00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RandomGuyTV just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~

133,397 Views | 1,941 Replies

Response to ~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~ 2010-12-06 17:20:55

Bleh, turns out my web host doesn't have the fileinfo extension installed for PHP. That's what I was trying to use to get file type information. My backup method (using a deprecated function) isn't reading PNG files correctly. I'll see if I can find a workaround.

Response to ~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~ 2010-12-06 17:27:50

At 12/6/10 05:20 PM, ShittyKitty wrote: Bleh, turns out my web host doesn't have the fileinfo extension installed for PHP. That's what I was trying to use to get file type information. My backup method (using a deprecated function) isn't reading PNG files correctly. I'll see if I can find a workaround.

...and now it's fixed. I removed the WBMP, WBM, and WPM file types because, on second thought, I doubt anyone's going to upload those types of images.

Response to ~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~ 2010-12-06 17:29:52

Alrighty, I'm calling it a day. Hopefully, I'll spend tomorrow relaxing (playing WoW Cata) or stressing out (appliance installation, calling up the insurance company of the person that ran into my car yesterday, helping wife study for finals, etc. etc.) and I'll have more nifty things to show you on Wednesday.

Response to ~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~ 2010-12-06 18:45:10

At 12/6/10 05:29 PM, ShittyKitty wrote: Alrighty, I'm calling it a day. Hopefully, I'll spend tomorrow relaxing (playing WoW Cata) or stressing out (appliance installation, calling up the insurance company of the person that ran into my car yesterday, helping wife study for finals, etc. etc.) and I'll have more nifty things to show you on Wednesday.

Thanks so much SK for all your work. You've done an amazing job on a project that honestly everyone thought would never see the light of day.
Enjoy!

BBS Signature

Response to ~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~ 2010-12-06 18:46:47

I just got home from work and noticed a shit ton on work being done. I've got a little bit of homework I should get done tonight but then I'll start work on replying to this thread and making some adjustments.

BBS Signature

Response to ~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~ 2010-12-06 20:58:09

At 12/6/10 09:50 AM, Rocket wrote: I'm using Google Chrome and didn't notice anything

SK, could you show us what you see on the Quick Jump menu; how they don't show up on their own respective line?

I like the idea, however it just feels like there's so much more space that could be used. I can't speak for anyone else but myself. My thoughts.

I saw your centered version and I actually don't mind it as much as I thought I would and it would certainly solve some issues I was having. I personally would prefer something that is a little different but again, this is something that we can very easily change in the CSS without even having to touch the actual page layout.

Haha, again, just my opinion and can't speak for anyone else.

Was there anything specific you liked about that layout, like certain sections or whatever, that I could perhaps work into the new layout? Was it just the overall general appearance?

At 12/6/10 11:36 AM, Rocket wrote: Quik, is there an easier way to contact you?

I was at work all day today but you can always email me at quikfox[at]gmail[dot]com and I'll respond as soon as I get home. But in all honesty I've been logging onto here and RG both before and after work everyday to check on this thread.

Excellent, if you want to write and I can look over with a fine-tooth comb I can. I have no problems there.

That sounds pretty good to me. I'll throw up a little zip file of just a blank page without any of the forum fillers that we can work with and then put in all the content once we get it the way we want it.

Again, I'm using Google Chrome and was having that problem. I have every browser installed on my computer for test purposes. I can check out some alternatives if we can't get it to work completely.

Yeah, if we cant come up with a fix for it I could always make the signin and register box one area which slides down from the top like you did with the top panel thing and then the search just in an area below that. This why they can both be open but they wouldn't cover each other if they were both open. I actually like the idea of having the signin and register box in the same area instead of separate areas. Anybody else concur?

I was actually planning on buying a 1-year to start. Through HostGator, it's 60 bucks for the year, plus a free domain. So I have no problems of buying/funding this project. If you guys don't mind, I can deal with all the financials. Ads, domain, hosting, etc. etc.

I can dump some funds into that, $30~40 right away if you like. You want paypal or something?

At 12/6/10 02:42 PM, Rocket wrote: On a side note, I tried putting in the top panel for the login/register/search functions.
If we wanted to go this route, I'm sure Quik could move around the code much more easily than I can.
http://coffeepowered.ca/retrogade/commun ity.html

I can get something like that working with the current script.aculo.us code I'm using for the pages right now. I'll see what I can whip up.

BBS Signature

Response to ~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~ 2010-12-06 21:05:01

The blank template is up.
https://sites.google.com/site/quikfox/

BBS Signature

Response to ~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~ 2010-12-06 21:09:15

At 12/6/10 08:58 PM, QuikFox wrote:
At 12/6/10 09:50 AM, Rocket wrote: I'm using Google Chrome and didn't notice anything
SK, could you show us what you see on the Quick Jump menu; how they don't show up on their own respective line?

This is what I'm getting with Firefox 3.6.12:

Before clicking on a link: http://jfsoftware.com/images/before.png
After clicking on a link: http://jfsoftware.com/images/after.png

Response to ~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~ 2010-12-06 21:47:35

At 12/6/10 09:18 PM, citricsquid wrote: you can get a high quality vps for dick all now, no need to stick with shared hosting any more, it's not the only option.

http://linode.com are my favourite, $20/m, requires basic server management but pretty much any one can manage it. freedom to install whatever you want!

Yeah, I had RG running on a VPS for a few months back in the good ol' days. It was nice.

Response to ~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~ 2010-12-06 23:02:52

At 12/6/10 09:09 PM, ShittyKitty wrote: This is what I'm getting with Firefox 3.6.12:
Before clicking on a link: http://jfsoftware.com/images/before.png
After clicking on a link: http://jfsoftware.com/images/after.png

Thanks, I posted about this on the testing site you have running. I think it might have something to do with the margins I setup to separate the menu options. I think changing it from margins to padding might solve that issue.

BBS Signature

Response to ~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~ 2010-12-06 23:23:57

At 12/6/10 11:02 PM, QuikFox wrote: Thanks, I posted about this on the testing site you have running. I think it might have something to do with the margins I setup to separate the menu options. I think changing it from margins to padding might solve that issue.

what about a little 1 pixel by 10 pixel high divider thing, like the ones on the front page of NG dividing featured games categories
"Action | Adventure | Driving | Puzzle | More..."

*realizes this solution might be completely retarded*
as long as I know, right ?

Retrogade Art

BBS Signature

Response to ~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~ 2010-12-07 00:03:46

At 12/6/10 11:23 PM, LethalDosage wrote: what about a little 1 pixel by 10 pixel high divider thing, like the ones on the front page of NG dividing featured games categories
"Action | Adventure | Driving | Puzzle | More..."

Thats just the "|" character. You know, if you press shift and \.

BBS Signature

Response to ~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~ 2010-12-07 00:22:04

At 12/7/10 12:03 AM, QuikFox wrote: Thats just the "|" character. You know, if you press shift and \.

hahahaha stfu
xD

I think it's happening because it's a test page, once there's a link behind it I have a feeling it's going to work fine, might fuck up if you tab off of one of them though =/

and I know that's a character, I was able to copy it

Retrogade Art

BBS Signature

Response to ~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~ 2010-12-07 01:25:49

At 12/7/10 12:22 AM, LethalDosage wrote:
At 12/7/10 12:03 AM, QuikFox wrote: Thats just the "|" character. You know, if you press shift and \.
hahahaha stfu
xD

I think it's happening because it's a test page, once there's a link behind it I have a feeling it's going to work fine, might fuck up if you tab off of one of them though =/

and I know that's a character, I was able to copy it

The problems I've been having remain, even if you browse off of that page and browse back later. The problems only go away when you clear the history, so it's probably something to do with the style for visited links.

Response to ~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~ 2010-12-07 06:54:47

At 12/6/10 08:57 AM, ShittyKitty wrote: I have a few requirements for hosting plans:
* PHP 5.3 or greater (although 5.2 would probably work, since that's what the test platform is running on) (preferably with GD enabled for server-side image manipulation)

PhpInfo: http://coffeepowered.ca/phpinfo/phpinfo.
php

It's running 5.2, and while doing research they said they can upgrade to 5.3 upon request.

* MySQL 5 or greater (with phpMyAdmin) and at least one database

MySQL version: 5.1.52
phpMyAdmin version: 3.3.8

* Apache server on a Linux machine

Yes on Linux CentOS

* Preferably cPanel

Yes

* Unlimited subdomains (I like subdomains, and some hosts like to limit them...)

Unlimited

I've got to get ready for work... I'll check the rest of the new posts later on today.

Quik, I saw you said you could put 30-40 towards it, I was going to pay for it all, but if you guys want the servers up right away (rather than the 16th when I get paid) then we can split the cost and get it up at the end of the day if you so choose.

The only bad thing is, someone has retrogade.com so we'd have to look for another domain name... there is newretrogade.com or retrogade.net

Thoughts?

BBS Signature

Response to ~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~ 2010-12-07 10:50:33

At 12/7/10 06:54 AM, Rocket wrote: The only bad thing is, someone has retrogade.com so we'd have to look for another domain name... there is newretrogade.com or retrogade.net

Thoughts?

A year or two ago, we made an attempt at bring back RG, and I got the domain name retrogade.org (and it looks like that one's unclaimed as well).

Response to ~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~ 2010-12-07 11:05:07

At 12/7/10 01:25 AM, ShittyKitty wrote: The problems I've been having remain, even if you browse off of that page and browse back later. The problems only go away when you clear the history, so it's probably something to do with the style for visited links.

can they be made stationary without the moving effect, or are the already suppose to be static ?
probably best for me to step back and try not to not help here

At 12/7/10 06:54 AM, Rocket wrote: The only bad thing is, someone has retrogade.com so we'd have to look for another domain name... there is newretrogade.com or retrogade.net
Thoughts?

I vote for retrogade.anything, newretrogade sounds like some noob forum board with 40 members

Retrogade Art

BBS Signature

Response to ~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~ 2010-12-07 19:22:25

At 12/7/10 11:05 AM, LethalDosage wrote: I vote for retrogade.anything, newretrogade sounds like some noob forum board with 40 members

I'll say general consensus is retrogade.org, which is fine by me.

BBS Signature

Response to ~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~ 2010-12-08 04:08:22

Man you guys are doin work! Christ. I can't believe you guys are actually motivated to do this...this is great.

Retrogade.com is taken?? Wtf? Looks like some random bullshit link site...that's just criminal...

No ideas on what else to use because everything else sounds kinda gay. I'm shocked that the web name is taken just for some stupid links...

Minecraft server: alureon.net

PortalWatch 0.1 Alpha - Download

Sig by illicit

BBS Signature

Response to ~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~ 2010-12-08 09:58:43

* Added flood detection (one post per 10 seconds)
* Added minimum post length requirement (basically, if I trim off the whitespace and there's nothing left, it's too short)
* Fixed the "previous post" and "original post" links for all topic pages after page 1

Next up: profile editing and signatures (text and pics)

Response to ~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~ 2010-12-08 11:04:49

Alrighty, accounts can now be edited and you can set signature text and images. Sig text takes the same markup as posts (and has the same validity checks), with a max of 256 characters and 5 lines. Sig images can be up to 256KB, and will be resized if the dimensions are too large. I've also fixed /post/ URLs so that the page automatically scrolls to the requested post.

Response to ~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~ 2010-12-08 12:37:11

At 12/8/10 11:04 AM, ShittyKitty wrote: Alrighty, accounts can now be edited and you can set signature text and images. Sig text takes the same markup as posts (and has the same validity checks), with a max of 256 characters and 5 lines. Sig images can be up to 256KB, and will be resized if the dimensions are too large. I've also fixed /post/ URLs so that the page automatically scrolls to the requested post.

Thanks SK for the work you put forth. I gave it a try, however after you edit your account, it just brings you back to the edit account page. No way back to the forums.

BBS Signature

Response to ~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~ 2010-12-08 12:45:18

At 12/8/10 12:37 PM, Rocket wrote:
At 12/8/10 11:04 AM, ShittyKitty wrote: Alrighty, accounts can now be edited and you can set signature text and images. Sig text takes the same markup as posts (and has the same validity checks), with a max of 256 characters and 5 lines. Sig images can be up to 256KB, and will be resized if the dimensions are too large. I've also fixed /post/ URLs so that the page automatically scrolls to the requested post.
Thanks SK for the work you put forth. I gave it a try, however after you edit your account, it just brings you back to the edit account page. No way back to the forums.

Yeah, that's somewhat intentional. The final page will have the standard header-footer business on it, so it'll have links for getting to the forums and whatnot.

Response to ~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~ 2010-12-08 12:47:59

At 12/8/10 12:45 PM, ShittyKitty wrote: Yeah, that's somewhat intentional. The final page will have the standard header-footer business on it, so it'll have links for getting to the forums and whatnot.

Make sense. Sorry if I keep bugging you about these things right after you do them lol.
Just trying to be helpful.

BBS Signature

Response to ~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~ 2010-12-08 18:35:55

At 12/8/10 11:04 AM, ShittyKitty wrote: I've also fixed /post/ URLs so that the page automatically scrolls to the requested post.

Would it be possible for the page to move to the post you just made after you submit it? For example; I post something, hit the post button and the page goes to the thread and scrolls down to the post I just made.

BBS Signature

Response to ~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~ 2010-12-08 18:40:12

At 12/8/10 06:35 PM, QuikFox wrote:
At 12/8/10 11:04 AM, ShittyKitty wrote: I've also fixed /post/ URLs so that the page automatically scrolls to the requested post.
Would it be possible for the page to move to the post you just made after you submit it? For example; I post something, hit the post button and the page goes to the thread and scrolls down to the post I just made.

Already done, good sir ;-) (if you notice the URL after you submit a post, it's /post/###)

Response to ~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~ 2010-12-08 19:35:17

At 12/8/10 06:40 PM, ShittyKitty wrote: Already done, good sir ;-) (if you notice the URL after you submit a post, it's /post/###)

Can't make a blank post apparently.

~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~

BBS Signature

Response to ~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~ 2010-12-08 19:38:34

I like the way those colors flash.
I think an animated gif 404 would be great for that type of error page.

BBS Signature

Response to ~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~ 2010-12-08 19:40:04

At 12/8/10 07:38 PM, QuikFox wrote: I like the way those colors flash.
I think an animated gif 404 would be great for that type of error page.

If there was a "like" button in newgrounds, this post would qualify.

BBS Signature

Response to ~~ Retrogade.dot.com.club ~~ 2010-12-08 19:51:14

At 12/8/10 07:40 PM, Rocket wrote: If there was a "like" button in newgrounds, this post would qualify.

Good thing I want to put in a like button for threads! If only Newgrounds could keep up with the times. Psh.

BBS Signature