00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Bam76pixon just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Anime Club

2,837,182 Views | 59,825 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Anime Club 2016-06-25 11:46:54

Tonnami is on tonight, but everyone knows that already I'm just inb4ing DSB lol.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2016-06-25 12:21:07

At 6/25/16 11:46 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: Tonnami is on tonight, but everyone knows that already I'm just inb4ing DSB lol.

I always knew that you wanted to be like me. lol

Toonami , the correct spelling, should be great tonight. No repeats.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2016-06-25 12:36:01

At 6/25/16 12:21 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 6/25/16 11:46 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: Tonnami is on tonight, but everyone knows that already I'm just inb4ing DSB lol.
I always knew that you wanted to be like me. lol

Some day...
I will train until my post-fu is good enough for my icon to take over the whole front page of the vg forum! All my topics, all last posts by me! Some day!

Anime Club

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2016-06-25 13:55:55

I started on Durarara.

I really like the format, where it's skipping back and forwards through time, filling in blanks and showing events from different character's perspectives each episode.

Not as sold on the world itself. Blew it's load on what Celty is far too soon, could definitely have gone for some more of the mystery of the first couple of episodes, and unless it's a deliberate red herring they've really telegraphed where her head is. Feels like a bit of a clusterfuck of ideas thrown together, so will be interesting to see how they can pull all the disperate stories together later on.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2016-06-25 17:09:25

At 6/25/16 12:36 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 6/25/16 12:21 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: I always knew that you wanted to be like me. lol
Some day...
I will train until my post-fu is good enough for my icon to take over the whole front page of the vg forum! All my topics, all last posts by me! Some day!

We will see, grasshopper.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2016-06-28 02:34:35

At 6/16/16 04:51 PM, RealFaction wrote: The toxicity of this thread makes me want to unfollow it. Bye everyone.

It hasn't changed, even in 10 years. Makes me miss the ADC some more.

Governor of the Anime Club

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2016-06-28 13:24:54 (edited 2016-06-28 13:34:47)

At 6/17/16 10:28 PM, SomaGuye wrote: Bloody hell lads I'm drunk and retro tripping through my internet childhood, incredible this is still alive, even with members that had been here ages when I joined! This is just a momentary pop in but it's good to see this community still going after so long.

Aw, I missed this post. My bad.

P.S Sense-Offender,
I was brought back here chatting to willy and he was surprised you're still using that sig he made you must've been about 7 years ago, still with the credit even.

Had this sig since the redesign. It's too cool for me to want a new one. @JaY11 did like my last three sigs, I think. There was the Electric Wizard - Dopethrone one and the one with all the different sludge/stoner metal flyer artwork. I still have those on my external HD.

God Luck and Good Speed fellas!

haha

At 6/25/16 01:55 PM, TheMaster wrote: I started on Durarara.

I really like the format, where it's skipping back and forwards through time, filling in blanks and showing events from different character's perspectives each episode.

I still haven't gotten myself to watch that one even though I own it. Been meaning to for a couple of years, now, I think. Baccano! was awesome.

At 6/28/16 02:34 AM, Naked-Shin wrote:
At 6/16/16 04:51 PM, RealFaction wrote: The toxicity of this thread makes me want to unfollow it. Bye everyone.
It hasn't changed, even in 10 years. Makes me miss the ADC some more.

lol It used to be real judgemental in here. This ain't shit.

Meeemoooriiieees...

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2016-06-28 17:10:05

Where were you back in the day? The thread was only slightly better than politics during a decade ago.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2016-06-29 10:28:35

Have you seen Baccano? Doesn't sound like you have, but Durarara is the follow up to Baccano (they even do that stupid thing with the numbered exclamation marks, Baccano having "!" and DRRR having "!!") and they have a similar style and format. It's a clusterfuck too until the last few episodes but it's one of my early favourites, I'd have recommended it before Durarara.

Response to Anime Club 2016-06-29 15:39:32

At 6/29/16 10:28 AM, Jackho wrote:
Have you seen Baccano

It's in The Pile, just haven't got around to it yet.

Anime Club

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2016-06-30 13:55:59

At 6/29/16 03:39 PM, TheMaster wrote: It's in The Pile, just haven't got around to it yet.

That is a very nice pile. Keep up the good work.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2016-06-30 17:36:43

At 6/28/16 01:24 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: lol It used to be real judgemental in here. This ain't shit.

Meeemoooriiieees...

Oh I know, I was there thoughtout most of it, specially with that weasel LL.

Now it's not as much, but still the same throat tearing flame wars in a lesser extent.

Governor of the Anime Club

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2016-07-01 09:47:45

At 6/30/16 05:36 PM, Naked-Shin wrote:
At 6/28/16 01:24 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: lol It used to be real judgemental in here. This ain't shit.

Meeemoooriiieees...
Oh I know, I was there thoughtout most of it, specially with that weasel LL.

I seem to remember lots of drama between him and Wonko.

Now it's not as much, but still the same throat tearing flame wars in a lesser extent.

Mendou got so much shit from Gendo and Haro when he was new for the anime he liked. It was like hazing. lol. I think it happened to Animetal, too. They were both good users.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2016-07-01 20:10:09

Out of curiosity, exactly when did the anime moe craze began? Especially since it have been an ongoing thing in the anime industry since the mid-2000s and the seeds were probably planted earlier.

People have became obsessed over these lately.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2016-07-01 23:37:19 (edited 2016-07-01 23:39:54)

At 7/1/16 08:10 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: People have became obsessed over these lately.

you what mate

I think we're well over the moe hump at this stage. It's still there but it's calmed down, with the biggest anime of the last couple years being action again like Attack on Titan and Kill la Kill. Compare that to 2009-2012 where the biggest shows were shit like k-on and oreimo. I think moe features have always been around, it was just never a mainstream attraction and especially not in the west.

To my knowledge (which admittedly drops off pre-2007 unless we're talking movies) it's k-on that kicked the moe concept into overdrive, in that it could hold up entire shows with literally no other draw nor any narrative development, compared to something like sailor moon where the characters have moe features but they actually fucking do things as well and serve a narrative purpose beyond selling overpriced figures. That's the peak we've been winding down from.

Of course it's been used long before that as a sort of supplement to boost success. The word itself has existed in japan since the 80s, and I'm claiming another point for Evangelion in popularising moe side characters from the late 90s to mid 2000s; characters who draw a lot of fans without them being the focal point of the show. In the very early development of Eva there was a push to have more male characters, in the end its two main girls are by far some of the most enduring and widely replicated anime characters.

Sorry I don't know what the fuck happened there, I tried making a snarky reply and ended up writing some sort of introduction to a speculative history essay. I'm bad at this anime club lark.

At 6/29/16 03:39 PM, TheMaster wrote: It's in The Pile, just haven't got around to it yet.

I spy the disaster artist. Really good shit that, even without any waifus.

Response to Anime Club 2016-07-02 12:35:45

Toonami will be a marathon of Hunter X Hunter tonight. All repeats. Feel free to skip it tonight.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2016-07-02 19:20:31

At 7/1/16 11:37 PM, Jackho wrote: shit like k-on

hey now whoa excuse me hey wait a minute whoa hold the phone hey now hang on a second whoa hey

K-On is good.

In other news ZZ killed Gundam for me so I quickly gave up that grand dream of watching every Gundam ever for the hell of it. Back to the same old '80s-'90s mecha OVAs and Lupin III. Might jump into Hajime no Ippo since that seems to be universally loved, but idk I haven't quite got the thirst for 75 episodes of Japanese boxing cartoons at the moment.

Response to Anime Club 2016-07-02 20:04:28

At 7/2/16 07:20 PM, Oolaph wrote: K-On is good.

I would argue but I have no right to

Anime Club

Response to Anime Club 2016-07-02 22:13:18 (edited 2016-07-02 22:13:38)

At 7/2/16 08:04 PM, Jackho wrote: I would argue but I have no right to

Why on earth would you get a figure of someone other than Mio

(this conversation is heading towards embarrassing places)

Response to Anime Club 2016-07-03 00:38:08

One Punch Man is coming to Toonami soon. Will you be excited to watch it? Is it an overrated anime?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2016-07-03 12:12:43

At 7/3/16 12:38 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: One Punch Man is coming to Toonami soon. Will you be excited to watch it? Is it an overrated anime?

I'm pissed that it's taking Gundam IBO's spot

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2016-07-03 13:42:14

At 7/3/16 12:12 PM, Dangerous-D wrote:
At 7/3/16 12:38 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: One Punch Man is coming to Toonami soon. Will you be excited to watch it? Is it an overrated anime?

I know. Maybe they will change it to a new time?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2016-07-03 16:03:42

Arslan senki season 2 just started, i recommend this series to anybody looking for an adventure/fantasy series. the novels that it is based on are written by the man who also wrote Legend of galactic heroes, so theres an emphasis on military strategy and coming up with schemes to defeat ones opponents during the battles, albeit less dry than LOGH. the visual style and animation isnt as interesting as the OVA series from the 90s but its adequately good. I actually liked the first season so much I started reading the original novels a bit, but im bad at getting through long book series so im not sure if i will ever actually finish those.

Response to Anime Club 2016-07-03 16:08:40

At 7/2/16 08:04 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 7/2/16 07:20 PM, Oolaph wrote: K-On is good.
I would argue but I have no right to

Yui fan?

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2016-07-03 19:22:06

At 7/3/16 01:42 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:

a later time

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2016-07-04 07:44:55

At 7/3/16 07:22 PM, Dangerous-D wrote:
At 7/3/16 01:42 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
a later time

Toonami regularly launches new series in the Midnight slot, so I'm not surprised Iron-Blooded Orphens is getting bumped down the line-up.

Jack of all trades, Master of none

Head Scientist of NG Mafia

& proud member of Anime Club

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2016-07-04 10:53:38

Rewatching Akame Ga Kill now!
It's still as amazing as always

Anime Club

Response to Anime Club 2016-07-04 22:25:39

At 7/4/16 10:53 AM, VenomationsTV wrote: Rewatching Akame Ga Kill now!
It's still as amazing as always

It's aging really well.

The manga is apparently following an almost identical disastrous ending as the anime.

Founder of the Newgrounds Anime Club

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2016-07-04 23:03:33

At 7/1/16 08:10 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Out of curiosity, exactly when did the anime moe craze began? Especially since it have been an ongoing thing in the anime industry since the mid-2000s and the seeds were probably planted earlier.

Since the 1970's, Japan has made a lot of things... well, cute. I don't know if the people of Japan at the time were depressed or just like screwing with everyone, but it started to take off towards the 80's and 90's. There has been some brushback against this in Japan (to say nothing of the hornet's nest in the states) among old-school otaku and others, but they were largely ignored. I don't think kawaiisa, or it's anime off-shoot moe, has completely gone away in Japan as much as it has been relegated to the otaku community and public faces of Japanese companies.

People have became obsessed over these lately.

There has been a backlash towards moe in the west, though even with that, there is a lot of anime fans in the west that like K-On!, Love Live and so on, (the lesbian overtones helps) so make of that what you will. Honestly, I don't think it's the concept itself as much as it is the potential squick factor of lolicon and incest that permeates around certain moe anime.

Shifting gears here, I started on Aldnoah Zero, and so far, I keep thinking that I'm watching Code Geass again, with Attack on Titan and MS team for flavor. That's not necessarily a bad thing per se, but it does give AZ an identity crisis, so I'll see how it goes in later episodes.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2016-07-05 21:07:38

At 7/2/16 10:13 PM, Oolaph wrote: Why on earth would you get a figure of someone other than Mio

wow I didn't realise I was in the worst girl club UH

(really I don't have much of a preference of Yui over Mio, Yui's figures are just cheaper/more common and I try to learn guitar so that makes us kindred spirits or something)

At 7/3/16 04:08 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Yui fan?

I actually like Mugi the most but no one else feels that way so she gets the worst figures and no re-runs so the prices get bloated :c