00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

sdrogotime99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

IFUN's pixel recepticle

3,645 Views | 16 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

IFUN's pixel recepticle 2012-12-31 10:59:51

I had one of these threads back in 2008 but I can't find it as I have no idea what it was called. So I'm starting another one. As always, I love and encourage constructive criticism.

Most of what I'll post is on my Tumblr so you can see the full size versions there for drawings that may be larger than 700x720. /shamelessplug. The lack of shading and background is stylistically intentional, though let me know if it doesn't work.

This one was drawn in the Christmas spirit.

IFUN's pixel recepticle

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to IFUN's pixel recepticle 2012-12-31 11:01:18

Romney adores his new bikini.

IFUN's pixel recepticle

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to IFUN's pixel recepticle 2012-12-31 11:03:49

Mr. President is proud of his figure.

IFUN's pixel recepticle

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to IFUN's pixel recepticle 2012-12-31 11:05:27

Legsolas Greenwebs.

IFUN's pixel recepticle

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to IFUN's pixel recepticle 2012-12-31 11:06:58

Fishics.

Admittedly, this one is pretty shitty.

IFUN's pixel recepticle

fdjkalfdjkalfwio

djaklfjaskfldsk

fjdaklfjdkslajfs

BBS Signature

Response to IFUN's pixel recepticle 2012-12-31 11:08:37

This one is the shittiest yet.

IFUN's pixel recepticle

fdjkalfdjkalfwio

djaklfjaskfldsk

fjdaklfjdkslajfs

BBS Signature

Response to IFUN's pixel recepticle 2012-12-31 12:04:39

At 12/31/12 10:59 AM, InsertFunnyUserName wrote: I had one of these threads back in 2008 but I can't find it as I have no idea what it was called. So I'm starting another one. As always, I love and encourage constructive criticism.

Great to see you back round these parts :D

Response to IFUN's pixel recepticle 2012-12-31 14:43:28

At 12/31/12 12:04 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 12/31/12 10:59 AM, InsertFunnyUserName wrote: I had one of these threads back in 2008 but I can't find it as I have no idea what it was called. So I'm starting another one. As always, I love and encourage constructive criticism.
Great to see you back round these parts :D

Something just drew me back, an invisible attraction I can't quite explain.

Also known as boredom.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to IFUN's pixel recepticle 2012-12-31 16:06:49

WIP

Here's the outline. Don't worry about the lines; they won't be staying.

IFUN's pixel recepticle

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to IFUN's pixel recepticle 2012-12-31 18:03:14

These are pretty neat!
Do you use a tablet?
If so, why don't you try messing around with line thicknesses?

Nice work, hope to see more.

BBS Signature

Response to IFUN's pixel recepticle 2012-12-31 20:24:31

At 12/31/12 06:03 PM, JamSession wrote: These are pretty neat!
Do you use a tablet?
If so, why don't you try messing around with line thicknesses?

Nice work, hope to see more.

Thanks. I do have a tablet. The fish doesn't have line thickness variation because the lines aren't actually going to be in the final drawing. They're just a guide. The other drawings are pixel art so there's not much I can do with the line thickness. I've experimented with line widths but if I use a thicker line at any point, it doesn't look as good considering the aliasing.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to IFUN's pixel recepticle 2012-12-31 21:38:10

Still WIP. Here it is with the black and white layer. Next comes color, then background.

IFUN's pixel recepticle

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to IFUN's pixel recepticle 2013-01-03 17:23:58

I haven't given up on the fish but in the meantime, here's some face practice.

IFUN's pixel recepticle

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to IFUN's pixel recepticle 2013-01-03 22:45:26

At 1/3/13 08:28 PM, wankwest wrote:
At 12/31/12 09:38 PM, InsertFunnyUserName wrote: Still WIP. Here it is with the black and white layer. Next comes color, then background.
I'm not used to giving critique, but maybe the inside of the mouth needs to be a few shades darker.
Everything else just seems perfectly fine to me, not that my judgement holds allot of validity to it.

Hmm, true. I'll fuss with it.

I was wondering, with what tools you shade, what does the shading process look like? I could really learn from your work.

Oh I can go on for great lengths about shading. Prepare your anus for incoming wall of text.

TL;DR: I use a regular hard round brush with the pressure sensitivity set to opacity and the opacity set to around 50%.

I apply various colors--or in the case of black and white, just values--over each other until I get the desired blend. When I'm working with color, I don't usually use a pallet. I find it more effective to just pick what I need from the color menu.

I start by coloring in the entire shape with a hard layer of one single mid tone, and then I add in the various other mid tones until the forms are defined. Then I add the shadows and then finally the highlights. After that, I hide the outline layer and refine it, sharpening what needs sharpening and fixing what needs fixing. The reason I like digital painting so much is that I can experiment with different combinations of hues and values as much as I want without either degrading the paper in the case of paint, muddying the colors in the case of colored pencil, or dulling the highlights in the case of charcoal.

I also make sure to work from large to small. That is, I use a larger brush to shade over large surfaces, and only after I'm satisfied with that do I move on to putting in the smaller details on top. If you just try to work from one side to the other, it's very difficult to make any changes to the broad surfaces without messing up your edges.

An important thing to keep in mind when you're putting down your layers is that up until the point where you're doing final touches, you want to pick values and hues that are more extreme than you intend the final product to be because as you're laying them down, they'll overlap each other, lessening the contrast between them.

It's also important to keep in mind whether your shadows are soft and fading or hard and abrupt. Note not just where they're falling but also how they're falling. Helpful expertly made MSPaint infographic attached.

I could honestly go on but I'll stop there for now.

IFUN's pixel recepticle

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to IFUN's pixel recepticle 2013-01-04 05:59:18

I think your human anatomy might need a little bit of working on. Also, your lines are quite jagged and it seems to make the picture have an effect that makes it too sharp. You may want to take your time and zoom in a bit more when free-hand drawing. On the upside, the theme of each work is humorous and is bound to shed some laughter.

BBS Signature

Response to IFUN's pixel recepticle 2013-01-04 13:26:53

Still WIP. I liked black and white considerably more than any of the color combinations I tried so I went with that. The background outline is done. And like for the fish outline, done worry about the quality of the lines because they won't be staying. The tentative plan is for those jellyfish to be blue but we'll see how it turns out.

At 1/4/13 05:59 AM, Pirakaboss wrote: I think your human anatomy might need a little bit of working on. Also, your lines are quite jagged and it seems to make the picture have an effect that makes it too sharp. You may want to take your time and zoom in a bit more when free-hand drawing. On the upside, the theme of each work is humorous and is bound to shed some laughter.

Thanks, will keep in mind.

IFUN's pixel recepticle

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to IFUN's pixel recepticle 2013-01-04 14:55:04

Oh man! Those first three are great! What's the tree eating? The politicians are ridiculous, I like those a lot. Cool stuff man, keep posting!