00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Malicious Ads...

26,179 Views | 211 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 18:41:26

Blegh.. Spyware is evil but if you think you have it.... Use adaware its free and on download.com

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 19:36:16

So all of that crap like Free teen ezine and Free gay ezine isnt yours? It freaking scares me that stuff.

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 20:50:21

Yea whats up wit that i was on and the blasted thing change my home page. At any rate... keep tryin to get rid of the damn thing!

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 21:42:40

damn those malicious ads....DAMN THEM TO HELL!!!!

Malicious Ads...

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 21:51:15

Remember, if these guys are doing something illegal, or violating a contract with NG, it's morally fine to track them down, burn their homes and families to ash, AND SEND THEM POPUPS~

Vreeheehee... *Cough* Oh my, I seem to have a bit of Kefka stuck in my throat...

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 22:04:26

well those dirty little bastards.... well i got norton internet security and it has saved my ass from time to time <pop-ups, viruses, hackers,> all are blocked by it. its a god send i tell ya. kick those third parties between the legs for me and the rest of us tom. ___

Malicious Ads...

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 22:49:55

Man that all must suck. Running a website has become so complicated nowadays.Good Luck getting all this checked out.

-=Gear=-

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 23:25:39

I noticed it to hope you fix it soon

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 23:50:41

At 3/19/04 11:52 AM, HeRetiK wrote: meh. i haven't faced one of these malicious ad yet, but it sucks to hear that they're back.

I haven't recieved one of the malicious ads, but i have recieved some weird pop ups when i was writing a review once, it didn't seem like a malicious pop up, but the thought of running into one is steaming

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 23:53:43

Alas, so many times have I had to reset my homepage back to yahoo...

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-20 01:42:51

Although pop-ups really are a big issue for people to deal with, there is the fact that pop-ups give the most payout for NG. A while back when I went searching for an advertiser for my now dead (temporary, mind you) site, I found that the money made from pop-ups was double to triple of what I would make with a banner. I also know that servers aren't cheap, and to pay for 13 working servers is a LOT of money.

I tend to use a pop-up blocker to avoid malicious ads, but it has the downside of blocking other pop-ups, and I can't afford to buy Ad- Watch. If I could, I'd go buy it and use it to have the same effect on pop-ups that Wade uses it for; to block only malicious ads and leave the safer pop-ups.

I think that's about all I can say.

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-20 02:31:12

i will keep those fingers crossed, fo sho. n i've bn havin that problem uno, wenever i set my homepage to a site (including NG :@) the next time i go on the net, my homepage is something completely different, like a search engine, or just a crappy site... its startin to piss me off... HEAPS. so i hope u can get the new design on as soon as you can (while juggling with AH... god, how do u do it) so all those crap as ads will go away.
and as for the payment thing, that sux ass to. thats so cheap/sneaky that companies would actually do that to sites...
o well, it happens to the best of us.... good luck tom

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-20 05:40:37

is it possible to get rid of it?

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-20 07:01:24

actually, yes it is.
Also, I might as well say this, Tom Fulp, I went over your entire site and found 1 very malicious program in the dress up games, N-Case. This can greatly harm your computer by replacing a vital .dll file. All who have this installed uninstall it now or your world will be adware hell.

Oh, I forgot, there is a 80% way of getting rid of that homepage thing, I just stayed up all night getting that son of bitch entry off. Download "Ad-aware" from Lavasoft and update it by clicking a button on the top of the screen. then scan your computer. Let it finish, select next. Right click any of the entries and select the first "Select All" it should select every entry. Now click next. It'll delete all of your spyware shit.

If this fails, well welcome to my world.

You need to go to your "Start" button. Go to "Run". in the textbox, type in regedit, then click OK. Now, collapse (click the + sign) the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", then "Software", then "Microsoft", then "Internet Explorer" then finally "Main". On the left side of the window, try and find any of those bastard websites that look suspicious. If you find one, double the entry DIRECTLY next to it. And then a window will appear. Delete the website. Keep doing this until you delete everything that looks malicious. Just don't fuck up your registry.

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-20 07:02:57

Shit, and if you still get popups find someone that you know'll fix it, because you gotta a majorly fucked up registry.

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-20 08:32:50

I'm running on mozillia firebird and havn't got and pop-up ads or anything of the sort, while running the site. The only thing I get are these advertising loading windows that come out of no where ever 15-20 mins that take focus and fuck up my games or the such.

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-20 09:45:20

I have a program called Ad-aware, i AdAware is a privacy tool, that scans your memory, registry, hard, removable and optical drives for known data-mining, aggressive advertising, and tracking components. It then lists the results and offers to remove or quarantine the components. The program detects a wide range of adware/spyware related issues and can be updated with the latest signatures via the built-in update utility. Please be advised that removing certain components may impact the functionality of effected software applications. You should fully read the included Ad-aware documentation before removing any files! you can download it from http://www.snapfiles.com/get/adaware.html

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-20 09:46:33

and by the way ITS FREE

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-20 09:55:19

At 3/19/04 02:26 PM, bOnGo_NuTs wrote: All of you people using pop up blockers are costing NG money. <sarcasm>How supportive</sarcasm>

not really, NG still gets paid... duh

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-20 11:02:26

that adaware stuff works.
i've been using it for like a year or something.

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-20 11:37:29

At 3/19/04 11:54 AM, -Akula- wrote: I am getting this annoying Expedia add, which shift's every single page down. It only load's on the "thank you" voting pages.(or on pages with the old layout)

Ya, I got that too. It pushes all the html code down, and looks really buggy. I haven't got any adware from NG as far as I know. Everyone out there should go out and buy AdAware6 from lavasoft. That way no one will get malicious adware, works for me.

BBS Signature

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-20 11:45:33

on one of my computers....some software got in and makes some really retarded homepage that has ten times more ads....if they dont pay up soon ,Tom, you're going to have to sue them...we at newgrounds would try to help you pay any lawyer fees...just set up a donation thing....i would give a few dollars to help newgrounds

Malicious Ads...

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-20 11:46:52

At 3/19/04 02:26 PM, bOnGo_NuTs wrote: All of you people using pop up blockers are costing NG money. <sarcasm>How supportive</sarcasm>

Does anyone really click on the pop-up ads anyway?

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-20 12:04:20

How about, get rid of advertisements and get a real job.
No seriously, I have been gettin a lot of spyware lately. Always do.

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-20 12:05:50

I used nav 2004 to get rid of the majority of the spyware on my pc and bought the pop-up killer from panicware.com. I did keep having my homepage changed a few weeks back though. My original homepage was a shitty Orlando Bloom site so I wasn't bothered too much. Damn my hormones.

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-20 12:11:21

Well smart one, basically they dont want to damn welll buy "Free teen ezine" Free gay ezine, etc.

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-20 13:00:18

Do you have an ad poilcy or some sort of a contract with these people you do ad business with? It would make sense in this case to put a no competition aggreeement in any contract or ad policy. That way, you ay be able to catch, and possibly surcharge those who try to find their way aroound the ad system that you have currently.

Just a thought.

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-20 13:20:04

At 3/20/04 09:55 AM, RazorBladez wrote:
not really, NG still gets paid... duh

That's true, but on the other hand if everyone used it, no one would advertise on the web, and that pretty much spells the end of free Newgrounds. (That probably won't happen)

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-20 13:33:09

At 3/19/04 05:38 PM, TheShrike wrote: I know NG depends on pop-ups for revenue, and that's why sometimes I disable my own blocker. But I've never liked the idea of pop-up ads. It's not like TV advertisements. Banner ads are more like TV ads. They have their place, they do their job. They don't keep people from enjoying the site. If TV had pop-ups, that block the screen during the action, or change the TV to the Home Shopping Network, I wouldn't watch TV. Period.

That's a really great analogy, Shrike. Perfect comparison between banners/TV ads and pop-ups/horrible TV ads of a nightmarish alternate reality future.

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!

a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-20 13:43:16

Malacious spyware = hate crime