

Response to Critque please. 2008-10-15 15:01:59

At 10/15/08 11:14 AM, Hellknight1000 wrote: Just wondering: Do you draw the structure of your drawings in shapes before adding the detail?
And btw, you latest piece is awesome! :)
Good work, keep it up!

Thank you :)

No actually, that would help a lot with consistency and anatomy. I never seem to have any pencils around so I'm left to drawing with ink and I can't draw structure lines/shapes with ink, for it doesnt' erase.

Response to Critque please. 2008-10-15 15:56:00

At 10/15/08 03:01 PM, Slippery-Nipple wrote:

:I never seem to have any pencils around so I'm left to drawing with ink and I can't draw structure lines/shapes with ink, for it doesnt' erase.

Well, you can still draw an underlying skeletal frame, even if you're drawing in ink (at least if you're using a ballpoint pen, which is what it looks like you're using). Just sketch the lines very lightly - by the time you cover them up with harder lines and shading, they won't be that noticeable.

Which is not to say that you can never freehand things - people obviously do, with varying success - but, it does help a lot if you're already sort of comfortable with certain underlying structures and proportions, because then it's not complete guesswork.

I can appreciate that you're not going for realism - but if that's the case, then, I think you probably need to try strive for something more stylized - right now, you're sort of in an uncomfortable middle ground between realism and cartooning. Take a look at the work of Egon Schiele and some of the later work of Gustav Klimt - Schiele in particular seemed to tend towards figures that were elongated, a bit distorted, and sometimes downright ugly, but's what people love about him, because it's so different from work by other artists. You might also look at Peter Chung's work, particularly on Aeon Flux, since it was influenced by Egon Schiele's work.

Not that I'm saying you should try and emulate those styles - they're just to give you an example of what I mean when I say "stylized."

Still, I really can't emphasize enough how important it is to break things down into rudimentary shapes and then build them up from there when you're drawing - if all you've got is a pen, then learn some basic proportions and practice drawing stick figures - do them fast - do several on one page - and put them in lots of different poses, both static and active - they're actually pretty fun and if nothing else, they'll loosen you up before you start an intense drawing session.

Anyway, I never went to art school or anything, so feel free to disregard anything I say. And, don't get discouraged - art is full of mistakes, the trick is just to recognize your mistakes and learn from them.

Personally, people tell me all the time that my figures are too stiff and that my proportions are off - someday I'll get it right though...

BBS Signature

Response to Critque please. 2008-10-16 02:59:08

At 10/15/08 03:56 PM, johnnycancer wrote: Stuff

Best feedback so far, thank you.

Thank you for the references, I'll definitely check them out after I post this.

Ive been contemplating the whole "I'll draw how I interpret things and the world" I may try that out. I think my biggest barrier at the moment is understanding lighting. This tutorial has helped a little, but I don't know.

Response to Critque please. 2008-11-04 22:11:15

WIP
Full view

Critque please.

Response to Critque please. 2008-11-04 22:24:20

At 11/4/08 10:11 PM, Slippery-Nipple wrote: WIP
Full view

I was hoping you were going to post some new stuff soon. It looks pretty good so far. Is this a still life study (I mean, do you have all these objects physically in front of you)? Or is this just being done from various other references?

My only criticism so far would be that the angle of the book looks off; I don't think it could have part of the hammer resting on it and be standing at that angle without falling over. Basically, it should be straight up and down and you shouldn't see any of the pages at the top.

BBS Signature

Response to Critque please. 2008-11-05 11:17:29

Ha, just nerdy WoW references...

Hammer
Shield

I REALLY need a ruler, I noticed that I take them for granted far too much. My Halloween card wasn't the greatest ruler. Thanks for the criticism :)

It's a sketch for a future tattoo that I want. I'll be adding some rosary stuff to it as well.

Hammer, strength.
Shield, courage.
Libram(book), wisdom.

Ive always loved the "paladin".

Response to Critque please. 2008-11-09 19:25:31

Currently scanning all 100+ of "art" and working on a portfolio/website.

Traditional
Sketches
Digital
Nostalgia
Other

Now to figure out how or what coding I need to have the ability to display my work like this.

Here's something from the "Nostalgia" folder.

Critque please.

Response to Critque please. 2008-11-10 19:06:25

These are pretty awesome!

BBS Signature

Response to Critque please. 2008-11-10 19:07:55

Double post, sorry

Your deviant is locked.

BBS Signature

Response to Critque please. 2008-11-10 19:12:12

At 11/10/08 07:07 PM, TehSpicyPineapple wrote: Double post, sorry

Your deviant is locked.

Oh yeah!

Here's my new one

Yeah, I was banned for posting a graphic image, but also marking it as the ultimate of mature, and I was still banned.

Response to Critque please. 2008-11-14 06:49:58

ReNaeNae helped me a lot with this.

Foil vio (Full view)

Critque please.

Response to Critque please. 2008-11-14 08:52:27

At 11/14/08 06:49 AM, Slippery-Nipple wrote: ReNaeNae helped me a lot with this.

Foil vio (Full view)

Haha. What the..... I really like your surrealist stuff. It's minimal, but it's pleasing to the eye. It isn't too surreal, to the point where the viewer has no idea what's going on, which is always good. Really like your choice in colour palette as well. Nice colours that compliment and contrast each other. It works well.

Response to Critque please. 2008-11-14 09:01:01

At 11/14/08 08:52 AM, Chymo wrote: Haha. What the..... I really like your surrealist stuff. It's minimal, but it's pleasing to the eye. It isn't too surreal, to the point where the viewer has no idea what's going on, which is always good. Really like your choice in colour palette as well. Nice colours that compliment and contrast each other. It works well.

Thanks man, that actually means a lot.

Yeah, again, ReNaeNae helped, to be honest, she suggested the background and the swirl in his soft serve hair.

Response to Critque please. 2008-11-14 09:07:05

I think you should call him Colgate Head.

Response to Critque please. 2008-11-14 16:39:47

If he was in a picture where he was dressed up like a heavy marine, had a laser bfg chaingun X.5, had phrases and stuff like "die bitch" written on his leg armor, had red eyes, sharp fangs, demon horns and had a necklace of puny little pathetic human skulls around his neck, (heh heh heh) then i would buy a poster of it for about 50 dollars to hang up in my room. :D