00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Vaittus just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Under Judgment Voting

24,869 Views | 238 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:38:46

you can't alter an swf

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:40:05

At 3/23/05 05:37 PM, pieoncar wrote: Stuff.

Believe me man, I really did check into this thoroughly before going over to the method we're using now. I've been researching it for a while. :)

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:40:24

At 3/23/05 05:38 PM, totoum wrote: i'm on mac and it works for me

Using what browser?

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:44:07

Ok, it works now.

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:44:27

At 3/23/05 05:34 PM, liljim wrote:
That's the way things used to work in the past, but there are complications with that now (and there were when we actually had it running, too).

Oh really? I didn't even know that. Well, I still think that this won't fully solve problems, because I remember seeing a movie that was 3 min long and only 99k. So..maybe the time could be increased more because I still think people might even just open something small and even if it is good, they will immeadiatly blam it because they can.

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:45:41

At 3/23/05 05:40 PM, liljim wrote:
At 3/23/05 05:37 PM, pieoncar wrote: Stuff.
Believe me man, I really did check into this thoroughly before going over to the method we're using now. I've been researching it for a while. :)

Then out of curiosity, what's wrong with the plan I mentioned? You and I both know that the current situation can be easily worked around in any browser (and I'm not dumb enough to say how on the BBS, so nobody ask), whereas using Flash would be all server-authenticated actions, essentially.

Meh, I guess we're all just going by the fact that very few people would ever take the effort to use a workaround though.

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:48:54

At 3/23/05 05:42 PM, Pink_beer wrote: Thats good n' all, but not for me. I have a fairly fast connection and when i watch movies i can normally right-click and press "play" and the movie will play. So it only takes me like 10-20 seconds to see the quality of a movie.

Woe-be-tied that you have to wait a WHOLE EXTRA THIRTY SECONDS before getting the vote panel, worse case scenario. Considering that even after the animation has loaded, you still have to WATCH THE MOVIE/PLAY THE GAME, which also should take time.

It might suck that you have to wait just a few more seconds for crappy animations before you're able to vote on them, but that's the whole point to this - there's more at stake than just your 30 seconds or so of viewing. Some of these artists do put shit together just to fuck around, but many of them aren't getting the time back that they've spent on the animation from the people who're voting on them.

How would you feel if you spent months on an animation or game and then some cock comes and votes a 0 on it just because they can't be bothered with waiting for a minute or two for it to load and then watch it through? I'd imagine you'd be pretty torn up about it, given that you're moaning about having to wait thirty seconds more than the max load time for your connection.

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:50:36

Wade, I think that you should add a factor to the waiting time, connection speed, putting a thing in the personal profile asking what speed you use, the faster the connection the faster the bar will appear, but then there is the issue of people all saying they have the fastest connection, so maybe instead there could be some sort of auto detect to detect what speed you have if possible.

Also, add a PHP timer to where the bar will appear.

"## seconds until voting bar appears"

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:55:07

I don't know, since this update I can now vote whenever I want, without even opening the movie. Just thought you might know you should fix this.

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:55:11

Its good that this has happened.... I know I used to come here daily and vote randomly on entries to get Experience points... there is the odd day where I spend time going through LOADS of flash, leave a review (i hate the waiting time between reviews!!! that should be sorted out) and vote how I thought it was. But meh, I'm gonna submit more than I have been soon enough... From November till now I've not done much but mess arrround with FX and watch flash movies! =O

New feature Will help too ^_^

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:56:51

At 3/23/05 05:40 PM, liljim wrote: Using what browser?

safari, that's apple's browser

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:57:55

I just have to say I dislike this idea big time. Just this morning I watched a Flash which were two fat kids dicking off infront of a camera. I watched the full thing and the voting bar still wasn't appearing. I assumed something was broken and didn't vote. The big problem with this is it screws over people with high speed internet such as myself with College T1 speed internet, load times are INSTANT. Plus most people aren't going to know why the bars aren't appearing instantly. And regardless people are still going to vote along the lines of who the author is and what type of Flash it is. Making voting more of a pain in the ass doesn't help ANYBODY. If anything it will just irritate voters of larger movies to blam them even further.

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:59:22

At 3/23/05 05:50 PM, FrOzEn_FoX wrote: Wade, I think that you should add a factor to the waiting time, connection speed, putting a thing in the personal profile asking what speed you use, the faster the connection the faster the bar will appear, but then there is the issue of people all saying they have the fastest connection, so maybe instead there could be some sort of auto detect to detect what speed you have if possible.

Also, add a PHP timer to where the bar will appear.

"## seconds until voting bar appears"

The idea of the ## seconds until voting bar appears doesen't sound like a very good idea to me. I mean, some people might be crazy enough that they just stare at that counter until they can vote 0 on something, just waiting instead of watching the movie. (People, this is Newgrounds, it can happen, it gets like 100,000 visitors in a week.) Now the other thing about auto-detecting speeds sounds like a pretty good idea, so uh, yeah.

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 18:00:48

At 3/23/05 05:57 PM, SnafuDave wrote: Blabbering

Maybe to help out people like this, you should actually have a visible timer of when the panel will appear, and maybe some text that says "The voting panel will appear in: XX seconds. To understand why, click here." and have the word "here" linked to an FAQ about this.

Just a suggestion.

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 18:01:16

At 3/23/05 05:45 PM, pieoncar wrote: Then out of curiosity, what's wrong with the plan I mentioned?

I'll contact you about this over e-mail tomorrow, since I would rather keep this thread down to bug reports rather than thrash out the ins and outs of the best way of doing things... Drop me a line just so I have a recap on your address - I do have e-mails from you already stored, but my inbox is a complete mess at the moment.

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 18:03:19

At 3/23/05 05:55 PM, Klatzko wrote: I don't know, since this update I can now vote whenever I want, without even opening the movie. Just thought you might know you should fix this.

Are you talking about voting on Under Judgement submissions? If not, you're not paying attention.

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 18:04:15

At 3/23/05 05:56 PM, totoum wrote:
At 3/23/05 05:40 PM, liljim wrote: Using what browser?
safari, that's apple's browser

Mac users have reported problems with several browsers, so thanks for the clarification.

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 18:08:12

This is good news. The only thing that annoys me is that I have broadband. So I would have to wait half a minute then vote, depending on how long the video was. Usually, most flashes are like 15 seconds long if they are just stick men, which are common.

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 18:15:22

At 3/23/05 03:21 PM, BlackVivi wrote: Great stuff ^^

Indeed.
Penis

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 18:17:28

Thats pretty nice. Yep, its nice.

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 18:18:03

yeah i've noticed it i was gonna make a topic asking what the deal was, i sortof knew but i wanted an offical answer. Even so i'm sure they will base the vote on the authors, because everyone else will too even though it's crap.

BBS Signature

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 18:43:01

I think this is a great idea, because i just submitted a movie yesterday: Majin Vegetto, and as soon as it got submitted the score was at 3.00+ even though it had been on for about 30 seconds:S, but i still got daily 5th place though:P lol

Currently working on: Sequel to the Super Tuffle (Yes Still xD)

XBL GT: EtherealMachine

BBS Signature

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 18:58:28

I think this is an excellent idea.

a.k.a. Mary

My NG Wiki Page

"i guess it's settled that carm is a the manliest and most chauvinistic of mods? ^_________^" - Rucklo

BBS Signature

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 19:02:15

I still go with the idea to not give any information while watching under judgement movies, or at least to hide up the list of other movies by the author and the profile. That way they have no way of voting on the flash based on who made it, and are forced to watch the flash unless they feel like throwing out random votes.

My art gallery, because I'm better than you at things.

BBS Signature

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 19:10:19

but i hate when a noob submits a 5 mb uncompressed movie about sticks, you can tell it's crap by their commentary as well. It's a waste of my 50 seconds

BBS Signature

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 19:14:12

I dont like the idea so much...Given it is competely fair for us to watch the movies, no problem there...but to have to sit through a movie purposely packed to fill the 5Mb limit but be completely crap...I've seen NG'ers already adapting to the change...

well, like, you couldn't, like, find it because, like, you're dumb, god

Follow me on twitter :3

BBS Signature

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 19:18:39

It sounds like a good idea, but also seems kind of annoying. I get the whole process, but waiting just seems silly. I mean, there is enough fair voters out there. The people who aren't fairly voting probably aren't very highly ranked so it won't hurt as much. If a video deserves to live, it will live. A great video has never been BLAMMED just because it was a person's first video. If a flash is truly worth watching and worth keeping around, it will stay. Besides, when I have friends that post videos, they usually send me the video early because they know I have a slow connection (56k) and it gives me a head start. AntiClockClock does that for me all the time.

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 19:26:08

Can everyone stop bitching about having to wait a few seconds? The changes are for the overall good of the site, so stop fucking whining.

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 19:33:59

Thats why its not loading, I though my computor was messed up. Should of read this first.

I am a new terror born in death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend.

BBS Signature

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 19:36:42

Good Idea.

Now we'll have less crap