Respond to this Topic
I-smel
I-smel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Support Newgrounds! Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 01:47 AM Reply

Argh! The day they announce the Support feature is the day I've got £29 left in the bank. It's gonna be next month til I can buy this, sorry guys!

I agree with Gerkinman that Newgrounds can be too punk-rock for it's own good. I still think introducing Following to everyone as a line of white text on their user page is PAINFULLY weak!
People who don't read their own profiles, or don't HAVE profiles, STILL DON'T KNOW ABOUT THAT FEATURE!
Y'know... the kind of people WHO THAT WOULD BE USEFUL TO?

Nijsse
Nijsse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Gamer
Response to Support Newgrounds! Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 02:20 AM Reply

At 9/17/12 05:05 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/17/12 03:58 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: yeah PayPal would be useful.
We've been talking about finally adding Paypal. We have a fear of adding it, then having like 10 people use it and being like "Oh we could have just had them send it to our Paypal email instead of building an entire feature around it."

So who do we contact to make this happen? I do understand your problems with Paypal, but I think you're missing out on a ton of money by having so few payment options, especially for non-US folks. Like I said in my previous post, I really want to support you guys, but I have no clue how to get my money in your pockets.

Gerkinman
Gerkinman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Support Newgrounds! Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 02:39 AM Reply

At 9/18/12 01:10 AM, 4urentertainment wrote:
At 9/17/12 09:33 PM, Gerkinman wrote: How do you even attract new artists to a site like this when the purpose of the site isn't even clear, i mean its great that its a hub for art, games, videos and music, but its has a its fingers in all these pies without coming close to mastering any of them, its unfocused and as such excels at nothing other then being cluttered and undirected.
While your rant was well structured and argued meticulously, (and thanks for the link to fillim) I have to disagree here.

I really think that's the whole point of beauty and Newgrounds. If you're an animator, Newgrounds isn't just a place to post your movies, and same for all other fields. What amazes me about Newgrounds is the collaboration. You could be making your art, and have no idea how games work for example, but then you come across a guy learning to program and you start talking, and team up and eventually make games. If I'm not mistaken that's how Tommy and Edmund, the creators of Super Meat Boy, met.

And there's a lot of other stories like this. Or perhaps you'd even benefit from the people you meet and work with through game jams. Sure, there's a lot of other places that make game jams, but Newgrounds it the only one that assigns you in random teams so you work with people you may never have considered working with before. And I'm not sure if any other place does movie jams either.

I do agree with you to a degree, there are a lot of great things that have come out of this websites dedications to projects like the jams, but by the same token they dont bring much in the way of revenue into the site which is my argument. I am all for games like Super Meat Boy and other projects, in fact im a big fan, BUT aside from a slight reputation boost for the newgrounds website they do very little for it financially which is the problem the site currently faces.

DOUBLE POST! BAM! I thought that was fixed.

Jazza
Jazza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Game Developer
Response to Support Newgrounds! Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 02:47 AM Reply

I never click ads coz I hate ads, but am SO glad I have an option to support NG outright. You guys should consider letting people pay more than the $25 if they want to. Just saying. I would.

follow me: TWITTER and FACEBOOK

Bluemidgetguy
Bluemidgetguy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to Support Newgrounds! Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 02:53 AM Reply

I've been on NG since 2000 and created my account in 03. Hell yeah I'm supporting this. Also, here is a picture of me telling Tom I'm going to stare at his dick and his awkward face as follows.

Support Newgrounds!

I-smel
I-smel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Support Newgrounds! Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 03:01 AM Reply

Alright well now I'm really thinking about Gerkinman's rant on how this isn't a tactical approach.

Following's undersold, this supporter thing's a tiny thumbnail of a news post and the Newgrounds movie Kickstarter thing should've had this huge splash, or should've bin on the front page somewhere, ya just got a video player in 2012...
I've never thought about this before, but Penny Arcade isn't run by the guys who make the comics, Notch doesn't make the decisions at Mojang, Stan Lee didn't write that last Spider-Man movie, and I would've stopped making games if I didn't meet someone knew how to sell em last year.
I wonder if Newgrounds is overdue for taking on a suit. Is it TOO CRAZY that the guy who's designing games at The Behemoth is also like fuckin cheques n balances, making managerial decisions for this giant site? The big fear is that business-focused input is against what Newgrounds is, but Behemoth has staff dedicated to things that aren't making the games, right? I guess?

well this all falls apart when I remember that I know fucking nothing about how companies like this are actually run. Maybe there ARE a couple guys stat-tracking the shit out of everything and making all the phone calls, and a premium membership is a perfect idea.
Or maybe it's just these dudes sprinting as fast as they can with blinders on.

Before they got the WiiWare deal, Team Meat phoned up Nintendo all the time and got nowhere, then later realised they were just calling the fuckin reception desk by accident, cos there are no business men on that team. Kinda scary, right!?
(sorry if I just come off as a cock)

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Support Newgrounds! Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 03:34 AM Reply

At 9/17/12 09:33 PM, Gerkinman wrote: Incoming stupidly long rant.
The major issue facing this premium membership for Newgrounds -

It's not a premium membership, since the only benefit is the removal of ads (and there are supporters who want the option to enable ads anyway).

It's a donation.

BBS Signature
AbsintheClock
AbsintheClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Animator
Response to Support Newgrounds! Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 03:46 AM Reply

Supportin' this shit right here.

BBS Signature
MiddleFingerRings
MiddleFingerRings
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Support Newgrounds! Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 04:08 AM Reply

I feel like using my store credit here would be cheating.

BBS Signature
DragoonDeath
DragoonDeath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to Support Newgrounds! Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 05:04 AM Reply

I will happily give blood and my soul as well for newsground but if it money you want I will do so.

Anyway Tom, I compulted Castle Crashers on the Xbox yesterday and only from the minds of newsground can you make us LOL. You hide the final princess face from us thoughout the whole game and after beating the final boss we finally saw it. Admitedly I'm happy I lost the fight for love when I saw her face since I laughed at my partner in the game as he did since he kissed her.

I would love to see a Castle Crasher 2.

Retsiger
Retsiger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Support Newgrounds! Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 06:10 AM Reply

Times are tough right now but as soon as I get the extra money I'll gladly support this beautiful website.

Insert signature here.

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Melancholy
Response to Support Newgrounds! Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 07:18 AM Reply

At 9/17/12 03:48 PM, VicariousE wrote: The unholy YouTube alliance (of sorts) has helped, but there are plenty of fringe sites (4chan?) that have future NG members just waiting to be told "We're here!"

Pretty much everyone on 4chan has already heard of newgrounds, its just that people dont really go on it anymore.

Faxion2011
Faxion2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Support Newgrounds! Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 08:03 AM Reply

At 9/17/12 06:30 PM, bigbadron wrote:
At 9/17/12 06:05 PM, TomFulp wrote: It's nice without ads, right?
super nice.

>>> i'll still miss some of them though.

Support Newgrounds!

Ekoi
Ekoi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Support Newgrounds! Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 08:49 AM Reply

To this day I still see dirty ads loaded on this page, as it has been for years. I'll turn ABP off when the ads stop trying to load malicious content.

RYNOL
RYNOL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Audiophile
Response to Support Newgrounds! Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 08:54 AM Reply

I wish I could. I really do. In the future when I become rich, I'll definitely be a supporter.

I need a sig.
PSN: gowow20

Osuka
Osuka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Animator
Response to Support Newgrounds! Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 08:55 AM Reply

At 9/17/12 03:20 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: I donated before the feature was even supposed to be live.

insert HIPSTER meme here

Drony
Drony
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to Support Newgrounds! Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 09:12 AM Reply

Oh alright.

BBS Signature
Abracadabra123
Abracadabra123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Filmmaker
Response to Support Newgrounds! Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 09:16 AM Reply

Tom, you're spending too much money for your website. We hard believe you need more money what we get.

Here some tips:

Stop making meetings all around the world. You'll save money and it's pointless.

I saw movies (mp4) above 100 megs. Remove mp4 movies will save money too.

Ads are showing when loading a flash. Remove it. We won't click on the ads anyway.

Robin Gravel's flash movies
http://robingravel.99k.org/eflash.h tm

Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to Support Newgrounds! Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 09:24 AM Reply

At 9/18/12 09:16 AM, Abracadabra123 wrote: Tom, you're spending too much money for your website. We hard believe you need more money what we get.

Here some tips:

Stop making meetings all around the world. You'll save money and it's pointless.

Ads are showing when loading a flash. Remove it. We won't click on the ads anyway.

1) I stopped reading at "Stop". The NG Meets are great and although I haven't been to one, Newgrounds is the only site that I've seen so far, where the admins and normal users and people in general go for meets. I've never heard of, say, Kongregate do this, and even if they did, I wouldn't know much about it.
2) Whut?!
3) Yeah, you won't. Developers earn money through the flash ads that they insert in the game a la the NG API. If really nobody clicked them, why would it even be there? Oh, and since you're not being a supporter and you're talking on others' behalf that "we" (really you) won't click on ads, you're just a leech. A large leech at that.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

BBS Signature
KyleRoberts
KyleRoberts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Programmer
Response to Support Newgrounds! Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 09:27 AM Reply

I coughed up 25 buckaroos within minutes of reading this topic. Anything I can do to support my favorite place on the web! And yes, if I could buy 2 of them, I would!

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Support Newgrounds! Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 09:29 AM Reply

At 9/18/12 09:16 AM, Abracadabra123 wrote: Tom, you're spending too much money for your website. We hard believe you need more money what we get.

You have no idea how much it costs to not only host a site like Newgrounds, but to pay everyone who works there. It's ridiculous because sites that are competing with Newgrounds are spending millions of dollars on their websites. Newgrounds isn't paying too much, it's barely doing so.

A huge factor in growing as a community is having presence in the relevant communities, so no, it's not pointless.

Cutting features to save money is a backwards and silly idea.

A lot of people click those ads. Also, developers are the ones that put these ads, and they're the ones that get most of the revenue from it.

RicePirate
RicePirate
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Animator
Response to Support Newgrounds! Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 09:57 AM Reply

NG for mother-fuckin' Life.

Done and done. Glad you finally made good on this feature ... now for some of that "other stuff" I was hasslin' you about...

<3

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Support Newgrounds! Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 10:02 AM Reply

At 9/18/12 04:08 AM, MiddleFingerRings wrote: I feel like using my store credit here would be cheating.

It's ok to use store credit - you earned it by contributing to the site. What we really need is for all the casual visitors to step up and help. You guys remember this movie?

• [S] Cascade.
    [S] Cascade. by mspandrew

The end of act 5 animation for Homestuck, on mspaintadventures.com

Score
    4.43 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

The creator set up a Kickstarter to make a game. In less than two weeks he raised $1.4 million from 13,500+ fans.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14293468/homestuck-adven ture-game

If 13,500 NG fans became supporters in a single year, let alone two weeks, we'd have roughly $337,500 and it would have an ENORMOUS positive impact on the site. We could cover expenses and sponsor a shit-ton of content, which in turn would bring tons of new people to the site and improve things for everyone.

RicePirate
RicePirate
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Animator
Response to Support Newgrounds! Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 10:04 AM Reply

At 9/18/12 10:02 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/18/12 04:08 AM, MiddleFingerRings wrote: I feel like using my store credit here would be cheating.
It's ok to use store credit - you earned it by contributing to the site. What we really need is for all the casual visitors to step up and help. You guys remember this movie?

Well I used store credit, and I thought about buying two ... Bah, now I feel bad.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Support Newgrounds! Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 10:06 AM Reply

At 9/18/12 09:16 AM, Abracadabra123 wrote: Stop making meetings all around the world. You'll save money and it's pointless.

Already have.

We can handle 100 meg movies.

Contributors are making money from those.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Support Newgrounds! Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 10:18 AM Reply

Ah, fuck it.

I'll scrape some cash together and grab that support icon as soon as possible.

LazyBucks
LazyBucks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to Support Newgrounds! Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 10:19 AM Reply

Anything for Tom!

I'm not actually at home where me card does be!
But once I am...

Anything for Tom! ^.^

ZenithQuinn
ZenithQuinn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Support Newgrounds! Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 10:23 AM Reply

At 9/18/12 10:06 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/18/12 09:16 AM, Abracadabra123 wrote: Stop making meetings all around the world. You'll save money and it's pointless.
Already have.

So no more Luis filled holidays? :(

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Support Newgrounds! Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 10:27 AM Reply

At 9/18/12 10:02 AM, TomFulp wrote: If 13,500 NG fans became supporters in a single year, let alone two weeks, we'd have roughly $337,500 and it would have an ENORMOUS positive impact on the site.

I think you should advertise the idea in different areas of the site. I dunno, maybe some banner on the frontpage or in the portals or something. As I'm sure you know, a LOT of NG fans are simply people who are here to play/review the games and movies, or advertise their music/art portfolio on here, and only a relatively smaller section of the community actually visit the forums. And you're proposing the idea on just the forums.

Sure 'Support Newgrounds' shows up under 'News and Events' in the frontpage but it's just a small box and it's not very conspicuous. Undoubtedly the forum members are on-the-whole more passionate for the site than your average flash gamer or something but considering that a lot of the site's traffic comes from the portals rather than the forums, it could be a good idea to branch out a little to those sections of the site.

Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for any Audio Portal-related help.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Support Newgrounds! Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 10:44 AM Reply

At 9/18/12 10:27 AM, Step wrote: I think you should advertise the idea in different areas of the site.

We'll be pushing it in more areas of the site - most likely in the banner space on every page.