Be a Supporter!

Pokemon X and Y

  • 15,792 Views
  • 507 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Bobbybroccoli
Bobbybroccoli
  • Member since: Sep. 26, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 34
Gamer
Response to Pokemon X and Y Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 10:47 PM Reply

At 1/14/13 12:02 PM, Chdonga wrote:
At 1/12/13 09:37 PM, SmartyPants wrote: I'm crossing my fingers, hoping the pokemon look cool.
It's pokemon, so if there's only 50 new pokemon and they're all evos, prevos, and legendaries I'll still buy it and love it. I just hope Fennekin isn't a Fire/Fighting type.

I've seen some theories of the three starters all having a secondary type triangle. Fighting, psychic, and dark, with Froakie being fighting (he looks like a sumo wrestler) and Fennekin displaying psychic looking moves in the trailer. That would leave Chespin as a dark, which might work with his subdued design.

Neon-Bard
Neon-Bard
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Pokemon X and Y Jan. 15th, 2013 @ 03:14 PM Reply

I would have to say that I'm pretty excited for the new generation. Being someone who has been around since the very beginning of Pokemon, I always try to welcome new generations (not just with Pokemon either) with an open mind. However, despite that I also feel that for every new generation produced, Game Freak seems to distance itself from their 'original' design basis. I suppose that's to be expected as a franchise grows and ages, but that's just my two cents. :)


If you have a moment, check out some of my work:
[Music here on Newgrounds] [Soundcloud]

BBS Signature
Dragoonwing
Dragoonwing
  • Member since: Mar. 20, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Animator
Response to Pokemon X and Y Jan. 16th, 2013 @ 09:22 AM Reply

GameFreak continues their tradition of making the best Pokemon the water starter!

As for the people asking why Pokemon won't be a full game on consoles, simple reason for that. Let's use Monster Hunter as the example. In Japan the PSP game Portable 3rd sold over 4 million units back in 2010 in less than 6 months. The Wii game Monster Hunter Tri only sold little over 1 million.

Why such a wide gap in sales? Monster Hunter shares the same appeal Pokemon has, social interaction.


BBS Signature
POTaTOS
POTaTOS
  • Member since: Jan. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Musician
Response to Pokemon X and Y Jan. 16th, 2013 @ 05:41 PM Reply

Next up: The Pokemon FPS: Pokemon Brown and Gray.


[PSN/Steam- Airbourne238]

BBS Signature
SmartyPants
SmartyPants
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Reader
Response to Pokemon X and Y Jan. 16th, 2013 @ 07:31 PM Reply

At 1/16/13 05:41 PM, POTaTOS wrote: Next up: The Pokemon FPS: Pokemon Brown and Gray.

Gray was what I originally thought they were going to name the sequel to black and white. Much like how Emerald was the sequel to Ruby and Sapphire and Platinum was the sequel to Diamond and Pearl. I wonder why they didn't go with Gray.


"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

SoulMaster71
SoulMaster71
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Movie Buff
Response to Pokemon X and Y Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 10:32 AM Reply

At 1/16/13 07:31 PM, SmartyPants wrote: I wonder why they didn't go with Gray.

They had too many ideas, and ideas that were too different from B/W, for "Gray" to hold it all. And they might not have wanted Gen6 to be held back in Unova or a connected region to put them in, for one reason or another. Personally, I don't necessarily agree; sequels are supposed to be at least as big as the originals, but they kinda skimped on the "epic" for B2/W2 compared to B/W themselves. I mean, there were a few big moments... I mean, Kyurem fusing with the other dragon was cool, right? And the freezing of Opelucid, too. But, I dunno... When it was Platinum, I complained about the League quest continuing after the criminals were already defeated when the criminal plot was the emotional peak of the game. When B/W came along, and put the conclusion of the criminal plot after beating the Elite Four Pokémon League, every bone in my body yelled, "I told you so!" It just worked much better that way. But in Black and White 2, they went back to the more traditional style, and while Iris isn't as stupidly cheap as Cynthia was, the formula still comes with the disadvantage that once the big battle against Ghetsis and his cheap-as-all-Hell-dreigon is over, the Elite Four is just a matter of type advantages and doesn't have any of the excitement or engagement that the criminals produce. What's more, the layout of Victory Road in B/W just seemed much more awe-inspiring than its appearance in the sequels; B/W Victory Road constantly reminded the player that they were on a 3D mountain, while B2/W2 Victory Road only shows signs of that kind of effort right at the end, being otherwise a much more basic take on the idea that might have been kinda cool if this was Gen3, but ultimately isn't as good as the previous one. And with the Badge check gates just before it, too: remember the eight Badge check gates of B/W, where every gate was themed around its Badge? Nope, this just has a quick series of checkpoints right in a row that check you for the Badges right before a single gate. In other words, Game Freak seemed to be phoning it in somewhat for the second half of Gen5, and while White 2 was easily better than anything before Gen5 was, it still didn't quite live up to the original pair of Gen5 games.

I really hope that this is actually a good omen for Gen6, that the reason B2/W2 was such an obviously lesser effort compared to B/W is because Game Freak was so distracted by early development, or at least pre-production, on X and Y. That the Black and White sequels were just a quickie wrap-up to the story in Unova specifically because Game Freak wanted to put as much resources in X and Y as they possibly could. We've seen gameplay footage, they have to have at least a prototype or an alpha version of the game to do that, and that would have taken money and effort going back a few months, right? They're Game Freak, developers of one of the biggest Nintendo franchises, they wouldn't make fake gameplay footage... Or at the very least, maybe I can think that it'll do no harm, that the effort needed to make Black 2 and White 2 was just the sum of the effort that would have been required for Hoenn remakes and Gray, and they just moved on from that once it was over because, Hell, they don't have anything more they feel like doing in Unova, time to get on the next region. But a part of me is going to continue to be the bitchy, paranoid, stupid fanboy that you get when my main Pokémon fandom activity happens behind the cover of near-total anonymity. Is the sky gonna fall? Are these next games likely to be garbage? Hell no. We don't know enough to say anything like that; we've got starter designs and two Legendaries, and hints at a genetic or biological theme (some of which either assume that your average Pokémon player is a biology aficionado or are just severely overthought by the guys writing the theories). Oh, and that it's a new pair of main series Pokémon games, which is pretty much a guarantee that they will NOT suck in the opinion of most Pokémon fans, at least not aside from the more belligerent of said fans bringing them up as examples of "suck" versus "non-suck" franchise entries in generational opinion flame wars. Right now the biggest rational question for me isn't "will they be good?", since in the overall scheme of things I'm almost certain to enjoy X and Y on their own merits, but "where will they fit in the overall generational tier list?" But the bitchy, paranoid, stupid part of me will seize on anything as an excuse to complain about a game that's months from being released. Any perceived misstep, like my relatively low opinions of the starters. Any subjective hint of failure, like my opinions on B2/W2's relative drop in quality compared to B/W. Because I'm paranoid like that inside, even when I know my paranoia involves my head being planted inside my rectal cavity.

CaveStoryGrounds
CaveStoryGrounds
  • Member since: Jan. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Writer
Response to Pokemon X and Y Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 11:42 AM Reply

At 1/18/13 10:32 AM, SoulMaster71 wrote: They had too many ideas [...]

Holy wall batman!

grachamoncha
grachamoncha
  • Member since: Jan. 18, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Pokemon X and Y Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 03:36 PM Reply

I am seriously so long since caring about pokemans. Got to ruby and gave up. Does anyone else have this kind of mindset? Might try and look into an emulator for the more recent ones.

SoulMaster71
SoulMaster71
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Movie Buff
Response to Pokemon X and Y Jan. 19th, 2013 @ 02:12 AM Reply

At 1/18/13 11:42 AM, CaveStoryGrounds wrote:
At 1/18/13 10:32 AM, SoulMaster71 wrote: They had too many ideas [...]
Holy wall batman!

Yeah, I know. China keeps calling me, saying they want their wall back... Sorry, Xi Jinping, but I'm probably gonna need to borrow it again before too long!

At 1/18/13 01:16 PM, Austerity wrote: Might as well wait for the inevitable Pokemon Z

Don't you mean Pokémon W and Z?

You know, I kinda hope that the villains this time have a halfway decent goal and are not, in fact, being manipulated by yet another Ghetsis-like figure whose real motivation is hidden behind lies. Pokémon liberation makes a surprisingly good and rational motivation for well-intentioned extremist villains, but then having it all come down to "Villain McEvilheel over there adopted a kid and abused him into thinking that just so he could take over the world" sidestepped a more important discussion that Team Plasma could have brought about. The fact is, the presence of someone like Ghetsis makes it perhaps even more necessary to have that discussion; where previous criminal leaders Maxie, Archie, and even the emotionally repressed Cyrus all used Crobat, indicating that despite being villains all of them were still kind to their own Pokémon, Ghetsis has a Hydreigon, below the level where Zweilous is supposed to evolve into it. A Hydreigon that knows Frustration. Which is at full power. As anyone who's played the games knows, you have to be a fucking ASSHOLE for your Pokémon to be unhappy with you, and that Hydreigon is no pushover by any means, being responsible for in some cases one-shotting each Pokémon in parties of six that had gotten through everything before that without unreasonable levels of trouble. There's a guy out there abusing such an incredibly powerful creature to the point that it fears and hates him above all else? And Hydreigon as a species isn't some otherwise gentle and kindhearted being like Dragonite, oh no. Hydreigon is a savage predator which is willing to kill and eat anything. We've got a recipe for disaster right there; a violent and dangerous Pokémon being raised in a way that it never gets to understand anything beyond fear and hatred. That's exactly WHY there needs to be a discussion and preferably regulations about Pokémon welfare in the hands of Trainers. Just like our world needs regulations on humane treatment of domesticated animals, only even more so because Pokémon have powers far greater than our world's animals and in at least some cases may be fully sapient. I'd like to see that whole kind of thing played straight this time instead of thrown in the trash with a hypocritical strawman like Ghetsis. It doesn't have to be about the morality and ethics of the system of Pokémon training and battling; despite the strawman made to represent the argument against it, they still did present fairly conclusive evidence in Generation 5 (and even before that) that the majority of law-abiding citizens treat Pokémon respectfully as their partners and friends rather than as their slaves. But there's gotta be some theme for them to explore more deeply instead of just setting you out and having every villainous grunt proclaim how evil they are like they did in Generations 1 and 2. Black and White were the best they did yet with thematic exploration, narrative, characterization, and everything else that makes games deeper than the gameplay. Now let's see them take it farther.

Timmayrod2700
Timmayrod2700
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Pokemon X and Y Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 01:36 PM Reply

I'm definitely looking forward to these games, and I want to get both of them when they come out. If not, I will get Y because Yveltal looks really cool! Well actually, I need to see what Pokemon are going to be exclusive to each game first before I make my final decision.

The 6th generation is a big step up for Game Freak. Full 3D graphics and the new move animations make these games look like they are definitely worth playing!

BTW, I don't think there will be Ruby and Sapphire remakes because, the reason why FireRed, LeafGreen, HeartGold, and SoulSilver were made is because the first two generations are not capable of connecting to the newer games. I feel that Ruby and Sapphire don't need remakes since Pokemon from Generation III games (R/S/E/FR/LG) can migrate to Generation IV games (D/P/Pt/HG/SS) and then transfer to Generation V games (B/W/B2/W2).

I am so excited for this new generation of Pokemon games to come out!

MusicalWonders
MusicalWonders
  • Member since: Nov. 25, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Art Lover
Response to Pokemon X and Y Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 01:49 AM Reply

At 1/8/13 09:48 AM, towelie101 wrote: GameFreak ran out of colors and decided to use chromosomes? I'll have to see more Pokemon before I get it.

3D looks alright, but the new designs are bad. I was thinking that when Gen V was coming out so maybe they'll grow on me.

I don't know why people keep saying stupid stuff like this. X and Y, as in the 3D axis. They have plenty of colors left to use, they just wanted to try something new and to make the 3D thing stand out more. Duh.

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Pokemon X and Y Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 01:51 AM Reply

To be honest, I stopped playing the pokemon games at about Emerald, the Hoen region...


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature
joe9320
joe9320
  • Member since: Aug. 20, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Gamer
Response to Pokemon X and Y Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 02:44 AM Reply

The plot is getting darker these days to attract adult Pokemon fans. Cyrus hellbent on making a new universe? That's the first sign of it. Black and White just turned up the dial to 11. And I hope that the sixth generation is the darkest and edgiest Pokemon game yet.

All we have to do is bet for the third version to be called Z, and if it does, cash in on our bets.


I still like Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven!

BBS Signature
YellowisCOOL
YellowisCOOL
  • Member since: Nov. 17, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Artist
Response to Pokemon X and Y Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 02:46 AM Reply

Now I'm starting to like Pokemon X and Y a little bit more.... but it really just isn't that original. At least in the game you can go to Hoenn....


R O A $ T D U C K - Soundcloud
ϫ It's a metaphor you potato with eyes ϫ

BBS Signature
darkjam
darkjam
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Gamer

It's hip to be square, but it's hipper to be torus! // You shall watch and you shall like. // #FREEAMA2014

BBS Signature
SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Member since: Jul. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 44
Musician
Response to Pokemon X and Y Apr. 7th, 2013 @ 02:44 PM Reply

At 4/7/13 01:51 PM, darkjam wrote: Is this Mewthree, or a fucked up Mewtwo form. Either way, it's fucked up and weird!

Any relation to Mewtwo is speculation, even the official Pokemon site does not know what it is aside from it having a similar appearance to Mewtwo.


<3//Request a Review//Review Request Club // #9 Reviewer // #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
Magical-Zorse
Magical-Zorse
  • Member since: May. 10, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 38
Melancholy
Response to Pokemon X and Y Apr. 7th, 2013 @ 03:36 PM Reply

That looks pretty awesome. It almost makes me want to go buy a 3ds.


BBS Signature
darkjam
darkjam
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Pokemon X and Y Apr. 7th, 2013 @ 05:51 PM Reply

Any relation to Mewtwo is speculation, even the official Pokemon site does not know what it is aside from it having a similar appearance to Mewtwo.

Like I said, it's fucked up! The design is just plain weird.


It's hip to be square, but it's hipper to be torus! // You shall watch and you shall like. // #FREEAMA2014

BBS Signature
OwnageGiy223
OwnageGiy223
  • Member since: Jun. 1, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Pokemon X and Y Apr. 8th, 2013 @ 12:41 AM Reply

Naturally, nostalgiafags hating on the new design. I've said it many times, and I'll probably say it many more times: if this generation and the first generation were to swap places in time, you'd say this current one was superior. The only reason why you like the generation 1 Pokemon is 100% nostalgia. You would say Charmander and Squirtle looked fucking retarded. Remember this: The Pokemon aren't getting worse in design; you're just getting older. The stylized design that Pokemon always had isn't appealing to you anymore. Sheer nostalgia is what's keeping you liking the older Pokemon designs.

For some odd reason, the biggest fans of this franchise are the first to bitch about it on internet forums; yet, like clockwork, they'll also be the first to but the new game. Fanboys just don't know what they want anymore. Also, people who judge these games based on their fucking names have absolutely no leg to stand on. Their opinions are completely invalid as far as I'm concerned.

Psychopathic-Mind
Psychopathic-Mind
  • Member since: Dec. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Pokemon X and Y Apr. 8th, 2013 @ 12:44 AM Reply

I've heard a nice amount of dislike for the new Pokemon/form's design, whatever it is, across the websites, but I like it, and not much'll change that! Has a sleek yet extremely organic feeling to it, and, it has a handle for convenient movement!


BBS Signature
HollowedPumkinz
HollowedPumkinz
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Pokemon X and Y Apr. 8th, 2013 @ 01:51 AM Reply

At 1/19/13 02:12 AM, SoulMaster71 wrote: wall-o-text

I just want you to know that I have read both posts and every single word that you typed in those massive "paragraphs" and to this I would like to say: What. The. Fuck. Do you even possess a fucking tab key?? Okay, okay, I got that out of my system.

I see you're a rather big fan of the series, I think I would like to see a better story plot as well although to be perfectly honest I largely don't care about the villains save for the large amounts of XP I can get off of beating their asses. But I would seriously enjoy a better story what's been given, I might even be slightly intrigued by it.

Though, to be frank, I really really like Pokemon Emerald. The Hoenn region, for me was pokemon's highlight. It had enough pokemon in it for me to be entertained and enough battling and gym leaders to keep me wanting to go on. I tell ya I really had a nice team back then, ah yep. You know some people say people who hate the designs of the recent pokemon is due to Nostalgia, and to some extent they might be right, but there is no denying that many, many pokemon in these recent gens have just gotten really fucking stupid looking. In the first few gens, they hadn't done all the animals yet so they could still keep the pokemon looking relatively close to them, which kept them normal looking. But then around Gen 5 they kinda ran out of original animal forms so now you have things like the weird ass ice cream pokemon and a suit of possessed armor. And then there's that deer legendary that's got like a blue nose or something and ah let's not for get the dragon that looks like he was colored in with crayon by a 5 yr old, giant red head and blue arms, riiiiight. Oh and Swoobat kinda creeps me out along with the fetus thing that eats dreams. Some of its nostalgia, but buddy, let me tell you, a lot of it is simply because they couldn't fit in anymore repetitive animal designs, started to make really odd kinda animal looking ones and then started reaching for the nearest piece of furniture. Don't be surprised when you see one in the shape of a watch or a lamp.


Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature
Lionelion
Lionelion
  • Member since: Jun. 29, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Pokemon X and Y Apr. 9th, 2013 @ 05:20 PM Reply

At 4/7/13 01:51 PM, darkjam wrote: Is this Mewthree, or a fucked up Mewtwo form. Either way, it's fucked up and weird!

This intrigues me. The only reason people are saying Mewthree is cuz of that tail, nothing else looks similar to mewtwo, except for maybe the color scheme. Im hoping it will have no relation to mewtwo at all, but even if it does, as long as its something new and fresh, and not some stupid new cloning bullshit, i'll be okay

Freaki-boy92
Freaki-boy92
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Pokemon X and Y Apr. 10th, 2013 @ 08:49 PM Reply

At 1/8/13 09:48 AM, Emlfuryoflion wrote:
At 1/8/13 08:44 AM, MacDonaldFin wrote: So they finally ran out of colors...
Nah. Don't forget about diamond, pearl, ruby, sapphire, emerald. They could always go back to colors if they feel like it.

hell, even black and white aren't really colours.
black is an absence of light
white is an abundance of light

darkjam
darkjam
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Pokemon X and Y Apr. 27th, 2013 @ 08:29 AM Reply

So there's going to be three new types apparently. They will be light, sound and fairy, Sylveon being fairy.


It's hip to be square, but it's hipper to be torus! // You shall watch and you shall like. // #FREEAMA2014

BBS Signature
Emlfuryoflion
Emlfuryoflion
  • Member since: Mar. 14, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Gamer
Response to Pokemon X and Y Apr. 27th, 2013 @ 09:04 AM Reply

At 4/27/13 08:29 AM, darkjam wrote: So there's going to be three new types apparently. They will be light, sound and fairy, Sylveon being fairy.

Light makes sense. The other two? Sounds odd. Do you have a link?

darkjam
darkjam
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Pokemon X and Y Apr. 27th, 2013 @ 11:00 AM Reply

Light makes sense. The other two? Sounds odd. Do you have a link?

Sadly no. I just typed in Pokemon X and Y in google for the latest news and those were the suggestions. I looked for websites with info but all I got is a small paragraph with one line about it and then asking about your opinion.


It's hip to be square, but it's hipper to be torus! // You shall watch and you shall like. // #FREEAMA2014

BBS Signature
RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Pokemon X and Y Apr. 27th, 2013 @ 03:18 PM Reply

At 4/10/13 08:49 PM, Freaki-boy92 wrote: hell, even black and white aren't really colours.
black is an absence of light
white is an abundance of light

It's funny when people don't understand how colors work and try to act all matter of factly when they are wrong


All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Member since: Jul. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 44
Musician
Response to Pokemon X and Y May. 11th, 2013 @ 12:35 PM Reply

At 5/11/13 12:34 PM, imaTouko-chan wrote: A new issue of CoroCoro was now released with new information of the upcoming Pokemon X and Y games.

So far the only information I got that game is set going to be set in Karos Region which is based on France. You can customize your trainer, and the main city is in Miare City.
Now there is a new feature that you can customized your trainer.

Closeup of the customization.

Not bad at all. Now players can make their character look how they wish to look.


<3//Request a Review//Review Request Club // #9 Reviewer // #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
SoulMaster71
SoulMaster71
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Movie Buff
Response to Pokemon X and Y May. 11th, 2013 @ 07:37 PM Reply

At 5/11/13 12:44 PM, imaTouko-chan wrote: On this photo it shows the four new PokÃf©mon, also shows the Boxart of Pokemon X & Y.

The goat is the first Pokémon of this generation that I've seen, with the possible exception of Fennekin, that I overall like right now. Maybe the bird isn't too bad and it'll probably evolve, and hopefully the panda will evolve into something more badass-looking, though I don't use many Fighting-types in general unless they have secondary types. Even the female protagonist, while pretty cute in her own right, is nothing special after the girls of Gen5, in my opinion. I really don't like being "that guy", but I have a lot of reservations about nearly everything we've seen thus far about this generation. Though we've really still seen very little, so maybe eventually we'll see the strong-looking Pokémon of X and Y.

darkjam
darkjam
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Gamer