Respond to this Topic
Zendra
Zendra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 51
Blank Slate
Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-24 02:50:59 Reply

At 3/23/05 03:19 PM, WadeFulp wrote: We have decided to experiment with a timer on the vote bar for users who watch entries that are "Under Judgment." Basically it delays the vote bar from appearing for a certain amount of time based on the size of the entry. So a 5MB entry would result in the vote bar being hidden for about 50 seconds. If the entry is 10k, the vote bar will appear almost instantly after the movie/game window is launched. We may play around and adjust the length of time the vote bar is delayed.

I think 50 seconds is quite long. But then again, if a movie is 5 Mb, then it must be something like one minute or two.

We still have problems with people not watching new content and voting based on who the author is, or other factors. Now that people have to wait for the vote bar to appear we are hoping they will watch more of the entry before casting their vote.

That is the better thing of this new system. But then again, there are indeed some authors that only submit crap. Take Err0r for example. So people will kinda vote automatically bad on him. Since all of his movies are crap.
They don't want to wait 50 seconds to blam a shitty movie.

NegaC
NegaC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-24 02:55:51 Reply

Great idea IMO. Although it only seems to enforce the delay on people who are logged in. Can someone confirm that?

someone-else
someone-else
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-24 02:56:08 Reply

At 3/23/05 03:19 PM, WadeFulp wrote: So a 5MB entry would result in the vote bar being hidden for about 50 seconds.

Having a delay would work, but 50 s for a 5MB entry seems high when sometimes it's just the audio that takes up all the space.

int experience, posts; while(experience/10 >= posts) {posts++};

MessiaH
MessiaH
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Movie Buff
Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-24 03:07:48 Reply

Good idea, it was always too tempting to vote before it had loaded up.

psylent-pstalker
psylent-pstalker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-24 03:28:23 Reply

I think this is a very good idea. Even if I don't like a particular artist, They may eventually put a good movie. Those people out there who don't watch the videos are losers and not real supporters of this site.

homerbr
homerbr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-24 04:23:26 Reply

On one hand I agree that having a delay so that people view the flash before voting is helpful, but on the other hand sometimes it is readily apparent that a flash is utter crap within the first few seconds....

Overall, I think that the change will help more than it hurts...

Homer

Blue-Elvis-Boy
Blue-Elvis-Boy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-24 04:46:29 Reply

Don't make a damn difference to me. Do whatever u gotta do man. listen i watch em if they r shit. trust me after they read my reveiw they'll know it. and if its good, but needs work i'll articulate like a mother F*****. And if it is a LEGEND...........well just ask the "author" of "METAL GEAR CRISIS" on the front page. I know my shit. Now ya gotta watch the movie or else how the hell will u know. well off to vote my last submission of the day. HEY HERES AN IDEA. - why dont u ppl do what i do. the rule says u can only vote 5 times a day that coint for points. well its too easy for protection point so i challenge for BLAM points. I will purposely sit & wait through the grey new under judgement toons watch em all & gaurenteed u will find at least 1 a day that suks so much u just know it will get blammed. im talkin bad crap that shoulda never been submitted in the first place. u know more ppl will blam it & it will indeed be blammed so vote to blam , blam it is n wallah blam point. but of course as u wait n watch more N more toons dont vote on it if u wanna save ur limited point votes, but always be a good sport n leave a reveiw anyways for all those toons even if u do vote always reveiw too. THE END

Blue-Elvis-Boy
Blue-Elvis-Boy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-24 05:17:56 Reply

At 3/24/05 12:05 AM, Shingami66 wrote: This will only slow down the system of getting the crap blammed and the good movies passed on . If a movie is submitted , and the titles's name has NO capital letters in it, the Author doesn't take time to write a comprehensable comment on his movie, or he DOESN'T WRITE ONE AT ALL, I blam it, and when I do watch these movies that are like this, they always turn out to be shit, 100% of the time. All I'm saying is that it's very obvious when a Author doesn't give a shit about what he's submitting, it's obvious when he put NO effort into it, most the time the comment will say "omg thsi sux blamm it lolz!!!111" I agree sometimes some score unfairly, and I can tell when someone tried really hard on a Flash and it didn't turn out that well because they are beginners, and I vote good on it even if I know I won't get a Blam or Protection point. I'm not trying to raise my points, I'm trying to police the never-ending stream of shit that comes onto this website. Maybe gettiing rid of Blam and Protect points altogether would work.

AS IN MY PREVIOUS REPLY TO THIS POST I STATED THAT I WOULD LET THE "AUTHOR" NO AFTER READING MY REVEIW THAT THEIR TOON IS SHIT IF IT IS INDEED SHIT. BUT HERE'S A NEW ONE. I WILL REVEIW A POSTED REPLY. YO SHINGAMI66 THIS AINT ENGLISH CLASS U CANT JUST BLAM A TOON WITHOUT WATCHIN IT IF THE TITLE DONT HAVE CAPITALS. U SIR ARE A LOSER. WHAT THE FUCK (usually f*** is censored but damn its necessary) DOES CAPITAL LETTERS HAVE TO DO WITH IF THE TOON IS GOOD. THERE COULD BE THE NEXT LEGEND OUT THERE AND U JUST FUCKIN BLAMMED IT BECAUSE HE FORGOT TO CAPITALIZE THE TITLE. FUCK U. U SAID U WOULD BLSM IT WITHOUT WATCHIN IT. U A FUCKIN POLICEMAN. "I'm trying to police the never-ending stream of shit that comes onto this website". U CANT POLICE IT WHEN U DONT EVEN FUCKIN WATCH IT. WELL FUCKIN POLICEMAN, I AM TAKING YOUR BADGE AWAY FROM U. CAUSE THERE IS A NEW SHERIFF IN TOWN. THATS RIGHT U POLICE. I'M THE SHERIFF. OH YEAH THE SAME GOES FOR THE PART ABOUT NO COMMENT OR NOT A GOOD ENOUGH COMMENT BY THE AUTHOR. FU AGAIN. BY THE WAY MR. PERFECT UR "comprehensable" IS ACTUALLY SPELLED "Comprehensible". SO I GUESS U SHOULD BE BLAMMED. BY THE WAY I DARE YA TO REPLY TO ME n TRY A MIS-SPELLED COUNTER COMEBACK CAUSE I KNOW I MIS-SPELLED SHIT CAUSE I AINT TRYIN TO BE PERFECT. U ASSHOLE. THE END

Rocketboy13
Rocketboy13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-24 06:30:35 Reply

A philosiphy of rational observation enforced by a timer, I like it.

Kleaver
Kleaver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-24 09:11:45 Reply

It's a stupid idea...some idiots make movies friggin big and they make me wait for it to BLAM it. I never blam something because of the author I blam it because It's crap. And sometimes I can see that it's crap in the first 3 seconds..

REMOVE THIS STUPID DELAY AND JUST LET IT LOAD INSTANTLY.

• Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 51
Reader
Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-24 09:12:35 Reply

Good idea, it would stop the assholes that vote before watching, especially who vote good on the blank screens..

Josherific
Josherific
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-24 09:32:24 Reply

Its a half decent idea really. I always try to take the time to watch at least 30 seconds of a movie before casting my vote. And there are a lot of people on the site who dont. This should give the less popular artists more of a chance in the evil gateway that is the NG portal, and, although it willl slow down the guarding against crap, it does show that NG is trying to make the place as fair as possible. In fact, one of my movies got a review stating that he was reviewing the movie and not the artist, WHAT THE CRAP is that supposed to mean? Arent you always supposed to rate the movie, regardless of whther you love or hate the creator?

Enough ranting from me. Its a good idea through and through.

Darklilangel23
Darklilangel23
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-24 09:38:16 Reply

i dont have a problem with the new system at all i always watch a new movie in its entirety before voting anyways just forces the bad voters to shape up or ship out

Dark Kisses In Sweet Places

ThunderLad
ThunderLad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-24 09:41:26 Reply

meh, i think its a good idea but some people arent going to like this

pukepuddle
pukepuddle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-24 10:14:43 Reply

I don't mind the new voting system, but some stuff is crap alreay, just look at the comment, like "OMGZOR my first flash", my hands are itching to blam it, but I got to wait and wait and wait and my head hurts of the crappy stuff, I always voted fair, once in awhile I voted wrong, but hé, I am a human after all.

JohnnyWang
JohnnyWang
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-24 10:16:40 Reply

Justice served!

I'm starting to like you Wade.

I don't take revenue from my profile. TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature
RedSkunk
RedSkunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-24 10:24:04 Reply

At 3/23/05 03:37 PM, Tremour wrote: Hell, if you wanted to go the whole hog, you could remove all details completely, including the authors name. Only the movie and voting panel would be displayed, meaning there would be no prejudice, what so ever. Well, apart from the preloader.

I thought this was a good idea, even with the "you won't know whether it's stolen or not" come back. Something to think about at least Wade. It would effectively cut out nearly all strategic voting..

At 3/23/05 03:54 PM, TheShrike wrote: It works fine in Mozilla and Firefox, just not Safari. This will be blocking a lot of Mac users from voting at all, since Safari is the dominant browser for Mac. It needs a solution.

"A lot."

*snicker*

The one thing force produces is resistance.

BBS Signature
EZ3
EZ3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-24 10:31:23 Reply

That sounds like a great idea. You could also ask authors to fill in how long the movie is (if it is a movie) and delay the voting panel for that long. Anything to stop stupid blam voters is good.

Bobby13
Bobby13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-24 10:34:24 Reply

what I cant understand is why they didnt make a link inside the entry to vote instead of letting them vote on it even if not seeing it those people are called 'free loaders'

loser159753
loser159753
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-24 11:20:58 Reply

should make the voting bar comes out only after the movie ended.

newgroundsguru
newgroundsguru
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-24 11:27:20 Reply

but what if you allready know what you are going to give a submition before its finished!!!!

The ONLY guru

BBS Signature
Anzeo
Anzeo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-24 11:27:35 Reply

Good idea, I agree people just vote to get BLAMS/SAVES, often without even watching the movie/game. I too do it sometimes (mostly when authors don't give comment or when the size of the file is ridiculous low). But sometimes you realy miss out good movies just by pre-voting.

You might even make the waiting longe, as movies often take longer then 50 secs, might wanna take 1 ùmin orso.

Nwayz: Very good idea (protection of quality content) and people who think this is an inconvenience are just annoyed they can't vote fast and actually have to spend time on it.

5h4z4d
5h4z4d
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-24 11:38:25 Reply

At 3/23/05 03:19 PM, WadeFulp wrote:

Basically it delays the vote bar from appearing for a certain amount of time based on the size of the entry.

yesterday when i was watchin flash the toolbar daint come up, and i was waitin 4 quite a while, i suno if its me computer or not but if is not plz sort it out:

Charlotte
Charlotte
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-24 11:48:09 Reply

So that's why I thought it wasn't working...

This is really good though. It should prevent some of those quality flashes that end up getting blammed, and vice versa. I like it!

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-24 11:48:42 Reply

At 3/23/05 03:19 PM, WadeFulp wrote: We have decided to experiment with a timer on the vote bar for users who watch entries that are "Under Judgment." Basically it delays the vote bar from appearing for a certain amount of time based on the size of the entry. So a 5MB entry would result in the vote bar being hidden for about 50 seconds. If the entry is 10k, the vote bar will appear almost instantly after the movie/game window is launched. We may play around and adjust the length of time the vote bar is delayed.

IMO, I think a 5MB entry should result the vote bar being hidden for around 100 seconds. I know that's a little too much, but it would at least people would have to watch the flash longer before making a vote. A 5MB entry could last around ten minutes, but there's always the crap that have bad optimizations.

That's what I think the vote bar delay should be like, but if you find the delay a bit over the top, then that's fine. I won't force you to increase the voting delay. I just feel that there will be flashes with great quality that are around 5MB and if the delay is a little longer, people will have to watch more of the flash. Some recent very good flashes that have been released recently I have watched do last quite a long time (I am aware that the delay can be quite annoying for some people that have finished watching a crappy 5MB flash and have to wait a while before the voting panel appears) and there will be people who will not bother to watch the flash or not bother to watch enough of the flash.

Maybe I'm wrong about the last part there since I always try to watch the entire flash, even if the flash can be utter crap. Once I've finished watching and I vote, I see people have already voted on the flash by looking at the score since I've been the first viewer of quite a lot of flashes. If I am wrong about something I've said in my post, then I am sorry. I just wanted to post my opinion about this new delay time for Under judgment flashes.

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ] Formerly Bahamut

Taoc
Taoc
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-24 12:35:00 Reply

It's not like this new rule will stop people from voting based on who the author is.

SlipperyMooseCakes
SlipperyMooseCakes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-24 12:41:08 Reply

This prob wouldn't work out but...

Maybe the Author can appear blank until the flash passes judgement. That way people will have no way of knowing unless they watch the whole thing and waited till the credits.

And if it doesn't pass it saves the Author embarssment and will have an easier time getting movies passed in the future when he/she improves.

High-Roller
High-Roller
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-24 14:45:05 Reply

At 3/24/05 11:48 AM, BloodGirl wrote: So that's why I thought it wasn't working...
This is really good though. It should prevent some of those quality flashes that end up getting blammed, and vice versa. I like it!

Eh, but it stinks if you know you're going to blam a 5mb flash (epileptic flash attempt, whatnot) and you just have to wait, watching the thing.

At 3/24/05 12:41 PM, SlipperyMooseCakes wrote: This prob wouldn't work out but...
Maybe the Author can appear blank until the flash passes judgement. That way people will have no way of knowing unless they watch the whole thing and waited till the credits.
And if it doesn't pass it saves the Author embarssment and will have an easier time getting movies passed in the future when he/she improves.

Interesting idea. >:/

BlackFenris
BlackFenris
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-24 15:05:23 Reply

At 3/23/05 03:21 PM, AngryToaster wrote: It sounds like a good idea. It just sucks that you can't stop the people who vote based on who the author is or what kind of flash it is.

It is a good idea so people vote fairly on under judgment stuff. This will get NG more entries that are voted fairly and throw away those that are uneligible.

Mistertbones
Mistertbones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-24 15:08:35 Reply

I am impatient Wade, but at least you made people like me take more time to make a vote.