00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Sodacomics just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush

11,698 Views | 186 Replies

Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush 2002-11-14 16:47:58

I'm usually not one to jump on the bandwagon and pat celebs on the back when they decide to speak up for one cause or another. As far as I'm concerned just because some can act or write a catchy song doesn't mean they know what the hell they are talking about when it comes to politics. Obvious exceptions to the ones that do. However Sean Penn wrote a letter and paid an assload to get it published in The Washington Post. I think it's a really good letter but close to no one is even taking note. It's kind of long and I didn't want to clog up the front page with it so I posted it here for everyone to check out. I'd like to hear what you all think about it...

Response to Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush 2002-11-14 16:51:46

At 11/14/02 04:47 PM, seanbonner wrote: I'm usually not one to jump on the bandwagon and pat celebs on the back when they decide to speak up for one cause or another. As far as I'm concerned just because some can act or write a catchy song doesn't mean they know what the hell they are talking about when it comes to politics. Obvious exceptions to the ones that do. However Sean Penn wrote a letter and paid an assload to get it published in The Washington Post. I think it's a really good letter but close to no one is even taking note. It's kind of long and I didn't want to clog up the front page with it so I posted it here for everyone to check out. I'd like to hear what you all think about it...

where is it
P.S im first i think

Response to Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush 2002-11-14 16:53:26

O sorry

Response to Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush 2002-11-14 16:54:24

i dident read it it was too long and i need to take a piss so i can't stop and read things so could you sum it up for us retards who cant read more then 200 words thanks.

Response to Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush 2002-11-14 16:55:45

Mmmm ..... Sean Penn.

Response to Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush 2002-11-14 17:00:32

At 11/14/02 04:51 PM, bOOmertheCHUNKY wrote:
At 11/14/02 04:47 PM, seanbonner wrote: I'm usually not one to jump on the bandwagon and pat celebs on the back when they decide to speak up for one cause or another. As far as I'm concerned just because some can act or write a catchy song doesn't mean they know what the hell they are talking about when it comes to politics. Obvious exceptions to the ones that do. However Sean Penn wrote a letter and paid an assload to get it published in The Washington Post. I think it's a really good letter but close to no one is even taking note. It's kind of long and I didn't want to clog up the front page with it so I posted it here for everyone to check out. I'd like to hear what you all think about it...
where is it
P.S im first i think

wow another first idiot. god u are stupid.

Response to Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush 2002-11-14 17:01:24

HAHAHA SEAN BONER HAHAHAHA

Response to Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush 2002-11-14 17:02:41

I thought it was good until the end becuse it had no constructive criticism which dumbasses like dubya need.
It was a very intullectual and valid opinion,Sean Pean is obviously a learned man and I think would be a better pres. then Bush
but I'm Canadian so my opinion doesn't matter

Response to Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush 2002-11-14 17:05:36

HAHAHAHA PENIS IS FUNY anyways ur post sucks, like anybody cares bout a letter in the news u idiot

Response to Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush 2002-11-14 17:06:08

At 11/14/02 05:00 PM, RyoHahn wrote:
At 11/14/02 04:51 PM, bOOmertheCHUNKY wrote: At 11/14/02 04:47 PM, seanbonner wrote:: :

where is it

P.S im first i think
wow another first idiot. god u are stupid.

Sorry

Response to Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush 2002-11-14 17:16:08

Finally its good to hear from some one who knows what they're talking about, im tottaly against the bombing in afghanistan and bush's war on iraq. Canada's well known as a "peacekeeping country" and i think it should America's goal to be a little more like Canada

"you can bomb the world to pieces but you can't bomb it into peace"

Response to Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush 2002-11-14 18:03:30

I agree.

Response to Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush 2002-11-14 18:19:53

You silly mortals worrying about stupid America and other countries issues. I should just kill you all for being such idiots!

Response to Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush 2002-11-14 18:45:16

It's nice to see that someone is voiceing what is the concern of so many well minded americans. These are things that needed to be said. I share many of the same views that Mr. Penn put in this article. And I hope that the President does see and read this. Or at the very least get wind of it. The unfortunate part of this is that even though someone who has the intelligence and guts (and let's not forget the money) to say and publish something like this, is still given turned a blind eye by mainstream media. Suggesting once again that mainstream media is in fact owned and ran by the goverment and the corporations that run goverment. People say this is the greatest country in the world to live in. Well, perhaps at one time that was so but it isn't anymore. And we have our goverment more than to thank for that.

Ok enough ranting from me... Thanks for the enlightening post. And you immature kids that can't read more than 200 words or think that stuff like this won't affect you just because you live a pampered and sheltered life provided mommy and daddy. Please, grow up.

Response to Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush 2002-11-14 18:57:33

Man, what wars anyway? it's not like this is a direct attack to anyone anymore, we just go after whoever is "evil."

Response to Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush 2002-11-14 19:00:31

Mr. Penn's letter was sober, intelligent, and straight to the point. The fact that people consider it 'too long' is one of the reasons, I think, that America is in the shithouse in the first place. When your country starts acting like a rabid Wolverine backed into a corner, it's time to start really wondering what the fuck is going on. Patriotism is a dying beast -- just because it's existed so long doesn't make it viable forever. Humans need to start growing smarter. When politicians can be replaced by arguing five year-olds with almost no loss of verity, we have gots ourselves a problem. When a presidency is more like a television rerun than a solid step into the future, we have gots a problem.
Sincerely,
Mike Houser

Response to Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush 2002-11-14 19:40:29

Holy moley. I usually dislike Sean Penn, but he has shown himself to be a smart, informed and perceptive man. I think he deserves a pat on the back.

Response to Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush 2002-11-14 19:43:54

I don’t what to say.

Thing is, there are kids looking at this site. Kids who still have a lot of optimism and hope, both of which are good things. In contrast, I am a bitter 34-year-old man, and my opinions come mostly from getting shit repeatedly ground in my face over a decade of my adulthood. I feel a little wrong about giving my honest sentiment in this forum. I don’t like the idea of making a younger generation as bitter and mean as I have become.

If I were standing in a room with Saddam Hussein, with a loaded gun and with God, Himself, I would pick up the loaded gun and blow Saddam’s head right off in front of my creator. In fact, I would do that to Saddam’s entire damn parliament, one by one, God watching. I doubt God would do a thing to stop me. And I doubt I would have any feeling as I pulled the trigger. In fact, I know I wouldn’t.

That’s me. I hate the bastard. I’m not saying there isn’t a better way of going about things than George Bush is handling them. However, what I have seen in my 34 years is people get very big on “a better idea” only for as long as they are in a roomful of their friends talking about it. Then they try applying it in a practical sense (a few of them try) and that “better idea” dissolves so rapidly you wonder why they bothered. I’ve seen this time and time again. People don’t hold to their convictions. They don’t follow through. It’s almost as though they get some joy out of washing-out.

In the fall of 1988, Ronald Reagan—who by then, held the entire G.O.P. in his hand—backed his successor, the almost invisible Vice President Bush, for the nation’s highest office. Meanwhile, his challenger, Michael Dukakis, couldn’t not have been more of a featherweight. That same year, the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. signed a treaty to eliminate intermediate range nukes, yet it seemed more token than anything likely to seriously reduce arms (it didn’t). The west was winning the propaganda side of the cold war, no doubt, but at great cost to our moral character; corporate greed, community dissolution, hi-octane drugs and a “look the other way” policy towards sex crimes were setting us back from had been achieved in even the 1950's. All these matters were conspicuously absent from Reagan’s stump speeches for Bush, equally vacant during the Bush/Dukakis debates; all you heard was good news—about how computers would save the world and our public schools were just getting better and better. That, and how Jerry Falwell was, supposedly, some sort of latter-day saint.

And nobody—nobody—cared.

Sinners in the hands of an angry god?

No. Just fools. And now these same fools want to right open letters to “Bush II”, amusing themselves, perhaps.

Sean, you lost your mandate. You lost it in ’88—you and your whole damn generation. You could have changed the world, but you didn’t, and, quite simply, I doubt Gen “Y” has the numbers to change anything. They are of a significantly smaller populace than your group, and democracies work only by the strength of numbers. I’m not saying something can’t be done, but every year it gets a little harder, and I get a little older, a little more tired of reading innocuous platitudes with no substance underneath. I’m crusty and bitter and devastatingly pragmatic. I doubt God likes me. I doubt I care. But I have an awful habit of being right.

Response to Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush 2002-11-14 20:10:21

At 11/14/02 06:36 PM, Dobio wrote: Bush doesn't take people's advice. He's an American president for God's sake. I'm just waiting for him to declare war on us next because he thinks we are "a threat".

You're a moron and I can easily prove why.

Bush has an approval raiting of around 70%. That means 70% of American Citizens approve of what he is doing and that he is reflecting their views. That means Bush is doing what the majority of the US wants him to do. So how can you say he doesn't listen to anyone??

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush 2002-11-14 20:19:16

At 11/14/02 05:16 PM, HiValicous wrote: Finally its good to hear from some one who knows what they're talking about, im tottaly against the bombing in afghanistan and bush's war on iraq. Canada's well known as a "peacekeeping country" and i think it should America's goal to be a little more like Canada

At 11/14/02 05:16 PM, HiValicous wrote: Finally its good to hear from some one who knows what they're talking about, im tottaly against the bombing in afghanistan and bush's war on iraq. Canada's well known as a "peacekeeping country" and i think it should America's goal to be a little more like Canada

OMG! You Canadians are living in a fantasy world. Maybe if someone came and blew up your CN tower and other big building in Canada you'd be signing a different toon. Or are you all a bunch of pussies that would take it in the ass and like it?

So if I walked up to you and hit you in the face would you hit me back? Or would you let me keep hitting you? Then maybe I'd start kicking the shit out of your family and friends. Would you step in and do anything? Or just watch like a coward? You call that peace? You call having all your friends beaten and killed because you're to much of a coward to stand up to them peace? What a bunch of BULL SHIT! Sometimes you just have to hit back. Do you think if we didn't go after them and didn't do anything they would stop attacking us? Very unlikely! Because of our actions we have foiled many of their attempts after 9-11.

Take the shoe bomber. Those people are alive because they beat the shit out of him. Think they'd all be around if they were all pussies like yourself until the guy got his shoe to blow up?

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush 2002-11-14 20:40:51

What I think is Bush is gonna need Cheney to dust off tha dictionary if he wants to get thru that letter.

But I like whut hes tryin to say

Response to Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush 2002-11-14 21:08:40

OMG! You Canadians are living in a fantasy world. Maybe if someone came and blew up your CN tower and other big building in Canada you'd be signing a different toon. Or are you all a bunch of pussies that would take it in the ass and like it?

So if I walked up to you and hit you in the face would you hit me back? Or would you let me keep hitting you? Then maybe I'd start kicking the shit out of your family and friends. Would you step in and do anything? Or just watch like a coward? You call that peace? You call having all your friends beaten and killed because you're to much of a coward to stand up to them peace? What a bunch of BULL SHIT! Sometimes you just have to hit back. Do you think if we didn't go after them and didn't do anything they would stop attacking us? Very unlikely! Because of our actions we have foiled many of their attempts after 9-11.
Wade, I don't doubt your honesty, but what you're spewing are playground tactics. And while we're in that frame of mind, let's ponder some other juvenile behavior. Bin Laden's cronies blow up the World Trade Center (and somehow our government missed the ball on this when evidence was slapping them in the face). So we go after Bin Laden. So far, no dice on that one, we haven't found him, unless we accidentally blew him up during a 'precision bombing run'. So now, all of a sudden, we're going after Saddam again, just like the eighties all over. Another guy we didn't get the first time. Do we ever get the leaders?
Bin Laden attacked the World Trade Center once before. Blew up the parking garage and a few floors, if I remember correctly. Though not as bad as blowing the fuck out of both buildings, it was a major terrorist attack in which many Americans died. Did we catch him then? Nope. But we LET HIM DO IT AGAIN.
All your tough-guy rhetoric is good and fine, but don't you sometimes think that something beyond all of us is going on? Don't you think that the 'battle against evil' bullshit they keep handing out is a little ridiculous and patronizing?
Bush wants to bomb the shit out of a country that has had an embargo on it for years. Their people are starving and dying. Does this action make them like us instead of hate us? Fuck no. I think if our government really wanted Saddam they could get him in an instant. But that's not what they really want.
America is a schoolyard bully, to get back to the point. We've proven that throughout our entire history. Now we're butting heads with other bullies. Bullies that we made ourselves, for the most part.
I wouldn't let someone beat up my family. Especially if they'd already attacked my loved ones once before, and got away with it. But likewise, if I were an asshole pushing people over on my way to the bank, I would have to be a fool to not expect someone to push me back.
I would willingly fight for my family, friends, and ideals. And frankly, I don't think our government works on those terms. I was raised to be a moral person, and to recognize when someone is bullshitting me. And I feel that the president is bullshitting me.
Sincerely,
Mike Houser

Response to Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush 2002-11-14 21:24:39

Politics is a bunch of bull shit. you want to solve problems, nuke the god damn problem, can't find osama, nuke afganistan, can't find saddam's bio and nuclear weapon stash, blow iraq up and maybe you find em before they blow, and who ever the hell wants to mess with america, WE HAVE ENOUGH NUCLEAR MISSLES TO BLOW THE ENTIRE WORLD UP ABOUT 3 AND 1/2 TIMES SO DON'T FUCK WITH THE GOOD OLD U.S.A.
~ShadowofChaos

Response to Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush 2002-11-14 21:26:38

At 11/14/02 08:10 PM, WadeFulp wrote:
At 11/14/02 06:36 PM, Dobio wrote: Bush doesn't take people's advice. He's an American president for God's sake. I'm just waiting for him to declare war on us next because he thinks we are "a threat".
You're a moron and I can easily prove why.

Bush has an approval raiting of around 70%. That means 70% of American Citizens approve of what he is doing and that he is reflecting their views. That means Bush is doing what the majority of the US wants him to do. So how can you say he doesn't listen to anyone??

Wade, do you really accept the approval rating stats that are given us? I've never been part of any 'approval rating poll'. It's bullshit. Think of it as the TOP 50 listing on this site. Do you think every cartoon on that list is absolutely fucking fantastic, and better than all of the other cartoons on this site, and that everyone would agree with you? My ass.
Polls, in general, are full of shit. Easily manipulated, and representing only a small cross-section of the whole.
Mike Houser

Response to Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush 2002-11-14 21:37:30

The fact that not once were the words United Nations or NATO used in Mr Penn's letter highlight the self importance and arrogance that plagues American politics today. The whole "war on terror" is an excuse for mass re-armament which will fund the millitary-industrial complex, which incidently controls the government through historical political power. As a Brit whose father was wounded in the Birmingham pub bombings of the 70's i'll believe the politicians when they stop releasing IRA prisoners and start shooting them.

Response to Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush 2002-11-14 21:47:16

At 11/14/02 08:19 PM, WadeFulp wrote:

Take the shoe bomber. Those people are alive because they beat the shit out of him. Think they'd all be around if they were all pussies like yourself until the guy got his shoe to blow up?

all right wade i'll agree with you, canadians are pussies, pansies, and what not, but america was founded on blood and war and thats the way it will stay, i say since we have the capability we should line bombs along the american/canadian border and blow them out to sea away from america cause thhey are giving a bad rep to north america, the peaceful bastards, they have like no army no defense no nothing, if they were attacked they would be helpless, they would run to us for help, if i were pres i would say tough shit or i would have been the one invading canada, canada sucks, america rocks, and about that shoe bomber with the plastic explosives, i wish i were on that plane at the time, i would have picked his ass apart myself, of and i thik newgrounds needs a frigin chat room cause this forum shit is a little slow. and tom, when are you gonna reply to my e-mails. and america is the most powerful country in the world and allways will be even if we end up blowing everything to hell, its the american way. oh and the cast of Jackass, i congradulate you, you are true americans, you are living the american dream, doing stupid and funny shit for fun and getting paid for it, i wish it was that easy for the rest of us.

Response to Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush 2002-11-14 21:52:39

At 11/14/02 08:19 PM, WadeFulp wrote:

First of all, Wade, calm down. Second of all, anyone who starred in 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High' needs to shut the fuck up.

Response to Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush 2002-11-14 21:54:10

Kool Stuff!

Response to Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush 2002-11-14 22:13:36

hey kakarot_44 if you don't have anything to say other than "kool stuff" then don't waste your time, this forum is for important discusions/arguements not people who want to spam just to get their post count up cause thats the only thing the can get up (limp dick, low sperm count, ect) you poor bastard, say something of value or say nothing

Response to Sean Penn's letter to G.W. Bush 2002-11-14 22:15:35

... So I see... If someone attacks the U.S.A., the U.S,A. fights back, you know, legitimate defence... not! Have we learned nothing yet:
If not fighting back makes people cowards, then I guess Ghandi is a coward... And Jesus also, and Martin Luther king... and these people have achieved nothing at all now haven't they? What will happen once the U.S.A has nuked Irak? Aside from having destroyed a whole nation of innocent (...) people just for the sake of killing a bunch of crazy-ass extremists. It would be like if China decided Bush was evil ( let's say that he would have blown up one of their many...many many landmarks) and nuked the entire state of Washington... It's not all the innabitants of Irak who want Saddam at their head, there are still a few of them.

Look at what is happening in Israel and Palestine, they are using the brute force method... it seems to work really well...

On the other hand, the people America is dealing with a bunch of extremists and there is propably no way to reason with them, but I think that there is no way that starting a nuclear war will make anyone on this planet happier.

BBS Signature