00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

B0ss3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ask your FruityLoops questions here

662,537 Views | 6,553 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2008-09-05 00:20:15

At 9/5/08 12:07 AM, Rig wrote:
At 9/5/08 12:05 AM, Gloudas wrote: Is there a way to add swing to the piano roll? I know you can adjust the level of swing in the step sequencer, but that only affects notes not in piano roll...is there some way to make the piano roll notes have swing as well?
You could try just switching the steps to 1/3 or 1/6 beat and drawing it in like that.

True, it just seems like there must be some way to apply the swing to the piano roll as well. I don't see why they would make a swing feature without letting it be used in piano roll as well as step sequencer. If anyone knows of a way.... :P

A heavy bassline is my kind of silence.

Enjoy progressive house? Then listen to my song.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2008-09-05 00:26:55

At 9/5/08 12:20 AM, Gloudas wrote:
At 9/5/08 12:07 AM, Rig wrote:
At 9/5/08 12:05 AM, Gloudas wrote: Is there a way to add swing to the piano roll? I know you can adjust the level of swing in the step sequencer, but that only affects notes not in piano roll...is there some way to make the piano roll notes have swing as well?
You could try just switching the steps to 1/3 or 1/6 beat and drawing it in like that.
True, it just seems like there must be some way to apply the swing to the piano roll as well. I don't see why they would make a swing feature without letting it be used in piano roll as well as step sequencer. If anyone knows of a way.... :P

If I understand what you're asking, use the icon that looks like a grid on the piano roll window to change the snapping for notes in your current piano roll, if that solves your problem thank Karco for that :P

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2008-09-05 00:40:23

At 9/5/08 12:26 AM, S3C wrote:
At 9/5/08 12:20 AM, Gloudas wrote: True, it just seems like there must be some way to apply the swing to the piano roll as well. I don't see why they would make a swing feature without letting it be used in piano roll as well as step sequencer. If anyone knows of a way.... :P
If I understand what you're asking, use the icon that looks like a grid on the piano roll window to change the snapping for notes in your current piano roll, if that solves your problem thank Karco for that :P

Hmm, didn't know about that. It isn't what I was looking for, but it'll work perfectly for what I need

Thanks karco :D

A heavy bassline is my kind of silence.

Enjoy progressive house? Then listen to my song.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2008-09-05 16:07:32

I NEED HELP!!!
worst part is its going to be very hard to explain.
so im in the very beggining of a beat. im using three kick drums one with a sound that kinda reverbs. and then a snare.

kick drum: O I I I I I I I I I I I

this pattern sounds fine

the pattern to follow looks like this

Kick Drum: O I O I I I I I I I I I

the problem is that the two Kicks are so close together dont sound authentic. it sounds like just two of the same clip right next to each other.

i hope somebody understands and can help.

this might help.
right now it sounds like Bumbummmmmm i want babummm

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2008-09-05 16:17:22

At 9/5/08 04:07 PM, Cebster wrote: I NEED HELP!!!
so im in the very beggining of a beat. im using three kick drums one with a sound that kinda reverbs. and then a snare.

this pattern sounds fine

the problem is that the two Kicks are so close together dont sound authentic. it sounds like just two of the same clip right next to each other.

this might help.

yeah, I'm totally confused by what you're asking. I can't tell whether you're having a problem with your rhythm, or just a sound problem and trying to get more dynamics and uses different kick sounds in turn to make your beat sound more authentic(yes?).

If anything, try variating the dynamics...maybe the lound sound will give you the "ba" and the quieter sound will give you the "bum" - its really hard to understand this without actually hearing or seeing the problem. You could also try resampling the kick or just use a different one all together and see if it sounds better from there.

maybe try to take a screenshot of each piano roll window and describe with the image where your problem is.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2008-09-05 16:31:24

At 9/5/08 04:17 PM, S3C wrote:
At 9/5/08 04:07 PM, Cebster wrote: I NEED HELP!!!

this pattern sounds fine

this might help.
yeah, I'm totally confused by what you're asking. I can't tell whether you're having a problem with your rhythm, or just a sound problem and trying to get more dynamics and uses different kick sounds in turn to make your beat sound more authentic(yes?).

If anything, try variating the dynamics...maybe the lound sound will give you the "ba" and the quieter sound will give you the "bum" - its really hard to understand this without actually hearing or seeing the problem. You could also try resampling the kick or just use a different one all together and see if it sounds better from there.

maybe try to take a screenshot of each piano roll window and describe with the image where your problem is.

well i dont think you seeing the problem will really help its more of something you hear. yeah i tried some of your idea a bit earlier but it didnt sound right at all. im trying to think of a song i could show you where its done correct. i think it has something to do with fl. like when your in panio roll some sounds end when the key is rellease and sometimes you could hold the key down for a second and note continues. maybe thats a wav file or something. anyways you dont have to waste your time trying to figure this out but thanks for taking the time. i appreciate your help more then you know.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2008-09-05 16:45:08

Ahh- so are you inserting a sample and the sound continues to play and you want it to stop when you let go of the key? That can be solved by going to volume tab on the sampler, adjust the release time on the Volume envelope (the knob should say REL, its the last one) turn it to the left until you get it to your liking.

you should learn about envelopes- there's a guide at www.basicsofedm.newgrounds.com

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2008-09-05 17:01:35

At 9/5/08 04:45 PM, S3C wrote: Ahh- so are you inserting a sample and the sound continues to play and you want it to stop when you let go of the key? That can be solved by going to volume tab on the sampler, adjust the release time on the Volume envelope (the knob should say REL, its the last one) turn it to the left until you get it to your liking.

you should learn about envelopes- there's a guide at www.basicsofedm.newgrounds.com

thanks but i know to use nvelpose. but i need it to cut short the first time but carry on the second. well i guess if thats the case i could just clone the channel. i thought there might be a way to do it like you side chain something. so before it has time to carry on a trigger brings it down rapidly.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2008-09-05 22:30:39

At 9/5/08 12:40 AM, Gloudas wrote: Hmm, didn't know about that. It isn't what I was looking for, but it'll work perfectly for what I need

Thanks karco :D

Glad it helped. :)

At 9/5/08 05:01 PM, Cebster wrote:
At 9/5/08 04:45 PM, S3C wrote: Ahh- so are you inserting a sample and the sound continues to play and you want it to stop when you let go of the key? That can be solved by going to volume tab on the sampler, adjust the release time on the Volume envelope (the knob should say REL, its the last one) turn it to the left until you get it to your liking.

thanks but i know to use nvelpose. but i need it to cut short the first time but carry on the second. well i guess if thats the case i could just clone the channel. i thought there might be a way to do it like you side chain something. so before it has time to carry on a trigger brings it down rapidly.

In the sampler channel of your kick sound, go to the MISC tab. Find the button labeled "Cut itself" and click that - hopefully that's what you mean? It'll cause the kick to cut off midsample if you play it again while it's still playing.

If you want the kick to duck when it gets played again over an earlier play, I don't think I know how to do that - it might be possible, but I've never needed it to work that way. What I would do is clone the kick sample, and under the SMP tab, turn up the quick fade-out knob (labeled Out, near the bottom) until you like what you're hearing. It'll work for that rhythm at that tempo, but if you change either, you'll need to make a new sample with the Out knob at a different position, as you can't automate it.

And thanks for the plug S3C. :D

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2008-09-06 10:21:25

when i open up the patterns tool, and I start to place parts of the music infront and under each other,it still only previews the pattern selected and not the whole thing put together.
how do i preview the whole thing? I'm using FL studio 8 pro.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2008-09-06 10:50:04

At 9/6/08 10:21 AM, Gatekeeper0 wrote: when i open up the patterns tool, and I start to place parts of the music infront and under each other,it still only previews the pattern selected and not the whole thing put together.
how do i preview the whole thing? I'm using FL studio 8 pro.

Beside the play button there's two buttons that say "pat" and "song". Click on the one that says "song".

pervokative.bandcamp.com

pervokatively provocative perverted person

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2008-09-06 10:58:48

thanks so much :D

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2008-09-06 11:27:32

At 9/6/08 10:58 AM, Gatekeeper0 wrote: thanks so much :D

No problem dude, don't hesitate to come back if you have more questions :)

pervokative.bandcamp.com

pervokatively provocative perverted person

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2008-09-06 14:16:13

hey is there a way to change the loop points on the sampler?

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2008-09-06 15:41:48

At 9/6/08 02:16 PM, S3C wrote: hey is there a way to change the loop points on the sampler?

? Like change the point at which the loop starts?

If so, use the wavetraveller or fruity slicer.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2008-09-06 16:57:48

At 9/6/08 03:41 PM, Envy wrote:
At 9/6/08 02:16 PM, S3C wrote: hey is there a way to change the loop points on the sampler?
? Like change the point at which the loop starts?

If so, use the wavetraveller or fruity slicer.

Not exactly. I want the sample to start at the start of the sample, but once it reaches the end, i want the sustain to continue somewhere else in the loop eg 1/4 of the way. Wavetraveller wont work for this because it doesnt have a volume envelope control, but Fruity slicer actually will work-FL slicer might work but it wont let me save custom grooves :(

Thanks for the help Envy!

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2008-09-06 17:03:11

At 9/6/08 04:57 PM, S3C wrote:
Not exactly. I want the sample to start at the start of the sample, but once it reaches the end, i want the sustain to continue somewhere else in the loop eg 1/4 of the way...

In the samlper window, just adjust the CRF knob, and you'll see red lines on the waveform. This will loop between the red lines as you hold the note.

Ask your FruityLoops questions here

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2008-09-06 17:07:51

geez milkman how the eff did I miss that!? Thanks man, that's exactly what I need :)

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2008-09-06 18:50:50

(Yay! My first post in the NG forums!)
My question is really more of a request; I need someone to help me with mixing. The song I'm working on is not coming out nearly how it should, and I'm wondering why. So, I'm hoping someone here might be up to the task.
I can upload the .flp to www.sendspace.com, if anyone wants to take a look at it.

-Thanks.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2008-09-06 20:51:57

Could someone tell me how to make the sound of a note fade out once it's hit?

as always it'll be appreciated

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2008-09-06 21:38:25

I have been having some problems with recording my guitar in FL studios. I've have gotten everything set up the way it is suppose to (changing the settings inthe audio optoins to us the ASIO driver and doing the same int the mix sequence.) but when I arm the record button and hit the play button to start recording, it gets stuck on the countdown before the record. Does anyone have an suggestions on how to fix this? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2008-09-06 21:42:43

wtf is soundgoodizer it looks rly cool but i have no idea how to use it.

Your parents told me to tell you that you are a douche

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2008-09-07 04:41:30

At 9/6/08 06:50 PM, Aslan-Emanuel wrote: (Yay! My first post in the NG forums!)
... I can upload the .flp to www.sendspace.com, if anyone wants to take a look at it.

For your protecion's sake, I'd say that only sending the MP3 file over something like SendSpace should be enough. You wouldn't want someone stealing your work now, would you? At least, it isn't always the best idea to realease a project final until long after you upload the song somewhere or something, in my opinion.

At 9/6/08 08:51 PM, Mad-Mardigan wrote: Could someone tell me how to make the sound of a note fade out once it's hit?

as always it'll be appreciated

What you're looking to change is the ADSR values of your synth. A is for attack, D is the decay, S is the sustain, and R is the realease.

Attack is basically the "fade in" of a note when it is set. You use a high attack value for pads and stuff. Shorter attacks will result in the sound being louder right when you press a key. Decay is how quickly the volume of the note drops (because the attack goes to the very highest volume, then it has to drop down). What it drops down to is the sustain level. Sustain is how loud the note stays as you hold the note. How long the sustain level stays at can usually be adjusted by some kind of "hold" value.

And finally, what you are looking for is the release. This is how quickly the note fades out. I would think that whatever you are using should have some ADSR sliders or something, so if you want to fade out a note just bring up the "R" value.

If you want more info on ASDR envelopes, here's a picture.

At 9/6/08 09:38 PM, Zephyr-Stormwing wrote: I have been having some problems with recording my guitar in FL studios. I've have gotten everything set up the way it is suppose to (changing the settings inthe audio optoins to us the ASIO driver and doing the same int the mix sequence.) but when I arm the record button and hit the play button to start recording, it gets stuck on the countdown before the record. Does anyone have an suggestions on how to fix this? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Not very sure on your problem, but I think maybe there's a chance you have "wait for input" option selected. Somewhere at the top of the screen beside the recording button and tempo, there should be an icon that has a keyboard with "wait" under it (or push Ctrl + I). Make sure that's turned off, then try to record. Once again though, I don't record very much so I'm not too sure if this will solve your problem.

At 9/6/08 09:42 PM, st91 wrote: wtf is soundgoodizer it looks rly cool but i have no idea how to use it.

I think it's basically a compressor. You basically put that on an effect slot, and hope that it makes whatever instrument has it sounds better. And use the big and only knob to apply how much of the effect is used, and select a mode (A, B, C or D) and listen to how it sounds.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2008-09-07 09:36:18

I just checked into that and i'm still having the problem. I think I may need a new sound card that is ASIO ready. I just downloaded an ASIO driver. Thanks Milkman, for the input. I am going to put this under my favorites.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2008-09-07 19:58:08

Hey guys, I'm working on a techno song and it's sounding pretty good, but the problem is that I keep hearing a cracking sound after playing the song for a few seconds. I'm not sure why it's doing this but it just kills the song and I want it gone. Can someone please help me out?

When I die. It will be in a blaze of glory.

Metal Hellion/My band (Bestial Remains) Myspace/Sonic Crew

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2008-09-07 20:21:50

At 9/7/08 07:58 PM, Blackdoom13 wrote: Hey guys, I'm working on a techno song and it's sounding pretty good, but the problem is that I keep hearing a cracking sound after playing the song for a few seconds. I'm not sure why it's doing this but it just kills the song and I want it gone. Can someone please help me out?

try exporting the song, and seeing if the crackling is still there.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2008-09-07 20:38:11

At 9/7/08 08:21 PM, Envy wrote: try exporting the song, and seeing if the crackling is still there.

Thanks alot man that took care of it!

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2008-09-07 21:02:47

Hey sorry about the double post but here's a link to my song if you'd like to hear.
Boss Battle

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2008-09-08 22:22:08

whenever I use the plugin FL slayer for guitar sounds, it always holds the note, is there anyway to make it not do this?

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2008-09-08 22:35:48

At 9/8/08 10:22 PM, Gatekeeper0 wrote: whenever I use the plugin FL slayer for guitar sounds, it always holds the note, is there anyway to make it not do this?

Right click on the Slayer button, and pick "Piano Roll" from the menu. Using the piano roll, you can make notes as short or as long as you want by making the green boxes shorter or longer. The placement of the notes also determines the note played. I think that should solve your problem.