00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme
Upgrade Your Account!

Attention! We're rallying new Supporters to help us keep ads off Newgrounds!

Please consider becoming a Supporter today!

Shout out to @travsaus for megaphone tankman!

Summer Animation Jams Round 3!

76,717 Views | 116 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Update: Round 4 will start on Wednesday, August 18th and will be a less demanding jam with a one week deadline. Everyone is welcome to participate, even if you haven't before!

Via Summer Jams organizer @BrandyBuizel:

Summer Animation Jams ROUND 3

Our judges for ROUND 2 need just a little more time (update: winners announced) to deliberate and choose the winners, but we want you all to have as much time as possible to create your animations for ROUND 3 and so...

ROUND 3 begins TODAY! Theme revealed further down in this post.

RULES and GUIDELINES

The entire event will be 4-5 rounds where individual creators are scored and awarded points according to their animation's ranking in each round. There are no eliminations and you are not required to participate in every round (though it will increase your chances of placing first).

Winners for each round will be announced within a week of each round conclusion. Points will be awarded as such:

1st: 15pts

2nd: 14pts

3rd: 13pts

4th: 12pts

5th: 11pts

6th: 10pts

7th: 9pts

8th: 8pts

9th: 7pts

10th: 6pts

11th: 5pts

12th: 4pts

13th: 3pts

14th: 2pts

15th: 1pt

By the end of the summer the creator with the most points will be crowned the winner!

You may work with a team or work on multiple entries per round, but each entry MUST specify the LEAD ANIMATOR who will get the points; this will be the project owner/author unless otherwise specified. You may only submit one entry per round as the lead animator.

The use of mixed-media is greatly encouraged this year though not at all a requirement. Bring your own personal brand and style in all of the works you submit or use these jams as an excuse to try something new!

Round 3 theme:

Game Fan Anim Jam

“Create a fan animation of a game or games published on NG in 2021”

The idea is pretty simple, nothing is cooler than receiving fanart, recently Friday Night Funkin' got to experience a ton of that love earlier this year in the form of an animation jam, but that's not the only extra-special, awesome web game on Newgrounds, so we're bringing the idea back in a bold new flavor.

Consider “Petrock Rocket Racing” by @DragonCoke, why do these little guys race? Do they feel? 

JAM REQUIREMENTS

Upload your animation to Newgrounds any time between now and the due date. There is no formal signup process, just tag your entry with “Game-Fan-Jam” to enter.

1. You MUST put a link to the game your animation is about in the author commentary.
  2. You may only choose games published during 2021, so be sure to check the “Credits & Info” panel on the left side.
  3. No A-rated games and your animation shouldn't be A-rated; we get plenty of NSFW loops daily on site!
  4. DO NOT select a fan game or fan parody of someone else's property or any major properties like Mario, Dragon Ball, Sonic or Friday Night Funkin' (this includes games like the Pico8 Demake published in 2021, we're not interested in any loopholes FNF fans, let's show some love to some other fabulous games on the site this time!!).
  5. Minimum length: 15 seconds.

A bunch of fresh games were just submitted to @Figburn’s July Game Jam, browse the entries if you’d like to make something related to their theme: “Egg”.

Music must not present licensing / royalty issues. Good resources include the Audio Portal (see Creative Commons info or ask for permission), an original composition by a teammate or one of these many royalty-free resources.

Browse the Games Portal and play some games!!

ROUND 3 Judges:

@BrandyBuizel - Did you expect someone else?

@TomFulp - Founder of Newgrounds, finalist contestant for the chillest guy on planet earth, and recently bestowed the “Pioneer Award” at the 2021 Game Developers Conference (GDC).

@ninjamuffin99 - The most followed user on Newgrounds, cityhoppin speedrunner, and the creative mind behind Breathing Simulator.

@64bitsanimation - These 3 guys know a little something about making successful and visually stunning fan animations for video games.

@Derpixon - Not only are they the 2nd most followed account on the website, but they make some pretty kickass video game parodies like Persona 5 and Final Fantasy 7.

@Figburn - Hosted the previously mentioned July Game Jam here on NG.

@Cymbourine - Our first returning judge, voice of one of the Monster Mashing girls, working on updating her Madness Dating Sim, creator of the rad promo banner down below, and GAMER!

Judges can choose to participate in a round, but they will not be considered in the rankings for that round.

Due Date:

Sunday, August 15th 11:59PM PST

Happy Animating!

Ongoing Jam Prize Pool

The Top 3 Winners Overall will receive a custom, commemorative Newgrounds shirt exclusive to the Summer Animation Jams (and they are sooooo comfy). The winners will get their pick from 4 special designs currently being worked on by a very talented illustrator, each receiving a one-of-a-kind prize to wear and brag about online and at the next Newgrounds meetup. The 4th design that remains will be sold online for a limited time at the end of the summer and all proceeds will go directly to kickstarting the next Newgrounds Animation Jam!

@BrandyBuizel will reach out to the winners via Newgrounds DM for shipping addresses when the winners have been announced and the jams have concluded.

@ScarecrowArts, @SrPelo, and Newgrounds each tossed in $500, @Derpixon $300, @AnonymousAlchemist and @LumpyTouch $200 each, @summerskoo, @53xy83457, @AlantheBOX, @CorTat-G, @wheezl and @VariantSeven each gave $100, @tiarawhy $75, @Iggykoop, @StaggerNight, @PssychoPie, @ZaazNG, @1DarkVoid, @Butzbo, @Saminat and @CaperCube each gave $50, @NickSenny $30, @MKMaffo $25, @ConnorGrail $20 and an anonymous fan donated $1,500!

The winners with the most points by the end of the event will be awarded these prizes:

1st - $1,400 + 1st place winner shirt

2nd - $950 + 2nd place winner shirt

3rd - $750 + 3rd place winner shirt

4th - $550

5th - $450

6th - $270

7th - $150

8th - $130

9th - $100

10th - $100

Each winner will also receive a copy of The Story Goes On by @ScarecrowArts on the platform of your choice (Steam/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch), and two copies of Frame Game, an upcoming game from @CaperCube and @stejkRobot on Steam (demo on newgrounds).

If you’d like to chip in to boost the Summer Animation Jams prizes, use the donation option on the Supporter page and PM me a heads up that you donated towards the Summer Animation Jams!

If you’re a donor and you’re interested in discussing future rounds, themes, and judges, shoot @BrandyBuizel a PM as well. We have a lot of ideas to work with but maybe you have something great to add.

@Cymbourine created this rad promo image for ROUND 3!

iu_370879_1.jpg

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 3! 2021-07-28 12:51:00

this topic is amazing! Im excited for some more niche stuff to get some love

https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/potatoman/sexy-potatoman

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 3! 2021-07-28 12:52:53

interesting

get the milk and property

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 3! 2021-07-28 12:53:44

At 7/28/21 12:51 PM, ConnorGrail wrote: this topic is amazing! Im excited for some more niche stuff to get some love

That's the idea! <3

Claps hands and smacks lips together

Let's freakin do this thing!

Edit: Is there a time Max or minimum?

This'll be a doozy but Im game! badum-tsch!

Ok, Ill see my self out now.

that theme is cool as fuck... if someone for some reason uses Kity Builder for this i would love them forever.

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 3! 2021-07-28 12:59:11

so thankful i got to make the banner for this theme... <3 cant wait to see everyone's entries! :]

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 3! 2021-07-28 13:00:17

At 7/28/21 12:46 PM, TomFulp wrote: Via Summer Jams organizer @BrandyBuizel:

Summer Animation Jams ROUND 3

Our judges for ROUND 2 need just a little more time to deliberate and choose the winners, but we want you all to have as much time as possible to create your animations for ROUND 3 and so...

ROUND 3 begins TODAY! Theme revealed further down in this post.

RULES and GUIDELINES

The entire event will be 4-5 rounds where individual creators are scored and awarded points according to their animation's ranking in each round. There are no eliminations and you are not required to participate in every round (though it will increase your chances of placing first).

Winners for each round will be announced within a week of each round conclusion. Points will be awarded as such:

1st: 15pts
2nd: 14pts
3rd: 13pts
4th: 12pts
5th: 11pts
6th: 10pts
7th: 9pts
8th: 8pts
9th: 7pts
10th: 6pts
11th: 5pts
12th: 4pts
13th: 3pts
14th: 2pts
15th: 1pt

By the end of the summer the creator with the most points will be crowned the winner!

You may work with a team or work on multiple entries per round, but each entry MUST specify the LEAD ANIMATOR who will get the points; this will be the project owner/author unless otherwise specified. You may only submit one entry per round as the lead animator.

The use of mixed-media is greatly encouraged this year though not at all a requirement. Bring your own personal brand and style in all of the works you submit or use these jams as an excuse to try something new!

Round 3 theme:

Game Fan Anim Jam

The idea is pretty simple, nothing is cooler than receiving fanart, recently Friday Night Funkin' got to experience a ton of that love earlier this year in the form of an animation jam, but that's not the only extra-special, awesome web game on Newgrounds, so we're bringing the idea back in a bold new flavor.

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/794738

Consider “Petrock Rocket Racing” by @DragonCoke, why do these little guys race? Do they feel? 

JAM REQUIREMENTS

Upload your animation to Newgrounds any time between now and the due date. There is no formal signup process, just tag your entry with “Game-Fan-Jam” to enter.

A bunch of fresh games were just submitted to @Figburn’s July Game Jam, browse the entries if you’d like to make something related to their theme: “Egg”.

Music must not present licensing / royalty issues. Good resources include the Audio Portal (see Creative Commons info or ask for permission), an original composition by a teammate or one of these many royalty-free resources.

Browse the Games Portal and play some games!!

ROUND 3 Judges:

@BrandyBuizel - Did you expect someone else?

@TomFulp - Founder of Newgrounds, finalist contestant for the chillest guy on planet earth, and recently bestowed the “Pioneer Award” at the 2021 Game Developers Conference (GDC).

@ninjamuffin99 - The most followed user on Newgrounds, cityhoppin speedrunner, and the creative mind behind Breathing Simulator.

@64bitsanimation - These 3 guys know a little something about making successful and visually stunning fan animations for video games.

@Derpixon - Not only are they the 2nd most followed account on the website, but they make some pretty kickass video game parodies like Persona 5 and Final Fantasy 7.

@Figburn - Hosted the previously mentioned July Game Jam here on NG.

@Cymbourine - Our first returning judge, voice of one of the Monster Mashing girls, working on updating her Madness Dating Sim, creator of the rad promo banner down below, and GAMER!

Judges can choose to participate in a round, but they will not be considered in the rankings for that round.

Due Date:
Sunday, August 15th 11:59PM PST
Happy Animating!

Ongoing Jam Prize Pool

The Top 3 Winners Overall will receive a custom, commemorative Newgrounds shirt exclusive to the Summer Animation Jams (and they are sooooo comfy). The winners will get their pick from 4 special designs currently being worked on by a very talented illustrator, each receiving a one-of-a-kind prize to wear and brag about online and at the next Newgrounds meetup. The 4th design that remains will be sold online for a limited time at the end of the summer and all proceeds will go directly to kickstarting the next Newgrounds Animation Jam!

@BrandyBuizel will reach out to the winners via Newgrounds DM for shipping addresses when the winners have been announced and the jams have concluded.

@ScarecrowArts, @SrPelo, and Newgrounds each tossed in $500, @Derpixon $300, @AnonymousAlchemist and @LumpyTouch $200 each, @summerskoo, @53xy83457 and @SevenOnAStick each gave $100, @tiarawhy $75, @Iggykoop, @StaggerNight, @PssychoPie, @ZaazNG, @1DarkVoid, @Butzbo and @CaperCube each gave $50, @NickSenny $30, @MKMaffo $25, @ConnorGrail $20 and an anonymous fan donated $1,500!

The winners with the most points by the end of the event will be awarded these prizes:

1st - $1,300 + 1st place winner shirt
2nd - $900 + 2nd place winner shirt
3rd - $670 + 3rd place winner shirt
4th - $500
5th - $400
6th - $250
7th - $150
8th - $130
9th - $100
10th - $100

Each winner will also receive a copy of The Story Goes On by @ScarecrowArts on the platform of your choice (Steam/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch), and two copies of Frame Game, an upcoming game from @CaperCube and @stejkRobot on Steam (demo on newgrounds).

If you’d like to chip in to boost the Summer Animation Jams prizes, use the donation option on the Supporter page and PM me a heads up that you donated towards the Summer Animation Jams!

If you’re a donor and you’re interested in discussing future rounds, themes, and judges, shoot @BrandyBuizel a PM as well. We have a lot of ideas to work with but maybe you have something great to add.

@Cymbourine created this rad promo image for ROUND 3!

OH HELL YEAH I NEED TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS!

Time to assemble a team to make a game!

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 3! 2021-07-28 13:00:27

Definitely love the theme for Round 3! As always, if you need any help with voices, feel free to hit me up animators! :D Have fun!!!

You need a voice? I got plenty for ya! :D

BBS Signature

I am a wriggling worm hahahahahahhahahaha i can't stop laugh at night whilst I sleep hahahahaha

I always walk funny and dream funny, I eat mini brains hahahahha

I stole TomFulp's TV hahahahaha and destroyed it hahahahahaha

I always eat and drink funny hahahahahahaa

I swore to people at internet HAHAHAHAHA

I am WadeFulp now, no one has taken care of it hahahahaha

Summer jam? I'm hot hahahahaha I sleep so drunkly hahahahaha and it tickles my soul hahahahaha

I can't stop laugh for some reason.

I have mental problems lol

Nice to meet you, I'm Krunoslav. :3

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 3! 2021-07-28 13:02:28

At 7/28/21 01:00 PM, NimbusCumulus wrote: OH HELL YEAH I NEED TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS!

Just to be 100% clear, the goal for this round is to make an animation inspired by an original game from 2021 on NG, vs making a playable game.

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 3! 2021-07-28 13:05:19

At 7/28/21 12:54 PM, JCaluger wrote: Claps hands and smacks lips together
Let's freakin do this thing!

Edit: Is there a time Max or minimum?

Minimum is 15 seconds, should be added to the main post soon!

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 3! 2021-07-28 13:05:35

At 7/28/21 01:02 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 7/28/21 01:00 PM, NimbusCumulus wrote: OH HELL YEAH I NEED TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS!
Just to be 100% clear, the goal for this round is to make an animation inspired by an original game from 2021 on NG, vs making a playable game.

Ohhhhh well i'm dumb, either way I can help hahahahahahaha!

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 3! 2021-07-28 13:07:27

I like this round the most so far! If any of you folks need any music for your submissions, hit me up! All the music on my page is free to use! And if it doesn't fit, get in contact with me, and I'll write some original tunes for you! :)

I love this site :)

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 3! 2021-07-28 13:07:55

At 7/28/21 12:58 PM, Sambero wrote: that theme is cool as fuck... if someone for some reason uses Kity Builder for this i would love them forever.

Definitely one I'd consider, it's in the right vibe ^.^

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 3! 2021-07-28 13:08:41

I should ask, what’s the minimum for how long the animation should be?

It wasn’t specified in the post this time.

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 3! 2021-07-28 13:08:46

Oh boy another newgrounds prompt. Whelp if any of you talented animators need a voice, hit this fish up..!!

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 3! 2021-07-28 13:09:23

At 7/28/21 01:08 PM, QueenBoo wrote: I should ask, what’s the minimum for how long the animation should be?

It wasn’t specified in the post this time.

Just updated it with a 15 second minimum.

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 3! 2021-07-28 13:18:56

Awesome prompt, Excited to see what you all create! If you're in need of a voice actor hit me up!

If someone needs music into your movies, use mines.

P.S: Make sure to credit me and ask me before you use my audio. Do not use unlicensed ones tho. :)

iu_370919_8055719.png

Nice to meet you, I'm Krunoslav. :3

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 3! 2021-07-28 13:37:37

At 7/28/21 12:46 PM, TomFulp wrote: Game Fan Anim Jam

Game or Games... just saying it'd be rad to go all Subspace Emissary on this round!

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 3! 2021-07-28 13:38:52

Chocolate Milkiu_370922_9267773.jpg

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 3! 2021-07-28 13:43:47

Thanks for shouting out petrock rocket racing Brandy <3 I never thought it'd see the light of day again

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 3! 2021-07-28 13:52:04

This is awesome. Sunnyside vs the Eggies was my favourite game from the jam so I'll probably base it on that

d-yeah...

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 3! 2021-07-28 13:57:38

This is amazing! I love when creative worlds collide like this. Reminds me of that time NG hosted an art contest to "create a screenshot for a game that doesn't exist" and then hosted a game jam to take those screenshots and actually make them into real games! Best game jam ever.

I've been playing the Egg jam games and would love to see fan movies made for any of them!

If you'll excuse my shameless self promotion, we made a horror game where alien monster eggs hatch when they are exposed to your flash light, forcing you to try and navigate in the dark to stay safe (or light it all up and take the risk!) It's got a lot of fun surprises if that inspires anyone

iu_370940_2532394.gif

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 3! 2021-07-28 14:00:24

At 7/28/21 01:57 PM, OmarShehata wrote: This is amazing! I love when creative worlds collide like this. Reminds me of that time NG hosted an art contest to "create a screenshot for a game that doesn't exist" and then hosted a game jam to take those screenshots and actually make them into real games! Best game jam ever.

I've been playing the Egg jam games and would love to see fan movies made for any of them!

If you'll excuse my shameless self promotion, we made a horror game where alien monster eggs hatch when they are exposed to your flash light, forcing you to try and navigate in the dark to stay safe (or light it all up and take the risk!) It's got a lot of fun surprises if that inspires anyone

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/806998

Nah promote away!

I'd love to see a game jam like the screenshot one again some day, two-parters are awesome!!

iu_370953_9449967.jpg

even though I am not going to participate I am sure it will be very great I wish you the best

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 3! 2021-07-28 14:38:37

Will it be video games?

I'm excited. UwU

thebulbmin

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 3! 2021-07-28 14:45:14

Oh, quick question, are you able to do a cartoon for a game you've worked on before?