DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-10-20 22:23:52 Reply

At 10/20/12 04:23 PM, Escalus wrote:
At 10/20/12 03:04 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: Let me know what you think of this design:
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/hiryugouki/zafina-of-ede n-iv?context=ratings:etm.user:2848299.scouted:.offset:10
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/hiryugouki/i-told-you-i-
would-improve?context=ratings:etma.user:2848299.scouted:.off set:8

Looks too much like your past work, just a different hair style and armor placement. And the whole, hand on hip pose is getting really, really tiring out of you. Use a different pose, because you stick to a 3/4 view A LOT.

That's a fair assessment. Right now, though, this is only a concept design. I am going to do a lot of drawings of this character over the next week or so, and expect a lot of monster designs too. I want to get to drawing her really well to the point where I can do it from memory, so I can put her in different poses.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-10-21 11:02:11 Reply

At 10/13/12 03:35 PM, argile wrote:
At 10/13/12 02:25 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: I added bewbs...Now you can TELL she's a woman...Cuz I'm baws like that.
Okay it looks more clearer then the first, but all of the supposed shading or extra lines seem to make it distracting and busy,the line art at moment is kind of rough.

This is only a sketch, but I will definitely do something similar to this for Halloween, with cleaned up lines of course.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-10-21 11:22:10 Reply

I have a challenge for you all. Wait until my colored version of Gabriella's finalized design comes out for it, though. The challenge is to count how many times this symbol appears anywhere on Gabriella's armor, weapons, etc. First one to get it right gets a cool logo made out of their name. Let's have some fun with this thread, too, okay?

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-10-27 23:42:27 Reply

Something cool I threw together rather quickly. This is a health orb for my horror game Maya. Blue means you're just fine. Take one hit, and you go to green, Take another hit, you go to red. Take another hit, you go to black. Take one more hit after that, and you die. I am thinking about making a sprite sheet for this frame by frame to be used in the game, because I feel it fits the game rather nicely. Speaking of games, I have some new gauge design updates for my Sword of Yggdrasil HUD, and I have a sketch of the main character you will play as in Maya, Meredith ready to be used as art for the cover of the game.

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-10-27 23:43:28 Reply

Preview of my character in color for Sword of Yggdrasil. She has a braid in the back, so her hair is actually much longer.

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-10-27 23:45:16 Reply

Showin' off mah HUD gauges...

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-10-27 23:46:53 Reply

This is a much simpler logo than what I had originally planned, and personally, I think it looks a lot better because of its simplicity. What do you think?

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature
JackDCurleo
JackDCurleo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Artist
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-10-28 00:25:47 Reply

At 10/27/12 11:46 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: This is a much simpler logo than what I had originally planned, and personally, I think it looks a lot better because of its simplicity. What do you think?

I would highly recommend changing the name to something pronounceable to the average person. But hey, that's just me.

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-10-28 10:21:19 Reply

At 10/28/12 12:25 AM, JackDGreatest wrote:
At 10/27/12 11:46 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: This is a much simpler logo than what I had originally planned, and personally, I think it looks a lot better because of its simplicity. What do you think?
I would highly recommend changing the name to something pronounceable to the average person. But hey, that's just me.

That would ruin the story though, since the sword is what the story is about anyway, so unfortunately I cannot do that.

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-10-28 10:28:48 Reply

The sketch of Meredith. I am trying something new by doing more dynamic poses. Expect a lot more of her, and some more dynamic poses. Also, I am trying something new with expressions, something I am not all that good at, but in this case, I think it may have worked. I'm not sure. The expression I am trying to convey here is nervousness. Again, this is very new territory for me.

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-10-28 10:34:44 Reply

For those who don't know how to pronounce the name of my game, you say it like this:

Sword of (yihg-dra-zihl)

It's quite simple really.

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-02 14:23:34 Reply

There! I drew an expressive pose for once. Happy now? I bet you are.

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature
ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Artist
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-02 22:53:57 Reply

At 11/2/12 02:23 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: There! I drew an expressive pose for once. Happy now? I bet you are.

Here is a fun trick. When you have made an "expressive pose" remove the head. Is it the pose that is conveying the mood, or is it the head and face. Facial features are very powerful as far as dictating what mood a character is in. The eyebrows alone can completely alter the feeling of a character.

If you want the pose to show emotion however, if needs to be able to do so, independently, without relying on the head or face (the face mainly, the head position can also be a large part of the pose)

I quickly removed the head in your piece. Does this body language still read as dynamic and frightened without the tell-tale wide eyes, beads of sweat, and stuttering text?
Before you just jump to "yes" really ask yourself, "does it?"

My Art Thread Re-do

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-03 14:49:31 Reply

I quickly removed the head in your piece. Does this body language still read as dynamic and frightened without the tell-tale wide eyes, beads of sweat, and stuttering text?

Yes, it does. The knees are stiff, as if she was suddenly startled, she's holding the flashlight in the direction of the noise of something that startled her, and she is holding her hand to her chest.

BBS Signature
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-03 16:55:48 Reply

At 11/3/12 02:49 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:
Yes, it does. The knees are stiff, as if she was suddenly startled, she's holding the flashlight in the direction of the noise of something that startled her, and she is holding her hand to her chest.

I don't think Ornery would waste his time trying to tell you how to improve, if he felt like your piece was already perfect. Your eyes see what they want to see which means that it's hard to discern the truth.Personally I felt like the first girl with the flash light had more of an expressive feel due subtly.

The pose does what it has to do albeit without purpose. This thread has gone on for 10 pages, please try and finish a piece.

Try and rework the angle, to give off the feeling of fear with just a basic mannequin. I really don't care if you post 15 different mannequins, post them all and someone here will tell you the best one.

3DS FC: 4442-0200-7535
So yeah follow this neat little do-dad to get a free trip to my Art Thread. I also endorse Retsupurae on my own volition

BBS Signature
ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Artist
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-03 18:08:02 Reply

At 11/3/12 02:49 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:

If you stuck a sword in one hand and a shield in the other, she could be in a fighting pose. Or use a microphone instead of a flashlight and she is giving an interview. Nothing about the body position itself is saying fear to me. Fear tends to have 2 different poses. Flight - the person is cowering away or actively avoiding conflict with the thing scaring them, or startled - a very drastic recoil while still facing the fear.

With the props and face you had its a bit of an uneasy anticipation, lose the head and it becomes possible apprehensive curiosity. But its not very dramatic or stimulating either way, and despite being able to describe many different possible attitudes its not terribly expressive either as a pose. Hell a standing perfectly upright in full frontal anatomical pose (arms down, palms out, legs shoulder width apart) can have a whole breadth of different attitudes, but doesn't mean its an expressive pose.

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-03 18:58:18 Reply

With the props and face you had its a bit of an uneasy anticipation, lose the head and it becomes possible apprehensive curiosity. But its not very dramatic or stimulating either way, and despite being able to describe many different possible attitudes its not terribly expressive either as a pose. Hell a standing perfectly upright in full frontal anatomical pose (arms down, palms out, legs shoulder width apart) can have a whole breadth of different attitudes, but doesn't mean its an expressive pose.

Well, I guess if you put it that way, I can understand that much. What do you suggest I do to make her more "afraid" then?

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-03 19:30:19 Reply

I kinda wanna talk about this for a bit. As I was drawing this, I realized that this style...Just feels right to me. I went way out of my comfort zone with proportions that make her about six heads tall, and for some reason, I like this character a lot. I like the simplified charm I get from it. I think I will draw more poses with her sometime soon, but for now, I am going to draw more pictures this way in different poses for like...a week or so...I dunno...I'll keep messing around with it. I had a blast drawing this, btw.

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature
Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-03 19:59:43 Reply

At 11/3/12 07:30 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: I kinda wanna talk about this for a bit. As I was drawing this, I realized that this style...Just feels right to me.

I prefer it to your normal style, it's got a cartoon-y appeal to it. What stands out the most is the feet, I think large feet balances out the rest of your proportions and makes them flow better. I think it's too "sailor moon" looking to work if you were trying to do something dark or otherwise serious, but I think it works much better than your normal style.

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-03 20:06:28 Reply

At 11/3/12 07:59 PM, Jester wrote:
At 11/3/12 07:30 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:
I prefer it to your normal style, it's got a cartoon-y appeal to it. What stands out the most is the feet, I think large feet balances out the rest of your proportions and makes them flow better. I think it's too "sailor moon" looking to work if you were trying to do something dark or otherwise serious, but I think it works much better than your normal style.

That's all I needed to read. ;) I am glad to find a fellow cartoon-enthusiast who appreciates what I have done here, and that is pretty much all the motivation I need to keep pursuing this style.

Anyways, I agree wholeheartedly. It was a struggle to get myself to actually draw the bigger feets, mainly because it is something I have never been comfortable with. This style was heavily inspired by Puyo Pop Fever (look it up and play it if you have the time), mainly in the outfit because they're all pretty over-the-top.

This is the art style I will use for parody games, one of which I have officially named "Bubble Battle". I'll explain more about it later.

BBS Signature
test-object
test-object
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-03 20:42:35 Reply

At 11/3/12 07:30 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: I kinda wanna talk about this for a bit. As I was drawing this, I realized that this style...Just feels right to me.

looks pretty good.

A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-03 22:06:43 Reply

At 11/3/12 08:42 PM, test-object wrote:
looks pretty good.

Thank you! :)

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-03 22:19:36 Reply

I got asked for a collaboration project to draw things that correlate to words...Should I do it?

BBS Signature
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-03 22:23:31 Reply

At 11/3/12 10:19 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: I got asked for a collaboration project to draw things that correlate to words...Should I do it?

yes, you learn new things in collab.

So yeah follow this neat little do-dad to get a free trip to my Art Thread. I also endorse Retsupurae on my own volition

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-03 22:31:36 Reply

At 11/3/12 10:23 PM, Absinthe wrote:
At 11/3/12 10:19 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: I got asked for a collaboration project to draw things that correlate to words...Should I do it?
yes, you learn new things in collab.

I guess I can...The guy who was hosting it PM'd me and said my work will get seen a lot of times...I dunno though.

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-04 21:20:51 Reply

I shaded Priscilla to get a sense of her color palette. You guys suggest what colors I should make her and I will work with the color palette I find most appealing.

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-06 00:46:48 Reply

FINALLY FINISHED!!! WHEW!!! What a work load...I finished most of it in about...I would say about five hours total. Still, I think she turned out cute! Say hello to Priscilla fully colored!

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Programmer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-06 10:44:56 Reply

At 32 minutes ago, HiryuGouki wrote: Please stop voting on my art. I know it's still you messing with me. Do me a favor and stop it. Thank you.

nope.

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-06 10:52:45 Reply

At 11/6/12 10:44 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 32 minutes ago, HiryuGouki wrote: Please stop voting on my art. I know it's still you messing with me. Do me a favor and stop it. Thank you.
nope.

Yep. You're a bully abusing your power and you know it, and I even have evidence to prove it.

I seriously doubt you're smart enough to cover this up, now are you?

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-06 11:10:35 Reply

At 11/6/12 10:52 AM, HiryuGouki wrote:
At 11/6/12 10:44 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
nope.
Yep. You're a bully abusing your power and you know it, and I even have evidence to prove it.

I seriously doubt you're smart enough to cover this up, now are you?

This isn't like the election, votes don't really matter, personal merit does. Now for a little criticism, use a triangle to indicate where the breasts and nipples should be placed.

BBS Signature