00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MisterBig67425 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

My Art Thread Re-do

42,335 Views | 359 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-02 22:53:57

At 11/2/12 02:23 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: There! I drew an expressive pose for once. Happy now? I bet you are.

Here is a fun trick. When you have made an "expressive pose" remove the head. Is it the pose that is conveying the mood, or is it the head and face. Facial features are very powerful as far as dictating what mood a character is in. The eyebrows alone can completely alter the feeling of a character.

If you want the pose to show emotion however, if needs to be able to do so, independently, without relying on the head or face (the face mainly, the head position can also be a large part of the pose)

I quickly removed the head in your piece. Does this body language still read as dynamic and frightened without the tell-tale wide eyes, beads of sweat, and stuttering text?
Before you just jump to "yes" really ask yourself, "does it?"

My Art Thread Re-do

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-03 14:49:31

I quickly removed the head in your piece. Does this body language still read as dynamic and frightened without the tell-tale wide eyes, beads of sweat, and stuttering text?

Yes, it does. The knees are stiff, as if she was suddenly startled, she's holding the flashlight in the direction of the noise of something that startled her, and she is holding her hand to her chest.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-03 16:55:48

At 11/3/12 02:49 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:
Yes, it does. The knees are stiff, as if she was suddenly startled, she's holding the flashlight in the direction of the noise of something that startled her, and she is holding her hand to her chest.

I don't think Ornery would waste his time trying to tell you how to improve, if he felt like your piece was already perfect. Your eyes see what they want to see which means that it's hard to discern the truth.Personally I felt like the first girl with the flash light had more of an expressive feel due subtly.

The pose does what it has to do albeit without purpose. This thread has gone on for 10 pages, please try and finish a piece.

Try and rework the angle, to give off the feeling of fear with just a basic mannequin. I really don't care if you post 15 different mannequins, post them all and someone here will tell you the best one.

My YouTube Channel feel free to support me on Ko-Fi

I do video essays on ATLUS games

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-03 18:08:02

At 11/3/12 02:49 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:

If you stuck a sword in one hand and a shield in the other, she could be in a fighting pose. Or use a microphone instead of a flashlight and she is giving an interview. Nothing about the body position itself is saying fear to me. Fear tends to have 2 different poses. Flight - the person is cowering away or actively avoiding conflict with the thing scaring them, or startled - a very drastic recoil while still facing the fear.

With the props and face you had its a bit of an uneasy anticipation, lose the head and it becomes possible apprehensive curiosity. But its not very dramatic or stimulating either way, and despite being able to describe many different possible attitudes its not terribly expressive either as a pose. Hell a standing perfectly upright in full frontal anatomical pose (arms down, palms out, legs shoulder width apart) can have a whole breadth of different attitudes, but doesn't mean its an expressive pose.

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-03 18:58:18

With the props and face you had its a bit of an uneasy anticipation, lose the head and it becomes possible apprehensive curiosity. But its not very dramatic or stimulating either way, and despite being able to describe many different possible attitudes its not terribly expressive either as a pose. Hell a standing perfectly upright in full frontal anatomical pose (arms down, palms out, legs shoulder width apart) can have a whole breadth of different attitudes, but doesn't mean its an expressive pose.

Well, I guess if you put it that way, I can understand that much. What do you suggest I do to make her more "afraid" then?

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-03 19:30:19

I kinda wanna talk about this for a bit. As I was drawing this, I realized that this style...Just feels right to me. I went way out of my comfort zone with proportions that make her about six heads tall, and for some reason, I like this character a lot. I like the simplified charm I get from it. I think I will draw more poses with her sometime soon, but for now, I am going to draw more pictures this way in different poses for like...a week or so...I dunno...I'll keep messing around with it. I had a blast drawing this, btw.

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-03 19:59:43

At 11/3/12 07:30 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: I kinda wanna talk about this for a bit. As I was drawing this, I realized that this style...Just feels right to me.

I prefer it to your normal style, it's got a cartoon-y appeal to it. What stands out the most is the feet, I think large feet balances out the rest of your proportions and makes them flow better. I think it's too "sailor moon" looking to work if you were trying to do something dark or otherwise serious, but I think it works much better than your normal style.

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-03 20:06:28

At 11/3/12 07:59 PM, Jester wrote:
At 11/3/12 07:30 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:
I prefer it to your normal style, it's got a cartoon-y appeal to it. What stands out the most is the feet, I think large feet balances out the rest of your proportions and makes them flow better. I think it's too "sailor moon" looking to work if you were trying to do something dark or otherwise serious, but I think it works much better than your normal style.

That's all I needed to read. ;) I am glad to find a fellow cartoon-enthusiast who appreciates what I have done here, and that is pretty much all the motivation I need to keep pursuing this style.

Anyways, I agree wholeheartedly. It was a struggle to get myself to actually draw the bigger feets, mainly because it is something I have never been comfortable with. This style was heavily inspired by Puyo Pop Fever (look it up and play it if you have the time), mainly in the outfit because they're all pretty over-the-top.

This is the art style I will use for parody games, one of which I have officially named "Bubble Battle". I'll explain more about it later.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-03 20:42:35

At 11/3/12 07:30 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: I kinda wanna talk about this for a bit. As I was drawing this, I realized that this style...Just feels right to me.

looks pretty good.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-03 22:06:43

At 11/3/12 08:42 PM, test-object wrote:
looks pretty good.

Thank you! :)

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-03 22:19:36

I got asked for a collaboration project to draw things that correlate to words...Should I do it?

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-03 22:23:31

At 11/3/12 10:19 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: I got asked for a collaboration project to draw things that correlate to words...Should I do it?

yes, you learn new things in collab.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-03 22:31:36

At 11/3/12 10:23 PM, Absinthe wrote:
At 11/3/12 10:19 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: I got asked for a collaboration project to draw things that correlate to words...Should I do it?
yes, you learn new things in collab.

I guess I can...The guy who was hosting it PM'd me and said my work will get seen a lot of times...I dunno though.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-04 21:20:51

I shaded Priscilla to get a sense of her color palette. You guys suggest what colors I should make her and I will work with the color palette I find most appealing.

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-06 00:46:48

FINALLY FINISHED!!! WHEW!!! What a work load...I finished most of it in about...I would say about five hours total. Still, I think she turned out cute! Say hello to Priscilla fully colored!

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-06 10:44:56

At 32 minutes ago, HiryuGouki wrote: Please stop voting on my art. I know it's still you messing with me. Do me a favor and stop it. Thank you.

nope.

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-06 10:52:45

At 11/6/12 10:44 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 32 minutes ago, HiryuGouki wrote: Please stop voting on my art. I know it's still you messing with me. Do me a favor and stop it. Thank you.
nope.

Yep. You're a bully abusing your power and you know it, and I even have evidence to prove it.

I seriously doubt you're smart enough to cover this up, now are you?

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-06 11:10:35

At 11/6/12 10:52 AM, HiryuGouki wrote:
At 11/6/12 10:44 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
nope.
Yep. You're a bully abusing your power and you know it, and I even have evidence to prove it.

This isn't like the election, votes don't really matter, personal merit does. Now for a little criticism, use a triangle to indicate where the breasts and nipples should be placed.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-06 11:16:32

This isn't like the election, votes don't really matter, personal merit does. Now for a little criticism, use a triangle to indicate where the breasts and nipples should be placed.

How do you do that?

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-06 11:35:13

At 11/6/12 10:52 AM, HiryuGouki wrote: Yep. You're a bully abusing your power and you know it, and I even have evidence to prove it.

LOL stickam WOO what happens on one site and on NG are completely different and and the voting system has been like this forever and has been abused since its inception. no matter how much boo hooing you do won't fix that.

even though your average score is like 1.2 something now overall.

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-06 12:01:27

At 11/6/12 11:16 AM, HiryuGouki wrote:
How do you do that?

Look at some actual naked women on google and draw a triangle using the nipples as the lower points of the triangle. You would already know this if you went to any of the links in this thread. But you don't care about them.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-06 12:28:38

At 11/6/12 12:01 PM, Absinthe wrote:
Look at some actual naked women on google and draw a triangle using the nipples as the lower points of the triangle. You would already know this if you went to any of the links in this thread. But you don't care about them.

Yes I do.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-06 12:42:12

Review by ILoveNantes:

same bland, dead, spastic expression as always, a true hiryugouki classic...
better than all your other shit drawings but still shit nonethless, forever alone, hope you bask in the fact that I log in every day after voting resets just to zero bomb your soulless garbage
love, nantes

0/5

Wow...She actually waits for voting to reset just to vote zero on my work...Well...You know what that means, right everyone? So pathetic. And look at some of the reviews I left for her recently after TRYING to reconcile with her:

An actual review by me:

You're getting better! My suggestion would be to cover up her forehead more, and make sure her face is more curvy. But, that's pretty much it.

3/5 stars

Another Review by me:

Much better than last time!
IN response to the PM you sent me, you were an artist to begin with. I was just mad at everyone and everything because of all of the trolling I've been getting. Yes, I do realize now that I should not have said what I said, and I wish to try and reconcile my mistakes. So, onto the piece.
You are improving quite a bit, and while it does have its flaws, such as the somewhat disorderly hair and the odd angle at which her head is at, I do see some potential in you.
Oh, and it only takes your will to draw and create to be an artist.

4/5 stars, and this was in apology to her for being such a douchebag earlier a few months prior...

Truly pathetic in my opinion, ESPECIALLY after I have tried to reconcile for being a huge douche-nozzle myself. Only one of her submissions has a zero out of five on it from me, and that was out of a fit of rage after being trolled pretty hard. Hell, I even apologized for that shit later in my Katherine V2 review.

I honestly don't know why people do this to me, ESPECIALLY AFTER I try to reconcile for being the stubborn dick-wad I had been. It's disappointing to say the least.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-06 12:51:27

At 11/6/12 12:45 PM, Escalus wrote:
At 11/6/12 12:28 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:
Yes I do.
Absinthe has a point, if you did care, you would've already knew this information based on the links that you were given time and time again, the fact that you had to ask "How do I do that?" means that you didn't even bother to take the time and learn.

Eh...I forgot about it, but yeah, I agree. It's stupid for me to have to ask. But, I am sure I will figure it out eventually. Now, I was wondering if you guys could stop beating me up all the time. Could you do me that much? I would really like to feel like I matter in this community, and right now...I kinda don't.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-06 13:06:23

At 11/6/12 12:59 PM, Escalus wrote:
At 11/6/12 12:51 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:
At 11/6/12 12:45 PM, Escalus wrote:
At 11/6/12 12:28 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:
Yes I do.
Absinthe has a point, if you did care, you would've already knew this information based on the links that you were given time and time again, the fact that you had to ask "How do I do that?" means that you didn't even bother to take the time and learn.
But, I am sure I will figure it out eventually.
Instead of procrastinating, it's better to learn "NOW" than to figure it out "Eventually" people don't have time to bother with others that don't even want to help themselves. You were given help, you brushed it off (Of course you'd "forget" because you didn't bother looking at it when it was given to you).

I get it alright? Yeah, that was stupid of me, big oopsy, whatever. Now please stop beating up on me. I would like to feel like I belong here, but you guys keep beating me up over stupid shit. Seriously, knock it off. I just want to feel like I belong here, okay? Could you do me that much?

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-06 13:20:42

I made this awesome textbox using very simple techniques that ended up contributing to the overall look of it. I dare say, it's pretty awesome looking.

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-06 13:26:44

This one was a piece o' work, lemme tell ya. Most of this was just practice, though. I found a way to make shapes a whole lot easier by simply selecting something and creating...a vector...mask...Welp! Time to go vector Priscilla!

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-06 13:49:23

No one is beating you up over "stupid shit", if anything they're trying to make you see things that you obviously ignored months ago and are still crying for help about (ex: Absinthe telling you how to fix something that you should've already knew about and shouldn't have asked for help for if you just took the time to educate yourself)
If anything "Knowing isn't Stupid shit"(tm) (copyright Escalus)... You want to know what "stupid shit" is, crying over getting zeroes, crying that people are harping on you because you don't want to help yourself when they've tried to help you over and over, you really want people to stop getting on your case? Start hitting the books, people can't make your art for you.

I meant the abusive reviews from people like ILoveNantes. I also mean the trolling and zero-bombers who unfairly attack my work for one unfair reason or another.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-06 15:21:01

That's a small minority though. You have internet nut-punchers that want to attack you and that should not interfere with your "progress." I told you in our discussion that NG is tough, and getting bunny slipper soft critiques are hard to come by. I will tell you that there is not a single person on the NG Art forum or NG in general that will tell you your art is perfect, or above mediocre because it's obviously not.

If you want to attain respect of the other users means you actually have to give a shit about the NG community. No one here is barring you from the Art Forum Lounge, no one is telling you to permanently leave, no one is calling you a weeabo faggot, and no mod is trigger happy.

Now there's a simple two road choice and a path needed to be taken.

1.Quit and never come back
2.Listen to people and study on your own

It's like studying for an exam, the tutors are great and will be happy to help you, but you have to put the effort in.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-11-06 16:27:48

This really all reminds me of when I used to copy characters out of the Beano. I was fanatic about that cartoony style and refused to do anything else.

I just want you to know Hiryu, that I can draw a better cartoon now that I go to life drawing classes than if I didn't. Even a cartoon has a skeleton that you must imagine. Even a cartoon requires thought out posing from the bottom up. I think you'll really really get a lot out of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHvQIMBjB78&feature=player_em bedded

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature