Be a Supporter!

Metal Hell

  • 1,622,060 Views
  • 78,744 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Nev
Nev
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell Jan. 10th, 2010 @ 10:35 PM Reply

At 1/10/10 10:11 PM, greensucksbluerules wrote: Just what is wrong with Paul Masvidal in this image?

I don't know which is Paul but one of them isn't wearing any pants.


Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy
PSN: Look-a-Hill
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature
Rokuro
Rokuro
  • Member since: Sep. 10, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell Jan. 10th, 2010 @ 10:45 PM Reply

At 1/10/10 08:18 PM, LaggingOut wrote:
At 1/9/10 11:12 PM, Rokuro wrote:
At 1/9/10 10:13 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 1/9/10 09:11 PM, Rokuro wrote: Alexi does vocals for an Extreme Power Metal band.
No... cause first of... Extreme doesn't exist as any kind of genre or classification. I can't see how art can be extreme. Art is always about creating something new and pushing the limits even further. So no, not extreme. They may have power metal influences, but they still are Melodic Death Metal.
Thx dude. Nice point!
The only thing death about their music is the Vocals. And even those sometimes can be more clean than not. They are Power in my opinion, but a very different kind of it. I think Extreme Power is a good classification that they are one genre but also very different from the norm.
Humm first, I think that the ambience created by the band is to dark to be power metal.

the vocals and thelyrical themesused for their songs put that band in the death metal classification...My point :/

-Power metal is highly focused on the vocalist, with "clean" vocals
-Power metal's lyrical themes typically focus on fantasy and mythology

Dont try and lecture me on Power Metal, kid. Seriously. Lol.

If you think that Children of Bodom's lyrical themes are straight death you are HUGELY mistaken. Many of their songs are based on fantasy. Sure, they do have songs that are just about "Not giving a flying fuck motherfucker if you hate me", but the entire Lake Bodom shit is so power its disgusting.

And no, many power bands dont just focus on fantasy and mythology. Maybe you should listen to more Power other than Blind Guardian and Dragonland. Many deal with relationships, wars, real feelings, politics, thousands of different occupations, etc.

You dont have to talk about fantasy and have a glass breaking falsetto to be power.

I mean, for christs sake, their first album is nothing BUT power. Wtf. :l Like I said earlier to Duff, who actually knows what he's talking about, they are a gray area band. They have many elements of both genres.

But seriously, trying to lecture ME about power. Get that shit out of here nig nog. >:|


Joined together wrote our names upon the page
Seven times alliance our loyalty we gave
Sworn to be united not divided for the King

BBS Signature
AllMightyBruce
AllMightyBruce
  • Member since: Nov. 14, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Audiophile
Response to Metal Hell Jan. 10th, 2010 @ 10:54 PM Reply

Mmm. Cold coffee and essays. What a fun fucking night. At least I've got Orrery.

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell Jan. 10th, 2010 @ 11:36 PM Reply

At 1/10/10 01:44 PM, Nev wrote:
Also, Wintersun are shitty.
Like the shittiest thing in music. Bland as hell. I don't understand why the entire Metal world seems to have a huge hard on for them. Can people not see how awful they are?

They are very original and talented musicians. As you said before.. or I can't remember who said this.. they are hard to classify because they play a unique genre of music. They keep some of the elements of what once made Ensiferum a very nice band, but they bring it to another level. Each and every tracks are different. Death And The Healing, Starchild and Beyond The Dark Sun are my favorites on the album. The vocals, especially on Starchild are quite interresting. The screams are quite powerful and agressive, the clean vocals are fuckin epic and I've worked on these vocals back in the days and they are kind of hard to do as well as the vocalist does.
And what is it that makes them bland? They play very melodeath-ish riffs sometimes with emotions and slowly and sometimes very agressively and fast. In fact... I think it's kind of funny that you say they suck, because I see them as one of the best of the melodeath scene. Jari Mäenpää was the only reason why I liked Ensiferum and since he left the band, they became a kind of copy of Norther, but with some epic folk influences. Jari Mäenpää is the genius behind Wintersun, and I hope he will make an ever better album then the first... if he ever release his album.

At 1/10/10 10:45 PM, Rokuro wrote:
I mean, for christs sake, their first album is nothing BUT power. Wtf. :l Like I said earlier to Duff, who actually knows what he's talking about, they are a gray area band. They have many elements of both genres.

But seriously, trying to lecture ME about power. Get that shit out of here nig nog. >:|

In fact, the point we really need to make right here, is that lyrical themes do not make any difference in the way you have to classify a theme, nor should you classify them by the vocals. I've heard power metal with many various different kind of vocals.

But you are far from beeing wrong Rokuro. Children Of Bodom have a lot of Power Metal influences. You really did change my mind on the subect :P
And listenning to Something Wild, I really understand what you mean. But then again, I hesitate to classify this as Power Metal. Maybe, like Nev and I said, Neo-Classical would fit better. Neo-Classical Power, something like Malmsteen used to play before he became fat. But as I'm not ready to say their are no Melodic Death Metal elements in there.
I think we could just say that we reached some kind of agreement. Or no? :P

And don't ever challenge Rokuro, he's the Power Fag in here :P

Well. Em, since you are the power fag (even if AniMetal will come crying about it soon), could you tell me what you think about the band Voyager. I just found out about them. And I really like their stuff.

Land of the Lies by Voyager
jew193
jew193
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Gamer
Response to Metal Hell Jan. 11th, 2010 @ 01:01 AM Reply

So Opeth is playing only six shows around the world to celebrate their 20th anniversary, and I'm going to one of them. Fuck yeah!

Murray
Murray
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 57
Audiophile
Response to Metal Hell Jan. 11th, 2010 @ 10:19 AM Reply

Those Slough Feg albums finally arrived through the post along with Agent Steel's Unstoppable Force. This will greatly compensate the time I have without my laptop.

At 1/10/10 01:44 PM, Nev wrote: Also, Wintersun are shitty.

Really now? I think their album is one of the greatest I've ever heard in my life!

I thought Chinese Democracy was a great album. People need to get over the fact that it's not a Guns N' Roses album and thats its an Axl Rose album.

Whatever it was, it plain sucked to me. I mean, 14 years for THIS?! Makes me glad I was never a big GnR fan to begin with.

At 1/10/10 11:36 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: Jari Mäenpää was the only reason why I liked Ensiferum and since he left the band, they became a kind of copy of Norther, but with some epic folk influences.

I've yet to listen to Norther but have you even listened to From Afar? Heathen Throne is one of the most epic songs I've ever heard in heavy metal and it shows how well Ensiferum are doing even without Jari.


[ BBS / Chat / Icon / Portal Möd ]

Formerly Bahamut

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Metal Hell Jan. 11th, 2010 @ 01:58 PM Reply

At 1/8/10 02:25 PM, mothballs wrote: Lol, stoner metal is god awful. Baroness is horrible and High on Fire just plain sucks.

Like man that there Vincent van Gogh can't paint for shit.

At 1/8/10 11:13 PM, 6Imm6ortal6 wrote: also Sigh is my new favourite band everything about them is epic

They're great.

At 1/9/10 09:30 AM, Idiosyncratic wrote: SLEEP IS REUNITING FOR A SHOW IN NEW YORK! I JUST JIZZED IN MY PANTS

:O

Too bad there's pretty much no way I'd be able to get myself over there.

At 1/9/10 09:55 AM, TheUnwisePoet wrote: and Static-X have a little bit of Industrial also, Rammstein is Industrial too but not Metal,

and neither is Static-X.

I've also heard people argue that Rammstein isn't even industrial. I don't listen to them, so I dunno, but they seemed to know their shit.

Also, Godflesh.

At 1/9/10 03:55 PM, 6Imm6ortal6 wrote: Yeah they are really good thanks, i could probably use some more metal bands from France

I tend to forget where my bands are from, but Blut Aus Nord is very good atmospheric black metal from France. Check out Ultima Thulee and Memoria Vetusta.

And shit, I keep forgetting to get Memoria Vetusta II.

At 1/9/10 04:28 PM, mothballs wrote: Also, i've been getting into SO much Kreator lately (IKNO IKNO IM RLY LAET SHUTUP SHUTUP) they are fucking awesome. Greatest thrash metal band out there next to Dew-Scented.

Yeah, extreme agression is one of my thrash favorites.

At 1/9/10 05:40 PM, Idiosyncratic wrote: Glenn Beck.

I'm sorry....I....I just love my country so much!

Fuck that fucking phony cunt.

At 1/9/10 11:09 PM, smeagol1 wrote: Btw I just seen Day Breakers I highly recommend it.

I'd like to see that, but what I really want to see now is the Road.

At 1/10/10 09:37 AM, Bahamut wrote:
At 1/9/10 11:25 PM, CapnCrunchDaPimp wrote: Chuck Schuldiner.
You know, he's the only person that comes to mind for favourite death metal vocalist.

same for me, and I do like my death metal now.

At 1/10/10 11:36 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: Well. Em, since you are the power fag (even if AniMetal will come crying about it soon)

Yeah, well Rokuro was here first.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
greensucksbluerules
greensucksbluerules
  • Member since: Mar. 6, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 49
Movie Buff
Response to Metal Hell Jan. 11th, 2010 @ 02:32 PM Reply

At 1/10/10 10:35 PM, Nev wrote:
At 1/10/10 10:11 PM, greensucksbluerules wrote: Just what is wrong with Paul Masvidal in this image?
I don't know which is Paul but one of them isn't wearing any pants.

Paul is the one standing up and making a retarded face. Bill Andrews is the one not wearing pants.


Sig by chris-092

BBS Signature
Nev
Nev
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell Jan. 11th, 2010 @ 02:52 PM Reply

At 1/10/10 11:36 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
And what is it that makes them bland?

The fact they're straight up Melodeath.
I don't what everyone else is listening to when they say they're beyond genre classification and all that. It's just boring as fuck Melodeath.

Neo-Classical Power, something like Malmsteen used to play before he became fat.

Yngwie used to be thin :S?

At 1/11/10 10:19 AM, Bahamut wrote: Whatever it was, it plain sucked to me. I mean, 14 years for THIS?! Makes me glad I was never a big GnR fan to begin with.

But anyone who is a GN'R fan should know that this isn't GN'R. It's Axl. And if there is one thing you can say about Axl its that he's a mad bastard.
I think its a perfectly good album and that people are judging it by standards they shouldn't be.


Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy
PSN: Look-a-Hill
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature
Nev
Nev
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell Jan. 11th, 2010 @ 02:53 PM Reply

Forgot to copy/paste this bit.

At 1/10/10 10:45 PM, Rokuro wrote: And no, many power bands dont just focus on fantasy and mythology. Maybe you should listen to more Power other than Blind Guardian and Dragonland. Many deal with relationships, wars, real feelings, politics, thousands of different occupations, etc.

I really wish you and AniMetal would stop trying to pretend that Power Metal has any integrity whatsoever.


Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy
PSN: Look-a-Hill
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature
AniMetal
AniMetal
  • Member since: Jan. 15, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell Jan. 11th, 2010 @ 03:28 PM Reply

At 1/11/10 02:53 PM, Nev wrote: I really wish you and AniMetal would stop trying to pretend that Power Metal has any integrity whatsoever.

You guys are only listening to the mainstream stuff.

I wouldn't really say a lot of power metal has lyrics relating to what rokuro said, but a TON of power metal relates to history, love, philosophy and this is a really big one: Freedom.

Mythology and all that is still good though.

Also is Hammerfall worth seeing?

Even though i'm not their biggest fan, i'm wondering if they are fun live.


Make war, not love.

BBS Signature
CapnCrunchDaPimp
CapnCrunchDaPimp
  • Member since: Feb. 23, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell Jan. 11th, 2010 @ 05:06 PM Reply

At 1/11/10 01:01 AM, jew193 wrote: So Opeth is playing only six shows around the world to celebrate their 20th anniversary, and I'm going to one of them. Fuck yeah!

Wow, I didn't know they were that old. You are a lucky man, I'm sure that show will be one for the ages.

Rokuro
Rokuro
  • Member since: Sep. 10, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell Jan. 11th, 2010 @ 05:31 PM Reply

At 1/10/10 11:36 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
Well. Em, since you are the power fag (even if AniMetal will come crying about it soon), could you tell me what you think about the band Voyager. I just found out about them. And I really like their stuff.

Eh. I've heard a few of their youtube vids. They dont really do anything from me from what I've heard... but then again I haven't actually sat down with them yet.

At 1/11/10 03:28 PM, AniMetal wrote:
At 1/11/10 02:53 PM, Nev wrote: I really wish you and AniMetal would stop trying to pretend that Power Metal has any integrity whatsoever.

I think it's because I dont think Power gets enough respect in large from the metal community. Probably a good 80% of it goes towards Death and Black. And many elitists refuse to see any good in power. Plus it's my fav. :3

I wouldn't really say a lot of power metal has lyrics relating to what rokuro said, but a TON of power metal relates to history, love, philosophy and this is a really big one: Freedom.

Mythology and all that is still good though.

Right.

Also is Hammerfall worth seeing?

I'm not a big fan either, but I know plenty of people who love them. I'd say go anyway. :3


Joined together wrote our names upon the page
Seven times alliance our loyalty we gave
Sworn to be united not divided for the King

BBS Signature
Nev
Nev
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell Jan. 11th, 2010 @ 05:34 PM Reply

At 1/11/10 05:31 PM, Rokuro wrote: I think it's because I dont think Power gets enough respect in large from the metal community. Probably a good 80% of it goes towards Death and Black. And many elitists refuse to see any good in power. Plus it's my fav. :3

Black is largely rubbish and Death is terrible (except Death <3).
I love Power Metal, its just defending it is stupid. It's cheesey, its gay and its lame. And thats why its good.

George Michael - Careless Whisper (Make It Big)

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy
PSN: Look-a-Hill
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature
Rokuro
Rokuro
  • Member since: Sep. 10, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell Jan. 11th, 2010 @ 05:47 PM Reply

At 1/11/10 05:34 PM, Nev wrote: Black is largely rubbish and Death is terrible (except Death <3).
I love Power Metal, its just defending it is stupid. It's cheesey, its gay and its lame. And thats why its good.

This is true. But people can still respect the genre. Thats all I wan. I WAN RESPEK.

Josh Groban - Gira Con Me

Joined together wrote our names upon the page
Seven times alliance our loyalty we gave
Sworn to be united not divided for the King

BBS Signature
CapnCrunchDaPimp
CapnCrunchDaPimp
  • Member since: Feb. 23, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell Jan. 11th, 2010 @ 05:51 PM Reply

At 1/11/10 05:47 PM, Rokuro wrote: This is true. But people can still respect the genre. Thats all I wan. I WAN RESPEK.

Josh Groban - Gira Con Me

I can't ever respect power metal, I'm sorry, I barely listen to it because it's too cheesy and almost like a joke. Not trying to start a flame war or anything, I mean, it's catchy and fun to listen to and the musicians are talented but it's not something I can respect.

HeavyMetalGuy
HeavyMetalGuy
  • Member since: Jun. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to Metal Hell Jan. 11th, 2010 @ 05:59 PM Reply

At 1/11/10 05:51 PM, CapnCrunchDaPimp wrote: I can't ever respect power metal, I'm sorry, I barely listen to it because it's too cheesy and almost like a joke.

What about Symphony X?

and yeah, I never really post in here because I figure that my posts will be overshadowed by those who have been here for much longer than I.
Nev
Nev
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell Jan. 11th, 2010 @ 06:03 PM Reply

At 1/11/10 05:59 PM, HeavyMetalGuy wrote:
and yeah, I never really post in here because I figure that my posts will be overshadowed by those who have been here for much longer than I.

We argue with everyone and anyone. We're equal opportunities here :P. So join in :).

Also, why Capn can you not respect someone for making art that happens to be cheesey and fun.
Do you not respect comedians?


Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy
PSN: Look-a-Hill
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature
CapnCrunchDaPimp
CapnCrunchDaPimp
  • Member since: Feb. 23, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell Jan. 11th, 2010 @ 06:08 PM Reply

At 1/11/10 06:03 PM, Nev wrote: We argue with everyone and anyone. We're equal opportunities here :P. So join in :).

Also, why Capn can you not respect someone for making art that happens to be cheesey and fun.
Do you not respect comedians?

Only a few, I'm not a fan of stand up comedy, and find few people to be really hilarious and talented.

Rokuro
Rokuro
  • Member since: Sep. 10, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell Jan. 11th, 2010 @ 06:11 PM Reply

At 1/11/10 05:59 PM, HeavyMetalGuy wrote:
At 1/11/10 05:51 PM, CapnCrunchDaPimp wrote: I can't ever respect power metal, I'm sorry, I barely listen to it because it's too cheesy and almost like a joke.
What about Symphony X?

He said he respects that some of them can be talented, I think. I guess your opinion is your opinion Capn. At least you acknowledge talent in it.

and yeah, I never really post in here because I figure that my posts will be overshadowed by those who have been here for much longer than I.

Don't be ridiculous, bro. Stick around more. We'll listen to anyone as long as they don't say retarded shit. I think I speak for everyone when I say as long as you don't think Slipknot is omg the best band ever, and you dont act like a douche you are more than welcome.

that is, after you've been accepted by a horseman.

Joined together wrote our names upon the page
Seven times alliance our loyalty we gave
Sworn to be united not divided for the King

BBS Signature
Rokuro
Rokuro
  • Member since: Sep. 10, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell Jan. 11th, 2010 @ 06:13 PM Reply

Also, Nev's post has a point.

Daniel Day Lewis - Guido's Song

Joined together wrote our names upon the page
Seven times alliance our loyalty we gave
Sworn to be united not divided for the King

BBS Signature
HeavyMetalGuy
HeavyMetalGuy
  • Member since: Jun. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to Metal Hell Jan. 11th, 2010 @ 06:20 PM Reply

At 1/11/10 06:11 PM, Rokuro wrote:
At 1/11/10 05:59 PM, HeavyMetalGuy wrote: and yeah, I never really post in here because I figure that my posts will be overshadowed by those who have been here for much longer than I.
Don't be ridiculous, bro. Stick around more. We'll listen to anyone as long as they don't say retarded shit. I think I speak for everyone when I say as long as you don't think Slipknot is omg the best band ever, and you dont act like a douche you are more than welcome.

I'm not a big Slipknot fan, but I hate it when people say that they aren't metal. They are, but not very good metal. Slipknot has some good songs under their belt, but most of them are pretty shitty.

I alsoreally hate it when you ask some kid what his favorite metal bands are, and he responds with "I LEIK BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE AND SLIPKNOT, THEY ARE SO METAL OMG". That is just unacceptable. If they knew more about REAL metal, then it's OK. It's OK to like Slipknot if you know a lot about metal, as most of in here do, correct?

Point being made, I don't really like Slipknot.

Rokuro
Rokuro
  • Member since: Sep. 10, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell Jan. 11th, 2010 @ 06:33 PM Reply

At 1/11/10 06:20 PM, HeavyMetalGuy wrote:
At 1/11/10 06:11 PM, Rokuro wrote:
At 1/11/10 05:59 PM, HeavyMetalGuy wrote: and yeah, I never really post in here because I figure that my posts will be overshadowed by those who have been here for much longer than I.
Don't be ridiculous, bro. Stick around more. We'll listen to anyone as long as they don't say retarded shit. I think I speak for everyone when I say as long as you don't think Slipknot is omg the best band ever, and you dont act like a douche you are more than welcome.
I'm not a big Slipknot fan, but I hate it when people say that they aren't metal. They are, but not very good metal. Slipknot has some good songs under their belt, but most of them are pretty shitty.

I alsoreally hate it when you ask some kid what his favorite metal bands are, and he responds with "I LEIK BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE AND SLIPKNOT, THEY ARE SO METAL OMG". That is just unacceptable. If they knew more about REAL metal, then it's OK. It's OK to like Slipknot if you know a lot about metal, as most of in here do, correct?

Point being made, I don't really like Slipknot.

Most people who like Slipknot (Most, not all) don't really have that good of taste. I classify them as Nu-Metal. But I think the main reason why people don't like them are A) the fans and B) They are sellouts.

But yeah, we respect people's opinions in here. We may argue a lot, but in the end it mostly comes down to personal preference.


Joined together wrote our names upon the page
Seven times alliance our loyalty we gave
Sworn to be united not divided for the King

BBS Signature
Zodir
Zodir
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell Jan. 11th, 2010 @ 06:57 PM Reply

Sorry I haven't been able to post in a while, the internedt is out, but I wanted to hear your guys's opinion on the Lord Weird Slough Feg. I recently got Ape Uprising, and I want to see if their other stuff is worth checking out. Also, thanks for the Manowar reccomendations a few pages back. And I, if I had to classify Children of Bodom, it would Power Metal with death metal influence.


Godzilla Film Fan Club
Proud Demon residing in the METAL HELL!
Lay down your soul for the god's rock n' roll!

Nev
Nev
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell Jan. 11th, 2010 @ 07:01 PM Reply

At 1/11/10 06:57 PM, Zodir wrote: Sorry I haven't been able to post in a while, the internedt is out, but I wanted to hear your guys's opinion on the Lord Weird Slough Feg.

I've only got Traveller and its amazing.
Others shall back that up and perhaps offer even better albums. But Traveller sure is purdy.


Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy
PSN: Look-a-Hill
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature
D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell Jan. 11th, 2010 @ 07:03 PM Reply

At 1/11/10 06:57 PM, Zodir wrote: Sorry I haven't been able to post in a while, the internedt is out, but I wanted to hear your guys's opinion on the Lord Weird Slough Feg. I recently got Ape Uprising, and I want to see if their other stuff is worth checking out.

Traveller is one of my most favorite of all albums, so I would highly recommend getting that one. Down Among the Deadmen is also a great album, and you should check it out. Atavism is okay, but it has a really good song on it: I Will Kill You/You Will Die.

They're one of my favorite bands.

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell Jan. 11th, 2010 @ 07:12 PM Reply

At 1/11/10 10:19 AM, Bahamut wrote:
I've yet to listen to Norther but have you even listened to From Afar? Heathen Throne is one of the most epic songs I've ever heard in heavy metal and it shows how well Ensiferum are doing even without Jari.

Never said Ensiferum was bad. Nor did I say it was a bad thing that they sounded somewhat like Norther. The point I was trying to make is that with Jari, a part of what made them unique has left the band. Also, these two titles you named are quite good. Make me wanna listen to some of their new stuff in fact.

At 1/11/10 02:52 PM, Nev wrote:
At 1/10/10 11:36 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
And what is it that makes them bland?
The fact they're straight up Melodeath.
I don't what everyone else is listening to when they say they're beyond genre classification and all that. It's just boring as fuck Melodeath.

Because like Ensiferum and CoB, they mix together Power, Melodeath and Epic Folk. And what is so wrong about Melodeath after all? A lot of melodic death metal are not your typical sell out kids you know. Some of them really stick to the roots of Death Metal, only difference is that they stick some melodic lead guitars over their death metal riffs. Nightrage being my favorite example.


Neo-Classical Power, something like Malmsteen used to play before he became fat.
Yngwie used to be thin :S?

Quite a surprise huh? :P

At 1/11/10 03:28 PM, AniMetal wrote:
At 1/11/10 02:53 PM, Nev wrote: I really wish you and AniMetal would stop trying to pretend that Power Metal has any integrity whatsoever.
You guys are only listening to the mainstream stuff.

I wouldn't really say a lot of power metal has lyrics relating to what rokuro said, but a TON of power metal relates to history, love, philosophy and this is a really big one: Freedom.

Mythology and all that is still good though.

Well. I would have to place myself somewhere in between you guys. Power Metal doesn't have very diversified lyrical themes. Freedom was used and over-used... basically... when you talk about Knights and Mages... you will have to talk about Freedom... dunno why... it's just related ;P

Even if power metal bands are not that original in the lyrics or song structures, why is it bad? I mean... a lot death metal bands write shit lyrics about brutality, gore, dismembering and burning people alive. Can't say I'm a big fan of these death metal bands. Personnaly I like having some content in the lyrics. But maybe some genres really are just made to have these kind of Generic lyrical themes.


Also is Hammerfall worth seeing?

Dunno. Probably... a bunch of dudes fucking around with huge hammers on stage... that must be awesome.

At 1/11/10 05:31 PM, Rokuro wrote:
Eh. I've heard a few of their youtube vids. They dont really do anything from me from what I've heard... but then again I haven't actually sat down with them yet.

Try "The Devil In Me". I have downloaded two of their tracks on last.fm and this one was quite honestly... the best of the two.

At 1/11/10 05:34 PM, Nev wrote:
Black is largely rubbish and Death is terrible (except Death <3).
I love Power Metal, its just defending it is stupid. It's cheesey, its gay and its lame. And thats why its good.

Now you really need to get raped. If you insult Black and Death Metal... it's really cause you failed to understand something about metal...
Black and Death have influenced so many genres of music...
without these two genres... at least half of your bands wouldn't exists. And in fact... if you hate black and death... what do you like? Death Metal is fucking great!

At 1/11/10 06:03 PM, Nev wrote:
Also, why Capn can you not respect someone for making art that happens to be cheesey and fun.
Do you not respect comedians?

Quite funny that you say so. Cause Power Metal guys, most of the time. Along with black metal grims are the douche bags who take themselves the most seriously in metal. Manowar is the biggest piece of fuckin cheese in the world, yet they really think they are awesome.
Comedians are funny because they are joking.
Manowar are funny because we like laughing at them... because they are serious...

HeavyMetalGuy
HeavyMetalGuy
  • Member since: Jun. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to Metal Hell Jan. 11th, 2010 @ 07:19 PM Reply

So my uncle got me the newest Immortal album. I love it. Great black metal. I'm listening to this as I post.

Metal Hell

Murray
Murray
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 57
Audiophile
Response to Metal Hell Jan. 11th, 2010 @ 07:19 PM Reply

At 1/11/10 06:57 PM, Zodir wrote: Sorry I haven't been able to post in a while, the internedt is out, but I wanted to hear your guys's opinion on the Lord Weird Slough Feg. I recently got Ape Uprising, and I want to see if their other stuff is worth checking out. Also, thanks for the Manowar reccomendations a few pages back. And I, if I had to classify Children of Bodom, it would Power Metal with death metal influence.

Others have already recommended them but Traveller and Down Among the Deadmen are a MUST!!! I can't get enough of these albums and neither can my sister. She even claims Warriors Dawn is one of the greatest songs of all time and I agree. Speaking of my sister, she's purchased the remaining Opeth albums so I can't wait until I hear them, even though that could still be a while.

At 1/11/10 07:12 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: Also, these two titles you named are quite good. Make me wanna listen to some of their new stuff in fact.

From Afar is an album to pick up. Infact, I find it to be the album of 2009 surpassing Endgame and Crack the Skye. I'll probably get shit for saying that but that's how much I like From Afar. Another track to look out is The Longest Journey, even though the outro is a bit too long but damn, the rest of the song is still awesome. It's one hell of an album closer.


[ BBS / Chat / Icon / Portal Möd ]

Formerly Bahamut

HeavyMetalGuy
HeavyMetalGuy
  • Member since: Jun. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to Metal Hell Jan. 11th, 2010 @ 07:21 PM Reply

So my uncle got me the newest Immortal album for Christmas. I love it. Great black metal. Listening to it right now actually.

Metal Hell