00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GingaSnappd just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Improving one of my pieces.

89,423 Views | 813 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-11-23 15:43:24

More characters for people.

:1

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-11-23 15:45:14

And another one :)

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-11-27 14:31:17

2 more characters :D

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-12-08 20:02:47

Working on something new, I would love to take some C+C.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-12-09 12:51:44

Wasn't digging the thick outline.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-12-09 12:55:10

changed the color to a greenish blue just cause :P

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-12-09 19:15:02

At 12/9/12 12:55 PM, Mabelma wrote: changed the color to a greenish blue just cause :P

Yeah, I prefer the new colour choice.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-12-16 13:46:17

Working on something new. Still not done but it's coming together, here's a gif btw : http://picasion.com/pic62/30693cf01e1baa26c9ffb141e44ba3a5.g if

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-12-16 13:47:47

The upload didn't work :(

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-12-16 16:55:21

A little bit more work done, I'm working on it in between freelance stuff, which is why I'm going so slowly on it.
http://i.picasion.com/pic62/9a4e9b8a76e451eb0227abdec3098778 .gif

If you have some tips on rendering the skin, they would be really appreciated. I'm having some trouble with the neck.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-12-21 14:12:09

This time around I'm trying the same exercise but being a little more careful with the anatomy of the face and I'm also doing a self portrait, something I've never really done but wanted to try it out and you know what they say, no better time than now :) Right now I'm just laying down stuff, were things should be placed and all that. Anything you might have to say before I start building up would be greatly appreciated.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-12-21 21:38:35

I was not very happy with the initial laydown so I did a little more work on it, I would really appreciate some comments before I start refining.
http://picasion.com/pic62/1a84ef061b82c8e787d2bece20d09821.g if

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-12-22 09:58:25

I think I'm happy with the initial laydowns. Should I start refining? All I want in this initial stages is to get the placement right, once I start refining I'll fix up the forms and get them looking nice and proper :)

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-12-22 10:39:58

At 12/22/12 09:58 AM, Mabelma wrote: I think I'm happy with the initial laydowns. Should I start refining? All I want in this initial stages is to get the placement right, once I start refining I'll fix up the forms and get them looking nice and proper :)

Hey man, this is okay but you've got a lot of things to work on first! A great way to get everything in the right place is to notice things that line up and make intersecting points in your head.

A few examples to get you going:
the top of the ear lines up with both ends of the left eyebrow on a horizontal line
the bottom of the ear lines up with the right nostril on a horizontal line
the right hand side of the left eyebrow lines up with the centre of the left nostril on a vertical line

See what I mean? Just keep getting all those in check and eventually you'll translate quite a good 2D picture.

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-12-23 16:03:26

I went back and actually sketched the initial positions. I thought I could do it all using values without any initial sketch but that definitely wasn't working so what about now? Did I finally get the position right?

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-12-23 18:52:47

I keep trying to fix things, I've even redone the initial sketch but I just can't get things to look fine. Every time I go back to fix something I just fuck it up more. Some help would truly be appreciated.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-12-23 19:44:10

At 12/23/12 04:03 PM, Mabelma wrote: I went back and actually sketched the initial positions. I thought I could do it all using values without any initial sketch but that definitely wasn't working so what about now? Did I finally get the position right?

Ah careful, you should only use straight horizontal and vertical lines if you're doing it this way, because they are consistant. Diagonal lines are rarely the same twice unless you're boss at it. Getting there though.

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-12-23 19:46:06

At 12/23/12 07:44 PM, Otto wrote:
At 12/23/12 04:03 PM, Mabelma wrote: I went back and actually sketched the initial positions. I thought I could do it all using values without any initial sketch but that definitely wasn't working so what about now? Did I finally get the position right?
Ah careful, you should only use straight horizontal and vertical lines if you're doing it this way, because they are consistant. Diagonal lines are rarely the same twice unless you're boss at it. Getting there though.

I should expand really. If you use only up/down left/right lines then you can see what goes where really easily because you'll start training your eye to recognise. Things look weird because you've got the back hair line below the chin when actually it's the other way around, and stuff like that. It won't help for me to just point out the bits, but if you can start to understand your drawing better then you'll do iwell yourself.

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-12-23 20:11:12

Thanks guys, that really helps a lot. I did a little more work on it, still trying to get things to look just right before refining. Still not very happy with them, but I don't know why. I know something's wrong but I just have no idea where it is.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-12-23 20:29:55

At 12/23/12 08:11 PM, Mabelma wrote: Thanks guys, that really helps a lot. I did a little more work on it, still trying to get things to look just right before refining. Still not very happy with them, but I don't know why. I know something's wrong but I just have no idea where it is.

Hey man I don't know if I was unclear or not but I'm trying to stress that if you measure things with diagonal lines, unless you instinctively have a very good eye, you are going to get it wrong.

I did this quickly so I know it's really loose and not very good, but this was me measuring it by eye, and I put the lines in afterwards. You can see immediately where I went wrong now. It's just a fairly good tool to both train your eye and judge things fairly instantly. Do the lines physically if you want but just try and do them in your head.

Haha holy shit now I see it in thumbnail this is really awful, so obviously do your own but with certain things in mind.

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-12-23 20:40:56

At 12/23/12 08:29 PM, Otto wrote: Hey man I don't know if I was unclear or not but I'm trying to stress that if you measure things with diagonal lines, unless you instinctively have a very good eye, you are going to get it wrong.

I did this quickly so I know it's really loose and not very good, but this was me measuring it by eye, and I put the lines in afterwards. You can see immediately where I went wrong now. It's just a fairly good tool to both train your eye and judge things fairly instantly. Do the lines physically if you want but just try and do them in your head.

Haha holy shit now I see it in thumbnail this is really awful, so obviously do your own but with certain things in mind.

This helps me a lot man, thanks for that. I'll go back and redo it keeping in mind what you said, thanks. Here's a little bit of refining study I just finished. I wasn't really worrying much about proportions/anatomy, it was all just about trying to get the features to blend properly and all that.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-12-23 20:55:52

I think I'm finally getting somewhere, any comments?

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-12-24 13:14:04

Gone and done some more work on that little self portrait :)

And yes, I love me some gifs:
http://picasion.com/pic62/9f6ba885334571edc786533bfa228aa3.g if

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-12-24 14:56:12

At 12/24/12 01:55 PM, bilznatch wrote:
At 12/24/12 01:14 PM, Mabelma wrote: Gone and done some more work on that little self portrait :)

And yes, I love me some gifs:
http://picasion.com/pic62/9f6ba885334571edc786533bfa228aa3.g if
Wow, by eye just looking between the pictures it doesn't seem that drastic. That self portrait has improved much more than I thought. Keep up the good work :D

I'm glad you think so mate, thank you so much for your help. Here's a little bit of freelance work I just finished.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-12-24 16:22:40

Doing a little more work on the self portrait, am I going in the right direction?

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-12-24 18:38:54

And a Raichu in a pear tree.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-12-25 11:53:57

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-12-27 11:45:39

Finally giving up on the self portrait, I've learned a lot on this project. Thank you everyone who dropped by and lend me a hand it has been a great experience. Now onto the next thing :)

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2013-01-01 23:34:33

More pokemons doodles.
:1/2

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2013-01-01 23:35:35

More pokemons doodles.

2/2