00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Patrick8008 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Support Newgrounds!

56,103 Views | 286 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-18 08:49:18

To this day I still see dirty ads loaded on this page, as it has been for years. I'll turn ABP off when the ads stop trying to load malicious content.

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-18 08:54:24

I wish I could. I really do. In the future when I become rich, I'll definitely be a supporter.

I need a sig.

PSN: gowow20

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-18 08:55:33

At 9/17/12 03:20 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: I donated before the feature was even supposed to be live.

insert HIPSTER meme here

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-18 09:12:32

Oh alright.

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-18 09:16:05

Tom, you're spending too much money for your website. We hard believe you need more money what we get.

Here some tips:

Stop making meetings all around the world. You'll save money and it's pointless.

I saw movies (mp4) above 100 megs. Remove mp4 movies will save money too.

Ads are showing when loading a flash. Remove it. We won't click on the ads anyway.

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-18 09:24:23

At 9/18/12 09:16 AM, Abracadabra123 wrote: Tom, you're spending too much money for your website. We hard believe you need more money what we get.

Here some tips:

Stop making meetings all around the world. You'll save money and it's pointless.

Ads are showing when loading a flash. Remove it. We won't click on the ads anyway.

1) I stopped reading at "Stop". The NG Meets are great and although I haven't been to one, Newgrounds is the only site that I've seen so far, where the admins and normal users and people in general go for meets. I've never heard of, say, Kongregate do this, and even if they did, I wouldn't know much about it.
2) Whut?!
3) Yeah, you won't. Developers earn money through the flash ads that they insert in the game a la the NG API. If really nobody clicked them, why would it even be there? Oh, and since you're not being a supporter and you're talking on others' behalf that "we" (really you) won't click on ads, you're just a leech. A large leech at that.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-18 09:27:35

I coughed up 25 buckaroos within minutes of reading this topic. Anything I can do to support my favorite place on the web! And yes, if I could buy 2 of them, I would!

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-18 09:29:16

At 9/18/12 09:16 AM, Abracadabra123 wrote: Tom, you're spending too much money for your website. We hard believe you need more money what we get.

You have no idea how much it costs to not only host a site like Newgrounds, but to pay everyone who works there. It's ridiculous because sites that are competing with Newgrounds are spending millions of dollars on their websites. Newgrounds isn't paying too much, it's barely doing so.

A huge factor in growing as a community is having presence in the relevant communities, so no, it's not pointless.

Cutting features to save money is a backwards and silly idea.

A lot of people click those ads. Also, developers are the ones that put these ads, and they're the ones that get most of the revenue from it.

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-18 09:57:43

NG for mother-fuckin' Life.

Done and done. Glad you finally made good on this feature ... now for some of that "other stuff" I was hasslin' you about...

<3

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-18 10:02:25

At 9/18/12 04:08 AM, MiddleFingerRings wrote: I feel like using my store credit here would be cheating.

It's ok to use store credit - you earned it by contributing to the site. What we really need is for all the casual visitors to step up and help. You guys remember this movie?

The creator set up a Kickstarter to make a game. In less than two weeks he raised $1.4 million from 13,500+ fans.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14293468/homestuck-adven ture-game

If 13,500 NG fans became supporters in a single year, let alone two weeks, we'd have roughly $337,500 and it would have an ENORMOUS positive impact on the site. We could cover expenses and sponsor a shit-ton of content, which in turn would bring tons of new people to the site and improve things for everyone.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-18 10:04:35

At 9/18/12 10:02 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/18/12 04:08 AM, MiddleFingerRings wrote: I feel like using my store credit here would be cheating.
It's ok to use store credit - you earned it by contributing to the site. What we really need is for all the casual visitors to step up and help. You guys remember this movie?

Well I used store credit, and I thought about buying two ... Bah, now I feel bad.

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-18 10:06:26

At 9/18/12 09:16 AM, Abracadabra123 wrote: Stop making meetings all around the world. You'll save money and it's pointless.

Already have.

We can handle 100 meg movies.

Contributors are making money from those.

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-18 10:18:19

Ah, fuck it.

I'll scrape some cash together and grab that support icon as soon as possible.

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-18 10:19:16

Anything for Tom!

I'm not actually at home where me card does be!
But once I am...

Anything for Tom! ^.^

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-18 10:23:39

At 9/18/12 10:06 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/18/12 09:16 AM, Abracadabra123 wrote: Stop making meetings all around the world. You'll save money and it's pointless.
Already have.

So no more Luis filled holidays? :(

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-18 10:27:07

At 9/18/12 10:02 AM, TomFulp wrote: If 13,500 NG fans became supporters in a single year, let alone two weeks, we'd have roughly $337,500 and it would have an ENORMOUS positive impact on the site.

I think you should advertise the idea in different areas of the site. I dunno, maybe some banner on the frontpage or in the portals or something. As I'm sure you know, a LOT of NG fans are simply people who are here to play/review the games and movies, or advertise their music/art portfolio on here, and only a relatively smaller section of the community actually visit the forums. And you're proposing the idea on just the forums.

Sure 'Support Newgrounds' shows up under 'News and Events' in the frontpage but it's just a small box and it's not very conspicuous. Undoubtedly the forum members are on-the-whole more passionate for the site than your average flash gamer or something but considering that a lot of the site's traffic comes from the portals rather than the forums, it could be a good idea to branch out a little to those sections of the site.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-18 10:44:06

At 9/18/12 10:27 AM, Step wrote: I think you should advertise the idea in different areas of the site.

We'll be pushing it in more areas of the site - most likely in the banner space on every page.

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-18 11:11:12

Think of the hentai, people!

THINK OF THE HENTAI!!!

But seriously - I donated and I'm broke, so there's no excuse not to support Newgrounds as a site and as a community.

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-18 11:16:57

Tom, of course you have my support! I owe you guys for 12 years of free entertainment, after all!

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-18 11:17:22

At 9/18/12 11:11 AM, Timmy wrote: But seriously - I donated and I'm broke, so there's no excuse not to support Newgrounds as a site and as a community.

I owe you some beers!

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-18 11:20:42

Done and done. NG is one of my all time favorite sites so of course I want to support it.

Founder of the "Weird" Al club & Strong Badia. TMBG Club! MLP! Sig by: Ryan

Click the sig... YouTube My Let's Play Channel Game Sharks

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-18 11:22:11

Supporting NG is a no-brainer.

Do it.

Or else you're kindof a dickhead.

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-18 11:25:04

Dunno how much good it'll do, but I put up a thread on my crew's forum. Some are kids, some aren't. Maybe one or two of them will decide to stop being such assholes for a day and shell out 25 bucks. Probably not, who knows?

"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-18 11:46:25

When I saw that older games were being brought back to the "Game Front Page" it struck a fear in my heart. Support Purchase complete in hopes that the game portal can and will continue to be a waste of hours for me :)

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-18 11:50:29

At 9/18/12 11:46 AM, DJMannekin wrote: When I saw that older games were being brought back to the "Game Front Page" it struck a fear in my heart. Support Purchase complete in hopes that the game portal can and will continue to be a waste of hours for me :)

Yeah this month has just been... Really sparse in terms of great games. Part of that is less people making games because they are trying other stuff like mobile... Part could be sponsorships becoming more exclusive... But NG needs to get back into the sponsorship game. TRYING.

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-18 12:04:12

At 9/18/12 11:50 AM, TomFulp wrote: Part of that is less people making games because they are trying other stuff like mobile...

Plus I'm not helping much by working on a console game... I really have to finish one of my unfinished web games. :(

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-18 12:09:46

Have you ever thought of putting a Full Page ad in the NYT tom? that would be great exposure since we have been in NYT lists before.

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-18 12:31:48

At 9/17/12 03:19 PM, LiquidFire wrote: Of course I'll support newgrounds <3

I'm clicking on ads, Tom.

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-18 12:36:39

At 9/18/12 12:09 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: Have you ever thought of putting a Full Page ad in the NYT tom? that would be great exposure since we have been in NYT lists before.

That would cost $40,000... But if it brings us 1,600 supporters it would pay off. I WONDER.

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-18 12:37:31

BOOM. Done and done.

Grungy Mech action in 1940s Russia! Read Iron and Ice!