00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

supahVEVO just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Improving one of my pieces.

89,426 Views | 813 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-06-27 20:46:21

At 6/27/12 07:23 PM, Mabelma wrote: I'm tired of the Goddamn dragon by now but if I want to improve I gotta fix those mistakes and stick through to the end.

Awesome, you're posting in NG again :D

I have no idea what advice I can give on your style or anatomy BUT I can try give out ideas for you to use if you want to. (I use photoshop cs3 to mess around with this)

As far as I can tell, your drawing was flat, maybe it needed shadows (I kind of gone about the whole coloring sloppy and without thinking about light source, which you could of consider).

I used the multiply layer effect to give the shadow, you could gradient your shadows if you want to.

Maybe it need highlights ( I use an overlay layer or maybe that blue shadow circle you had need reflective colors relative to your dragon.

Maybe you want to try a color lines instead of black lines.

Maybe you want to add more details for something extra on this dragon.

Or you maybe want to try more textures.

Anywho I hope you'll get an idea out of this and work out some new things.

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-06-27 21:55:49

At 6/27/12 08:46 PM, ZaneZansorrow wrote:
Awesome, you're posting in NG again :D

It's Zane!!! Glad to be back, great to hear from you :)

I have no idea what advice I can give on your style or anatomy BUT I can try give out ideas for you to use if you want to. (I use photoshop cs3 to mess around with this)

As far as I can tell, your drawing was flat, maybe it needed shadows (I kind of gone about the whole coloring sloppy and without thinking about light source, which you could of consider).

I love what you did with those shadows!!! They make the whole thing pop, I'm not going to fix the dragon as I'm sick of the whole piece and I've redone so many things that I just want to move forward to another thing, but everything you say will be taken into consideration on my next image. Like more contrast on those shadows, again, I just love how it makes everything pop.

I used the multiply layer effect to give the shadow, you could gradient your shadows if you want to.

Right now, what I'm doing is adding a mask layer with the curve pretty high, and adding a gradient to the whole figure, then I make another mask layer and shade there. This way I can change the flat colors and the shadows transfer to any color with ease, it's a pretty neat little trick. Learned it from Vero.

Maybe it need highlights ( I use an overlay layer or maybe that blue shadow circle you had need reflective colors relative to your dragon.

The highlights are really nice, I was afraid that too much light would give the dragon a sort of glossy feeling, but I see that it does not, I really need to amp up the contrast.

Maybe you want to try a color lines instead of black lines.

I'll have to try it out sometime.

Maybe you want to add more details for something extra on this dragon.

I don't know how you did the smoke but it looks really nice, I would love to hear how you did that.

Or you maybe want to try more textures.

Texture is something I really need to work on. I'm pretty happy with the texture on the dragon but I know it could of have been a lot better. I gotta check out a couple of videos/links on texturing.

Anywho I hope you'll get an idea out of this and work out some new things.

Thanks for everything Zane you were of great help, I hope to hear more from you as I post more images :)

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-06-28 15:49:33

Today's prompt is Hobby :D At first I was just gonna draw a hobbit because I don't know, the words sound incredibly familiar but then one thing let to another and I ended up wanting to draw this. A skeleton that collects bones. As always feedback will be greatly appreciated. Personally, this image is a little more ambitious than my usual stuff so I would really like to hear what you think about it.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-06-29 17:38:50

A lot of the bones were fucked up on that first sketch so I went back and redid them using some proper reference. I'll be inking and coloring this once I'm happy with the initial sketch. So if you think something should be fixed tell me and I'll try my best to fix it. Enjoy and leave some feedback :)

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-06-29 21:33:05

I liked the original skeleton. But i like the decision on the redraw more.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-06-29 22:08:01

Inked and shaded, I still need to work on somethings like the background but overall I'm pretty happy with it so far. As always, comments greatly appreciated :)

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-06-29 22:51:38

At 6/29/12 10:08 PM, Mabelma wrote: Inked and shaded, I still need to work on somethings like the background but overall I'm pretty happy with it so far. As always, comments greatly appreciated :)

Small complaint that can be ignored.

When i visualize your skeleton now it seems disconected. Mostly because i feel the style of how the head is drawn in comparison to the realistic design of the body seem miss matched. Even though i can find similarities it is hard for me to visually read the "neck" even though its obvious you don't want to draw one.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-06-30 14:34:43

Added the rest of the spine, tidied a couple of things, and finished up the background. I'm pretty happy with how it came out, not the best background but I like how it makes the skeleton stand out. Enjoy and as always feedback greatly appreciated :)

Hopefully you can visualize the neck a little better now.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-06-30 15:36:15

I can now understand that their is a neck and i can force myself to visualize it. But the same problem still exists to me its not an easy read. I have to look over it more then once to fully take in. Not saying its bad im just being picky here.

Also, i think some shadows and lighting for the backround in certain areas not too drastic or anything will really flesh out the background and give it more life. But i think its nice as it is.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-06-30 15:50:45

At 6/30/12 03:36 PM, PMMurphy wrote: I can now understand that their is a neck and i can force myself to visualize it. But the same problem still exists to me its not an easy read. I have to look over it more then once to fully take in. Not saying its bad im just being picky here.

Also, i think some shadows and lighting for the backround in certain areas not too drastic or anything will really flesh out the background and give it more life. But i think its nice as it is.

Thanks for the comment, personally I really don't want to add that neck, it would just kill the whole floating head concept I have going on but thanks for your comments though, I really appreciate them.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-06-30 16:03:21

At 6/30/12 03:50 PM, Mabelma wrote: Thanks for the comment, personally I really don't want to add that neck, it would just kill the whole floating head concept I have going on but thanks for your comments though, I really appreciate them.

Keep the floating head concept but redraw the skull to resemble a (somewhat) more realistic skull. But keep the way the structure and teeth look, i like the expression.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-06-30 16:07:17

At 6/30/12 04:03 PM, PMMurphy wrote: Keep the floating head concept but redraw the skull to resemble a (somewhat) more realistic skull. But keep the way the structure and teeth look, i like the expression.

Nah' I'm done with this image but thanks for suggesting it though.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-06-30 19:34:43

So I drew Gary the Snail. I originally wanted to draw spongebob sitting on a saddle but after a couple of sketches just decided to scratch the whole concept and just draw a big ass snail with a spike collar. It'll be a good experiment, I want to see if I can get that whole sticky substance texture down on painting. Anyways, the mushrooms are there to give you a sort of idea of how big the snail really is. (originally was going to be posted as a submission for a Re-Imagine Spongebob challenge over on deviantart)

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-06-30 19:41:09

At 6/30/12 07:34 PM, Mabelma wrote: So I drew Gary the Snail. I originally wanted to draw spongebob sitting on a saddle but after a couple of sketches just decided to scratch the whole concept and just draw a big ass snail with a spike collar. It'll be a good experiment, I want to see if I can get that whole sticky substance texture down on painting. Anyways, the mushrooms are there to give you a sort of idea of how big the snail really is. (originally was going to be posted as a submission for a Re-Imagine Spongebob challenge over on deviantart)

Looks really promising, looking forward to its progress! I like how it stretches over to one side, you made the "sticking to the ground" come across very well on the opposite end of the snail by that.

Overall very nice stuff in your thread, I enjoy it.

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-06-30 19:45:18

At 6/30/12 07:41 PM, Luwano wrote: Looks really promising, looking forward to its progress! I like how it stretches over to one side, you made the "sticking to the ground" come across very well on the opposite end of the snail by that.

Overall very nice stuff in your thread, I enjoy it.

Thanks man, I hope I can deliver with this image. I've been trying to improve a little more with each image, and I'm really glad that you and others can enjoy my slow improvement :)

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-01 19:19:19

Inked, now onto coloring. Enjoy, looking forward to your feedback :)

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-01 20:06:53

All done, hope you like it. I would love to hear some feedback :)

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-02 13:04:12

Went back and fixed a couple of things I wasn't very happy with, also took out all the black just to see how the whole image felt. I think I like this way more.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-02 13:59:12

At 7/2/12 01:04 PM, Mabelma wrote: Went back and fixed a couple of things I wasn't very happy with, also took out all the black just to see how the whole image felt. I think I like this way more.

IT definitely looks better without the black lines, but I think it'd look a bit nicer if you made it so that the slime kind of trickled down the slope of his underside, so that you can still see that movement and curve. Loving this piece btw, cracks me up!

every morn I awake from the cavernous night

look at my pictures

look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-02 14:27:40

At 7/2/12 01:59 PM, DemocracyFTW wrote:
At 7/2/12 01:04 PM, Mabelma wrote: Went back and fixed a couple of things I wasn't very happy with, also took out all the black just to see how the whole image felt. I think I like this way more.
IT definitely looks better without the black lines, but I think it'd look a bit nicer if you made it so that the slime kind of trickled down the slope of his underside, so that you can still see that movement and curve. Loving this piece btw, cracks me up!

I'm glad you like it Democracy, and thank you for leaving a comment :) By underside do you mean something like this? Or do you mean it should follow the little curves it all ready has on it's belly?

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-02 15:34:28

At 7/2/12 02:27 PM, Mabelma wrote:
I'm glad you like it Democracy, and thank you for leaving a comment :) By underside do you mean something like this? Or do you mean it should follow the little curves it all ready has on it's belly?

I mean that it should follow the curves across his belly. It's kind of hard to explain so I just drew over yours... Basically the slime droplets should be kind of curving with the lines that are vertical-ish. So yeah, kind of like what you said. I can't do the thing with words so well today

look at my pictures

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-02 17:56:00

At 7/2/12 03:34 PM, DemocracyFTW wrote: I mean that it should follow the curves across his belly. It's kind of hard to explain so I just drew over yours... Basically the slime droplets should be kind of curving with the lines that are vertical-ish. So yeah, kind of like what you said. I can't do the thing with words so well today

Words are for losers, now pictures, pictures is where it's at. I tried fixing it as best as I could, hopefully that's better.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-02 18:48:21

At 7/2/12 05:56 PM, Mabelma wrote:
At 7/2/12 03:34 PM, DemocracyFTW wrote: I mean that it should follow the curves across his belly. It's kind of hard to explain so I just drew over yours... Basically the slime droplets should be kind of curving with the lines that are vertical-ish. So yeah, kind of like what you said. I can't do the thing with words so well today
Words are for losers, now pictures, pictures is where it's at. I tried fixing it as best as I could, hopefully that's better.

Yeah I predict within the next one to two years words will be entirely replaced with pictures. That looks much better though, just gives it a better feel. Like his underside is actually curved up and everything. Well done!

look at my pictures

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-02 19:36:19

At 7/2/12 06:48 PM, DemocracyFTW wrote:
At 7/2/12 05:56 PM, Mabelma wrote:
Yeah I predict within the next one to two years words will be entirely replaced with pictures. That looks much better though, just gives it a better feel. Like his underside is actually curved up and everything. Well done!

Thanks for that suggestion man, it does look much better :) and hell yeah, I wouldn't mind leaving in a world where the only method of communication are pictures. Come to think of it, art/visuals are an universal language.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-02 21:45:23

Went back, hopefully for the last time and fixed a couple of things wrong with the shading, hope you like it.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-02 21:47:48

At 7/2/12 09:45 PM, Mabelma wrote: Went back, hopefully for the last time and fixed a couple of things wrong with the shading, hope you like it.

New VS OLD

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-03 00:09:54

At 7/2/12 09:47 PM, Mabelma wrote: New VS OLD

Mowwwww

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-03 05:57:21

At 7/3/12 12:09 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 7/2/12 09:47 PM, Mabelma wrote: New VS OLD
Mowwwww

I'm not sure if you're saying, More, No, or making the sound Gary makes... Jonny why are you so difficult to understand?!?!?! :'(

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-03 10:43:48

At 7/3/12 05:57 AM, Mabelma wrote: I'm not sure if you're saying, More, No, or making the sound Gary makes... Jonny why are you so difficult to understand?!?!?!

I was making the Gary sound, probably should have included a link though.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-03 11:29:30

I like the changes you made to the snail. I was about to post about the black lines, when you suddenly uploaded the next version. These final changes to the shading really made this one pop even more. Great job.

At 7/3/12 05:57 AM, Mabelma wrote:
I'm not sure if you're saying, More, No, or making the sound Gary makes... Jonny why are you so difficult to understand?!?!?! :'(

He may have made the Gary sound, but deep in his heart he also wants MOAR!

like me

BBS Signature