00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

PetrifiedPancake just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Anti-Depressants

2,115 Views | 25 Replies

Anti-Depressants 2014-10-19 01:08:40

I've been considering getting anti-depressants for the past couple of weeks, and I was wondering what people who take them have to say about them.

Why/when did you decide to get them? How did they affect you?

Before anyone asks, I'm not just self-diagnosing myself with depression, my counselor suggested I take anti-depressants months ago but I never wanted to

Response to Anti-Depressants 2014-10-19 01:14:31

if you want to take an anti-depresseant you should also be prepared to want the following things:

no sexual desire, no sexual ability, changes in weight and appetite, an inability to feel emotion, etc.

also if you attempt to stop taking it you will likely experience several hours of psychosis

Response to Anti-Depressants 2014-10-19 01:42:56

Happy pills doesn't exist.

STEAM

"What I would and wouldn't do with your tight twink body is none of their business. But seriously, I would fucking destroy you." - Xenomit

BBS Signature

Response to Anti-Depressants 2014-10-19 01:53:57 (edited 2014-10-19 01:55:04)

Oh gosh, I was literally JUST thinking about you.

I myself have never taken antidepressants but I really haven't heard many good things about them. When the parents of my first partner forced us to break things off, she spiraled into a depression and was put on Prozac. From what she told me afterward it sounded as if they didn't really work, and they came with the side effect of completely killing her sex drive.

Also, if you're only lukewarm on the idea, consider that people have been fine without antidepressants for thousands of years.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Anti-Depressants 2014-10-19 02:02:05

Not all anti depressants will work for everyone, it may take a combination of antidepressants for you and you'll most likely identify the correct one and its effects only after many weeks. They have side effects, though. So...YMMV?

At 10/19/14 01:19 AM, FurryGod wrote: There's no hard science that supports any of that, they're just placebos if anything.

If you want to cure your depression I suggest taking up a hobby.

Um, no.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Anti-Depressants 2014-10-19 02:11:18

BBS Signature

Response to Anti-Depressants 2014-10-19 03:04:54

My experience with "anti-depressants" consisted of taking these herb pill things which basically just acted like tranquilizers, making me drowsy but doing nothing actually beneficial, not even helping my sleep at all. So basically it just made the time I did have to try and feel good less good since I was drowsy constantly.

So either don't get prescribed shit like those ones and get some that actually work, or don't get any if they don't make them decent.

If they did make some good ones I could take which did help without just tranquilizing I would consider having.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Anti-Depressants 2014-10-19 06:25:01 (edited 2014-10-19 06:37:26)

Go for it. Worst case scenario they don't work plus what the others have said. I dunno about sexual performance tho. If it's harder to cum it just means you'll last longer. You could try smoking weed occasionally too. Magic mushrooms are also fucking amazing and probably the best anti-depressant in existence. I've heard DMT and MDMA is good for depression too. LSD didn't do much for me. You should only trip once a fortnight tho.

Response to Anti-Depressants 2014-10-19 12:45:19

At 10/19/14 01:42 AM, koopahermit wrote: Happy pills doesn't exist.

You aren't taking the right ones then.

BBS Signature

Response to Anti-Depressants 2014-10-19 12:50:05

At 10/19/14 01:14 AM, beakerboy wrote:
no sexual desire, no sexual ability, changes in weight and appetite, an inability to feel emotion, etc.

hey I didn't even know I was on anti-depressants

Response to Anti-Depressants 2014-10-19 12:53:14

Winners don't use drugs.

Response to Anti-Depressants 2014-10-19 13:25:42

At 10/19/14 01:16 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: I took 187.5mg of Venlafaxine every day for over a year
the side effects undid any improvement that the medicine caused

basically anti-depressants dehydrate you in the most inconvenient ways. They cause you to sweat twice as much as you normally would. In hot weather you will see water just pouring out of your body.
also they cause massive constipation. It became normal for me to go at least 10 days before shitting. My record was 17 days.
what this means is that at any given moment you are carrying around over a week's worth of shit inside you. It is exhausting

Gross. While I haven't taken antidepressants in ages, I didn't really use them enough to understand the side effects or positives of it. How can you go 10 days without shitting though? It's very rare for me to go a whole day without shitting.

Response to Anti-Depressants 2014-10-19 13:26:03

I could have sworn that I posted in a thread like this with the exact same title, letter for letter, at one point. I was right. Refer to my old post there, though I'll add some little bits and pieces.

I was put on Lexapro largely by force. I knew a great deal about the other options that existed but I had a stupid ass doctor that just stood his ground and refused to listen to me. I was also in a situation where I was hospitalized against my will, so I couldn't just leave whenever I wanted. Typical psychiatrist--I could go on and on about how much I hate psychiatry in general, but you probably don't care. Obviously, I'm not taking Lexapro again--it (and later Zonegran, which I did not take for depression) fucked me up in a lot of ways and it hurts to think about that period of time. I'm now on Keppra and Lamictal, although those are anticonvulsants. Lamictal is often used by psychiatrists to treat Bipolar though.

You shouldn't take any antidepressants, but if you must (and it's shocking that no one mentioned this by now), take Wellbutrin/Zyban (bupropion). It's an atypical antidepressant unlike all of the SSRIs, MAOIs, TCAs and TeCAs out there which largely put you at higher risk for not only sexual dysfunction but weight gain as well. Wellbutrin doesn't do either. Normally it leaves your sex drive alone or even increases it.

If you think you're depressed now, the realization that you're medication-dependent will probably hit you one day and make you even more depressed. So can the side effects. Many may also make you feel more suicidal, which defeats the whole point of taking them in the first place.

It's your choice if you want to go towards the antidepressant route, but you have to know what you're getting into, making sure that the benefits outweigh the risks. Wellbutrin would be a good first-line drug, and anything else should only be considered if and only if it just doesn't work.

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011 | NYC Meet 2013

BBS Signature

Response to Anti-Depressants 2014-10-19 13:30:36

They don't really help it just makes you more tired through out.

Response to Anti-Depressants 2014-10-19 13:46:34

I don't know what to tell you, man. There are people who say they helped turn their life around and others who say they not only don't work, but turn you into a drooling zombie. Personally, I didn't find much success with them, but I am not you, and I think that you shouldn't discount the fact that it has worked for some.

BBS Signature

Response to Anti-Depressants 2014-10-19 14:35:25

Depressants are just another tactic to make money of people with problems like hair growth drugs .

Many people taking these commit suicide proving that it dosen't magically solve your life issues .

Response to Anti-Depressants 2014-10-19 15:20:34

I got prescribed anti-depressants, and have been taking them for a few months now. All I can really say is that from my perspective they make me drowsy, although my friends and such say they make me a bit more happy, or at least less anxious looking, when they're around me. <3

Ecchi first, ask questions never.

BBS Signature

Response to Anti-Depressants 2014-10-19 18:01:55 (edited 2014-10-19 18:02:29)

At 10/19/14 03:25 PM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 10/19/14 02:35 PM, DjGubkafish wrote: Depressants are just another tactic to make money of people with problems like hair growth drugs .
depressants and anti-depressants are different things

Many people taking these commit suicide proving that it dosen't magically solve your life issues .
show me one reputable organisation claiming that anti-depressants magically solve problems

I have a family member who was on anti-deps for 3 years and he was only 16 .

They don't do a fucken thing . Yet doctors will prescribe them to kids anyway (because they solve emotional problems apparently) .He tried to kill himself while on them and he still depressed as fuck . ( maybe because he thinks that he has to take pills to be normal )

Instead of being smart ass you can help people by not defending money hungry corporation willing to take any advantage over kids having self-esteem issues .

Response to Anti-Depressants 2014-10-19 18:08:25

i was taking them for a while and they honestly made me less sad
SSRIs are good for anxiety too, you find yourself more able to dismiss your worries
The only thing is that they kill your sex drive and make it hard to cum

Response to Anti-Depressants 2014-10-19 18:47:10

At 10/19/14 06:35 PM, WahyaRanger wrote: This thread is actually doing like the exact opposite of its intentions.

This is Newgrounds, we're pro-depression.

"Now I'm a private eye-cum-negotiator..."

BBS Signature

Response to Anti-Depressants 2014-10-20 01:16:27

So I haven't read the whole thread in detail, but I'd just add that I live in an extremely rough area with plenty of people on antidepressants, my last ex girlfriend was on Fluvoxamine, and my neighbor just commenced antidepressant treatment about three months ago after having frequent ambulance calls to stop him killing himself.

In the case of my ex, she was on them when I met her, but she freely admitted they didn't do shit to help her, and every time she missed a dosage or tried to quit, she got headaches, bad vertigo and couldn't handle bright light.

My neighbor is on Seroquil, and he felt much better for about two weeks.
After that, in the space of like, 4 days, he was straight back to normal, ambulance calls every couple of weeks and everything.

Around these parts other drugs are very easy to find, and the common opinion which I'd agree with is that weed is really the only effective anti-depressant. It could make you paranoid, but you wont get vertigo for quitting ;)

That said I believe that drugs only alter the symptoms of your depression. The root thought processes that cause that emotional state aren't removed by the drug, and as such even if they work, your sanity is pretty much an illusion maintained by a drug addiction.

Say what you want, but I can't accept that in anything but the most extreme cases.

If you really want to fix depression or anxiety and such, you should try therapy. Not all therapists are in the same league, but from what I've seen it's far more effective.

Response to Anti-Depressants 2014-10-20 09:22:33

Why have antidepressants when you can shove a wire to your head and electrocute your brain?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcranial_direct-current_stimulation
http://www.fisherwallace.com/

BBS Signature

Response to Anti-Depressants 2014-12-23 17:05:52

I just got back on my Citalopram This month a week ago while the differences arn't to great at the moment I have noticed that i've grown less bored though I sort of have involuntary spasms at times and I have noticed interests picking back up after I stopped taking it 4 months ago.

Response to Anti-Depressants 2014-12-23 18:38:05

Wiid and lickher are my anti psychotics and they work just fine, but don't be like me

Are you not Entertained ?!?

BBS Signature

Response to Anti-Depressants 2014-12-23 19:45:10

Marijuana: The Natural Anti-Depressant

BBS Signature

Response to Anti-Depressants 2014-12-23 19:54:58

I don't trust those things, one bit.