TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Malicious Ads... Mar. 19th, 2004 @ 11:37 AM Reply

I'm noticing that some malicious spyware and worse has been slipping through our third party ad code lately. Some of this code may even change your default homepage. It never seems to impact any of the PCs I use, so it is hard for me to track it down. I'm not sure what the difference is between the computers I use and the computers that fall victim to malicious ad code.

I just want everyone to know that we don't intentionally run these ads, nor do we profit from them. The way our ads work is this: We run third party ad code so that outside ad companies can sell the space on Newgrounds. If an ad company has the chance to sell 1 million impressions per day, but they can only fill half of that with ads, they will basically "subcontract" the other 500,000 spaces to another third party advertiser who has inventory to fill the space.

What ends up happening is, one of those third party of a third party advertisers decides to slip in some extra "fun" code, and hopes no one will trace it to them. It is hard to catch them, because no legitiment ad company wants to think malicious code is coming from their ad server.

It is also becoming very difficult because I can't seem to keep certain advertisers OFF the site. For example, one advertiser owes us for payments dating back to September 2003. They pay on a three month delay (like most ad companies), so it isn't until January that we realize we aren't getting checks anymore, and from there they are already four months behind. I removed their ad early this week, to negotiate getting caught up with payment. Within days later, the ad re-appeared on the site via a third party. The third party ad guys may be waiting three months to find out they won't get paid either.

Other times, unscrupulous advertisers will offer a lot of money to run ads that I consider too over-the-top or malicious. I'll turn them down, only to see the ad running on the site days later - only instead of getting the 100% payment, I'm just getting 50% from a third party... Or worse... The third party is getting 50% from another third party, and I'm getting 50% of that. You can see why we have to run so many ads just to cover hosting expenses, because it trickles down through so many companies in-between. Everyone takes a piece on the way to our bank account.

I'm hoping that when we launch a new site design, with superbanners on every page (the front page will only have one superbanner, not a superbanner and regular banner at the top as it currently does), we will be able to severely cut back on the pop-up code that runs on the site. I've grown tired of trying to stay on top of abusers, and it is even harder to manage while I'm out here in San Diego working on Alien Hominid! Keep those fingers crossed...

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Earfetish
Earfetish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to Malicious Ads... Mar. 19th, 2004 @ 11:40 AM Reply

Awww Jeez, not again.

The other ad that pisses me off is the one with the address bar, because my pop-up blocker doesn't see it as an ad.

HeRetiK
HeRetiK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Blank Slate
Response to Malicious Ads... Mar. 19th, 2004 @ 11:52 AM Reply

meh. i haven't faced one of these malicious ad yet, but it sucks to hear that they're back.

bloojam
bloojam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to Malicious Ads... Mar. 19th, 2004 @ 11:53 AM Reply

Why not use Google AdSense? I get a good return rate, and i run a small shitty hotspot site that barely anyone knows about - if you did it on NG, you'd rake in the money - and then of course give a share to me :p Nah, just kidding,

I'd gladly miss that money for all the quality content on NG.

Akula
Akula
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Malicious Ads... Mar. 19th, 2004 @ 11:54 AM Reply

I am getting this annoying Expedia add, which shift's every single page down. It only load's on the "thank you" voting pages.(or on pages with the old layout)

Bertuzzi44
Bertuzzi44
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Blank Slate
Response to Malicious Ads... Mar. 19th, 2004 @ 11:55 AM Reply

The ads haven't effected me, yet...

The last malicious ads did, though... When will this new site design be released, Tom? :D

Haksaw
Haksaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate

I had been getting these malicious ads for a couple of months off Newgrounds, so I downloaded Ad-aware to get rid of them and that seems to work well.

SabreNoose
SabreNoose
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate

At 3/19/04 11:37 AM, TomFulp wrote: I'm noticing that some malicious spyware and worse has been slipping through our third party ad code lately. Some of this code may even change your default homepage. It never seems to impact any of the PCs I use, so it is hard for me to track it down. I'm not sure what the difference is between the computers I use and the computers that fall victim to malicious ad code.

theres this one pop up from some phone company that initiates a download popup that forces you to download it if you dont press alt-f4 to close the window

Zendra
Zendra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 51
Blank Slate
Response to Malicious Ads... Mar. 19th, 2004 @ 11:56 AM Reply

Man, I hope thoes ads are going down! And what do you mean with: 'new webdesign'? A brand new layout?

Akula
Akula
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Malicious Ads... Mar. 19th, 2004 @ 11:59 AM Reply

1. Can Norton Internet security stop these malicious adds

2. WTF happened to the portal top 50!(although it's ok already)

Malicious Ads...

QueenOfTheBlammed
QueenOfTheBlammed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Malicious Ads... Mar. 19th, 2004 @ 12:00 PM Reply

At 3/19/04 11:37 AM, TomFulp wrote: I'm hoping that when we launch a new site design

I hope your plan works out for you, Tom. Smite the pop ups!

PONGpaddle
PONGpaddle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Malicious Ads... Mar. 19th, 2004 @ 12:00 PM Reply

I've had a few malicious ads over the last few months, some of them are made by GAIN (Gator), others are just random ones like spyware toolbars.

Hooray for Super Banners!!!

QueenOfTheBlammed
QueenOfTheBlammed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Malicious Ads... Mar. 19th, 2004 @ 12:02 PM Reply

At 3/19/04 11:59 AM, -Akula- wrote: 2. WTF happened to the portal top 50!(although it's ok already)

Dude, i think your compy was just temporarily fucked, cause the top 50 is fine on mine.

deckheadtottie
deckheadtottie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 59
Programmer
Response to Malicious Ads... Mar. 19th, 2004 @ 12:02 PM Reply

Take it with a pinch of salt, then kill the fuckers

#coys

BBS Signature
mchawking
mchawking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Malicious Ads... Mar. 19th, 2004 @ 12:07 PM Reply

Yeah those ads are a major pain in the ass. It totally fucks up my internet spawning multiple windows and changing my homepage. What company is responsible for them??

Nate
http://www.natenation.com

lightning
lightning
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Malicious Ads... Mar. 19th, 2004 @ 12:07 PM Reply

Does any one know what to do against that http://mysearchnow.com/ banner i get on IE? I know newgrunding posted athread about that ones but i don't remember where.

Mr-Destruction
Mr-Destruction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Malicious Ads... Mar. 19th, 2004 @ 12:09 PM Reply

At 3/19/04 11:37 AM, TomFulp wrote: we will be able to severely cut back on the pop-up code that runs on the site.

dont worry about that, most of us use mozilla.

BBS Signature
Daedo-The-Mofo
Daedo-The-Mofo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Malicious Ads... Mar. 19th, 2004 @ 12:10 PM Reply

For a while back, I was getting pop ups to download GAIN software on every page, that would continually come up 2 or 3 times before it went away. As soon as I went to a new portal entry, the same thing happened again. I'm glad it's stopped now.

Mr-Fluffykins
Mr-Fluffykins
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Malicious Ads... Mar. 19th, 2004 @ 12:14 PM Reply

Forget about thoose cunts.......
Work hard on alien hominid were all looking forward to it!

LSD!

BBS Signature
Akula
Akula
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Malicious Ads... Mar. 19th, 2004 @ 12:19 PM Reply

Norton Internet Security, blocks pop ups for me. I had it set to block adds, but sometimes that's not good for the layout. So i took it of that function.

PONGpaddle
PONGpaddle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Malicious Ads... Mar. 19th, 2004 @ 12:36 PM Reply

At 3/19/04 12:07 PM, _lightning_ wrote: Does any one know what to do against that http://mysearchnow.com/ banner i get on IE? I know newgrunding posted athread about that ones but i don't remember where.

You need ad-aware: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

lightning
lightning
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Malicious Ads... Mar. 19th, 2004 @ 12:49 PM Reply

At 3/19/04 12:36 PM, SamG wrote:
At 3/19/04 12:07 PM, _lightning_ wrote: Does any one know what to do against that http://mysearchnow.com/ banner i get on IE? I know newgrunding posted athread about that ones but i don't remember where.
You need ad-aware: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

All ready tryed that......

DocWily
DocWily
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Malicious Ads... Mar. 19th, 2004 @ 01:10 PM Reply

Here's my solution. I run Mozilla Firebird, and I have my McAffe Firewall backing that up. I haven't gotten a single popup since I bought my computer. Firebird is a free download, btw.

Ninja-in-the-shadows
Ninja-in-the-shadows
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Malicious Ads... Mar. 19th, 2004 @ 01:16 PM Reply

Those dirty bastards!

lightning
lightning
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Malicious Ads... Mar. 19th, 2004 @ 01:56 PM Reply

At 3/19/04 01:10 PM, DocWily wrote: Firebird is a free download, btw.

You should get the new version: firefox.

Juggernaut-1
Juggernaut-1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Malicious Ads... Mar. 19th, 2004 @ 01:57 PM Reply

At 3/19/04 01:10 PM, DocWily wrote: Here's my solution. I run Mozilla Firebird, and I have my McAffe Firewall backing that up. I haven't gotten a single popup since I bought my computer. Firebird is a free download, btw.

I don't even need the firewall!! Mozilla blocks every pop up on this site! I get none...nada....zip....

Doomraver87
Doomraver87
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Malicious Ads... Mar. 19th, 2004 @ 02:19 PM Reply

I get a new load of spyware every weak from ur site...
I've got a program to solve most of te problems (spybot search and destroy) but the searchbars in IE are a real pain in the ass...
I hope the adcrap ands soon cauze it spoils al the fun of this site...
I hate who ever invented spywhare!!!!!!

Malicious Ads...

Doomraver87
Doomraver87
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Malicious Ads... Mar. 19th, 2004 @ 02:20 PM Reply

*ends

bOnGo-NuTs
bOnGo-NuTs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Malicious Ads... Mar. 19th, 2004 @ 02:26 PM Reply

All of you people using pop up blockers are costing NG money. <sarcasm>How supportive</sarcasm>

hoass169
hoass169
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Malicious Ads... Mar. 19th, 2004 @ 02:28 PM Reply

I get them just about everytime i come here but i just use adware to get rid of them