00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Improving one of my pieces.

89,412 Views | 813 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2014-03-30 18:54:20

At 3/30/14 05:09 PM, ZaneZansorrow wrote:
At 3/23/14 02:23 PM, Mabelma wrote: Parasect!!
Trying out a new style with my pokemon :)
I'm liking that style very much :3 It's like a cartoon picture book.

At 3/30/14 02:07 PM, Mabelma wrote: It'd love to get some requests to draw up for my youtube channel (http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkQFRET-4O44g1pYTvaQT5g)
so if you'd like me to maybe draw a mash-up of your favorite things like maybe some Doctor Who + Pokemon or some crazy business like that be sure to leave a suggestion.
Overall just suggest some fan-art you'd like me to draw :)
Draw QT and Meow from Space Dandy

What is this Space Dandy you talk about?! This google image search yields beautiful art!!!

Also really glad you like it, I was inspired by this dude, obviously I suck a huge bag of donkey digs compared to him but I love the whole no outline idea.
http://cryptid-creations.tumblr.com/

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2014-03-30 19:41:56

At 3/30/14 06:54 PM, Mabelma wrote: What is this Space Dandy you talk about?! This google image search yields beautiful art!!!

Space Dandy is a Dandy in space who travel across the universe to capture rare aliens...while stopping by at his occasional favorite space restaurant Boobies. It's also an anime with no particular plot, but animation is good and tends switch up sometime. QT is a robot and Meow is a cat alien.

Also really glad you like it, I was inspired by this dude, obviously I suck a huge bag of donkey digs compared to him but I love the whole no outline idea.
http://cryptid-creations.tumblr.com/

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat maybe half-ly true but striving to be better and coming into term with your style will pay off, keep on trying something a little different while holding true to your style.

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2014-03-30 20:56:40

At 3/30/14 07:41 PM, ZaneZansorrow wrote: Space Dandy is a Dandy in space who travel across the universe to capture rare aliens...while stopping by at his occasional favorite space restaurant Boobies. It's also an anime with no particular plot, but animation is good and tends switch up sometime. QT is a robot and Meow is a cat alien.

I love this idea so much!! Can I watch it on netflix? Also definitely gonna do a drawing of this!

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat maybe half-ly true but striving to be better and coming into term with your style will pay off, keep on trying something a little different while holding true to your style.

Thank you mate :) I promise to do just that!

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2014-04-06 03:48:20

Got a couple of new images to upload, but I decided that I was just going to post Wips in this thread, that way I can get some actual feedback, rather than looking like a dummy by posting "finished" images. So expect a work in progress after this new image :P

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2014-04-09 19:24:35

Figured that if I wanted criticism, I should post work in progress and not "finished" pieces, that being said here's one of the things I'm currently working on, it's a "mash-up" of wander from wander over yonder and wander from shadow of the colossus, let me know what you think of the sketch so far, what you think could use some fixing and all that :)

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2014-04-20 09:01:51

Need to get back to that SOTC fan-art but in the meantime here's some background stuff for an animation I'm working on

1/2

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2014-04-20 09:04:40

Numero dos

2/2

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2014-04-24 06:30:25

Color planning on that Wander piece. I want to go really heavy on the yellows and purples, so almost everything will have a yellowish tint for highlights and a purple tint for shading.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2014-04-27 15:49:08

Experimenting with my colors :)

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2014-05-08 22:53:54

Coverart for the awesome @Chongo (http://chongo.newgrounds.com/)

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2014-05-18 15:07:43

nanananannanaa freaking batman!!

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2014-05-25 14:32:09

A shirt design for a band of a friend :)

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2014-06-15 16:58:40

All done with the Wander of the colossus image, hope you like it :)

You can watch me draw it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUvWp_fWlBw&list=UUkQFRET-4O44g1pYTvaQT5g

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2014-06-22 09:46:43

Trying to learn how to do backgrounds and such, while also learning to render things so here's some of that, still not done because I want to a bunch more things but I'm liking it so far.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2014-06-22 11:27:19

At 6/22/14 09:46 AM, Mabelma wrote: Trying to learn how to do backgrounds and such, while also learning to render things so here's some of that, still not done because I want to a bunch more things but I'm liking it so far.

The bottom rocks will probably be covered by shadow since they're centered under the island, so I'd shade those and perhaps fade the furthermost rocks out to increase that illusion of depth.

Otherwise I think it looks wonderful!

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2014-06-22 23:27:14

At 6/22/14 11:27 AM, Havegum wrote:
At 6/22/14 09:46 AM, Mabelma wrote: Trying to learn how to do backgrounds and such, while also learning to render things so here's some of that, still not done because I want to a bunch more things but I'm liking it so far.
The bottom rocks will probably be covered by shadow since they're centered under the island, so I'd shade those and perhaps fade the furthermost rocks out to increase that illusion of depth.

Otherwise I think it looks wonderful!

Shit!!! It's Gummy!! Haven't talked to you in forever! Thanks so much for the feedback, I see what you mean I'll fix that ASAP! And I'm really happy you like it! Btw: did you fix anything on the background or just crop it?

And as a side note why did you add the rocks on the bottom side? To further depth or to balance things?

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2014-06-23 08:43:08

At 6/22/14 11:27 PM, Mabelma wrote: Shit!!! It's Gummy!! Haven't talked to you in forever! Thanks so much for the feedback, I see what you mean I'll fix that ASAP! And I'm really happy you like it! Btw: did you fix anything on the background or just crop it?

And as a side note why did you add the rocks on the bottom side? To further depth or to balance things?

Haha yeah long time no see - I see you've come such a long way since you started!

I added the extra rocks because I felt the silhouette of the floating island wouldn't read as easily. I imagine floating rocks would sort of "build up" around the center, so I tried to balance that out.

Another thing is I notice it looks like it's built up by "panels" of rocks, I'd try breaking the shapes down to more resemble a rocky surface

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2014-06-23 12:29:41

At 6/23/14 08:43 AM, Havegum wrote:
At 6/22/14 11:27 PM, Mabelma wrote: Shit!!! It's Gummy!! Haven't talked to you in forever! Thanks so much for the feedback, I see what you mean I'll fix that ASAP! And I'm really happy you like it! Btw: did you fix anything on the background or just crop it?

Haha yeah long time no see - I see you've come such a long way since you started!

I added the extra rocks because I felt the silhouette of the floating island wouldn't read as easily. I imagine floating rocks would sort of "build up" around the center, so I tried to balance that out.

Another thing is I notice it looks like it's built up by "panels" of rocks, I'd try breaking the shapes down to more resemble a rocky surface

Thanks man! I haven't seen your work in a while, but from this images your posting I envy how good you've gotten cause damn!!!

I see, what do you think makes "rocks" like how did you break it down? It looks way better like that, I'm just having a bit of trouble understanding how the break down should happen.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2014-06-23 12:38:19

At 6/23/14 12:29 PM, Mabelma wrote: Thanks man! I haven't seen your work in a while, but from this images your posting I envy how good you've gotten cause damn!!!

I see, what do you think makes "rocks" like how did you break it down? It looks way better like that, I'm just having a bit of trouble understanding how the break down should happen.

Thanks! It's not until recently I've actually picked drawing back up, but I'm much more serious about studies now than before.

As for the rocks, if you can't get it right by experimenting, try looking up pictures of collections of rocks that resemble the texture you want. Here's a picture of a rock slide that might be suitable. Try greyscaling it and see how the light, shapes and surfaces interact with eachother!

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2014-06-23 13:05:54

At 6/23/14 12:38 PM, Havegum wrote:
At 6/23/14 12:29 PM, Mabelma wrote: Thanks man! I haven't seen your work in a while, but from this images your posting I envy how good you've gotten cause damn!!!

Thanks! It's not until recently I've actually picked drawing back up, but I'm much more serious about studies now than before.

As for the rocks, if you can't get it right by experimenting, try looking up pictures of collections of rocks that resemble the texture you want. Here's a picture of a rock slide that might be suitable. Try greyscaling it and see how the light, shapes and surfaces interact with eachother!

That's awesome man, I'm trying to do the same, furthering my knowledge with anatomy and all that!

I think you forgot the image, but no worries man, I'll look that up for sure and try it out :) Thanks for everything.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2014-06-29 13:02:07

Took a little break from the island to try something out :) A collab with some mates.
Sketch by: lambeflores.deviantart.com
Ink by: gscratcher.deviantart.com
Colors by yours truly :)
Watch me draw it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqwYMmreS9A&list=UUkQFRET-4O44g1pYTvaQT5g

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2014-06-29 14:57:35

Some of the colours blend towards the background. I find it's helpful to check my drawings in greyscale to see if the values are conveying what I want them to. Afterwards, it's just a matter of pushing the values around so that everything gets a clear read.

I did a really quick adjustment to illustrate my point

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2014-06-29 18:30:55

At 6/29/14 02:57 PM, Havegum wrote: Some of the colours blend towards the background. I find it's helpful to check my drawings in greyscale to see if the values are conveying what I want them to. Afterwards, it's just a matter of pushing the values around so that everything gets a clear read.

I did a really quick adjustment to illustrate my point

Thanks man!! That actually helps out a ton, and when you say pushing around the values, do you mean fixing up those parts with better values or pushing around sliders around in photoshop, like in the saturation panel or whatever? Just wondering, for curiosity, cause I understand what you mean, I'm definitely gonna start turning my images to greyscale to fix little mistakes like that.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2014-06-29 18:38:00

At 6/29/14 06:30 PM, Mabelma wrote: when you say pushing around the values, do you mean fixing up those parts with better values or pushing around sliders around in photoshop, like in the saturation panel or whatever?

By value I'm referring to the brightness, make sure there is enough contrast between the elements to make them read against each other and the background.

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2014-07-14 16:35:24

At 6/29/14 06:38 PM, Havegum wrote:
At 6/29/14 06:30 PM, Mabelma wrote: when you say pushing around the values, do you mean fixing up those parts with better values or pushing around sliders around in photoshop, like in the saturation panel or whatever?
By value I'm referring to the brightness, make sure there is enough contrast between the elements to make them read against each other and the background.

So sorry I never answered man, I read it but forgot to answer, I truly appreciate it though, I'm trying it out on a couple of things that I hope to post soon.

Till then here's an abra :)
Watch me draw this over at my youtube channel:
http://youtu.be/UnusPyLZ9yg

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2014-07-14 17:52:04

I think the pose looks a bit stiff, and the angle makes the forms a bit difficult to read. By applying dynamic and expressive poses you can make your subjects seem more lifelike, and convey more personality. Even relaxed poses can be expressive and very telling of the characters personality.

I've added some quick examples, I think it's probably a good idea to sketch out quite a few poses before committing to one to make sure you're ending up with the message you want to convey.

Also sorry if it seems like I'm constantly being a petty critic! It's helpful for me formulating my thoughts, and I think if anyone else can benefit from it it might be worth sharing.

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2014-07-14 18:10:29

At 7/14/14 05:52 PM, Havegum wrote:
Also sorry if it seems like I'm constantly being a petty critic! It's helpful for me formulating my thoughts, and I think if anyone else can benefit from it it might be worth sharing.

I see what you mean, is this where line of action comes into play and such?

And dude, don't even apologize! I love this! Thank you very much for it, I really do benefit quite a lot from it. Trust me, I love it as much as you do :P

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2014-07-14 19:19:09

Hello! Glad to see you're still up and about in the Art Forum. It's been a while since I've seen this thread of yours. You've certainly improved to a great degree. The thing I've noticed when you do your pictures is that you have minimal blending between your shades and highlights. I don't know if it's intentional since it's your style, but I think a bit more would help. Again not saying that you should since this is only a matter of personal preference in my opinion.

I really like that mega blaziken art you have, it's a cut above the rest of your previous works. I see you've been doing a lot of pokemon. Is it like a mission to make art of every single one? If it is, then that's pretty awesome. I would definitely like to see that when it is completed. Stay awesome.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2014-07-14 21:18:26

At 7/14/14 07:19 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: Hello! Glad to see you're still up and about in the Art Forum. It's been a while since I've seen this thread of yours. You've certainly improved to a great degree. The thing I've noticed when you do your pictures is that you have minimal blending between your shades and highlights. I don't know if it's intentional since it's your style, but I think a bit more would help. Again not saying that you should since this is only a matter of personal preference in my opinion.

Thank you so much for posting! I love your work!! As for the coloring, truth be told, I'm still trying to get better with it, so it might just be a flaw in my coloring, I'll try out some more blending see what happens :) Thank you so much for the feedback.

I really like that mega blaziken art you have, it's a cut above the rest of your previous works. I see you've been doing a lot of pokemon. Is it like a mission to make art of every single one? If it is, then that's pretty awesome. I would definitely like to see that when it is completed. Stay awesome.

Thank you, I really like it myself, and I'm trying to take that level of quality to my more important pieces, as for the pokemon project, well I'm trying to draw all 151 pokemon from the first generation. As of right now I've done 107, and I've learned a ton of things while doing it, so I can't wait to finish them all. That being said, They take me at the most 2 hours, so I don't take too much time with them, for this project, I basically try the whole "Fail a lot and fail fast method" so I try a bunch of new things every time I do a new one, trying to focus on what I may be doing wrong, in my general art and trying to fix it, if it works great if it doesn't I'll try something new.

Below I've attached all the pokemons that I've done so fast, hopefully you can see what I mean by failing a lot and failing fast, for example look at Charizard and then at Abra, you can see how better my art has gotten since I did that one.

I would truly appreciated if you stayed around and posted some more, I truly welcome the feedback, my job has been killing me lately but I should be able to post a bunch of new stuff that isn't necessarily pokemon related. I really want to apply a lot of what Gummy said.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2014-07-17 19:01:06

I want to put into practice what everyone's been saying, and decided to do it all in one new piece. So here's the sketch for that, trying out what @Havegum said about the line of action and such. Wanted to have him sort of resting, just chilling there but still have him feel cool :)