00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TimeGoblin just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Summer Animation Jams ROUND 2 Winners

9,611 Views | 32 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Update: Round 4 will start on Wednesday, August 18th and will be a less demanding jam with a one week deadline. Everyone is welcome to participate, even if you haven't before!

Via Summer Jams organizer @BrandyBuizel:

Presenting the winners of the Saturday Morning Newgrounds Animation Jam!

Our judges panel reviewed all 46 entries and judged them according to their personal style, their nostalgia factors, their use of Newgrounds icons, their believability in airing during a saturday morning cartoon block, and whether or not the creators pour their cereal in before the milk. @BrandyBuizel, @Cymbourine, @el-cid, @jaxxy, @AnonymousAlchemist, @ChutneyGlaze, and @IvanAlmighty came to this conclusion:

15th Place - 1pt

Last place this round in particular was hard to judge, we had a 6 way tie for 15th, all really fun! All I can say is @nonotlenny rose above by making a very 80s cartoon that ended up being one of @el-cid‘s favorites; kudos.

14th Place - 2pts

@SethToons’s short is… short, but nonetheless the quick punchline hits hard. The whole thing is well executed and the titlecard is straight out of Looney Tunes or Hanna-Barbera. Love the NG watermark, but not required.

13th Place - 3pts

@MayaMalice creates an intro to a fictional show that @AnonymousAlchemist in particular wants as a series. The music elevates the whole animation of Newgrounds friends and foes.

12th Place - 4pts

@scottwjsm is willing to peek behind the curtain and give us a documented account of what really happens when a cartoon comes out of judgment.

11th Place - 5pts

@QueenBoo’s titlecard says it all in one image, but where is part 2? We were promised a part 2!! Catch up on the series with S1E06, the voice work is great.

10th Place - 6pts

Unless you’re a crummy sociopath I suggest you follow @bakertoons and their charming cartoons. This 90s PSA about drowning your fries in ketchup looks like Charles Schulz but plays like Schoolhouse Rock!

9th Place - 7pts

@Cukkucake created a tribute to @MindChamber by developing an intro for the show “Alloy” about a robo-boy who fights rats and saves construction workers. It’s always charming to see a hero save people, not just fighting bad guys.

8th Place - 8pts

@devoidgazer has a lot of newgrounds spirit in their entry. It feels like warm, comfy soup for the orange-wasteland soul. The mixed media here works really well and the color choices are nice nice nice!

7th Place - 9pts

@JCaluger had a strong early entry this round. A classic He-Man parody with the right attitude, a plethora of newgrounds characters in fitting roles, and some cheap alien hominid snarfing fun with repeated animation loops and cost-effective rotoscoping.

6th Place - 10pts

We got an animated intro, a titlecard, and a cartoon it’s the full package by @Leroysei. The STYLE kicks ass! Visuals lifted straight up from the Whoop-Ass “Powerpuff” Girls and it’s also funny. Solid entry all around.

5th Place - 11pts

@BuhlBoy I DID NOT SEE DR. KATZ COMING. This toon is perfect: @Oddlem kills it as boyfriend and the story is fully engaging until the very end! It hits the tone just right and the audio quality is comparably as terrible as the original.

4th Place - 12pts

@GiantOatmeal rockets from 15th place last round to 4th with the most fluid and impressive demonstration of quality animation this round. The style absolutely belongs alongside the other entries; it’s like test footage for a cartoon pilot whose budget is equivalent to the other 26 episodes in their first season.

3rd Place - 13pts

@BigVinnieBoe captured the essence of the theme really well in their Tom and Jerry, and Looney Tunes approach to the Madness series. Hank playing games with Tricky and vice versa fits so well against the bleak red sky of Nevada. The character designs are charming and the gags made us laugh.

2nd Place - 14pts

@Awful-Ike and co. are obviously in it to win it this year with another heavy-hitter submission in ROUND 2. Mixed-media is their jam, Strawberry Clock’s lips are luscious and the twist is too rad to spoil so go watch it!

1st Place - 15pts

@FLARE145 came out on top as the clear winner this round, perfectly encapsulating the theme in subject matter, charming visuals, plausible toys and over-the-top voice work. Six out of seven judges placed this entry in their personal Top 3 so all I gotta say is please watch, follow, and favorite. They’re gonna be doing great things on the site!

THE CURRENT SCOREBOARD

Here’s the tally as it stands now at the end of ROUND 2, still three more to go. By the end of the summer the creator with the most points will be crowned the winner!

@Awful-Ike - 27pts

@FLARE145 - 24pts

@DongffTK - 15pts

@test-object - 14pts

@JCaluger and @BigVinnieBoe - 13pts

@GiantOatmeal - 13pts

@BoboTheNinja - 12pts

@tomonaku and @BuhlBoy - 11pts

@TemorinkiNG and @Leroysei - 10pts

@GoodL and @devoidgazer - 8pts

@funneyvaughn and @Cukkucake - 7pts

@JanitorCrust and @bakertoons - 6pts

@jamspoon and @QueenBoo - 5pts

@scottwjsm - 4pts

@PhasmaGORE and @MayaMalice - 3pts

@Mucoid and @SethToons - 2pts

@NovanByworks and @nonotlenny - 1pt

Although the NewgroundsTV Bumper Collab was an excellent tie-in with the ROUND 2 Saturday Morning Livestream there weren’t any prizes associated with participating in it. @ScarecrowArts would like to recognize a couple of Newgrounds users who submitted a bumper and did not previously have a supporter status on the site: @Vlurr, @Ellsketchlr, @glotchalotch, and @segafan91 for their unique contributions to the bumper collab and awarded them each one year supporter status!

Browse all the bumpers submitted in the “Round-2-Bumper” tag and don’t forget to check out the ROUND 3 Announcement Post!!

Other News

We're now crowdfunding prize money for the Monthly Animation Prize, in addition to the games prizes.

@OrangePylon just released Abomi Nation on Steam!

Newgrounds Underdog Audio Contest tryouts end August 6th.

Fancy Pants Art Contest deadline is August 8th.

Isometric Quanentine Room Collab deadline is August 10th. Create a room within the template and become part of an interactive experience!

Animation Summer Jam Round 3 deadline is August 15th. Newcomers welcome!

Clock Day is August 15th and there are PRIZES to celebrate 20 years of B.

Summer Poetry Writing Contest deadline is September 6th.

We had a second Games API and SharedArrayBuffer update last week.

Play and review the games in our Egg-themed July Game Jam!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

I regret making my animation only not to win jack shit. :'( I wasted so much precious time and energy. That, and also, it's pretty sad that it got no attention and only 2 reviews.

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams ROUND 2 Winners 2021-08-02 10:04:40

THANK YOU!!!!! ON MY WAY TO THE OTHER ROUNDS!!!

iu_375403_9122155.gif

Response to Summer Animation Jams ROUND 2 Winners 2021-08-02 10:05:48

Congrats for those who were won the Round. But unfortunately not me, but whatever. :)

Response to Summer Animation Jams ROUND 2 Winners 2021-08-02 10:33:14

Oh wow! Was happy to see "House Cat Sez" made the list!

Congrats to all the winners! Lots of fun entries in this round :)

Response to Summer Animation Jams ROUND 2 Winners 2021-08-02 10:34:32

Congrats to all the other winners. Round of applause my friends!

Response to Summer Animation Jams ROUND 2 Winners 2021-08-02 10:42:00

At 8/2/21 10:05 AM, MMFan2004 wrote: Congrats for those who were won the Round. But unfortunately not me, but whatever. :)

Just keep pushing, you can only get better the more you

work on your craft. ✌

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams ROUND 2 Winners 2021-08-02 11:09:02

AAAAAA THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE PLACEMENT!!! Mad probs to the other winners and those who also submitted, you all did an amazing job!!!

Response to Summer Animation Jams ROUND 2 Winners 2021-08-02 11:14:48

I love the vibe that the theme for this round created! It brought in a lot of great stuff and I hope the future rounds continue to be as awesome. Congrats everyone!

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams ROUND 2 Winners 2021-08-02 11:19:55

At 8/2/21 10:33 AM, bakertoons wrote: Oh wow! Was happy to see "House Cat Sez" made the list!

Congrats to all the winners! Lots of fun entries in this round :)

I'm very happy it did too because that DANG that short is iconic!!

Ms. busy bee!! <3

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams ROUND 2 Winners 2021-08-02 11:43:39

iu_375485_8170755.webp

OH man, I am going to type an essay.

TL;DR-

Thank you everyone, for even watching my short in the first place & giving me hope in my 2D illustration/animation path.

I think it's amazing we all got up from our seats and made anything at all. Keep up the amazing work everyone. Continue doing what you're doing, & take feedback in stride. I believe in you.

LONG VERSION

Just wanted to say this before I forget - I'm likely considering abstaining from joining Round 3 to work on Part Two because i'm happy with what i'm continuing <3

Even if I didn't make it on this list, I definitely still feel like I have a lot I have earned from this.

My dudes, I'm very happy to have made even it on this list at all.

I just wanted to say I've abstained from animating for a while now & this year has been extremely rough for me in general.

So doing something for Round Two of this jam is one of the best decisions i've made this year, for I have gained experience working with other artists/VAs & even used original soundtracks by independent artists who deserve so much!

I still can't believe everything that has happened to me these past few days, all because I just wanted to have fun with animating some characters! <3 The turnout turned out better than I expected it would. I'm happy many enjoy my work in the first place.

I think it's amazing we all got up and did something in an attempt to entertain people, just because of the prompt alone. I'm so proud of us all that we made something we're passionate about.

I totally understand everyone's likely going through a rough times. So I leave you all with,

take care of yourselves, take a break if you need to, & you should be very proud of yourself. <3

Ms. busy bee!! <3

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams ROUND 2 Winners 2021-08-02 11:47:11

At 8/2/21 09:50 AM, CzySzy wrote: I regret making my animation only not to win jack shit. :'( I wasted so much precious time and energy. That, and also, it's pretty sad that it got no attention and only 2 reviews.

Dont have regrets my dood, we all thought your theme song was the strongest music piece in all the entries <3

There's just so many entries and so many factors other than sound to judge!

Response to Summer Animation Jams ROUND 2 Winners 2021-08-02 11:58:22

congratulations to the winners

Response to Summer Animation Jams ROUND 2 Winners 2021-08-02 12:05:46

Thanks to all the participants and good job winners!

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams ROUND 2 Winners 2021-08-02 12:36:26

At 8/2/21 09:34 AM, TomFulp wrote: Via Summer Jams organizer @BrandyBuizel:

Presenting the winners of the Saturday Morning Newgrounds Animation Jam!

Our judges panel reviewed all 46 entries and judged them according to their personal style, their nostalgia factors, their use of Newgrounds icons, their believability in airing during a saturday morning cartoon block, and whether or not the creators pour their cereal in before the milk. @BrandyBuizel, @Cymbourine, @el-cid, @jaxxy, @AnonymousAlchemist, @ChutneyGlaze, and @IvanAlmighty came to this conclusion:

15th Place - 1pt

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/806269

Last place this round in particular was hard to judge, we had a 6 way tie for 15th, all really fun! All I can say is @nonotlenny rose above by making a very 80s cartoon that ended up being one of @el-cid‘s favorites; kudos.

14th Place - 2pts

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/805900

@SethToons’s short is… short, but nonetheless the quick punchline hits hard. The whole thing is well executed and the titlecard is straight out of Looney Tunes or Hanna-Barbera. Love the NG watermark, but not required.

13th Place - 3pts

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/805859

@MayaMalice creates an intro to a fictional show that @AnonymousAlchemist in particular wants as a series. The music elevates the whole animation of Newgrounds friends and foes.

12th Place - 4pts

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/806731

@scottwjsm is willing to peek behind the curtain and give us a documented account of what really happens when a cartoon comes out of judgment.

11th Place - 5pts

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/806679

@QueenBoo’s titlecard says it all in one image, but where is part 2? We were promised a part 2!! Catch up on the series with S1E06, the voice work is great.

10th Place - 6pts

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/804447

Unless you’re a crummy sociopath I suggest you follow @bakertoons and their charming cartoons. This 90s PSA about drowning your fries in ketchup looks like Charles Schulz but plays like Schoolhouse Rock!

9th Place - 7pts

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/806809

@Cukkucake created a tribute to @MindChamber by developing an intro for the show “Alloy” about a robo-boy who fights rats and saves construction workers. It’s always charming to see a hero save people, not just fighting bad guys.

8th Place - 8pts

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/806772

@devoidgazer has a lot of newgrounds spirit in their entry. It feels like warm, comfy soup for the orange-wasteland soul. The mixed media here works really well and the color choices are nice nice nice!

7th Place - 9pts

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/805186

@JCaluger had a strong early entry this round. A classic He-Man parody with the right attitude, a plethora of newgrounds characters in fitting roles, and some cheap alien hominid snarfing fun with repeated animation loops and cost-effective rotoscoping.

6th Place - 10pts

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/806724

We got an animated intro, a titlecard, and a cartoon it’s the full package by @Leroysei. The STYLE kicks ass! Visuals lifted straight up from the Whoop-Ass “Powerpuff” Girls and it’s also funny. Solid entry all around.

5th Place - 11pts

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/806494

@BuhlBoy I DID NOT SEE DR. KATZ COMING. This toon is perfect: @Oddlem kills it as boyfriend and the story is fully engaging until the very end! It hits the tone just right and the audio quality is comparably as terrible as the original.

4th Place - 12pts

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/806171

@GiantOatmeal rockets from 15th place last round to 4th with the most fluid and impressive demonstration of quality animation this round. The style absolutely belongs alongside the other entries; it’s like test footage for a cartoon pilot whose budget is equivalent to the other 26 episodes in their first season.

3rd Place - 13pts

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/806566

@BigVinnieBoe captured the essence of the theme really well in their Tom and Jerry, and Looney Tunes approach to the Madness series. Hank playing games with Tricky and vice versa fits so well against the bleak red sky of Nevada. The character designs are charming and the gags made us laugh.

2nd Place - 14pts

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/806774

@Awful-Ike and co. are obviously in it to win it this year with another heavy-hitter submission in ROUND 2. Mixed-media is their jam, Strawberry Clock’s lips are luscious and the twist is too rad to spoil so go watch it!

1st Place - 15pts

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/806616

@FLARE145 came out on top as the clear winner this round, perfectly encapsulating the theme in subject matter, charming visuals, plausible toys and over-the-top voice work. Six out of seven judges placed this entry in their personal Top 3 so all I gotta say is please watch, follow, and favorite. They’re gonna be doing great things on the site!

THE CURRENT SCOREBOARD

Here’s the tally as it stands now at the end of ROUND 2, still three more to go. By the end of the summer the creator with the most points will be crowned the winner!

@Awful-Ike - 27pts
@FLARE145 - 24pts
@DongffTK - 15pts
@test-object - 14pts
@JCaluger and @BigVinnieBoe - 13pts
@GiantOatmeal - 13pts
@BoboTheNinja - 12pts
@tomonaku and @BuhlBoy - 11pts
@TemorinkiNG and @Leroysei - 10pts
@GoodL and @devoidgazer - 8pts
@funneyvaughn and @Cukkucake - 7pts
@JanitorCrust and @bakertoons - 6pts
@jamspoon and @QueenBoo - 5pts
@scottwjsm - 4pts
@PhasmaGORE and @MayaMalice - 3pts
@Mucoid and @SethToons - 2pts
@NovanByworks and @nonotlenny - 1pt

Although the NewgroundsTV Bumper Collab was an excellent tie-in with the ROUND 2 Saturday Morning Livestream there weren’t any prizes associated with participating in it. @ScarecrowArts would like to recognize a couple of Newgrounds users who submitted a bumper and did not previously have a supporter status on the site: @Vlurr, @Ellsketchlr, @glotchalotch, and @segafan91 for their unique contributions to the bumper collab and awarded them each one year supporter status!

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/806464
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/806612
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/804782
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/804665
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/804525

Browse all the bumpers submitted in the “Round-2-Bumper” tag and don’t forget to check out the ROUND 3 Announcement Post!!

Other News

We're now crowdfunding prize money for the Monthly Animation Prize, in addition to the games prizes.

@OrangePylon just released Abomi Nation on Steam!

Newgrounds Underdog Audio Contest tryouts end August 6th.

Fancy Pants Art Contest deadline is August 8th.

Sick! tysm for the shotout and supporter status!!

Response to Summer Animation Jams ROUND 2 Winners 2021-08-02 13:07:46

Holy shmoly second place.. everybody did a very good job this round.. Loved tuning in to the Saturday stream.

That being said, if anybody needs a voice for round 3, I'd be happy to lend myself.

Good luck y'all!!

OMG!!!! Ya'll don't know how much im crying right now, THANK YALL SO MUCH!!!!! On our way making round 3 ;-;.

ALSO CONGRATS EVERYONE ELSE THAT MADE TOP 10 YALL DESERVED IT

Response to Summer Animation Jams ROUND 2 Winners 2021-08-02 13:22:19

Congrats to all who win this round and good luck next time 😳

Response to Summer Animation Jams ROUND 2 Winners 2021-08-02 13:43:24

Congratulations to the winners! Round 2 was a blast to participate in. Also to be a part with all the other entries and bumpers for the Sat Morning stream was an extra treat. Alot of cool and great talent out there. Here's to round 3!

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams ROUND 2 Winners 2021-08-02 14:19:03

NO WAY 8th!!

I'm grateful that we placed in there!

Congrats to everyone who participated in the Saturday morning cartoon jam, there were so many awesome entries!

Loving the jam Brandy!

Hi :D

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams ROUND 2 Winners 2021-08-02 14:36:36

Hey, seven points! Not too shabby. Guess I’ll go ahead and go with my idea for the final round after all! Thank you to everyone who enjoyed my submission, and a huge congratulations to all of this round’s winners! All were definitely well deserved

Response to Summer Animation Jams ROUND 2 Winners 2021-08-02 14:48:24

At 8/2/21 02:36 PM, Cukkucake wrote: Hey, seven points! Not too shabby. Guess I’ll go ahead and go with my idea for the final round after all! Thank you to everyone who enjoyed my submission, and a huge congratulations to all of this round’s winners! All were definitely well deserved

Final round? Round 3 out of 5 baby!

Response to Summer Animation Jams ROUND 2 Winners 2021-08-02 14:54:33

At 8/2/21 02:48 PM, BrandyBuizel wrote:
At 8/2/21 02:36 PM, Cukkucake wrote: Hey, seven points! Not too shabby. Guess I’ll go ahead and go with my idea for the final round after all! Thank you to everyone who enjoyed my submission, and a huge congratulations to all of this round’s winners! All were definitely well deserved

Oh shit, my mistake then! GUESS I GOTTA MAKE 3 MORE CARTOONS THEN!

Response to Summer Animation Jams ROUND 2 Winners 2021-08-02 14:58:18

At 8/2/21 02:54 PM, Cukkucake wrote:
At 8/2/21 02:48 PM, BrandyBuizel wrote:
Oh shit, my mistake then! GUESS I GOTTA MAKE 3 MORE CARTOONS THEN!

hell yea, 3 chances to overtake @Awful-Ike and @FLARE145 to win first place!

Response to Summer Animation Jams ROUND 2 Winners 2021-08-02 16:07:11

I'm so happy for all the winners here!!! Your animations were truly beautiful and real fun to watch!!! It was just an honor to attend with all you wonderful people! I can't wait to see what you all do for the next round, I'll be cheering you all on!!! Good luck everyone! ♡(> ਊ <)♡

Response to Summer Animation Jams ROUND 2 Winners 2021-08-02 16:38:56

Yooooo I got a winning place on a NG jam for the first time! Congrats to all de winners and thanks for the support for my short! (Hehe that rhymed)

Response to Summer Animation Jams ROUND 2 Winners 2021-08-03 02:49:35

This was the best long saturday cartoon block in my life

"Please don't tap on the glass. Penguins can see and hear you alright. They just don't care."

Response to Summer Animation Jams ROUND 2 Winners 2021-08-03 10:12:48

Congratulations to all the winners and the participants as well! The Stream looked awesome and the blocks came out so good too! It was a wonderful experience to participate, looking forward to what everyone makes for Round 3.

Response to Summer Animation Jams ROUND 2 Winners 2021-08-04 14:01:42

Congrats yall!

Response to Summer Animation Jams ROUND 2 Winners 2021-08-04 23:37:55

CONGRATS to everyone who won

AS SOON AS I DIE I WOULD LIVE

BBS Signature