00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Bruemeister just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Sum-21 Writing Contest! ($ Prizes!) DISCUSSION

12,386 Views | 78 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Anyone else live in the south like poor, unfortunate me? It's hot as hell down here. Let's have a summer writing contest!

SUMMER WRITING CONTEST THEME:

• POETRY!!!!!!
  • summer / heat / etc.

I don't write a lot of poetry, but I do like reading it! I've noticed you guys write a lot of poetry, and you always ask in the other contests if you can submit poetry. Here's your chance!

I'll be looking for these main components:

• It must be a poem, but there's a ton of freedom in that. It can be short, long, a haiku, a sonnet, rhymes, no rhymes, gluten free---whatever.
  • It needs to have a summer theme. This could be the actual season summer, or it could be about heat, or fire, or about a girl named summer---once again, lots of freedom.
  • If you wrote something for the summer jam already taking place, I'm ok with a double submission, as long as it is from this year and was only ever submitted on newgrounds.

Due date:

Labor Day! (Sept. 6th) This is the official end of summer for most of you.

Not for me. In crappy Louisiana, it will be summer until Thanksgiving.

Prizes:

$100 to 1st place

$50 to 2nd place

$25 to 3rd place

Judges:

As of right now:

• Little ol me
  • @Fersto
  • I need someone else!!!! If you don't wish to write, please help us judge!

Please write!!!! I absolutely play fair. So if I’ve ever banned you before, write anyway. If we hate each other’s guts, write anyway. Don’t skip out on the contest because you have a ban record or have had a thread deleted. Please write! I’ll read it! (And I trust my other judge(s) to do the same.)

Rules/Info:

Submit multiple pieces or just a single piece. While I don't necessarily mind multiple pieces, it would be nice to see the effort and time put into a single work instead.

Please write original pieces. While I wouldn't really know that you pulled up an old piece of writing you made years ago it does kind of defeat the purpose of the competitions. (To write!) If I find it posted on the internet anywhere else I will assume that it is plagiarized and it won't be entered into the competition.

Free-style/ free-verse poetry is totally cool, but make sure it isn't a short story. You shouldn't need more than one post to share your poem.

Other than that, no word count or topic limitations. Just make it a summer poem!

Other:

It's a good idea to write in your preferred program and then copy/paste into notepad to get rid of some of the weird formatting between Word and newgrounds that can happen. Whenever I post I write in word, copy/paste into notepad, then copy/paste into an old newgrounds blog page to make sure the format look good before posting.

@fro was the original person starting writing contests on here and I stole these rules from him. He's busy, off winning strong man competitions and throwing cars.

In the spirit of summer, here's this cool animated artwork by @Luis

Newgrounds summer by Luis on Newgrounds

iu_331416_1414829.gif

@TomFulp please add the Summer Writing Contest to your events calendar and please pin this thread to the top for me.

I'll send the money soon, in case I die, and then you have to pick a winner or just embezzle the money for supporter funds.

A PERSONAL NOTE- I haven't been around as much because my baby niece is terminal and is expected to die the end of this summer. I am trying to get ahead on school work in case I need to watch my sister's special needs baby, while she copes with losing this one. I will also be helping her get prepared for the funeral. This is why I haven't been present on the BBS as much. That said, I check my PMs and my notifications every day. Holla at me if you need anything and don't be concerned that the contest isn't happening just because you don't see me around. And send some positive thoughts/vibes/prayers whatever you do, toward my family please.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Sum-21 Writing Contest! ($ Prizes!) DISCUSSION 2021-06-15 19:33:12

Any questions just ask, people! And don't forget to enjoy yourselves!

It takes a real man to cry

It takes a real woman to strive

Maybe I could give this a try.

I joined a contest in mid-August at my local summer village a few years ago, and I wrote a short poem for that occasion. I may translate that to English and write another one from scratch for this occasion. Later!

Response to Sum-21 Writing Contest! ($ Prizes!) DISCUSSION 2021-06-16 17:56:54

Damn, can't wait to partecipate to this contest! I will try to write the best Poem about summer ever, and the fact that apparently there are no limits on how you must write it makes everything funnier to me!

Count me in, I'll give my best to this contest😤😤

Response to Sum-21 Writing Contest! ($ Prizes!) DISCUSSION 2021-06-16 19:09:13

At 6/15/21 06:46 PM, SevenOnAStick wrote:

Free-style/ free-verse poetry is totally cool, but make sure it isn't a short story. You shouldn't need more than one post to share your poem.

What if I wrote, say, 6000 words of rhyming verse? Is that too long? Are these meant to be short and powerful or would an epic told in some sort of sing-songy fashion be cool too?

At 6/16/21 07:09 PM, Teaseblossom wrote:
What if I wrote, say, 6000 words of rhyming verse? Is that too long? Are these meant to be short and powerful or would an epic told in some sort of sing-songy fashion be cool too?

Oh 6000 is probably too long, nothing like that please. It can be epic or song-like as long it's a poem and fits what SevenOnAStick said

It takes a real man to cry

It takes a real woman to strive

Response to Sum-21 Writing Contest! ($ Prizes!) DISCUSSION 2021-06-16 21:00:12

At 6/16/21 08:17 PM, Fersto wrote:
Oh 6000 is probably too long, nothing like that please. It can be epic or song-like as long it's a poem and fits what SevenOnAStick said

They should be more of a poem, less of a short story. I won't put my foot down on a word limit, but do try to make sure it reads like a poem, flows, etc. 🙂

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Sum-21 Writing Contest! ($ Prizes!) DISCUSSION 2021-06-16 23:25:06

At 6/16/21 08:17 PM, Fersto wrote:

Okay good to know. I'll probably keep mine on the shorter side. 6000 seemed like the upper limit for a short story here which is where I pulled that figure. I can probably get something deep and meaningful <1k words.

awesome sauce!

edit: i do have a question. i just realised that if i win i won't be able to take the money. i wouldn't feel comfortable getting it shipped over via mail and under-18s legally can't open bank accounts and stuff. on the off chance that the shit i make is actually good and deserving of a prize, is it possible to request a donation to a charity instead?

- signed, ME

Response to Sum-21 Writing Contest! ($ Prizes!) DISCUSSION 2021-06-21 07:22:23

At 6/15/21 06:46 PM, SevenOnAStick wrote:

i think that may just *barely* fit in a reply, depending on the length of the words. and you might not be a 100% sure something is good, so you might delete some words and stuff.

- signed, ME

Response to Sum-21 Writing Contest! ($ Prizes!) DISCUSSION 2021-06-21 08:50:38

At 6/21/21 07:17 AM, froggydafroggy wrote: awesome sauce!

edit: i do have a question. i just realised that if i win i won't be able to take the money. i wouldn't feel comfortable getting it shipped over via mail and under-18s legally can't open bank accounts and stuff. on the off chance that the shit i make is actually good and deserving of a prize, is it possible to request a donation to a charity instead?

Yep! I give the money to Tom usually and he disperses it through Paypal I think. But if any winners are under 18 and can't work out a way to get the money, I'm fine with doing something like that.

One time we had someone buy supporter for 2 or 3 people instead of taking the money as well.

BBS Signature

Man I wish I can join then forgot I cant write poetry

PENIS

BBS Signature

Response to Sum-21 Writing Contest! ($ Prizes!) DISCUSSION 2021-06-21 09:43:45

At 6/21/21 09:24 AM, Macrod wrote: Man I wish I can join then forgot I cant write poetry

Hang out with us and read it though!

At 6/21/21 08:52 AM, Ambr3llx wrote: Im not a good writer but, Can I help judge? Also good luck to the participants!

We do need help judging! I can't offer you anything for judging other than my thanks, but when it all wraps up around Labor Day, if you're still willing to help us read all of the entries, we'd love your input!

BBS Signature

Response to Sum-21 Writing Contest! ($ Prizes!) DISCUSSION 2021-06-21 11:43:07

I read this as a Sum 41 writing contest. I don't wanna waste...my...time....

https://linktr.ee/wobwobrob

Game Audio Designer based in UK

BBS Signature

Response to Sum-21 Writing Contest! ($ Prizes!) DISCUSSION 2021-06-21 14:36:18

At 6/21/21 11:43 AM, wobwobrob wrote: I read this as a Sum 41 writing contest. I don't wanna waste...my...time....

Hah, you weren't the only one XD - and I was warned up front.

I'm actually going to take a stab at this one, got a couple of weeks holiday in August which I plan to spend mostly lying in the sun doing as little as possible. Except writing stuff, so this will fit in nicely.

Response to Sum-21 Writing Contest! ($ Prizes!) DISCUSSION 2021-06-21 16:29:30

I don't write a lot of poetry, but I do like reading it! I've noticed you guys write a lot of poetry, and you always ask in the other contests if you can submit poetry. Here's your chance!

Well I did just pass a college poetry class, so why not, I'll give this a shot!

Response to Sum-21 Writing Contest! ($ Prizes!) DISCUSSION 2021-06-21 17:10:08

At 6/21/21 11:43 AM, wobwobrob wrote: I read this as a Sum 41 writing contest. I don't wanna waste...my...time....

I will also accept poems about Sum 41.

BBS Signature

At 6/21/21 05:10 PM, SevenOnAStick wrote:
I will also accept poems about Sum 41.

There was a young man named Deryck

Who's band drives people hysteric

Their songs are all killer

And none of them filler

They've helped me get through this pandemic!

Helloooooooo

https://linktr.ee/wobwobrob

Game Audio Designer based in UK

BBS Signature

Response to Sum-21 Writing Contest! ($ Prizes!) DISCUSSION 2021-06-22 13:36:51

Cool, time to lose again!

Response to Sum-21 Writing Contest! ($ Prizes!) DISCUSSION 2021-06-22 13:39:45

At 6/22/21 01:36 PM, Little-Rena wrote: Cool, time to lose again!

You win every single time you post though. Js.

BBS Signature

Response to Sum-21 Writing Contest! ($ Prizes!) DISCUSSION 2021-06-22 16:17:59

I think mine is summery enough.

BBS Signature

Response to Sum-21 Writing Contest! ($ Prizes!) DISCUSSION 2021-06-23 02:07:27

I entered as soon as I heard.

CIEIR, short for "Could It Exist In Real-Life?"

(Pronounced Seer: A person who can see the Future.)

See the future through music. Feel the future through music.

Response to Sum-21 Writing Contest! ($ Prizes!) DISCUSSION 2021-06-28 23:05:28

It's hit or miss but it feels like the end of summer near December for South Carolina. Ah...poetry. Must think carefully on this but I do have inspiration from the last several weeks of oven on a grill temps.

Response to Sum-21 Writing Contest! ($ Prizes!) DISCUSSION 2021-07-05 05:25:27

Y'know what, I'll enter just for the lulz. Wrote this today. I'm not sure how to handle the formatting yet but it seems to transfer okay into the forum post, so I'll do just that.

-------

Milk Lollies

Beneath the blistering sun,

when body heat gets hard to bear,

I eat milk lollies by the boxful,

and drip,

drip,

drip-

it melts in a puddle of flavour,

down my lips and on my face--

chocolate

vanilla

strawberry

ambrosia in the summer heat,

comfort and refreshment sweet--

one by one, they disappear,

till I could eat no more.

Response to Sum-21 Writing Contest! ($ Prizes!) DISCUSSION 2021-07-26 23:03:47

I love writing and reading poetry, it's nice to see a contest like this here, I'll join in!

Ceci n'est pas une signature

Independence Dog.

========================

A newly born and dainty pup,

Beneath the shade of tree on up.

An earthy lawn that's vast and green,

Around my mom- a dog like me.

A human girl, so wise and tall,

Cared and trained and fed us all.

My family was now vast but tame,

And I went by a many name.

A clumsy gait shaped into runs,

Warming days cast many suns.

Soon I grew the size of hounds.

Before the Dusk of Light and Sounds.

There was a shock! A boom and thrush!

Sparkles, fire, o'er many brush!

The birds did fly, with flags on high,

And so I fled- I don't know why.

All I knew was chaos, then

A human could've lent a hand.

Before I knew it, I was lost.

I sought shelter, regardless cost.

In my travels, I found one.

A loner, maybe someone's son.

A lithe and lonely little man,

A cigarette clutched in his hand.

There he sat, half in and out,

Not home-running- he sat about.

He ate little and without doubt,

Stayed awake through night and drought.

He seemed calm despite my frenzy,

He smiled at me. Could be friendsy!

I hopped in his car ajar,

Hoping he'd keep the noises far.

Hesitant, my Keeper seemed,

Something good in this he gleamed.

No more alone shall we two be,

And seemed to form a plan with me.

He got me toys, a snack, and bowl.

Machines that made the wind feel cold,

And though I tried to find abode,

He must've done what he was told.

The heat was constant; faint mirage-

He kept me locked in the garage.

No gate upon the backyard fence,

And I was kept from house entrance.

My bowls once full would fast deplete,

I found my beds upon his seat.

A recliner there, a car ride here,

I sensed concern from others near.

My freshest air, though tied to leash,

I patrolled around a narrow niche.

At the cave-like garage where he'd sit,

But honestly, I was fine with it.

He'd take me walking. Try to play.

Try to teach me how to stay.

These are things I knew already,

But perhaps he'd trust me if I're steady.

Then one morning, there came trouble.

Confrontation burst the bubble.

This peaceful place, now disrupted,

Brother human words erupted.

Unknown to me what they had spoke,

Hushed voices raised, and rage awoke,

My keeper barked and spat and kicked,

Please calm down, his hand I licked.

Things were thrown from Keeper's anger,

The brother calm, despite the danger,

And just when things could not get worse,

The brother spoke of me in terse.

He liked me, but not in garage,

and confronted Keeper through his barrage.

My keeper screamed not once but three,

And flung my bowl into a tree.

I never sensed the brother'd harm us,

But then my keeper free'd my harness,

And shoved me further from this place,

I apologized for this disgrace.

My keeper still, with froth of mouth,

Picked me up and threw me south.

The brother finally matched the heat,

And got between us, near the street.

I had no choice, to flee once more.

Just as frightened as before.

I turned to see them, now betrayed,

I saw my keeper's glinting blade.

And once again, I'm on the run,

Seeking shelter from the sun.

And though my eyes do see few hue,

I once again saw red and blue.

===========================

Based on a true story. My brother adopted a dog he happened upon on fourth of July, mistreated it, and I confronted him about it. He went apeshit, mistreated the dog further in his tantrum, and then pulled a knife on me. I called the cops, and now he's in jail. The dog ran off, and I haven't seen it since. I feel worse for the dog, but I've been reassured that he's been picked up and he's okay. The dog never deserved this drama (nor trauma), and I can't stop thinking about the incident ever since it happen. As of my brother, it's a kaleidoscope of emotions. I just hope this event gets him the help that he needs. As for the dog, I hope he's reunited with his original owners, who miss him terribly. I know that he's chipped, so it's likely. I channeled the worry, and I put it to words, from the dog's perspective.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Sum-21 Writing Contest! ($ Prizes!) DISCUSSION 2021-08-11 19:10:42

I really dug deep into my feels for my entry into this contest. Poetry is not a strength of mine and so I'd love to hear any feedback that anyone has. You can post it here, or PM me if you just wanna shred me and not look like an asshole in front of the judges, lol. I always thought poetry would be cool to incorporate into a story some day, so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

This summer it's been really hard to shake the melancholy associated with some of those old summer memories. Those moments I can never get back. My life is good, but memories stick so hard sometimes.

It's been a while since trying to write some poetry, so this was nice! I definitely still have a proclivity when writing for lots of rhymes. It's been nice reading everything!

Response to Sum-21 Writing Contest! ($ Prizes!) DISCUSSION 2021-08-24 03:47:21

Wow, that was an awesome exercise, thanks for hosting <3

And there's some pretty damn good entries in there, ayuh, I hope this catches on and we can see more of these contests.

I can't remember the last time I wrote poetry. This was a lot of fun. I kinda feel like I wrote song lyrics more than poetry, but I guess since there's no music behind it, it's a poem :^). For some background on what I wrote, I recently moved into an apartment for uni that doesn't have AC. At home I had gotten used to blasting the AC pretty much all the time, so it's been hell here.