00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MidnightsCalm just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

CTSG Collab: Anniversary Edition

31,772 Views | 268 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hello my fellow animators, as you may already know; Newgrounds will be turning 20 years old by 6 July 2015! To celebrate this special moment, I've taken it upon myself to revive the CTSG Collab. This "Continue The Song Game" took root in the early days of 2008, when a bunch of musicians came together to make the first CTSG. After its grand success, CTSG2 was the next move. Eventually the popularity of this project jumped over to the flash forums, where the first song was made into a flash collab. CTSG3 was definitely the best song of its kind, yet signified the sad end of this great era. No other collabs were made in 6 years.

Until now!

===

Newgrounds musicians have worked very hard to bring you CTSG: Anniversary Edition. The rules were altered for this special occasion, as it wasn't a "do whatever you feel like" thing anymore. In fact, music genres were carefully picked beforehand, to best represent the history of this website. Likewise, the animation will be a visual representation of the website's history!

The collab offers room for 25 different animators. While some parts are longer than others, the average should approximately be about 15 seconds long. After chosing your part, you can pretty much animate whatever you want to, so long as you provide a bunch of designated references from the description! Last but not least; the animation you make should transfer into the next animation. Simply fading out into a white screen may suffice, but you can make this as hard as you could possibly want.

- Framerate: 24 Fps
- Dimensions: 720 x 480
- Background: White
- Deadline: June 21

===

Rules:

- Animate for the full duration of the song. Not any more, and not any less.
- No sound effects.
- Don't bother submitting stick figures, sprites or lazy content in general.
- Please do not parodize anything that has no direct relation to Newgrounds.
- Adult content will not be allowed.

===

In case you want to join, pick your favorite part from the list below.

Dibs on #12!

BBS Signature

[ Download ] - Open - [ 01. Oldschool Beat (1995 - 1996) ]
A 17 year old Tom Fulp creates a website: Newground Remix (X). Popular features of the website involve killing celebrities (X) and clubbing seals (X).

[ Download ] - Open - [ 02. Trip-Hop (1997) ]
Tom made a second Newground website to host his content. It was called "Newground Atomix". Atomix featured Cat Dynamics (X) and Beep Me Jesus (X).

[ Download ] - Open - [ 03. Silly Music (1998) ]
Tom didn't bother with both Newground websites for a while, and decided to work on Telebubby Funland (X) instead. The website became surprisingly popular. When Inside Edition contacted him, he decided to buy a proper domain name: Newgrounds. They never called him back, unfortunately.

[ Download ] - Open - [ 04. Videogame Action Music (1998 - 1999) ]
With the website came a slogan: "The Problems of the Future, Today!" Tom made Pico's School (X) this year. He also worked on UFA (X) and Samurai Asshole (X).

[ Download ] - Open - [ 05. Spooky Cinematic Music (1999) ]
Tom's mailbox overflowed with mail from lawyers threatening him with legal claims. While Newgrounds grew increasingly popular, its servers had to expand almost monthly. Tom faced financial issues when his ad companies dropped Newgrounds for its controversial content. Eventually, Troma was willing to host Newgrounds, at the small cost of Tom's eyeballs (X). If we could get a shot of Tom's eyes being pulled out of his sockets by the Toxic Avenger, that'd be great!

[ Download ] - Open - [ 06. Turbulent Classic Music (2000) ]
Newgrounds introduced the automated portal, along with a leveling system for the users. Also, a forum had been made, which Wade would then moderate. The users were armed, and the infamous tank logo made its first appearance too. You could say Newgrounds had become a warzone. P-Bot was blamming flashes, while Wadolf was out there banning users. Scrotum The Dog (X) was there too.

[ Download ] - Open - [ 07. Alternative Metal (2001) ]
This year was full of action-packed animations. Think epic Xiao Xiao battles (X), Joe Zombie (X), and Osama Bin Laden (X) spoofs. Amidst all this chaos there's Bluebaby's flash games (X), Beebo (X), and of course the one video (X) that signified the beginning of the Clock Crew (X), and made StrawberryClock the one and only king of the Flash Portal. Ending this with a red B on a white screen is an absolute necessity.

[ Download ] - Open - [ 08. Sensual R&B (2002) ]
Newgrounds used to run a lot of adult ads as a last-resort strategy. Also, the flash portal was flooding with hentai dating sims, which further tainted the image of Newgrounds. I imagine it would be nice to have a lot of Ecchi shots going on here. It's probably best if the intro starts with a white screen, and then fades in.

[ Download ] - Open - [ 09. Progressive House (2002) ]
With the sexy imagery of the last sequence abruptly coming to a halt, you hear a whistle being blown. This part of the audio signifies the option to report flashes with malicious content (X). This year's popular content features Alien Hominid (X), Chainsaw The Children (X), Krinkel's Madness (X), Skullkid (X), Legendary Frog's Kerrigan (X) and Arfenhouse (X).

[ Download ] - Open - [ 10. Industrial (2003) ]
With P-Bot already on NG, A-Bot was first introduced when Newgrounds launched the audio portal. This was an era of robots! Also, the New York servers were moved to Philedelphia. It would be pretty cool if A-Bot could transform into a car, which Tom would then drive in on his way to New York. Transformers much? Behemoth was formed as well. That's definitely worth noting.

[ Download ] - Open - [ 11. Pop-Punk (2003) ]
Original animations that became popular during this year include Arfenhouse (X), Neurotically Yours (X), Retarted Animal Babies (X), Weebl and Bob (X), Lock Legion (X) and You Are A Fucking Moron (X). Also, Knox Klaymation, but I guess you could skip that.

[ Download ] - Open - [ 12. Psychedelic Electronic Music (2004) ]
It would be nice to open with a shot of the Punk-O-Matic (X) band, as the Pop-Punk song finishes playing. Magical Trevor (X), Numa Numa (X) and dad from Dad's Home (X) overtake the stage. Ideally this plays off in the park, where characters from CCC City (X) and There She Is! (X) could easily make an appearance. The location would be ideal enough for Claveman (X) and Brackenwood (X) characters to join in as well. Luis came up with "Time Trials" this year. Maybe it's written on a hotdog stand or whatever?

BBS Signature

[ Download ] - Open - [ 13. Suspenseful Big Beat (2004) ]
A lot of content from this period was matrix-inspired. It would be cool if this animation could be too! Pico should definitely make an appearance. Pico's Unloaded (X), Perfect Murder (X), and Zombies DoD (X) were definitely hit animations! There's also Paladin (X), Fallen Angel (X) and Burnt Face Man (X). Creepy characters involve Salad Fingers (X), Mr. Happy Face (X), the characters from Smile (X) and and RomeoJR's Sick Animation (X). Let's not forget about the release of Alien Hominid (X) either!

[ Download ] - Open - [ 14. Romantic Balad (2005) ]
Tom was looking for a proper Newgrounds office (X) and eventually found the perfect place (X). Who could ever forget Stamper, getting caught making sweet sweet love to the rubble (X)? Tom also proposed to marry April, and she said yes! Popular projects include Merry Melony (X), Charlie The Unicorn (X), Jerry Jackson (X), Blockhead (X) and of course Dad 'n Me (X).

[ Download ] - Open - [ 15. Gangster Hiphop (2006) ]
Johnny Utah improved the original tank logo (X). It is only fitting that his Tankmen (X) series were a huge success. The website slogan also got changed to "Everything, By Everyone". Luis organized the first of many Sketchbook Tours (X), which is an artbook comprised of pieces that were sent in by mail, made by Newgrounds users from all over the world. The NG Store opened (X), and Pico Day (X) became an official thing this year. Other popular animations include Lazymuffin's Nameless (X), Fancy Pants Adventures (X) and Animator vs Animation (X).

[ Download ] - Open - [ 16. Barogue (2007) ]
This year was pretty much the "Golden Age" for Newgrounds. The entire website got a sweet new make-over, attracting many new users. Blogposts and forum emoticons were a cool new thing to have! Agnry Faic (X) was more popular than ever before. Business was doing good! 2007 featured some astonishing animations, including Story Of Khale (X), Jerry (X), Aladdin 3150 (X), The Composer (X) and Metropolis Circuit (X). Newgrounds celebrated their first ever Tank Awards (X), and Madness Day (X) became a thing. It was the year of Luis, as NG celebrated Luis Day (X), and gave him the "User Of The Year" award. SouljaBoy (X) also got pretty big in the music industry. Other great animations included What Is Love (X), Messed Up Bible Stories (X) and the "My Newgrounds" trend (X). Oh, and did I mention Tom and April got married this year? Because they did!

[ Download ] - Open - [ 17. Bouncy Trance (2008) ]
Castle Crashers made its first appearance on Xbox Live Arcade! Popular stuff from this time include Chuck's New Tux (X), Journey Of Reemus (X), Angry Dog (X), Cat Face (X), Bambee (X), Walk In The Woods (X), The Greatest Idea Ever(X), These Pancakes Are Tiny (X) and Meatboy (X).

[ Download ] - Open - [ 18. Suspenseful Cinematic Music (2009) ]
This year was either great for videogames, or awful for animation. With the coming of NG Medals in 2009, it is no wonder so many videogames were popular though! Casual games involved A Small Favor (X), William And Sly (X), Gretel and Hansel (X), Crush The Castle (X) and This Is The only level (X). Tarboy (X), and Get On My Horse (X) were popular animations at the time. I guess a reference should be made to the launch of the art portal. Referring to the London Meet (X) (X) is optional I suppose.

BBS Signature

[ Download ] - Open - [ 19. Break Core (2009) ]
But 2009 had a lot of action games as well! There was Portal Defenders (X), Toss The Turtle (X), Time Fcuk (X), Ching Chong Beautiful (X), Spewer (X) and Miami Shark (X). Girlchan In Paradise (X) was a very popular animation series at the time. Maybe a reference should be made to the popular Rig Face (X) as well. Rig became an instant hero (X) when he prevented sirtom93 from setting his school ablaze (X).

[ Download ] - Open - [ 20. Casual RPG Battle Music (2010) ]
This was a year with fun RPG games like Epic Battle Fantasy (X) and The Room Tribute (X). But it also involved comedy, like Leo & Satan (X), Jazza's Larry (X), Happy Wheels (X), and Wacky Game Jokes 4 Kids (X). Super Meatboy launched on XBLA (X) as well. This year we were introduced to the first-ever Robot Day (X), and an official Pico Day party (X) was thrown at the NGHQ for the first time! (2010)

[ Download ] - Open - [ 21. Dubstep With Lyrics (2011) ]
TOFA (now known as NATA) (X) made its debut on Newgrounds. Fernando The Manwhore (X) became a popular icon this year, and Team Meat launched The Binding Of Isaac (X) on Steam. Visually, I imagine Kinetic Typography would be the perfect way to transition between Dot Dot Dot (X, TOFA's tournament ladders, and Binding Of Isaac's world map. That is actually the reason why the song has lyrics to begin with.

[ Download ] - Open - [ 22. Liquid Drum&Bass (2012) ]
This part should definitely refer to Lucky Day Forever (X), ZTV News (X), Prosnorkulus (X), Starbarians (X), Cop Dog (X) and Abobo's Big Adventure (X). Newgrounds also released Groundcats (X) for the iOS.

[ Download ] - Open - [ 23. BattleBlock Theater Inspired Music (2013) ]
Lots of projects this year would befit a sense of adventure: The launch of Battleblock Theatre (X), Cathode Raybots (X), The Reward (X), Jaltoid (X), Dr. Bees (X), Raw Latex (X), Tombstone Jumping Devil (X), and With Animation You can! (X)

[ Download ] - Open - [ 24. Dark Ambient (2013) ]
Somewhat serious or even ominous themes this year include the No Evil (X) series by Warlord-Of-Noodles, BLISS (X), Spacefader's Gamer (X), The Honey Plot (X), Little Merry Ego (X), Breadheads (X) and the Pixel Nightmare (X) series.

[ Download ] - Open - [ 25. Jazz (2014) ]
The NG community has matured like a rather good whiskey. Most popular animations this year were based on corporate greed. Others were generally relatable slice-of-life kind of things. Examples include NWAR (X), Battleship Cathy (X), Technical Dave (X), Trust & Estates (X), There's A Man In The Woods (X), Voicemail (X), What About A Man? (X), Mad Ben (X) and Sweetest (X). Gary Brolsma even came back for a 10-year Numa Reunion (X)! I feel Bear And Bunny Boo (X) should get a mention as well, and perhaps The Blind Swordsman (X) as well.

BBS Signature

Response to CTSG Collab: Anniversary Edition 2015-04-10 14:45:43

This is super epic o.O

What is the deadline for animations? I'm really interested in helping out but I wanna make sure I'm not cutting it close on my other stuff. I'm looking for a late May/June project so this could be awesome. Mostly interested in #5, with #6 as a backup if there was any conflict of interest.

(>'-')>

Response to CTSG Collab: Anniversary Edition 2015-04-10 15:29:11

At 4/10/15 02:45 PM, Zhon wrote: lel

Derp, just re-read the post and saw the deadline. I'm in for #5 if there are no objections. Any idea where I can find specific info about his legal worries?

Also, before the thread gets too far along, it could be useful to have something like a google docs spreadsheet or document to keep track of who has what part taken - a lot easier than sifting through lots o' posts since we can't edit old ones.

(>'-')>

At 4/10/15 03:29 PM, Zhon wrote: Derp, just re-read the post and saw the deadline. I'm in for #5 if there are no objections. Any idea where I can find specific info about his legal worries?

Also, before the thread gets too far along, it could be useful to have something like a google docs spreadsheet or document to keep track of who has what part taken - a lot easier than sifting through lots o' posts since we can't edit old ones.

That's not a bad idea Zhon! I made a spreadsheet over here. As for those legal claims, Tom made a page for it years ago. It's actually on some forgotten part of Newgrounds somewhere.

===

Shoutout time :)

NG ANIMATORS WHO'VE SHOWN INTEREST IN AN ANNIVERSARY EVENT: @artistunknown, @chris-the-stick2, @cjbouchermedia, @deathink, @feircedeity64, @ForNoReason, @HipnikDragomir, @M-Abrantes, @megacharlie159, @MortalPoet, @NGComicd, @Oh-Sama, @SavvyOverDog, @ShadyDingo, @shaeguy, @ShireSpeare, @snickity, @TheMAM, @tomutwit, @wallpaperman, @Whirlguy, @WhiteLightning, @WooleyWorld, @Zerodecoole
FORMER CTSG ANIMATORS:
@Whirlguy, @Keveta2, @Silly-Stungun-Millie, @WritersBlock, @BritishMoose, @Catoblepas, @Lochie, @xTOXICxEMPIRE, @Quarl, @BlazingGamer

BBS Signature

Response to CTSG Collab: Anniversary Edition 2015-04-11 08:05:50

#2 sounds pretty interesting.

I'll try my best to make something Awesome, what exactly counts as lazy content?
Just to be sure that I don't make something boring by accident heheheh

Response to CTSG Collab: Anniversary Edition 2015-04-11 09:00:54

#8 !

Now to google "ecchi"

BBS Signature

Response to CTSG Collab: Anniversary Edition 2015-04-11 10:28:51

@Whirlguy The audio on #12 is probably my favourite. Write me down on #6. Would probably also do #7 if no one else wants it.

Is there room do some of our own interpretation. I'm asking because sometimes the music for instance is fast paced and the subjects of that particular year aren't necessarily action oriented. I'd like to try and match them accordingly.

Also is it an idea to keep in mind where the transition of the previous animators and the next animators part most probably take place (ie in the sky, on the ground). That way you can maybe intertwine the parts as opposed to just fading the screen to white/black.

At 4/10/15 01:29 PM, Whirlguy wrote: - Background: White

So no backgrounds?

Response to CTSG Collab: Anniversary Edition 2015-04-11 11:44:40

wait, what are we doing exactly? are we animating based off of music?

BBS Signature

Response to CTSG Collab: Anniversary Edition 2015-04-11 13:41:45

At 4/11/15 10:28 AM, ShireSpeare wrote: So no backgrounds?

Yeah, tell us more about this 'no background' thing, please.

Response to CTSG Collab: Anniversary Edition 2015-04-11 15:01:09

It literally means a blank, white background.

At 4/11/15 01:41 PM, M-Abrantes wrote:
At 4/11/15 10:28 AM, ShireSpeare wrote: So no backgrounds?
Yeah, tell us more about this 'no background' thing, please.

At 4/11/15 08:05 AM, Zerodecoole wrote: I'll try my best to make something Awesome, what exactly counts as lazy content?
Just to be sure that I don't make something boring by accident heheheh

Oh, right. I know I just called you here from the shoutout post, but I'd like to see what you can do first. I've seen the art on your profile, and well... It has to be better than that. Do you have any flash movies?

At 4/11/15 09:00 AM, Catoblepas wrote: #8 !
Now to google "ecchi"

For lack of a better word, heh. It basically means you do a lot of sexual innuendo, without showing actual genitalia. Black Chick In Finland hits the nail on its head really.

At 4/11/15 10:28 AM, ShireSpeare wrote: Is there room do some of our own interpretation. I'm asking because sometimes the music for instance is fast paced and the subjects of that particular year aren't necessarily action oriented. I'd like to try and match them accordingly.

The CTSG project is subject to people's own interpretation. So yeah, go ahead! Which part would you rather do, #6 or #7?

At 4/11/15 11:44 AM, megacharlie159 wrote: wait, what are we doing exactly? are we animating based off of music?

That's right! The song was made to be tell the history of Newgrounds in form of music. We're animating to the song now that it's finished. Wanna join?

At 4/11/15 01:41 PM, M-Abrantes wrote: Yeah, tell us more about this 'no background' thing, please.

I simply refered to the stage background. You know, the one in the document properties? So yeah, please draw backgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to CTSG Collab: Anniversary Edition 2015-04-11 20:16:16

Ok! what part should I do?

At 4/11/15 11:44 AM, megacharlie159 wrote: wait, what are we doing exactly? are we animating based off of music?
That's right! The song was made to be tell the history of Newgrounds in form of music. We're animating to the song now that it's finished. Wanna join?

BBS Signature

At 4/11/15 08:16 PM, megacharlie159 wrote: Ok! what part should I do?

This spreadsheet shows you which parts are still available. Just pick a part that most suits you :)

BBS Signature

Response to CTSG Collab: Anniversary Edition 2015-04-11 21:34:34

I thin Bouncy Trance would be good! So I would animate the Castle Crashers and popular flashes of the time? could I hide my character once or twice in it?

At 4/11/15 08:49 PM, Whirlguy wrote:
At 4/11/15 08:16 PM, megacharlie159 wrote: Ok! what part should I do?
This spreadsheet shows you which parts are still available. Just pick a part that most suits you :)

BBS Signature

Response to CTSG Collab: Anniversary Edition 2015-04-11 21:49:53

Niiiiiceeeeeeeeeee. Let's do this

(>'-')>

Response to CTSG Collab: Anniversary Edition 2015-04-11 21:55:28

*Think lol

At 4/11/15 09:34 PM, megacharlie159 wrote: I thin Bouncy Trance would be good! So I would animate the Castle Crashers and popular flashes of the time? could I hide my character once or twice in it?

BBS Signature

Response to CTSG Collab: Anniversary Edition 2015-04-12 04:55:16

At 4/11/15 07:51 PM, Whirlguy wrote: The CTSG project is subject to people's own interpretation. So yeah, go ahead! Which part would you rather do, #6 or #7?

Cool. Everything clear. I'll take #6.

Response to CTSG Collab: Anniversary Edition 2015-04-12 09:05:49

At 4/11/15 09:34 PM, megacharlie159 wrote: I think Bouncy Trance would be good! So I would animate the Castle Crashers and popular flashes of the time? could I hide my character once or twice in it?

Number #17 it is! Yep, that's pretty much it! You can be as creative as you want, putting them in all sorts of circumstances. As for your own characters, please leave them out of your animation. They don't belong in the year 2008.

At 4/11/15 09:49 PM, Zhon wrote: Niiiiiceeeeeeeeeee. Let's do this

Awesomeness :D

At 4/12/15 04:55 AM, ShireSpeare wrote: Cool. Everything clear. I'll take #6.

You got it! :)

BBS Signature

Response to CTSG Collab: Anniversary Edition 2015-04-12 14:15:12

i would love to animate #4 as this ones my music part i had something in mind already :D also can i use characters such as alien hominid or do i have to stick with the time? picos school etc. ?

Response to CTSG Collab: Anniversary Edition 2015-04-12 17:16:24

At 4/12/15 02:15 PM, ShoZ wrote: i would love to animate #4 as this ones my music part i had something in mind already :D also can i use characters such as alien hominid or do i have to stick with the time? picos school etc. ?

Hey ShoZ, good to have you on board! To answer your question; you should stick with characters from your time period. Alien Hominid was released about 3 years later, so he should not make an appearance.

BBS Signature

Response to CTSG Collab: Anniversary Edition 2015-04-12 17:20:27

Hey ShoZ, good to have you on board! To answer your question; you should stick with characters from your time period. Alien Hominid was released about 3 years later, so he should not make an appearance.

alright! count me in for #4 then pls :)

Response to CTSG Collab: Anniversary Edition 2015-04-13 08:01:50

By the way, should we ask Tom to give us a mention or something in a post, so we'd get more animators? If people find this too late, they risk missing their deadlines and rushing and you know how it goes in a big project like this, with such a time-consuming thing as animation I don't know.

BBS Signature

Response to CTSG Collab: Anniversary Edition 2015-04-13 08:36:27

At 4/12/15 05:20 PM, ShoZ wrote: alright! count me in for #4 then pls :)

Done!

At 4/13/15 08:01 AM, Catoblepas wrote: By the way, should we ask Tom to give us a mention or something in a post, so we'd get more animators?

You're right! I just messaged Tom about it.

BBS Signature

So you mean fade in in the starting and fade out in the end of animation !

Count me in!
I choose the romantic ballad!

Edit : I am planning to make a boy proposing a girl , And as the girl accepts the propose the boy would get faint !

Being a game maker is My ambition And 'tis the starting !!!!!!

Games|Animation|Music|Art

BBS Signature

At 4/13/15 09:46 AM, DIWAKAR wrote: So you mean fade in in the starting and fade out in the end of animation !

Count me in!
I choose the romantic ballad!

Edit : I am planning to make a boy proposing a girl , And as the girl accepts the propose the boy would get faint !

That part is about Tom and April, so make it about them. Also, finding the perfect Newgrounds office was an important piece of history, so it would be really cool if you made a reference to that. Please use some of the other references for #14 as well.

BBS Signature

Response to CTSG Collab: Anniversary Edition 2015-04-13 16:52:17

Really dig this idea! I'd love to be a part of it. Im thinking #11...

BBS Signature

Response to CTSG Collab: Anniversary Edition 2015-04-13 22:26:33

Do multiple movies considered in one part like 3 submissions for #11 as a total of 45secs? What if 3 users submitted on one part at the same day?