00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zurocky just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Shitty music from back then

2,144 Views | 28 Replies

Shitty music from back then 2014-02-11 22:10:35

You know how some people say modern music is complete shit nowadays? Well I'm sure back then (Pre 80's-90's) wasn't perfect either so that said which songs/artists/bands cant you stomach?

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Shitty music from back then 2014-02-11 22:12:14

Lynyrd Skynyrd

BBS Signature

Response to Shitty music from back then 2014-02-11 23:34:49

People unironically listen to Bob Dylan and Joy Division which is kind of weird

Response to Shitty music from back then 2014-02-11 23:39:56

A lot of the stuff that came out awhile ago seemed really bad then put when put in perspective with some of today's music, it's a lot better now than it was then. I try to be as open minded about artists as I can, don't think I really have any artists from the 80s or 90s that I know of that I really just can't stand

BBS Signature

Response to Shitty music from back then 2014-02-12 00:15:10

Dave Matthews Band

Response to Shitty music from back then 2014-02-12 00:16:48

At 2/11/14 11:12 PM, Piggler wrote: The older bands that everyone knows are still talked about and listened to because they're good enough to withstand the test of time. Bands that sucked have faded into obscurity and therefore few people even know of their existence, making it seem like all the old bands were good.

Pretty much.

That being said, I don't like even most well known 80s rock bands because of their level of corniness; Guns'n'Roses, Van Halen, Def Leppard, Journey, Twisted Sister, Poison, etc. I just hate 80s rock in general, aside from 2nd wave punk bands.

Response to Shitty music from back then 2014-02-12 00:18:26

At 2/11/14 11:28 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: bruce springsteen
pink floyd
abba
queen
yes
lynyrd skynrd

You must be on crack

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

was her name tenneassi

omtish

BBS Signature

Response to Shitty music from back then 2014-02-12 02:09:07

Yeah, all those "I was born in the wrong generation" YouTube commenter kids are either conveniently ignoring or blissfully unaware of the Breads and Jefferson Starships of the world, or the Donny and Maries, the Sonny and Chers, the Captain and Tennilles. The past was hardly without its fair share of bland Top 40 pop crap, not to mention its own torturous novelty earworms.

Obviously that shit's going to be forgotten while the good stuff stands the test of time. Overall I'd the say the ratio of good to bad is probably about the same as it ever was, if not actually better because independent artists' ability to record and distribute their music has expanded so much.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Shitty music from back then 2014-02-12 03:39:55

At 2/12/14 02:09 AM, Dr-Worm wrote: Obviously that shit's going to be forgotten while the good stuff stands the test of time. Overall I'd the say the ratio of good to bad is probably about the same as it ever was, if not actually better because independent artists' ability to record and distribute their music has expanded so much.

I think there is more awesome music today. The Internet surely helped a lot for artists to distribute and get known without having to please a label.

Response to Shitty music from back then 2014-02-12 14:19:22

The Beatles. There, I said it.

Response to Shitty music from back then 2014-02-12 14:29:03

At 2/12/14 03:39 AM, HeavenDuff wrote:
I think there is more awesome music today. The Internet surely helped a lot for artists to distribute and get known without having to please a label.

Record labels are there for that specific purpose of marketing an artists music. Getting popular on YouTube doesn't mean anything, people just click on a artists song and leave a nasty comment usually.

Your musical knowledge never ceases to amaze.

Response to Shitty music from back then 2014-02-12 18:13:27

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Shitty music from back then 2014-02-12 18:17:39

At 2/11/14 10:10 PM, Wegra wrote: You know how some people say modern music is complete shit nowadays? Well I'm sure back then (Pre 80's-90's) wasn't perfect either so that said which songs/artists/bands cant you stomach?

Your premise and conclusion are mutually exclusive of my desire to remark constructively.

However, as a means of justifying the aforementioned sentiment with a cursory placation, I am not much of a fan of Urine that Smells Like Sulphur.

Don't worry if you can't find it, Bill Hicks is the only answer.

Shitty music from back then

NGMartial Arts Club Are you Man...

MUSIC | or a little, dying cosmic whore...

Speak with your actions, come from your core.

BBS Signature

Response to Shitty music from back then 2014-02-12 18:21:23

disco

At 2/11/14 11:28 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: pink floyd

Wrong

abba

Very right

queen

Wrong again

yes

Wow, really? Your ears are broken.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Shitty music from back then 2014-02-12 18:39:38

It's all taste really, I'm sure there were people hating The Beatles as much as One Direction, that's the way it goes.

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature

Response to Shitty music from back then 2014-02-12 21:42:05

At 2/12/14 02:29 PM, SuperElroy wrote: Record labels are there for that specific purpose of marketing an artists music. Getting popular on YouTube doesn't mean anything, people just click on a artists song and leave a nasty comment usually.

Your musical knowledge never ceases to amaze.

That's because you are dumb enough to believe I was talking about YouTube. Shut the fuck up kid and stop talking like we know each other.

Response to Shitty music from back then 2014-02-12 23:40:08

At 2/12/14 11:17 PM, Shade wrote: AC/DC

I pity you.

BBS Signature

Response to Shitty music from back then 2014-02-12 23:49:56

I hesitate to call any music shitty since it is a very subjective medium but the Eagles really are just so terrible.

Response to Shitty music from back then 2014-02-13 01:12:17

I've never liked AC/DC or the beatles.
The beatles is so boring to me, and I strongly dislike the lead singers voice in AC/DC(not Bon Scott or Brian Johnson)

"Man, I nearly snapped my twig. Then again I nearly snapped A few of you"- Alice in Chains

BBS Signature

Response to Shitty music from back then 2014-02-13 01:48:02

Guns & Roses.
Axl singing sounds god awful and it makes me want to drive spikes into my ear drums whenever I hear him.
And hes somehow managed to get WORSE as the years have gone on. Dunno how he made it possible. But he managed to do it.

At 2/11/14 11:28 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: yes

Are you mental or something?
Yes are one of the greatest Prog. bands to ever grace the face of the planet.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Shitty music from back then 2014-02-13 02:01:41

At 2/13/14 01:50 AM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 2/13/14 01:48 AM, Viper50 wrote:
At 2/11/14 11:28 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: yes
Are you mental or something?
yes

but yes are still shit

Just out of a sheer level of curiosity, what have you heard by them?

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Shitty music from back then 2014-02-13 09:31:36

Sorry for my bad english. I'm not from this planet

Art Page|Art Thread|Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Shitty music from back then 2014-02-13 09:45:57

AC/DC and Guns'N'Roses.

Probably more, but most of the others that have been mentioned I agree with (except for Joy Division, Yes, etc, whom I both love).

BBS Signature

Response to Shitty music from back then 2014-02-13 10:08:52

It's POSION to my ears

Response to Shitty music from back then 2014-02-13 10:10:31

At 2/13/14 10:08 AM, Twone wrote: It's POSION to my ears

oh no I spelled potion wrong, I'll be the laughing stock!

Response to Shitty music from back then 2014-02-13 11:16:19

Though I partially agree with your point, I tend to agree that most of todays music is shit. I mean most of our artists for kids are all tv stars disney taught to sing. Pop music is pumping out more stuff than ever, and most of those bands/artists don't even write their own songs. and I mean, we have Brokencyde, thats gonna be with us for all of time, just think abou that.

BBS Signature

Response to Shitty music from back then 2014-02-13 15:45:54

At 2/13/14 01:48 AM, Viper50 wrote: Are you mental or something?
Yes are one of the greatest Prog. bands to ever grace the face of the planet.

Seriously. I haven't heard their other albums, but Fragile is awesome, and at least what I can remember from Close to the Edge and the Yes Album was definitely good. Bill Bruford is one of the greatest drummers in the history of rock music, not just prog but in general. And there is some groovy as fuck bass playing in some of those songs.

Really, Bruford is like a drumming god. Most of King Crimson's very best stuff was with him.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Shitty music from back then 2014-02-13 17:11:34

At 2/12/14 12:15 AM, SuperElroy wrote: Dave Matthews Band

I second this. Along with Dave Matthews I can't stand Bon Jovi, The Bee Gees, or Poison.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Shitty music from back then 2014-02-13 19:46:25

At 2/13/14 03:45 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Seriously. I haven't heard their other albums, but Fragile is awesome, and at least what I can remember from Close to the Edge and the Yes Album was definitely good. Bill Bruford is one of the greatest drummers in the history of rock music, not just prog but in general. And there is some groovy as fuck bass playing in some of those songs.

I highly recommend listening to Relayer, Tales Of Topographic Oceans, and Drama. Though those are all post-Bruford Yes.
Still great albums though. He came back and did the album Union with em and had Steve Howe and Rick Wakeman in there too. The album was I wanna say the only album were they played as an octet (meaning there were 8 people).

Though I don't know if I'd recommend anything after Drama though. Yeah 90125 had a decent song or two but their sound drastically changed after that particular album. The only stuff I'd say you could listen to would be The Ladder. You could also listen to Keys To Ascension 1 & 2. But on those they're predominately live stuff. On Keys to Ascension 1 the last two tracks are new ones. And on Keys to Ascension 2 disc 2 is all new stuff (they're both double discs).

Really, Bruford is like a drumming god. Most of King Crimson's very best stuff was with him.

Agreed.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature