00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Lucky Week for NG

25,466 Views | 63 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Lucky Week for NG 2012-05-25 11:05:03

Today marks the long-awaited release of Lucky Day Forever, making its web premier on Newgrounds!

Sarkazm first posted a trailer for LDF back in 2010 but some of the thematic elements go back even further. If you were around in 2004 you probably remember "Smile!"

Watching an artist grow and evolve over the years is one of the most satisfying things about life on NG.

On Wednesday another big project was premiered by long-time NG contributor, Sherbalex.

Sherbalex has been uploading movies to NG since 2002 and you may remember his joyful Christmas treat, "Winter."

"The Worst" has been in the works since 2009 and the final production involved over 250 megs of combined SWF files. Mike's Swivel software was able to crunch those files to video and merge them into the 15mb MP4 spectacular you see before you. YES, we'll be releasing Swivel to the public soonish!

On Thursday we had the first submission from NG newcomer and Calarts student Jacob Streilein.

I actually hunted Jacob down after seeing his stuff; I don't solicit people often but now that we have video support I want to be sure artists know about it. All of these movies depended largely on Flash for their development but none of them worked as traditional SWF files. I'm excited about what we can accomodate now that we support more formats!

On the technical side, we are setting up a video conversion server to process video files. This will make our system less picky in terms of artists handling their compression properly and will also allow us to serve smaller videos for mobile and computers that choke on large 1080p video.

Ultimately, with the help of Swivel and our conversion server, we intend to have video alternatives for every noteworthy movie on NG. This means NG classics will be available on devices that don't support Flash (iPhone, iPad, Roku, etc.) and we'll be better preserving NG's vast library of movies, many which have never existed anywhere outside of NG.

If this gets your gears spinning, it's only part of our adaption plan for the future. Stick around and see!

Also, if you like these movies, be sure to favorite the authors. You will get updates the next time they do something amazing!

http://sarkazm.newgrounds.com/
http://sherbalex.newgrounds.com/
http://jacobstreilein.newgrounds.com/

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Lucky Week for NG 2012-05-25 11:09:45

At 5/25/12 11:05 AM, TomFulp wrote: This means NG classics will be available on devices that don't support Flash (iPhone, iPad, Roku, etc.) and we'll be better preserving NG's vast library of movies, many which have never existed anywhere outside of NG.

NG Phone App??

I'm salivating...

Response to Lucky Week for NG 2012-05-25 11:11:09

I do like the technical side ;)

It seems that we do, in fact, have some amazing flashes from some amazing people. I'm just glad they decided to share them with us here on NG.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)

PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.

thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature

Response to Lucky Week for NG 2012-05-25 11:21:43

I've noticed the recent surge of great video submissions recently too.

I'll be watching the new one sometime later today! :)

Response to Lucky Week for NG 2012-05-25 11:31:05

thats all amazingly cool and all BUT WHEN OH WHEN WILL WE BE ABLE TO DELETE STUFF

shut UP

BBS Signature

Response to Lucky Week for NG 2012-05-25 11:36:44

At 5/25/12 11:31 AM, KhawnerL wrote: thats all amazingly cool and all BUT WHEN OH WHEN WILL WE BE ABLE TO DELETE STUFF

If you have published stuff you want to delete, you can PM me the URLs or tag them with "deletion" - if you have unpublished projects you want to delete, you'll have to wait until the unpublish / delete project functionality arrives. Sorry for the delay on those.

BBS Signature

Response to Lucky Week for NG 2012-05-25 11:47:21

He finally made that? I can't wait to get home and watch it.

The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature

Response to Lucky Week for NG 2012-05-25 11:48:04

At 5/25/12 11:36 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 5/25/12 11:31 AM, KhawnerL wrote: thats all amazingly cool and all BUT WHEN OH WHEN WILL WE BE ABLE TO DELETE STUFF
If you have published stuff you want to delete, you can PM me the URLs or tag them with "deletion" - if you have unpublished projects you want to delete, you'll have to wait until the unpublish / delete project functionality arrives. Sorry for the delay on those.

actually, i'm curious. It seems (though obviously I don't know the inner-workings of the NG site) that it would be easy to create a button that fires an SQL delete query. Is there any information on why there's a delay? I know it would be here already if it was ready, but i'm just wondering what's slowing the progress down.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)

PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.

thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature

Response to Lucky Week for NG 2012-05-25 12:02:40

Wow, lucky day and swelter were both incredible.

Feels like NG has reached a new level. Everyone else now has to step it up to compete.

Response to Lucky Week for NG 2012-05-25 12:19:37

Wow, those 2 video submissions were like- Best Ever tier.

Except lol there's not a best ever list any more. Good!

Response to Lucky Week for NG 2012-05-25 12:43:28

At 5/25/12 11:05 AM, TomFulp wrote: On the technical side, we are setting up a video conversion server to process video files. This will make our system less picky in terms of artists handling their compression properly and will also allow us to serve smaller videos for mobile and computers that choke on large 1080p video.

That sounds really good.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Lucky Week for NG 2012-05-25 12:58:05

At 5/25/12 11:09 AM, SpiffyMasta wrote: NG Phone App??

There's always newgroundsmobile.com

Response to Lucky Week for NG 2012-05-25 12:58:09

I honestly might not have watched Lucky Day Forever if you hadn't recommended it Tom and that pisses me off because I'd have missed out on quite possibly the best flash sub to NG ever!

Thanks for the post.

Response to Lucky Week for NG 2012-05-25 13:00:32

Lucky Day Forever was wonderful! I absolutely loved the music score as well.

Response to Lucky Week for NG 2012-05-25 13:17:49

I thought it was a lucky week for NG because I returned after a dogfight between US and Russian aircraft released me from the ice I was suspen-

No wait, I'm thinking of Gamera. Someone poked me on Facebook.

If Apple Jacks aren't going to taste like real apples, then they can get a regular job like everybody else.

BBS Signature

Response to Lucky Week for NG 2012-05-25 13:32:41

Those are incredibly great news. Making videos watchable on iPhones will be a huge step. I am looking forward for the updates to come.

Until then, I have to wait until I get home to check those surely great new movies.

BBS Signature

Response to Lucky Week for NG 2012-05-25 13:33:26

really beautiful backgrounds on that Sark piece. It really is fulfilling to see these old heads come back and show how much theyve grown creatively and artistically. Makes me really salivate at the new prospects of supporting video

None

BBS Signature

Response to Lucky Week for NG 2012-05-25 13:39:50

Holy shit!! Those are amazing. I don't know what to say other than that! Just simply amazing.

returning from 8 years hiatus haha so maybe renovating a little :>

FOLLOW 4 FOOL WRITING & POETRY HERE

BBS Signature

Response to Lucky Week for NG 2012-05-25 13:42:38

At 5/25/12 12:58 PM, Emrox wrote:
At 5/25/12 11:09 AM, SpiffyMasta wrote: NG Phone App??
There's always newgroundsmobile.com

What?! WHAT?!! How long has that existed?!

Response to Lucky Week for NG 2012-05-25 13:51:03

I'm still getting an android even if you make an iPhone app for NG.

Twitter: @dropthelaw | MSN: lawfx@live.co.uk | (old acc: Sequenced).

I make flash-friendly electronic music loops. Please use them and credit me. :) lawFX AUDIO

Response to Lucky Week for NG 2012-05-25 13:53:08

Lucky Day Forever takes my heart away. It is a very creative piece of art with powerful messages.

Thank you for sharing these a lot, Tom Fulp!

Response to Lucky Week for NG 2012-05-25 14:20:44

This was just a really cool news post to read. There's a lot of exciting stuff happening on Newgrounds right now, it feels great to be a small part of it all.

Hey Tom, when are the weekly broadcasts coming back? Last summer those were really fun.

:)

Response to Lucky Week for NG 2012-05-25 14:27:04

Though the quality is quite shitty, if your that desperate right now you can buy the photon browser which has a flash feature to watch stuff on your IOS devices.

Anyways, Lucky Day Forever has to be one of the best things NG has ever been blessed with.

Response to Lucky Week for NG 2012-05-25 14:34:58

At 5/25/12 11:31 AM, KhawnerL wrote: WHEN OH WHEN WILL WE BE ABLE TO DELETE STUFF

this

Response to Lucky Week for NG 2012-05-25 14:40:30

Wow, I remember reading about "lucky day forever" YEARS ago, it's finally out.
It's really exciting seeing all these great submissions coming through thanks to the video system, everyone's gotta up their game now!
Also still can't wait for swivel :P

PSN ID: CatFatius

BBS Signature

Response to Lucky Week for NG 2012-05-25 14:40:53

Wow Lucky Day Forever blew me away. That was absolutely fantastic.

Swelter was also cool as hell.

I'm really looking forward to the future of NG because it seems to just be getting better and better, even though I feel like it's as good as it could possibly be.

I need a sig.

PSN: gowow20

Response to Lucky Week for NG 2012-05-25 14:46:04

At 5/25/12 02:20 PM, NoLanLabs wrote: Hey Tom, when are the weekly broadcasts coming back? Last summer those were really fun.

Planning to start up in the next month.

BBS Signature

Response to Lucky Week for NG 2012-05-25 15:45:45

I also support the idea of a NG Mobile App. Especially with the discontinuation of Flash Player for Android. That basically puts iOS and new Android devices on equal ground as far as playing movies. I really love how NG has taken the dive into video. I think with the new video system, the fact that the audio portal works on mobile devices, and the direction the Internet is heading, an NG app would really be appreciated by the community.

Response to Lucky Week for NG 2012-05-25 16:35:02

At 5/25/12 11:05 AM, TomFulp wrote: , making it's web premier

What the hell is this, Tom? "Making it is web premier"? I demand satisfaction!

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Lucky Week for NG 2012-05-25 16:54:33

This stuff is all awesome. Shorts like these really help to improve the legitimacy of Flash and Web animation in general (which has been a long time coming) and this trend needs to continue.
While I'm also glad for the possibilities presented by the fact that the video player has been mostly successful so far, I've noticed that many of the videos (Starbarians and a few others, now Lucky Day Forever) won't play properly on some of my machines. Very likely NOT a co-incidence, my Win7 and Mac play them fine while my two WinXP (shut up) machines choke hard. Is that something that you guys are considering an issue or is it reasonable to just wait out anyone still using pre-vista OS'?
Anyways I'm glad to see that NG remains a great forum for this kind of content, it makes me feel a lot less iffy about posting more serious stuff down the line.