New Topic Respond to this Topic
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 10:49:30 Reply

I haven't read all of this or your other threads so this may have been said before but: I understand that you're not interested in pursuing realism with your drawings, you've used style as an excuse a couple of times which really is fine with me. By all counts you should draw what YOU want to draw, not what other poeple tell you to. HOWEVER; if you struggle with poses it will do you good to study anatomy, real anatomy that is. Even if your goal isn't to draw anatomy studies, they will help you understand how the body works and thus how certain poses do/don't work. In addition to the stricter anatomy exercises doing gesture drawings will help with that too.

I agree to a certain extent, but you have to understand that I should allow myself as much freedom as possible, even during practice. I am too fond of drawing cartoons to give them up now, even during study. I think as long as I gain an understanding of how to draw poses, I think I should be allowed to draw however I want. Either way, I will still be learning how to draw poses and things.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
DrawFall
DrawFall
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 11:04:12 Reply

If you study anatomy and posing with just cartoon characters, you will improve, albeit VERY slowly. If you study real anatomy, you'll improve much quicker and you can easily apply them to cartoons. Someone else already mentioned this, but I thought it'd be good to reiterate it. You have to know the rules inside and out before you can break them. I like using Picasso as an example. He exaggerates form VERY much, and the depth and anatomy he depicts varies GREATLY from reality. Some like it, some don't. However, he didn't just start painting like that right off the bat. He is a VERY skilled painter in portraying a realistic form, and he truly understands form and how to abstract it.

Even Picasso, someone who is very famous for unrealistic and anatomically odd portraits did studies of the human form. Both these images are by Picasso.

http://www.nga.gov/images/noncol/torsofs.jpg

http://www.inminds.com/picasso-weeping-woman-1937.jpg

f r i c k e n a w e s o m e

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 13:00:58 Reply

At 9/3/12 11:04 AM, DrawFall wrote: If you study anatomy and posing with just cartoon characters, you will improve, albeit VERY slowly.

Nonsense, I say. As long as I am learning the rules when I am doing what I want to do, I think overall, it improves my work. Besides, my cartoon works mostly strive to follow proper anatomy GENERAL rules, as in how things should look when bent, etc. My only concern is whether or not a piece, stylized or not looks right when drawn in a certain pose. Since poses are what I am struggling with, that's what I am going to be working on, regardless of style.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 13:22:52 Reply

At 9/3/12 01:02 PM, Amaranthus wrote:
At 9/3/12 01:00 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:
At 9/3/12 11:04 AM, DrawFall wrote: If you study anatomy and posing with just cartoon characters, you will improve, albeit VERY slowly.
So you're just gonna ignore the links he posted here?

Oh God no. Those links will help me practice poses. However, I do feel like regardless of what style I am drawing in, I will improve about 200% by the end of the year, having learned a lot more poses. Poses are my main area of struggling, so having those links could be a major factor of how much I improve by next year.

BBS Signature
Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 13:29:39 Reply

At 9/3/12 01:22 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:
At 9/3/12 01:02 PM, Amaranthus wrote:
At 9/3/12 01:00 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:
So you're just gonna ignore the links he posted here?
Oh God no. Those links will help me practice poses. However, I do feel like regardless of what style I am drawing in, I will improve about 200% by the end of the year, having learned a lot more poses. Poses are my main area of struggling, so having those links could be a major factor of how much I improve by next year.

NO! That is not the main are of your struggle, you lack a basic understanding of the human body, your arms are all over the place, your faces all look deformed and the legs on most of your images are proportionally incorrect. Dude do whatever you want but if you're just going to ignore everything everyone tells you, just forget about posting here, it truly makes no sense, we are going on an endless loop and it's getting tiring. I personally will thrown in the towel, you want to learn your way then fine keep posting your shitty anime drawings and never improve but if you actually want to improve listen and take notes on what we are saying.

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 13:32:58 Reply

NO! That is not the main are of your struggle, you lack a basic understanding of the human body, your arms are all over the place, your faces all look deformed and the legs on most of your images are proportionally incorrect. Dude do whatever you want but if you're just going to ignore everything everyone tells you, just forget about posting here, it truly makes no sense, we are going on an endless loop and it's getting tiring. I personally will thrown in the towel, you want to learn your way then fine keep posting your shitty anime drawings and never improve but if you actually want to improve listen and take notes on what we are saying.

I think as long as I am learning whatever way, I think I will improve. Besides, it's not like I can't switch styles or anything. I have been practicing a new cartoon style inspired by Alex Ahad. I think as long as I learn anatomy, and learn how it's supposed to look, I can draw in whatever style I please. That is not for YOU to dictate. That is MY decision. I know you're trying to help, and I appreciate it, but you should be encouraging me to get better, no matter what style I choose to draw. Good day sir.

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 13:36:54 Reply

DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A FLAME WAR. Do not start fights. I will use the links you provide, but do realize, that I will be practicing my way in whatever style I want to draw. Yes, I will post the OCCASIONAL realistic face or body part, etc, but do not expect ANY full figure drawings in a realistic style. You're asking too much by that point.

DO NOT TURN THIS THREAD INTO AN ARGUMENT THREAD. THIS IS A SHOWCASE OF MY ART, NOT ANYTHING MORE. IF YOU HAVE A COMMENT, OR LINKS TO PROVIDE, I WILL USE THEM, BUT DO NOT EXPECT T POST WHATEVER YOU WANT. IF I WANT TO DRAW SOMETHING STYLIZED, I WILL DO SO. WHAT STYLE I DRAW IS NOT YOUR BUSINESS.

BBS Signature
BeckyRawr
BeckyRawr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 13:44:25 Reply

Note to all artists, please ignore this thread, there are other people on this forum who actually want help and they are being ignored because of this.

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 13:56:31 Reply

At 9/3/12 01:44 PM, BeckyRawr wrote: Note to all artists, please ignore this thread, there are other people on this forum who actually want help and they are being ignored because of this.

You're not helping. Oh, and here's a sketch I just finished. Yes, I used a reference, and yes, it was a photograph, and yes, it's realism...Er...It's a diagram...Figure...Something...

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 14:02:47 Reply

Stock by Mr. J Rannum...Diagram by me.

See those red lines? That's how I map out how parts are supposed to look.

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature
Ludic
Ludic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 14:23:44 Reply

Recommended read for you to understand figure drawing and what you're doing wrong;

http://www.scribd.com/doc/51197336/Figure-Drawing-Design-and -Invention

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 14:26:31 Reply

At 9/3/12 02:23 PM, Ludic wrote: Recommended read for you to understand figure drawing and what you're doing wrong;

Google Chrome loads it way too slow. I think I'll stick with photos for now. I am practicing poses using some of the links that were provided to me. While I am doing that, I am thinking about drawing this with a futuristic background:

If I'm going to keep challenging myself, might as well go big or go home, right?

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 14:27:40 Reply

Did you see what BeckyRawr posted?
Seriously, you guys are wasting your time.

That was completely unnecessary.

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 14:30:48 Reply

Well, ladies and gentlemen? You have turned this into a giant flame war yet again. I hope you're proud of yourselves. To those who are being GENUINELY HELPFUL, thank you. To everyone else, GTFO.

BBS Signature
test-object
test-object
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 14:43:09 Reply

At 9/3/12 02:30 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: Well, ladies and gentlemen? You have turned this into a giant flame war yet again. I hope you're proud of yourselves. To those who are being GENUINELY HELPFUL, thank you. To everyone else, GTFO.

No-one started shit. Shut up and make sure your next 10 posts all have a selfdrawn image attached to them.
You're walking on VERY thin ice right now, Gouki.

A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 14:59:41 Reply

*Bites Apple*

I messaged TOAS yesterday about this topic potentially not going anywhere, and I was right.

Just to let you know OP you're topics actually help other artist by giving new resources to people who are actually willing to learn and embrace change. I showed this thread to a few of my friends who are going to Art/Graphic Design schools and we all agree that you have that mentality no artist should ever have.

You can't take criticism and are completely dismissive to what people have to say, you lack the ability to read subtext, and worst of all you cannot exit your comfort zone.

I cannot speak for anyone else but myself so I will say this.

I don't want an apology, or be thanked for the free resources and wasted heartbeats typing these responses. What I wanted as a fellow "artist" were results from those wasted responses.

If you wanna learn "Your Way" that's fine, just don't expect praise.

TLDR:

Absinthe: I wanna see results

Possible Hiryu response: I learn best MY WAY, but thanks for posting I really appreciate it. (see how much of a dick you sound)

This is my last response to any one of your topics and I hope this one gets closed. To all the other users heed this warning, HiryuGouki doesn't care what you have to say, he simply wants to be praised for amateur hour work that is based off of SkullGirls.

Below is an example of me wasting my time to help him in another thread, if you want these resources just look up my post history.

My Art Thread Re-do

3DS FC: 4442-0200-7535
So yeah follow this neat little do-dad to get a free trip to my Art Thread. I also endorse Retsupurae on my own volition

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 15:39:30 Reply

At 9/3/12 03:10 PM, Escalus wrote:
At 9/3/12 02:59 PM, Absinthe wrote: This is my last response to any one of your topics and I hope this one gets closed. To all the other users heed this warning, HiryuGouki doesn't care what you have to say, he simply wants to be praised for amateur hour work that is based off of SkullGirls.
You're my hero/heroine

Just go away and stop posting on my thread, Escalus. Get out and leave me alone.

BBS Signature
Nebula
Nebula
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 15:49:50 Reply

Oh Hiryu you drama magnet.

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 15:57:56 Reply

You seem to have a problem with me agreeing with someone who has very valid points, you're just mad because Absinthe told you things you never want to hear.

I am mad, because, let me level with you. In all honesty, even though I should not let it clout my judgment, I get attached to my work, regardless of what it is, if I feel I have done a good job on it. This is why I have such a hard time with critique sometimes. I simply become attached to my work, because I feel proud of myself for drawing whatever it is I drew, which is why I get upset when someone tells me I shouldn't be drawing a certain way. I will draw realism, but only for practice. I will not be posting my realistic works on here. I will, however post my stylized works. Sorry for being a real artist who gets attached to his work all the time. I get that way when I am proud of something, so get off my back.

Also, don't try and tell me to draw realism. I get pissed when you bring that up, in all honesty. I want to have that freedom to draw my style, because, again, I am proud of it. And I realize that I am not the best. Even so, you should respect my decision to draw what I want, and if you want to help me improve it, by giving me links, and so on, just know, that I will use them, but only for private works. You will see improvement from me. You just have to try and tolerate the fact that yeah, I get attached to my work, and that's just the way I am. I really, really, really cannot help that. As much as I wish I could, it's just not going to happen the way YOU want it to.

BBS Signature
Nebula
Nebula
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 16:16:21 Reply

Did you know variety is the spice of life Hiryu? I upload more than photomanips on my DA to make the gallery less boring.

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 16:35:24 Reply

At 9/3/12 04:16 PM, StarPaladin wrote: Did you know variety is the spice of life Hiryu? I upload more than photomanips on my DA to make the gallery less boring.

Yeah, which is why I am trying varying types of subject matter. I have some sketches of monsters and things like that. I also have logo designs, space art and other stuff.

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 16:37:10 Reply

^And THIS is why you don't deserve the help you receive. There is nothing bad in improvement, an artist who is proud of his work is nice, but being able to detach themselves from their work is even better. You come up with so many damn excuses it's ludicrous.

It's a skill I have to work on, I know. My art makes me proud. Is it wrong for me to enjoy my art and become attached to what I do? Is that wrong? I didn't know doing art because I enjoy it and want to make a living off of it someday was wrong and evil. How could I have been so stupid?

BBS Signature
Lucky
Lucky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 16:40:45 Reply

At 9/3/12 02:23 PM, Ludic wrote: Recommended read for you to understand figure drawing and what you're doing wrong;

I've had this book for so long and I still haven't been able to process all the information it gives, it's an amazing book I highly recommend!
Also to the original poster, yes last time there was a flame war, now its just people being overall frustrated with you for not listening
You know I'm all about personal expression and the right to draw whatever the hell you want,BUT basic understanding in fundamantels IS something you should force down your throat if you're serious about drawing. You should spend months and maybe more practising all the things people said you lack like composition, perspective, construction, lighting before you start experimenting.
I was also in your stage and it took a bootcamp of fuck style, learn principles to get me out of that stage. THEN when you feel more confident with perspective and seing things in 3d you can go back and start experimenting and developing 'style'. Really style is something you should never pursue, it comes naturally to you after you pick up enough basics and influences, after you figure out what you like and dont like to draw. Never try to MAKE it happen, if one day someone goes "wow thats a great style" pick that up as a hint that it is indeed developing and keep doing what you're doing.
But again basics first.

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 16:52:43 Reply

At 9/3/12 04:40 PM, Lucky wrote:

I've had this book for so long and I still haven't been able to process all the information it gives, it's an amazing book I highly recommend!
Also to the original poster, yes last time there was a flame war, now its just people being overall frustrated with you for not listening
You know I'm all about personal expression and the right to draw whatever the hell you want,BUT basic understanding in fundamantels IS something you should force down your throat if you're serious about drawing. You should spend months and maybe more practising all the things people said you lack like composition, perspective, construction, lighting before you start experimenting.
I was also in your stage and it took a bootcamp of fuck style, learn principles to get me out of that stage. THEN when you feel more confident with perspective and seing things in 3d you can go back and start experimenting and developing 'style'. Really style is something you should never pursue, it comes naturally to you after you pick up enough basics and influences, after you figure out what you like and dont like to draw. Never try to MAKE it happen, if one day someone goes "wow thats a great style" pick that up as a hint that it is indeed developing and keep doing what you're doing.
But again basics first.

Again, not dropping the cartoons, but I will practice these sorts of things. IN PRIVATE. I know I am going to take heat for this, but I will practice both what I want AND what I have to at the same time. By mastering perspective, the angles of my drawings will get better. By practicing backgrounds, I'll be able to give more depth to my pieces. I WANT to do these things at the same time. Sorry if it sounds like I am brushing it off to you, but I want to do what I want to do. That's just how I am. If I feel that practicing what I want and what I have to at the same time is going to help, then I'll do it, no ifs ands or buts. I want to draw cartoons, and I will keep doing so. Nothing you say will convince me otherwise. But yes, the things I am struggling with I WILL work on. Maybe a few months down the road, you'll see me draw a fight scene using my own art style. I agree that things like perspective will take a while to master. THAT I am willing to work with, but dropping cartoons is a no-go.

I will get better and I will draw better. I already know a lot of fundamentals. I do study these things, but you have to offer me some breathing room and just let me draw what I want. But, I'll get better at drawing it all the while. As long I am learning, that should be all that matters to you.

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 16:55:01 Reply

At 9/3/12 04:49 PM, Escalus wrote: Also, I have to ask you this. Hiryu, do you have some form of Autism? I'm serious, because I can't help but to think that you're mentally handicapped.

Go screw yourself. I am not autistic.

BBS Signature
Felis
Felis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 17:13:41 Reply

Jesus christ knock it off.

This is an art thread, not a bickering thread. The topic of whether or not the author takes criticism well or actually listens should not take up an entire page of an art display thread. If you want to attack him, do it in the PM system. Otherwise, shut up.

As a side note, accusing somebody of being autistic is an incredibly nasty thing to do. There's being rough with criticism, and then there's needless harassment of users. Asking if somebody's not right in the head is helpful to nobody.

I have nothing to say that is at all relevant.

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 17:19:36 Reply

At 9/3/12 05:13 PM, Felis wrote: Jesus christ knock it off.

This is an art thread, not a bickering thread. The topic of whether or not the author takes criticism well or actually listens should not take up an entire page of an art display thread. If you want to attack him, do it in the PM system. Otherwise, shut up.

As a side note, accusing somebody of being autistic is an incredibly nasty thing to do. There's being rough with criticism, and then there's needless harassment of users. Asking if somebody's not right in the head is helpful to nobody.

Thank you. Escalus can go jump off a cliff for all I care. Anyways, all I wanted this thread to be was a review of my art (er...sketches). I didn't want this to be a "GO AND LERN ANATOMIES CUZ UR SUCKS!" Type of thread. I never asked for them to do that. NEVER! Not once. All I wanted was people to look at my art and comment on THOSE SKETCHES!!! YET, IT'S TURNED INTO A FLAME WAR! I get it; they want to help me, and I appreciate it, and I definitely appreciate the links, but when I make a thread, I do not expect to be bombarded with comments of "GO PRACTICE CUZ U SUCKS!!!!" All I wanted was commentary on my sketches. That's all.

I know I have to learn anatomy. I know I have to learn perspective. I KNOW THIS. Yet, all I wanted was commentary on my sketches, and now this bullshit happens! I'm having this thread locked and trying again in like a month. These people are fucking vicious!

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 17:25:45 Reply

I should not have to apologize multiple times all because I wanted to display my art. I shouldn't have to apologize because you bastards made unwarranted attacks on me for no reason. "You have to study anatomy." YEAH, I GET IT! This was only supposed to be an art display thread. If you want to critique that PIECE, then by all means, tear it apart by pointing out the mistakes. Perhaps I will revisit that sketch and re-do it. I will and have used the links people have provided me, but for God's sake, do not turn this thread into one of bickering. You all suck for now turning this what was supposed to be a fun display, commenting/critique thread into one where I have received numerous attacks, often for no good reason. You all should be ashamed!

You wonder why I can't take critique, eh? Well, look at this thread and find out. All you people do is attack, attack, attack. And yeah, those people who have sent me links, recommended books, and so on, thank you. I appreciate it, but please try to stay on topic with the pieces of art I am trying to display. I suggest you apologize to me right now. YOU OWE ME a HUGE apology for ruining my thread.

BBS Signature
Mownkey
Mownkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 17:37:20 Reply

At 9/3/12 05:19 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: I'm having this thread locked and trying again in like a month. These people are fucking vicious!

Oh please please don't do that. Creating another art thread won't change anything. This is going like an algorithm:
You make an art thread => People flow with bad comments => You create another art thread after some time
I have to announce that you can get banned for this (but people have said that a million times gsggf). Just ignore comments from those dickheads and continue with your work, but take the recommendations and advice from your fellows, they are really trying to help.

Felis
Felis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 17:48:44 Reply

At 9/3/12 05:27 PM, Escalus wrote:
We Art Forum regulars have been to hell and back more than enough times through more than enough threads trying to help him, and he does that same thing every time.

And you also do the same thing every time.

Surprise, insulting people makes them mad and uncooperative. Arguing in threads does nothing but piss people off.

Again, knock it off. You're being as disruptive as he is.

Art and critique in this thread. Everything else can be in PMs. Even if he doesn't take it, that shouldn't be your concern. Calling people retarded isn't the attitude we want to promote.

I have nothing to say that is at all relevant.

BBS Signature