New Topic Respond to this Topic
Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-04 17:19:20 Reply

At 7/3/12 11:29 AM, Luwano wrote: I like the changes you made to the snail. I was about to post about the black lines, when you suddenly uploaded the next version. These final changes to the shading really made this one pop even more. Great job.

At 7/3/12 05:57 AM, Mabelma wrote:
I'm not sure if you're saying, More, No, or making the sound Gary makes... Jonny why are you so difficult to understand?!?!?! :'(
He may have made the Gary sound, but deep in his heart he also wants MOAR!

like me

Jajajajajaja, then I most please my demanding fans :P Currently I'm working on this, character design is generic, yes, but on this piece I'm trying to work on environment design, and actually painting more complex scenes. Also trying to tell a "story" I plan on adding maybe a house or a nice little silhouette of a city farther in the background but so far I have this sketch. As the last image, this piece is out of my comfort zone so I would appreciate anything and everything you may have to say, at any stage of the piece, feel free to comment. Enjoy.

Improving one of my pieces.

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-06 09:34:08 Reply

Took a break from that other piece, and drew a dragon :D

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-06 17:02:35 Reply

At 7/6/12 03:49 PM, Larkatosa wrote:
At 7/6/12 09:34 AM, Mabelma wrote: Took a break from that other piece, and drew a dragon :D
Ohh! Me like! Cutsy feet.

I'm glad you like it :)

So I did some more work on the previous image, not very happy with how it came out, any feedback would be truly welcome.

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-06 17:09:18 Reply

Also, here's a pretty cool looking elephant I did for a client, to balance the disgust from the "COLD" piece.

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-07 04:51:02 Reply

Trying to work on my rendering skills, also working on light and shadow. First time I've ever really try this digitally, I really enjoyed the process so I'll be doing a couple more of these. Really fun little experiment this was :) As always, comments and all greatly welcome. The proportions are crazy wrong but I would love some tips/trick/feedback on rendering and shading. Enjoy.

Left Reference Picture, Right Digital Painting.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-07 10:41:05 Reply

At 7/6/12 05:09 PM, Mabelma wrote: Also, here's a pretty cool looking elephant I did for a client, to balance the disgust from the "COLD" piece.

His right (our left) hand is a lot bigger than his left hand.

DemocracyFTW
DemocracyFTW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-07 13:25:25 Reply

At 7/7/12 04:51 AM, Mabelma wrote: Trying to work on my rendering skills, also working on light and shadow. First time I've ever really try this digitally, I really enjoyed the process so I'll be doing a couple more of these. Really fun little experiment this was :) As always, comments and all greatly welcome. The proportions are crazy wrong but I would love some tips/trick/feedback on rendering and shading. Enjoy.

Left Reference Picture, Right Digital Painting.

You really need to up the contrasts as is. The darker spots should practically be black and the lightest spots should be almost white. That should give it more depth and a better feel for it. When working in black and white you have to contrast the hell out of the colors. In several areas the photograph is white and on your page it is a light gray at best. Keep up the practice though, this is how you learn and improve!

every morn I awake from the cavernous night
look at my pictures
look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature
Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-07 13:36:47 Reply

At 7/7/12 01:25 PM, DemocracyFTW wrote: You really need to up the contrasts as is.

I'm better at posting links that show what I mean rather than explaining myself, so here
It kind of goes with what Demo is saying, but with pictures and more detail :P

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-07 20:39:40 Reply

At 7/7/12 01:25 PM, DemocracyFTW wrote: You really need to up the contrasts as is. The darker spots should practically be black and the lightest spots should be almost white. That should give it more depth and a better feel for it. When working in black and white you have to contrast the hell out of the colors. In several areas the photograph is white and on your page it is a light gray at best. Keep up the practice though, this is how you learn and improve!
At 7/7/12 01:36 PM, Kashi wrote: I'm better at posting links that show what I mean rather than explaining myself, so here
It kind of goes with what Demo is saying, but with pictures and more detail :P

Thanks for the links and for the feedback, it is truly appreciated. Here's another study, same value study, different subject, hopefully some improvement. I am fucking awful when it comes to contrast, I always seem to be afraid of adding more contrast in my images. Reference image from this awesome website (imageafter.com)

It's still not done but it's all I'm doing for tonight, I'll go back to it tomorrow and finish it up.

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-09 13:00:59 Reply

Farther a long with the image. Enjoy and as always, looking forward to what you may have to say:)

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-12 15:02:56 Reply

Took way longer than I expected but whatever, there's a lot that could be fixed but I'm done with this study, I'm moving onto the next thing. I learned a lot of things about value, plus I feel I learned how to properly do contrast or at least do it better than how I used to do it.

Also, a gif.
http://picasion.com/pic55/452b2ed3258c16fbb571862d10a84661.g if

Ramatsu
Ramatsu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-12 15:21:05 Reply

At 7/12/12 03:02 PM, Mabelma wrote: Took way longer than I expected but whatever, there's a lot that could be fixed but I'm done with this study, I'm moving onto the next thing. I learned a lot of things about value, plus I feel I learned how to properly do contrast or at least do it better than how I used to do it.

Also, a gif.
http://picasion.com/pic55/452b2ed3258c16fbb571862d10a84661.g if

These studies are pretty awesome man, especially this last one. Looks like you put alot of effort into it, if it were me i would have quit along time ago. me and referencing dont quite get along lol! but im looking forward to seeing what you put up next, keep up the good work.

Art is vast as Love is deep, Trying to Explain the two is like trying to discover everything there is about the ocean.
My art thread
My comic thread

BBS Signature
Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-12 15:30:59 Reply

At 7/12/12 03:21 PM, Ramatsu wrote: These studies are pretty awesome man, especially this last one. Looks like you put alot of effort into it, if it were me i would have quit along time ago. me and referencing dont quite get along lol! but im looking forward to seeing what you put up next, keep up the good work.

Thanks Ramatsu, I'm glad you like them mate. They're difficult as fuck but damn, at the end you feel like you learned a lot and to tell you the truth it feels great to do these studies. I might do a couple more of them before doing my next illustration but I assure that on the next illustration you'll see a lot more contras and some good values.

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-17 16:17:02 Reply

Been swamped with freelance work so I haven't gotten much time to do personal work but for the sake of updating, here are some elephant studies off the good ol' sketchbook. Excuse the poor quality, took a photo with the phone instead of scanning.

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-17 17:08:27 Reply

Also here a couple of texture spheres to try an improve my textures, referenced from 3d material spheres (you know those things 3d program use to lay out material onto objects). I am awful at this, I need to practice a lot more of this.

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-18 20:36:50 Reply

Sometimes I get payed to draw things for people, and these people don't like it I have to redo the whole thing and I'm left with a pretty cool character for my portfolio. Anyway this is one of those cases. A surfing iguana dude. The shadow is there just to give him some ground as it was supposed to be used as website mascot.

Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-18 21:33:28 Reply

At 7/18/12 08:36 PM, Mabelma wrote: Sometimes I get payed to draw things for people, and these people don't like it I have to redo the whole thing and I'm left with a pretty cool character for my portfolio

Lame, since I like it a lot :D

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-07-19 18:34:23 Reply

Woohu!! Glad you like it Kashi :D I went back and fixed a couple of things since it's going to be mine, I decided to fix some of the shading, and a couple of things that were off. Also added a "backgound"... I really hate myself for not being able to make good backgrounds, I need to do a lot more studies!

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-08-01 16:48:14 Reply

Working on something new. Generic, awful background but a pretty cool character. Looking forward to whatever you might think. Awesome post referenced from [url="http://damselstock.deviantart.com/art/Native-American-
Indian-51-298123216?q=boost%3Apopular%20in%3Aresources%2Fsto ckart%20tribe&qo=0"]here[/url]

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-08-01 16:50:33 Reply

Not sure why it came out that way. Here's the actual image.

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-08-01 17:45:55 Reply

At 8/1/12 04:50 PM, Mabelma wrote: Not sure why it came out that way. Here's the actual image.

looking good, his left leg might be just a bit short, or you need to make it more clear that it's facing towards us...

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-08-01 18:31:19 Reply

At 8/1/12 05:45 PM, J-qb wrote:
At 8/1/12 04:50 PM, Mabelma wrote: Not sure why it came out that way. Here's the actual image.
looking good, his left leg might be just a bit short, or you need to make it more clear that it's facing towards us...

Just noticed that, thanks man, I'll fix that right away. Also, fixed a couple of other things and started inking. Enjoy and as always looking forward to your thoughts :)

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-08-01 20:54:04 Reply

Done for today. Tomorrow start's the difficult part, coloring and background.

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-08-02 12:11:53 Reply

Really minor edit but it makes him look more grounded, thought I should post it. Comments greatly appreciated, I should start inking the rest of it and begin coloring soon.

Ramatsu
Ramatsu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-08-02 12:49:40 Reply

At 8/2/12 12:11 PM, Mabelma wrote: Really minor edit but it makes him look more grounded, thought I should post it. Comments greatly appreciated, I should start inking the rest of it and begin coloring soon.

im liking how its coming along, pretty neat character here man. i really liked the negative sketch in the beginning of this piece, can't wait to see it done.

Art is vast as Love is deep, Trying to Explain the two is like trying to discover everything there is about the ocean.
My art thread
My comic thread

BBS Signature
Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-08-02 13:50:36 Reply

At 8/2/12 12:49 PM, Ramatsu wrote: im liking how its coming along, pretty neat character here man. i really liked the negative sketch in the beginning of this piece, can't wait to see it done.

I'm really glad you're liking it :)

Fully inked and with a background, now onto the actual character.

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-08-02 15:09:24 Reply

Flats are in. Hopefully the shading will tie it all together.

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-08-02 19:19:21 Reply

All done. Looking forward to what you might have to say :)

razem
razem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-08-02 19:53:58 Reply

You're art actually looks really nice.

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2012-08-03 10:16:28 Reply

At 8/2/12 07:53 PM, razem wrote: You're art actually looks really nice.

Thank you :)