00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GasGrass just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

~Kashi's Art Thread~

88,697 Views | 480 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to ~Kashi's Art Thread~ 2010-12-05 22:13:02

At 12/4/10 02:16 AM, Lintire wrote: Love the shading bit you've done - though I'd never have the patience for that, doing it strand by strand makes it come off as super detailed. Just have to say, though, that the lines that you've got on a a couple of the examples do seem way out of place - great shading in conjunction with super thick, cartoony lines. Just seems... unnatural.

Yeah I rushed the actual lineart, intent on simply pputting what I've learned to work.
It was also slightly time-consuming, but I learned a few shortcuts along the way ;)

Also, I figured I'd put this in my thread.
It was really fun participating in the flood. I actual got some good, honest critique. Unlike what I've gotten on almost all of my other pieces. It was one hell of a learning experience. I'm so participating in next month's!!!

~Kashi's Art Thread~

Response to ~Kashi's Art Thread~ 2010-12-05 22:14:07

Also, necessary Vexon to prove that I was indeed procrastinating while I was supposed to be working on this week's CoW.

~Kashi's Art Thread~

Response to ~Kashi's Art Thread~ 2010-12-06 03:47:58

oh ,very interesting.

Traditional culture of China|Travel in China

BBS Signature

Response to ~Kashi's Art Thread~ 2010-12-19 02:08:32

At 12/5/10 10:14 PM, Kakashi1930 wrote: Also, necessary Vexon to prove that I was indeed procrastinating while I was supposed to be working on this week's CoW.

Yeah, so I never finished that. What's it to ya!?

Also, Bump!
CoW WIP.
Mreh.

~Kashi's Art Thread~

Response to ~Kashi's Art Thread~ 2010-12-19 15:32:47

More work. Blegh.

~Kashi's Art Thread~

Response to ~Kashi's Art Thread~ 2010-12-19 17:12:51

At 12/19/10 03:32 PM, Kakashi1930 wrote: More work. Blegh.

Looks a bit too wolf-like.

Response to ~Kashi's Art Thread~ 2010-12-19 21:26:18

At 12/19/10 05:12 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 12/19/10 03:32 PM, Kakashi1930 wrote: More work. Blegh.
Looks a bit too wolf-like.

It does sort of look like chocolate lab / timber wolf hybrid.

Response to ~Kashi's Art Thread~ 2010-12-19 21:30:05

I think that on the second version of your wolf, you might have abused the "Burn" tool. Instead of doing so, you could have applied a slight "multiply" filter to suggest shadow over there, and perhaps taken the opportunity to further refine the slick and shine of wolf hair with a smaller brush! Some references might also help as to bringing canine anatomy and realism to the whole picture. Keep doing what you're doing though!

Response to ~Kashi's Art Thread~ 2010-12-19 22:02:40

At 12/19/10 09:30 PM, Vonschlippe wrote: I think that on the second version of your wolf, you might have abused the "Burn" tool. Instead of doing so, you could have applied a slight "multiply" filter to suggest shadow over there, and perhaps taken the opportunity to further refine the slick and shine of wolf hair with a smaller brush! Some references might also help as to bringing canine anatomy and realism to the whole picture. Keep doing what you're doing though!

Thanks for your critique. I haven't gotten any in a while; its appreciated. I will be sure to use some of your tips.
My only comment is that I don't use the burn tool. I have SAI, which (as far as I know) has no burn tool. I did mess around with the contrast, but nothing major. Just painstaking time...
Once again, thanks!

And @ Jonny: it was kinda meant to look wolf-ish, derp. :3

Response to ~Kashi's Art Thread~ 2010-12-19 22:09:42

Thanks for your critique. I haven't gotten any in a while; its appreciated. I will be sure to use some of your tips.
My only comment is that I don't use the burn tool. I have SAI, which (as far as I know) has no burn tool. I did mess around with the contrast, but nothing major. Just painstaking time...
Once again, thanks!

Hehe sorry for giving off wrong technical advice then, I basically think in photoshop, even during a math exam >_<

Response to ~Kashi's Art Thread~ 2010-12-20 00:50:44

At 12/19/10 10:02 PM, Kakashi1930 wrote: And @ Jonny: it was kinda meant to look wolf-ish, derp. :3

I figured that out, but there's a difference between wolfish and just a straight up wolf.

Response to ~Kashi's Art Thread~ 2010-12-29 13:55:39

Bump.
Go Team Arctic Wolf!!!

~Kashi's Art Thread~

Response to ~Kashi's Art Thread~ 2010-12-29 13:58:40

The front left leg is not well placed. Drag it a bit more to the right.

Check out my stupid webcomic: Tumblr | Tapas | Webtoons

Response to ~Kashi's Art Thread~ 2010-12-29 14:00:14

At 12/29/10 01:55 PM, Kakashi1930 wrote: Bump.
Go Team Arctic Wolf!!!

The poor things Leg!
:'(.....

looks like we'll have to put it down :P

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to ~Kashi's Art Thread~ 2010-12-29 14:15:16

At 12/29/10 01:58 PM, Zodape wrote: The front left leg is not well placed. Drag it a bit more to the right.

Thanks. It kept looking so messed up to me, like he had a gimp leg. Now it looks much better :)

~Kashi's Art Thread~

Response to ~Kashi's Art Thread~ 2010-12-29 14:37:51

At 12/29/10 02:15 PM, Kakashi1930 wrote:
At 12/29/10 01:58 PM, Zodape wrote: The front left leg is not well placed. Drag it a bit more to the right.
Thanks. It kept looking so messed up to me, like he had a gimp leg. Now it looks much better :)

To me it still looks a bit off. It would look better at a bit of a bend. This isn't the best example, but you can see how on it how it's leg bends out, then in, and then its paw bends out.

Then again im probably making to big of a deal out of a team logo

every morn I awake from the cavernous night

look at my pictures

look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature

Response to ~Kashi's Art Thread~ 2010-12-29 14:57:42

At 12/29/10 02:37 PM, DemocracyFTW wrote:
At 12/29/10 02:15 PM, Kakashi1930 wrote:
To me it still looks a bit off. It would look better at a bit of a bend. This isn't the best example, but you can see how on it how it's leg bends out, then in, and then its paw bends out.

Then again im probably making to big of a deal out of a team logo

No, no. I get what you mean. But, my wolf is trotting, and, when I looked at refs, that was how it was portrayed. The one you linked is standing still (look at pic). I drew in the rough shape of the bones so you can see what I mean.

Yeah, I probably could've made it more defined. Thats my fault. Maybe next time I'll get off my lazy bum and make it more defined ^_^.
Still, thanks for pointing it out.

~Kashi's Art Thread~

Response to ~Kashi's Art Thread~ 2011-01-06 15:31:07

1. Bump kakashi's Art thread
2. Say "good job"
3. ???
4. PROFIT !!!

BBS Signature

Response to ~Kashi's Art Thread~ 2011-01-06 16:14:57

only cats walk like that, look harder at your refs!

~Kashi's Art Thread~

when life gives you lemons

BBS Signature

Response to ~Kashi's Art Thread~ 2011-01-06 18:15:09

Incoming wall of text.

Not edited for typos.

At 12/29/10 02:15 PM, Kakashi1930 wrote: Thanks. It kept looking so messed up to me, like he had a gimp leg. Now it looks much better :)

Your shading is very cylindrical meaning that you're leaving out a lot of the details of the texture of whatever surface/material you're working with and the intricate details of your characters' musculature (or if musculature doesn't apply, whatever rising and falling the surface of any object does). In other words, your forms are being simplified down too much (obviously this doesn't apply to your cartoon images, which are fine). The black dog and the flood picture start to break away from that issue, but it happens in many of your images and even in those two to some extent. For the sake of brevity--as I can become too long-winded too easily--I'll just focus on this wolf picture.

The biggest thing that hurts it is that you didn't put any definition into the fur, save for the outline. Since I get the impression that this is supposed to be a logo instead of a complicated digital painting, I recommend that you cell shade instead and use the boundaries of said cell shading to create your fur detail.

But also, even if you want to stick with this softer shading, there are a lot of details that you missed. For instance, the neck shouldn't look like a cylinder. Where you have those tufts of fur outlined indicating that it's convex at that point, there should be highlights. Also, on the back and legs, use your shading to define the muscles. Right now, they look like tubes. And if you have decent-sized, individual strands sticking out like you do on the tail and the belly, put some highlights an/or shadows on them to show that they have form.

Next, never blur. Well, I shouldn't say never, but try to avoid it at all costs if you can. Blurring robs your image of a lot of potential tonal depth. When you use too many shades of the same tone, your image looks flat. Consider that in reality, nothing is comprised of solely one tone and so even the simplest of drawings should reflect that. If you want to have soft shading, rely entirely on various colors to create your transitions instead of something like the blur tool/filter or any other tool that simply makes something lighter or darker.

Here's a poorly drawn and sloppy example of what I mean. I threw this together a while ago for the sake of simply explaining color theory so it's not exactly what I need (if you want more awful-looking examples of things you should and shouldn't do with color, I have them); however, although it's essentially cell shading, for all intents and purposes, it's blended shading simplified. What it serves to show how having a more diverse variety of tones can give something more depth and make it look fuller. What you would do to make this soft shading would just be to use more colors.

Another piece of color theory advice is to avoid white (and black as well). They're flat-looking colors in general just by their nature. It's not a hard and fast rule, but it's something to keep in mind.

Onto more specified details about the wolf, the shoulder of the front leg facing the viewer should be defined by a bulge on the back by the neck. The bone/muscle extends all the way up there. The ear on the left side of the image seems to be positioned farther forward than the other. The eye on the left seems to be in the wrong perspective.

At 12/4/10 01:42 AM, Kakashi1930 wrote: Anyways, I wanted to draw hair. And fur. And I just thought I'd experiment with a different way of coloring hair and fur while I was at it. It was kinda time consuming, but the results pleased me.
Any good?

I know this is a few images back, but I wanted to give some advice on it anyway.

The best example here by far is the fiery red one on the right, I think, both because of the coloring and because of how the strands seem to flow naturally--that is, given that this is intended to be short hair/fur. If it's meant to be long, then that leads me to my first point.

Hair is very complicated. In the two examples on the left, you have the right idea, but it's too simplified. The way that hair falls is much looser and more random than how you have it here. You do need to separate it into tufts when shading, but those tufts should be small and less prominent. This is a good example here. You can see the distinctions between one tuft and the next, but it's subtle. Now, this is an example that doesn't have a lot of contrast, so I'll provide one that does. There are a lot of different tones and values in this second image, but you can still see how it stands as one single object. It's one object that's broken into parts which are then broken into more parts. Basically, with hair, you need to start large and get smaller without making it look like a collection of many separate objects.

Secondly--and this is mostly referring to the pink hair--you always want to draw a strand of hair by starting at where it connects with the scalp and moving your pencil/cursor/whatever outwards. It will come out looking more natural that way. Now, I don't know if you did that in the pink drawing, but it looks that way. If this wasn't the case, then I'll move on to saying that you shouldn't have solid squiggles of highlights (or shadows) like that. Strands and tufts are separate and should be shaded as such.

Lastly, if you're going to have realistic shading, don't have hard boarders. Allow the ends of the strands to create your boarders for you.

At 12/4/10 02:16 AM, Lintire wrote: though I'd never have the patience for that,

It can go pretty fast if you move fast, which is what you want to do anyways. If realistic hair is taking you a long time, consider not spending so much time thinking about where you want to lay your strands. Just let your hand do its thing (and in my experience, working this way makes hair come out more natural anyway). With practice, doing the hair of a medium sized character only takes a few minutes as long as you become acquainted with ctrl+Z.

At 12/29/10 02:57 PM, Kakashi1930 wrote: Yeah, I probably could've made it more defined. Thats my fault. Maybe next time I'll get off my lazy bum and make it more defined ^_^.
Still, thanks for pointing it out.

I don't know if mentioning this helps, but the linework on your two middle legs there doesn't seem to be following the skeleton--or vise versa.

Characters remaining: 1,462

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to ~Kashi's Art Thread~ 2011-01-06 18:41:28

At 1/6/11 06:15 PM, InsertFunnyUserName wrote: Not edited for typos.
At 1/6/11 06:15 PM, InsertFunnyUserName wrote: Now, I don't know if you did that in the pink drawing, but it looks that way.

But it doesn't* look that way

asdf

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to ~Kashi's Art Thread~ 2011-01-06 19:06:51

At 1/6/11 06:15 PM, InsertFunnyUserName wrote: Incoming wall of text.

Wow.
Wow.
Thanks.
A lot.
Really :3
You pointed out a lot of problems with my art, and I thank you. I will look out for what you said and hopefully that will help me improve ;)
Also, I use a watercolor brush in SAI, not blur, although it gives it a really blurry affect, I guess.
Maybe I should switch back to the water tool.
Or spend more time cel shading. Maybe that'll work.
Once again, thanks.

I don't wanna post without a pic, but I haven't been working on anything either. Just a project from school. So I'll post the cover art. Also, its very sloppy when it comes to coloring (I drew an entire book in 5 hours, including procrastication. Note to self: Don't delay projects involving art. Makes art look shitty)

Oh hey btw, I got my new laptop I ordered for Xmas. Woo!

~Kashi's Art Thread~

Response to ~Kashi's Art Thread~ 2011-01-16 15:13:54

Bumping thread.
Why the fuck not?
The forum is dead atm anyways, it can't hurt.
Aigis may or may not be mad for me posting this pic.
I whored it out during Game Jam in stickam.
Meh.

~Kashi's Art Thread~

Response to ~Kashi's Art Thread~ 2011-01-16 15:17:21

More bumping. These pics are kinda old.
Ninjashi. This version doesn't have text. Oh well. Cba to add it.
See the version with text here.

~Kashi's Art Thread~

Response to ~Kashi's Art Thread~ 2011-01-16 15:20:11

RAID BUMP.
Idk.
Friday Flood 4 picture.
Theme: Snow
Art Portal

~Kashi's Art Thread~

Response to ~Kashi's Art Thread~ 2011-01-16 15:22:32

Aaand to finish off my 4 post per 30 minutes, my Project Denovo Pic
Idk, I think it is gonna be a fun project. I wish some more regs would join :P
This version doesn't have text either, but this one does.

~Kashi's Art Thread~

Response to ~Kashi's Art Thread~ 2011-01-16 21:20:24

At 1/16/11 03:22 PM, Kakashi1930 wrote: Aaand to finish off my 4 post per 30 minutes, my Project Denovo Pic
Idk, I think it is gonna be a fun project. I wish some more regs would join :P
This version doesn't have text either, but this one does.

Very nice, the porportions are not all that accurate but it's still pretty kewl. Very nice coloring. The line thickness is a bit much though, I think you should try to control it better next time. Love the flood picture though, very clean and stylish.

WITCHCRAFT!!!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to ~Kashi's Art Thread~ 2011-01-21 13:27:13

*recites incantations*
I drew a Vexon in school yesterday.
His right arm is kinda fucked up, so if you would please pretend I did that on purpose, that would be appreciated. Also, other comments are welcome. You can pick on the arm too, I guess. Who cares?
Not like anyone will comment anyways :'(

~Kashi's Art Thread~

Response to ~Kashi's Art Thread~ 2011-01-21 13:36:51

At 1/21/11 01:27 PM, Kakashi1930 wrote: I drew a Vexon in school yesterday.

lol vexon :3

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to ~Kashi's Art Thread~ 2011-01-22 20:17:00

I made a crappy, tween'd stick animation! Yaaaaay!
Posted version below crappy quality... :'(

~Kashi's Art Thread~