00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

snoozerzz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Top 10 Most Depressing Bbs Moments!

36,387 Views | 352 Replies

Response to Top 10 Most Depressing Bbs Moments! 2014-09-24 11:15:57

Updated List! To help me organize them better, and better define where which thread is ranking, they will be broken up by the number of votes each thread has received.

+7 Vote Tier
Livecorpse In Memorium (+7)
Insanctuary's First Thread (+7)

+6 Vote Tier
GoryBlizzard's Public Bathroom Incident (+6)
Notable User Absence, Deletion or Death (+6)
The Sirtom93 Incident (+6)

+5 Vote Tier
NG Chat's Death (+5)
The Dovahkiin1994 Saga (+5)
Psycho Baiting a Kid to Delete System32 (+5)
Tom's Reaction to the Sandy Hook Game (+5)

+4 Vote Tier
1st Annual NG User Icon Battle (+4)

+3 Vote Tier
The Boston Bombing Thread (+3)
theKlown and The Medicine Ball (+3)
Gory Blizzard's Deleted Nudes (+3)
The Wade's Wife Censorship Scandal (+3)

+2 Vote Tier
NG Store Closing (+2)
Persistent 'NG is Dying' Threads (+2)
The Penicorn Thread (+2)
Death of Animated Signatures (+2)
Jeff's Untimely and Tragic Disappearance (+2)
The "My Sister is a Tumblr Feminist" Flamewar (Thread Deleted) (+2)
"Enough is Enough!!!" Review Deletion Rant (+2)
Wriggle's Totally True Bus Girl Story (+2)
NaziNinja's Kim Possible Hentai Derailment (+2)
The 30 Year Trial Run (+2)

====Individuals====

The Newton Connecticut Shooting Thread
The Christopher Dorner Thread
NG Alcoholics Anonymous Club
The Lack of Good Photoshop Threads
Annual BBS Awards Threads
Threads Dedicated to Addressing Trolls (Example Links needed)
illwillpress Posting
Exudaz' Call to Arms Against a SJW and her Cross-Dressing Boy
"Adolf Hitler, Around the World in 80 Days" Flagged Rant
FatBadger's "People abusing their power" Thread
"I Met Tom Fucking Fulp!" and the Hazing of Danny Jay

====Deadpool====

When Liljim stopped smoking.
All Depression Threads... (I think that's too vague to count...)
The Beast Awakens (Birth of Dick Neck)
"Why is there a cock in the top left corner"
The Decline of Clock Day
The Lament of DalexJ1337's Postings

================

Modifications include linking The Dovahkiin1994 Saga to a single post which contains all six threads instead of linking each and every individual one.

Users Leaving, Missing, Deletion, or Death has been renamed. The word "Notable" being subjective, of course...even if it was a user that was your friend who only had 12 posts, they could be notable to you.

Somehow, linking to the web archive for deleted or post-missing threads is causing HTML errors. I'll try to fix the problem later.

If threads that have a link provided make deadpool then that thread becomes unlinked. By my own vote, I'm moving illwillpress Posting and Threads Dedicated to Addressing Trolls to deadpool.

A reminder that threads voted into deadpool can be voted back out of it for the time being.

================

So heres how I'm thinking this could play out. We'll have a Top 10 when the top ten most voted entries EACH have no less than 10 votes. That means 10th place will have 10+ votes. That +10 eschelon will be considered Ranking while the other threads beneath it will still be called a List, but once we have our 10, deadpool gets cleared out. Voting can continue at that point, but it'll set the bar.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Most Depressing Bbs Moments! 2014-09-24 11:18:40

Forgot to move those two into deadpool, and also...THIS is the post I was going to link to that contained all of the Dovahkiin1994 chapters.

I'm learning as I go. That list is gonna get cleaner the more I move along.

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Most Depressing Bbs Moments! 2014-09-24 11:53:45

Wait when did the store become kill?
I no longer have my stickers, but my shirt still fits and I've been reppin NG at least once a month for years now.

The SirTom93 incident makes me crack up every time.

|Foxes Club| |I VOICE ACT.|

PSN ID: jake-thesnake_ng XBL: SFC Fox Paw

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Most Depressing Bbs Moments! 2014-09-24 13:50:17

At 9/16/14 08:29 AM, Phobotech wrote: Oh whoops. I fucked it up! The dovahkiin1994 saga is actually a six-parter, not a quadrilogy.

Sometimes I wonder what the "1994" in his username could mean. Cause the likiness of him being born in '94 and therefore being 20 are slim to almost completely non-existent.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Most Depressing Bbs Moments! 2014-09-24 13:57:13

At 9/24/14 01:50 PM, Viper wrote:
Sometimes I wonder what the "1994" in his username could mean. Cause the likiness of him being born in '94 and therefore being 20 are slim to almost completely non-existent.

I assumed right from the get-go that was his birth-year. I think it's plausible.

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Most Depressing Bbs Moments! 2014-09-24 14:04:10

This is a test.

Bush Game

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Most Depressing Bbs Moments! 2014-09-24 14:07:48

At 9/24/14 11:53 AM, jake-thesnake wrote: Wait when did the store become kill?

+1 for NG STore

The SirTom93 incident makes me crack up every time.

+1 for Sirtom93 Incident?

At 9/24/14 01:50 PM, Viper wrote:

Can I jot you down for a +1 for the Dovahkiin1994 Saga?

At 9/24/14 02:02 PM, SCTE3 wrote:
My votes overall, go to all of these threads. I hope Newgrounds becomes a more positive place in the next couple of years now that being a constant negative nancy is being shown as less and less welcome here.

I appreciate the mass-vote! I agree, and I hope the BBS becomes smarter, funnier, and all around better too.

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Most Depressing Bbs Moments! 2014-09-24 14:12:36

At 9/24/14 01:57 PM, Phobotech wrote:
At 9/24/14 01:50 PM, Viper wrote: Sometimes I wonder what the "1994" in his username could mean. Cause the likiness of him being born in '94 and therefore being 20 are slim to almost completely non-existent.
I assumed right from the get-go that was his birth-year. I think it's plausible.

I guess. But going off his mannerisms I find it hard to believe.

At 9/24/14 02:07 PM, Phobotech wrote: Can I jot you down for a +1 for the Dovahkiin1994 Saga?

If you want to.

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Most Depressing Bbs Moments! 2014-09-25 07:30:24

At 9/23/14 02:37 PM, SCTE3 wrote:
At 9/23/14 01:53 PM, Ama wrote:
At 9/23/14 10:40 AM, Nae wrote: I'd like to reserve a slot for '"The day they added the 'Edit Post' button."
Hey, wait a minute.
Edit: Oh nevermind.
I'll take a rain check.

It happened, and actually it's kinda glorious. Still think its a depressing addition?

BBS Signature

Updated List: (Post Edit Feature, so now I can keep these lists one-per-page!)

+7 Vote Tier
Livecorpse In Memorium
Notable User Absence, Deletion or Death
The Dovahkiin1994 Saga
Insanctuary's First Thread

+6 Vote Tier
GoryBlizzard's Public Bathroom Incident
NG Chat's Death
Tom's Reaction to the Sandy Hook Game
The Sirtom93 Incident

+5 Vote Tier
Psycho Baiting a Kid to Delete System32
1st Annual NG User Icon Battle

+4 Vote Tier
NG Store Closing

+3 Vote Tier
The Boston Bombing Thread
TheKlown and The Medicine Ball
The Wade's Wife Censorship Scandal
Persistent 'NG is Dying' Threads
"Enough is Enough!!!" Review Deletion Rant
Gory Blizzard's Deleted Nudes

+2 Vote Tier
The Penicorn Thread
Death of Animated Signatures
Jeff's Untimely and Tragic Disappearance
The "My Sister is a Tumblr Feminist" Flamewar (Thread Deleted)
Wriggle's Totally True Bus Girl Story
NaziNinja's Kim Possible Hentai Derailment
The 30 Year Trial Run
illwillpress Posting
Exudaz' Call to Arms Against a SJW and her Cross-Dressing Boy

====Individuals====

The Newton Connecticut Shooting Thread
The Christopher Dorner Thread
NG Alcoholics Anonymous Club
The Lack of Good Photoshop Threads
Annual BBS Award Threads
"Adolf Hitler, Around the World in 80 Days" Flagged Rant
FatBadger's "People abusing their power" Thread
"I Met Tom Fucking Fulp!" and the Hazing of Danny Jay

====Deadpool====

When Liljim stopped smoking.
All Depression Threads... (I think that's too vague to count...)
The Beast Awakens (Birth of Dick Neck)
"Why is there a cock in the top left corner"
The Decline of Clock Day
Threads Dedicated to Addressing Trolls

================

Modifications include some slight rearrangement of the threads within their respective rankings.

================

Rightly so, the generalized category of absent users that we miss joins Livecorpse at the top, as well as the lengthy Dovahkiin1994 Saga aligned with Insanctuary's wordy ramblings.

What thread will be the first to breach the +10 Vote Tier? Will anything else be downed to Deadpool? Will the new Post Editing Feature make the list or not? (I hope not, because I personally think its great.)

I still encourage a discussion. The NG Store's closing sits alone in the +4 Tier...what gear did you buy while it was still active?

I bought a Navy NG Logo T-shirt but unfortunately it was a Large at the time...it doesn't fit me anymore, but I'm hoping I can get in shape and look good enough to pull off a more form-fitting t-shirt like that someday. It is one of my many goal clothes that I refuse to get rid of.

I had also bought an NG Tank patch set and the Mindchamber patch...all made possible for winning the Hungry Motherfuckin' Caterpillar Photoshop contest, the prize being NG Store Credit from the mod community. The patches are still sewn on my lucky biker jacket to this day, which bears the zig-zag scar of road rash from my first motorcycle accident down one sleeve. There are many fond memories on that jacket...all of which those patches rest atop those shoulders, which I had sewn on myself.

What kind of gear did you get when the Store was alive? Do you think it would ever return?

Top 10 Most Depressing Bbs Moments!

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Most Depressing Bbs Moments! 2014-09-25 18:09:36

At 9/25/14 05:02 PM, Phobotech wrote: (Post Edit Feature, so now I can keep these lists one-per-page!)

Just realized that the Edit function is active only fifteen minutes after the post is made, then you can't edit it anymore.

I dig it, really, but now I know there are limitations to the edit function. So, forget that line at the top of this page, lol.

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Most Depressing Bbs Moments! 2014-09-25 21:31:32

At 9/25/14 05:02 PM, Phobotech wrote: What kind of gear did you get when the Store was alive?

One of those green tankman shirts because it was the only one they had in Large. And I don't even like the color. Wish they had ones in grey at the time I bought mine.
Other than that, tada.

Do you think it would ever return?

Maybe. But not in it's previous form.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Most Depressing Bbs Moments! 2014-09-28 17:06:13

At 9/25/14 09:31 PM, Viper wrote:
Other than that, tada.

Thats a helluva collection, nicely done Viper!

Do you think it would ever return?
Maybe. But not in it's previous form.

I agree. Someday it'll come back, and maybe even better than before.

Can't do any worse than the cafepress kinda store they had before the logo got redesigned. Mousepads and coffeemugs!

Speaking of the NG Store...I remembered reviewing this little gem a while back.

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Most Depressing Bbs Moments! 2014-09-28 20:53:34

I'd like to nominate this. It's quite fresh.
Also, after the OP requested lock, it got back up from its ashes.

There was that one Family Guy related thread that introduced us to fieldertiger's berserk button: 9/11

Response to Top 10 Most Depressing Bbs Moments! 2014-09-28 21:40:03

At 9/28/14 08:53 PM, NGPulp wrote: I'd like to nominate this. It's quite fresh.
Also, after the OP requested lock, it got back up from its ashes.

Ohhh lawdy. When I saw the lock and then the "Take-Two" reboot, I had a thought that somebody would've.

...I thought it would've been Ama to suggest it, honestly.

There was that one Family Guy related thread that introduced us to fieldertiger's berserk button: 9/11

A Family Guy thread about September 11th, or were you suggesting "Fieldertiger's Berserk Button" and another separate entry? Could you please elaborate?

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Most Depressing Bbs Moments! 2014-09-28 22:09:31

At 9/28/14 09:40 PM, Phobotech wrote:
At 9/28/14 08:53 PM, NGPulp wrote: There was that one Family Guy related thread that introduced us to fieldertiger's berserk button: 9/11
A Family Guy thread about September 11th, or were you suggesting "Fieldertiger's Berserk Button" and another separate entry? Could you please elaborate?

Oh it was one Family Guy related thread where the OP was excited for the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover.

The OP was posting dumb pictures related to Family Guy and he kept forcing the fact that Family Guy was the best, while everyone else grumbled about how dumb the thread was and how Family Guy is and was always terrible. Then fieldertiger had his own agenda in the same thread where some faceless user by the name of "Genderless-Hooker", I think, tracked him down and started posting pictures about 9/11 and tormenting him about it.

Response to Top 10 Most Depressing Bbs Moments! 2014-09-29 08:59:07

At 9/28/14 10:09 PM, NGPulp wrote:
Oh it was one Family Guy related thread where the OP was excited for the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover.

Not long after you mentioned it, it was bumped from an August slumber. That first page is a train-wreck, and I laughed out loud after a solid chain of fieldertiger getting trolled, OP finally showed up and said "I think we're getting a little off-topic here."

It's also strange that OP kept re-posting the same bad .jpegs over and over again...like the first time he posted them, he didn't get the response he wanted I guess, so he kept trying...but the troll-train died down quickly with stafffighters threatening to ban, and the body of the thread is pretty much the community coming together to agree that neither shows are what they used to be, fostering bleak expectations for the crossover OP was enthusiastic for.

That, I suppose, is pretty depressing. A mob of users just taking the wind out of the sails of a cartoon they haven't even seen yet. It'll make the list as an individual.

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Most Depressing Bbs Moments! 2014-09-29 12:24:26

At 9/29/14 12:22 PM, SCTE3 wrote:
At 9/29/14 12:14 PM, Amaranthus wrote: Add TheGamechanger's Halloween thread.
Should be changed to TheGamechanger Threads in general.

I had a thought about renaming "1st Annual NG Icon Battle" to "TheGamechanger's Role-Playing Threads", but should it be as broad as just...all of his threads? As depressing?

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Most Depressing Bbs Moments! 2014-09-29 17:15:55

At 9/25/14 05:02 PM, Phobotech wrote:

dont worry man they will get better

Solwings formerly dalexj1337 - Being a sped online since 2014

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Most Depressing Bbs Moments! 2014-09-30 09:08:39

At 9/30/14 08:35 AM, Captain-Slugworth wrote: before hand he claimed he was at the age of 18, I call bs.
basically he suddenly jumped 2 years forward and got to the age of 20 in just one year.

Nah he didn't.

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Most Depressing Bbs Moments! 2014-09-30 09:51:22

Actually I've had a think, and I'd rather not see "all of gamechanger's threads" up on that list.

When you see some of the other entries, they are in no way comparable. TheGamechanger makes threads for fun and is actively seeking people to join in and participate, and you can spot a few of the 2014 users who like that type of thing (even if others don't). Whereas the threads made by Insanctuary or Wriggle were toxic to the General forum.

I'd be careful about venting about his threads, because we shouldn't encourage a continually negative attitude towards people when there comes a point they will just say, "fuck it, why am I here" and leave. At least he makes threads, whereas most users simply respond to whatever is existing. I've only had a problem with the icon threads when GC was self-pleasuring himself in his training room. Otherwise I've ignored the thread because it's none of my business.

BBS Signature

At 9/30/14 09:51 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Actually I've had a think, and I'd rather not see "all of gamechanger's threads" up on that list.

I agree with everything you've said on the matter. 1st Annual NG Icon Battle stays because of the general fuckery demonstrated by TheGamechanger in that thread, but all of his threads don't quite cut the cheese this thread is looking for.

Amaranthus generally hates the guy, so that petty resentment is clouding his judgment...the other role-playing thread, the Annual Spookfest / Hauntfest or whatever hasn't even taken off the ground yet, so its nomination is clearly influenced by nothing more than what's happened in the Icon Battle thread.

I'll do a recount of votes from page 1 of this thread all the way up to current to double check if 1st Annual NG Icon Battle has all of its votes tallied, but there'll be no other GameChanger entries to the list unless something else happens that deserves the distinction.

As for Gamechanger creating his own birthday thread, sure its sad, but even he demonstrated that others have done it in the past...and moreover, nominating something so minor is petty; its just a birthday thread.

We need more substantial spectacles to be included, and I know we haven't covered them all...my memory fails to provide a direction, but I know that if we keep digging, we can unearth some classics from the BBS past.

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Most Depressing Bbs Moments! 2014-09-30 16:53:17

At 9/30/14 04:12 PM, Phobotech wrote: some classics from the BBS past.

An interesting piece of history:

Do you want to be Banned?

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Most Depressing Bbs Moments! 2014-09-30 16:59:18

At 9/30/14 04:53 PM, FinaLee wrote:

Haha! Absolutely on point. Gets my vote, which throws it into the +2 Tier.

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Most Depressing Bbs Moments! 2014-10-01 01:11:02

At 9/30/14 04:59 PM, Phobotech wrote:
At 9/30/14 04:53 PM, FinaLee wrote:

Haha! Absolutely on point. Gets my vote, which throws it into the +2 Tier.

Gonna have to give it a vote too. That thread is gold. Especially Wade's response at the end.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Most Depressing Bbs Moments! 2014-10-01 23:49:33

Stumbled across this gem, "How To Get To Heaven" out of curiosity.

The OP of this thread created the topic, and it was promptly shut down...he only had a few posts, and they've been a member for several years...so I checked out his other posts.

Literally the exact same topic, only the original was made seven years ago. Locked due to the flood of ridicule that you would expect from the BBS over a pushy religious agenda, but wow.... this thread is up for consideration, as an Individual entry at least...

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Most Depressing Bbs Moments! 2014-10-02 00:24:07

At 9/16/14 07:26 AM, Phobotech wrote: - "the beast awakens"

Depressing? That thread should be a permanent sticky.

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Most Depressing Bbs Moments! 2014-10-02 00:49:57

At 10/2/14 12:24 AM, Sinitech wrote:
At 9/16/14 07:26 AM, Phobotech wrote: - "the beast awakens"

I find it very ironic that Phobotech but "The beast awakens" on the list considering that he made this. (MAKE A SEQUEL!)

At 10/2/14 12:49 AM, TheGamechanger wrote:
At 10/2/14 12:24 AM, Sinitech wrote:
I find it very ironic that Phobotech but "The beast awakens" on the list considering that he made this. (MAKE A SEQUEL!)

I totally contributed to that fuckery, but at its base-value, the thread itself is kinda sad really. Even if DrForeman was a legitimate kid legitimately trying to show off his workout progress to a forum that was mostly dudes, the fact that everyone reacted to him in that way, and he responded with spectacle of butthurt like that? It was worth the mention at least...though I agree its hilarious, to others it could be a depressing example as to what mob-mentality can do to the BBS.

Also, I've been working on a sequel for quite some time.

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Most Depressing Bbs Moments! 2014-10-02 01:26:14

Why would sirtom get any votes? Shit was a triumph.

Xbox Live Gamertag: POTM

BBS Signature