00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme
Upgrade Your Account!

Attention! We're rallying new Supporters to help us keep ads off Newgrounds!

Please consider becoming a Supporter today!

Shout out to @travsaus for megaphone tankman!

Events & Site Updates

4,106 Views | 27 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Tuesday update: New site skin by @Ikualdena!

This skin is celebrating Everything, by Everyone and the collaborative aspect of NG. You'll notice details like the art process of the character, as well as code and timelines for animations and music.

Ongoing Game API & SharedArrayBuffer Update

Last week @PsychoGoldfish released a Games API Update.

This update applies to game developers who want to integrate our Newgrounds.io API for high scores, medals and other assorted features like stats and event tracking. Goldfish has been fixing some bugs since the launch and will be moving ahead with project owner / moderator tools when the dust settles.

We also introduced a checkbox that games can enable if they require SharedArrayBuffer. You only need to use this if your engine makes use of SAB for things like multithreading. If you upload a game and it doesn’t work, check the error console and see if it requires SharedArrayBuffer. If it does, check the box and it should work! The tradeoff is that due to increased browser security, your page won’t be able to load third party assets (including YouTube embeds in the author comments) unless their host uses the proper headers.

Another plus of addressing this is that Ruffle may eventually use it, for better Flash performance.

Non-SAB Games Requiring External Scripts - Fixed

We had a quirk for the past week where games that didn’t require SharedArrayBuffer ran into issues loading scripts from off-site. This has now been addressed, so these games should work again (might need to give it a day for caching to clear). 

Some devs didn’t even know their games were loading third party scripts, as it was a default in the build process of their game engines. When you’re exporting a game, look for options to package all of the code in your game file. Anything that depends on code from another server could ultimately stop working some day. Knock on wood but Newgrounds has outlasted every other server so far.

Visual Novels

We’ve finally added a category for visual novels, so you don’t need to categorize them under Adventures / Sims. I’ve reclassified a handful but if you have a bunch of your own, it would be great to update to the more accurate genre!

Game Jam

Sunday was the deadline for our July Game Jam hosted by @Figburn. The theme was “egg” and we’ve received over 100 entries! A lot of them are eggcelent, as many have already noted.

Quick note: If you have bugs in your jam entry, you're welcome to fix them asap and not wait for judging to be finished!

I’ve been loving listening to game soundtracks in the Audio Portal and have featured a number of them already today. 

Collaboration with game devs and animators has been the goal since the Audio Portal launched in 2003, however I don’t think I’ve seen this much of it in a single game jam before. It’s hard for me to express how happy this makes me; I love to see people on the site come together and take their work to another level.

Summer Animation Jams

We also just wrapped up Round 2 of our Summer Animation Jams, the theme was Saturday Morning Newgrounds

Jam organizer @BrandyBuizel hosted a live block of cartoons on Saturday morning, which you hopefully caught on the front page. Everyone had a great time hanging out in Discord and YouTube chat, watching Jam entries together and talking about their favorites. I should note this jam resulted in great Audio Portal entries, as well.

The Round 3 theme is slated to launch this Wednesday, the 28th! If you haven’t participated in Round 1 or 2, please don’t hesitate to join in. Points are cumulative throughout the summer but it’s also fun to just participate and be a part of it.

Other Events

Akira Bike Slide Collab entry deadline is July 30th.

Newgrounds Underdog Audio Contest tryouts end August 6th.

Fancy Pants Art Contest deadline is August 8th.

Isometric Quanentine Room Collab deadline is August 10th. Create a room within the template and become part of an interactive experience!

Clock Day is August 15th and there are PRIZES to celebrate 20 years of B.

Summer Poetry Writing Contest deadline is September 6th.

It would be great if you took some time this week to check out and vote on the recent game and animation jam entries!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Events & Site Updates 2021-07-26 17:21:16

this stuff is awesome! thanks for the updates.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew

Response to Events & Site Updates 2021-07-26 17:21:55

i just wish i could put ng api in easyrpg games

get the milk and property

BBS Signature

Response to Events & Site Updates 2021-07-26 17:43:01

Thank you Tom very cool

BBS Signature

Response to Events & Site Updates 2021-07-26 17:48:17 (edited 2021-07-26 17:52:01)

As always, everything is cool

BBS Signature

Response to Events & Site Updates 2021-07-26 17:59:38

Thanks for the update! Good luck to those who participated in Round 2, I'm amazed at how some people tackled the traditional cel-animation look in their entries. Some really looked like they came from that era!

BBS Signature

Response to Events & Site Updates 2021-07-26 18:51:28

Great updates as always. Can't wait for Clock Day!

Your local Newgrounds fanboy and musician.

Bandcamp - Ko-fi

BBS Signature

Response to Events & Site Updates 2021-07-26 19:33:59

There's a summer poetry writing contest with cash prizes happening in the writing forum right now. I didn't see it mentioned here.

I'd love to see more people enter. You can find it here!

Response to Events & Site Updates 2021-07-26 19:42:17

At 7/26/21 07:33 PM, Squeezeblossom wrote: There's a summer poetry writing contest with cash prizes happening in the writing forum right now. I didn't see it mentioned here.

I'd love to see more people enter. You can find it here!

Thanks for the reminder, I added it to the main post!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Events & Site Updates 2021-07-26 19:59:55

Tom what are your thoughts on adding improved functionality to the BBS with options such as sorting replies by things like the newest reply, or replies with the most reactions?

"Orthur"

BBS Signature

Response to Events & Site Updates 2021-07-26 21:03:42

who are you

Response to Events & Site Updates 2021-07-26 23:49:21

There's a few games I know which are visual novels, but they aren't mine. Where do I suggest they be added to the list - in the Wi/Ht forum?

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Events & Site Updates 2021-07-27 04:12:39

Pretty cool. Tom.

Response to Events & Site Updates 2021-07-27 04:14:48

Every Update Is Amazing

Hi I Guess

Response to Events & Site Updates 2021-07-27 12:42:46

Thanks for everything, dear God.

@God trollololol

Nice to meet you, I'm Krunoslav. :3

BBS Signature

Response to Events & Site Updates 2021-07-27 13:20:25

Thanks for being responsive and taking my request for a vn category into consideration. goes to show how much newgrounds actually listens to its users

I make games, they're good sometimes.

Response to Events & Site Updates 2021-07-27 15:47:51

At 7/26/21 09:03 PM, Piss wrote: who are you

No idea who this guy is.

i like matio

BBS Signature

Response to Events & Site Updates 2021-07-27 17:41:16

Thanks for putting my egg game on the frontpage for a bit! And good luck to all entrants to all contests!

Response to Events & Site Updates 2021-07-28 05:32:06

cool

Response to Events & Site Updates 2021-07-28 08:39:03

nice, can't wait to not use all these features due to my procrastination issues

Satire

Response to Events & Site Updates 2021-07-28 09:14:54

Well that's good for the website updates, I'm glad that the medal system is slowly being fixed. I also don't like the purple theme letters, just only for the classic portal, it's to know on which submissions are in under judgment or not..

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

Response to Events & Site Updates 2021-07-28 09:21:13

At 7/26/21 09:03 PM, Piss wrote: who are you

Who who

Response to Events & Site Updates 2021-07-28 09:37:10

At 7/26/21 05:19 PM, TomFulp wrote: Tuesday update: New site skin by @Ikualdena!

This skin is celebrating Everything, by Everyone and the collaborative aspect of NG. You'll notice details like the art process of the character, as well as code and timelines for animations and music.

Ongoing Game API & SharedArrayBuffer Update

Last week @PsychoGoldfish released a Games API Update.

This update applies to game developers who want to integrate our Newgrounds.io API for high scores, medals and other assorted features like stats and event tracking. Goldfish has been fixing some bugs since the launch and will be moving ahead with project owner / moderator tools when the dust settles.

We also introduced a checkbox that games can enable if they require SharedArrayBuffer. You only need to use this if your engine makes use of SAB for things like multithreading. If you upload a game and it doesn’t work, check the error console and see if it requires SharedArrayBuffer. If it does, check the box and it should work! The tradeoff is that due to increased browser security, your page won’t be able to load third party assets (including YouTube embeds in the author comments) unless their host uses the proper headers.

Another plus of addressing this is that Ruffle may eventually use it, for better Flash performance.

Non-SAB Games Requiring External Scripts - Fixed

We had a quirk for the past week where games that didn’t require SharedArrayBuffer ran into issues loading scripts from off-site. This has now been addressed, so these games should work again (might need to give it a day for caching to clear). 

Some devs didn’t even know their games were loading third party scripts, as it was a default in the build process of their game engines. When you’re exporting a game, look for options to package all of the code in your game file. Anything that depends on code from another server could ultimately stop working some day. Knock on wood but Newgrounds has outlasted every other server so far.

Visual Novels

We’ve finally added a category for visual novels, so you don’t need to categorize them under Adventures / Sims. I’ve reclassified a handful but if you have a bunch of your own, it would be great to update to the more accurate genre!

Game Jam

Sunday was the deadline for our July Game Jam hosted by @Figburn. The theme was “egg” and we’ve received over 100 entries! A lot of them are eggcelent, as many have already noted.

Quick note: If you have bugs in your jam entry, you're welcome to fix them asap and not wait for judging to be finished!

I’ve been loving listening to game soundtracks in the Audio Portal and have featured a number of them already today. 

Collaboration with game devs and animators has been the goal since the Audio Portal launched in 2003, however I don’t think I’ve seen this much of it in a single game jam before. It’s hard for me to express how happy this makes me; I love to see people on the site come together and take their work to another level.

Summer Animation Jams

We also just wrapped up Round 2 of our Summer Animation Jams, the theme was Saturday Morning Newgrounds. 

Jam organizer @BrandyBuizel hosted a live block of cartoons on Saturday morning, which you hopefully caught on the front page. Everyone had a great time hanging out in Discord and YouTube chat, watching Jam entries together and talking about their favorites. I should note this jam resulted in great Audio Portal entries, as well.

The Round 3 theme is slated to launch this Wednesday, the 28th! If you haven’t participated in Round 1 or 2, please don’t hesitate to join in. Points are cumulative throughout the summer but it’s also fun to just participate and be a part of it.

Other Events

Akira Bike Slide Collab entry deadline is July 30th.

Newgrounds Underdog Audio Contest tryouts end August 6th.

Fancy Pants Art Contest deadline is August 8th.

Awesome! :)

Pink Sparkles PonyGirl201642

BBS Signature

Response to Events & Site Updates 2021-07-28 16:09:24

purple NG is hella cool lol

loved the lime theme from before too

Response to Events & Site Updates 2021-07-29 06:08:53

Things are looking good so far. More updates needed.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Events & Site Updates 2021-08-04 21:14:57

Please our lord and savior Tom Fulp add a repeat button to movies so I can watch music videos nonstop

Response to Events & Site Updates 2021-08-24 01:13:25 (edited 2021-08-24 01:27:43)

Update: flash games work, but the medals don't unlock (at least not for me) - whatever script you added, please don't