00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ScarletSentinel just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips

2,637,165 Views | 29,795 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2011-06-08 12:14:45

At 6/8/11 12:07 PM, queenofbabes wrote:
At 6/8/11 10:58 AM, Hacsev wrote:
At 6/8/11 08:28 AM, ugolegend94 wrote: new game!
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/57 1844
To get the medal kill 20 spikes in one game, do we have to kill the red or blue spikes? Or both?
You'll get spikes of other colours later on, I suppose they all have to count.

Thank you, queenofbabes!

Also, medals now show up:

$$$ | Strawberry Dodge | Abusive Reviews! | Sig by TheDingo

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2011-06-08 13:29:12

I got a question about the game EPOS that I could use some help on. Now, there's one secret medal dealing with magic spells. Do you have to have every character get the requirements for that, or just one of 'em? I beat the game (or as best as you can. Unfortunately, in normal mode. Grr!), and it's kind of slog to upgrade your characters, even if you have the one signet thing equipped, and I'm just wondering if it's worth it?

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2011-06-08 15:21:24

At 6/8/11 01:29 PM, SFS1313 wrote: Do you have to have every character get the requirements for that, or just one of 'em?

Just do it in one of them.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2011-06-08 16:14:36

Also, medals now show up:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/57 1844

If anybody hasn't got it yet, the hidden button is in the shop on the wooden sign

Do not view my page, you will not be able to handle my avatar.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2011-06-08 18:42:45

I can't believe I spend almost 3 hours trying to get the last character and didn't received the medal. Not even a pop-up!

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2011-06-08 20:53:37

At 6/8/11 03:21 PM, Kauvin wrote:
At 6/8/11 01:29 PM, SFS1313 wrote: Do you have to have every character get the requirements for that, or just one of 'em?
Just do it in one of them.

Much appreciated, Kauvin. I guess I'll play through then.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2011-06-08 21:04:24

Evidently, the "play 3 hours" medal is actually 2 hours. I played this game from scratch immediately after the day's internship hours xD

Any idea if the small little explosive crap in space counts towards the "small enemies" medal? Or do we just not care?

Took forever for me to cap Capt. Falcon's ass >_>

Medal Games in a Nutshell: a general overview of how to earn NG medals!

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2011-06-08 21:45:53

Hey, so here's a general question: starting from scratch on a brand new account, what do you think is the upper limit to how many medal points could be gained in one week? Given seven 16hr days of solid playing, I'll bet 20,000 is possible.

Deploy the... it's a yellow button... it's usually flashing... it makes the engines go... whoosh!

Back my puzzle/adventure story mashup

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2011-06-08 22:11:08

At 6/8/11 09:45 PM, DiMono wrote: Hey, so here's a general question: starting from scratch on a brand new account, what do you think is the upper limit to how many medal points could be gained in one week? Given seven 16hr days of solid playing, I'll bet 20,000 is possible.

Before I start pulling out "easy as hell games to r4pe for medal points" from memory, I ask:

Why do you want to know?

Also, since you didn't frame the question in this context, how many people are we talking about?

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2011-06-08 22:17:13

A little off topic, but ever since I dumped Firefox 4,and went back to 3.6, my web experience is smother, faster and with fewer glitches now. It's like night and day in comparison. I though Firefox 4 would be so much better when I installed it, but it turned out to be pure hell until I went back to a previous version of it. So, just beware of Firefox 4, if you use a slow computer with XP.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2011-06-08 23:32:41

I've noticed that if you sincerely try to get as high as possible for Goin Up, the skull payout is exponential. I got 35xx skulls for reaching 12k ft alone, while 3k ft yielded a small 190 skulls or so.

At 6/8/11 06:42 PM, Hacsev wrote: I can't believe I spend almost 3 hours trying to get the last character and didn't received the medal. Not even a pop-up!

Barring an update from the author fixing any potential glitch, here's what I read:

"Oh no! I didn't get the medal that I think it was! It should be precisely what I think it should have been!"

Having said that... I hope you didn't rage-reset your game or anything =/

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2011-06-09 00:42:51

At 6/8/11 10:11 PM, Fooliolo wrote:
At 6/8/11 09:45 PM, DiMono wrote: Hey, so here's a general question: starting from scratch on a brand new account, what do you think is the upper limit to how many medal points could be gained in one week? Given seven 16hr days of solid playing, I'll bet 20,000 is possible.
Before I start pulling out "easy as hell games to r4pe for medal points" from memory, I ask:

Why do you want to know?

Also, since you didn't frame the question in this context, how many people are we talking about?

One person. I'm curious because a while ago one of my friends on Achievement Hunter made a bet that he could get 10,000 XBL Gamerscore in a week, and succeeded, and I'm curious what people think the upper bound is for NG Medals. I lack a week in which to do this myself, but now that I think about it, I'll bet it would work as a contest; all the participants get anonymous, brand new accounts, and have precisely 7 days in which to get as many medal points as possible, and the winner gets ...something.

Thoughts?

Deploy the... it's a yellow button... it's usually flashing... it makes the engines go... whoosh!

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2011-06-09 01:14:00

At 6/9/11 12:42 AM, DiMono wrote:
At 6/8/11 10:11 PM, Fooliolo wrote: Before I start pulling out "easy as hell games to r4pe for medal points" from memory, I ask:

Why do you want to know?

One person. I'm curious because a while ago one of my friends on Achievement Hunter made a bet that he could get 10,000 XBL Gamerscore in a week, and succeeded, and I'm curious what people think the upper bound is for NG Medals. I lack a week in which to do this myself, but now that I think about it, I'll bet it would work as a contest; all the participants get anonymous, brand new accounts, and have precisely 7 days in which to get as many medal points as possible, and the winner gets ...something.

Thoughts?

If you really wanted to know without sacrificing an arm and a leg -- 16 hours per day for 7 days a week is not healthy -- then you just plug in 112 hours of playing anytime however you like it, and see how far you can get. Plan out which games you're going to play and stuff before-hand.

To fully answer the question with theoretical thinking, I'll find out how many games can dish out at least 180 medal points per hour, and see if the total adds up to 20k points. We'll assuming there's no such thing as burden of knowledge when it comes to puzzles, riddles, and secret medals. Seriously, chances are you'll find what you're looking for on the interwebs anyways. Skill still applies; since I don't know if Nijsse really is god-tier or just a guy with all the time in the world (objectively of course, no offense), I'll just use myself as a reference point.

Goin Up - 825 points per 2.5 hours
Plimpton's Video Falconry - 210 points per 1 hour
Ninja Painter - 430 points per hour
Barca vs Bieber - 780 points per 2 hours
Staff Sumo Smackdown - 390 points per 1.5 hours
Pico's Musical Experience - 500 points per 1 hour
Flying Candy - 475 points per hour
Power Devour! - 210 points per 0.25 hours
Upgrade Complete 2 - 400 points per 1.5 hours
Pyroscape 3 - 180 points per 0.5 hours
Bieber Metamorph - 695 points per 2 hours
Bio Assault - 430 points per 1 hour
TW. The Purple Menace - 455 points per hour
Kaboom BOT - 355 points per 0.5 hours
Snow White. Back to Life - 340 points per hour
Numballs - 490 points per 2 hours

At this rate, it's just over 7k points at a rate of roughly 20 hours (30 if you want to be conservative). This is just picking out a sample of the past 100ish games or so out of almost 500. Since the early games tend to be quite difficult to deal with in terms of efficiency, we'll leave out the first 100 games. This leaves us with almost four times the amount of points available to us if we extrapolate this rough sample. And then there are some games out there that hemorrhage medal points by the second, such as Magic Pink Man 2 and Achievement Complete 2.

I dare say 30k medal points is in the realm of possibility. 40k if you're really ambitious and god-like, and know how to play these games already.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2011-06-09 05:46:12

Wow that's funny, I had this exact same thought a few days ago when I replayed some old games. The number I came up with was around 25k, but I wouldn't play for 16 hours a day, more like 12. With one day of planning in advance I think 30k is possible, but anything more seems very hard. I would love to try this someday, maybe with a ustream video so people can watch it. The problem is, it might take a few months to find the time to do this, and I don't think many people will actually care about it. Sounds like a lot of fun though. :P

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2011-06-09 07:26:22

Trying to mop up some old games:

Is the 25-point secret medal related to flying enemies broken in 'Fucking bugs'?

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2011-06-09 10:13:50

[PLAY "MOON" A SPACE HORROR GAME][FOLLOW ME][MY GAMES][MY ART]

[I'm flying into space...][Sig by triplenoob]

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2011-06-09 10:14:28

At 6/8/11 11:32 PM, Fooliolo wrote: Barring an update from the author fixing any potential glitch, here's what I read:

"Oh no! I didn't get the medal that I think it was! It should be precisely what I think it should have been!"

Having said that... I hope you didn't rage-reset your game or anything =/

So then getting the 20,000 skull character isn't the secret medal then?

And another question... to get the kill all/small/big enemies medals, do you have to do that in one game? Or is it just kill all of them during the duration of your playing?

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2011-06-09 10:25:24

At 6/9/11 10:14 AM, SFS1313 wrote: So then getting the 20,000 skull character isn't the secret medal then?

I second this.

And another question... to get the kill all/small/big enemies medals, do you have to do that in one game? Or is it just kill all of them during the duration of your playing?

It is during the duration of playing. That is the way I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2011-06-09 10:39:56

Apropos of nothing, in Insanity Box your combo carries over to random mode if you quit story mode via the pause screen. What that means is that you can play all the levels up to but just shy of the inverted Mario level, quit, start random mode, and then you only need to avoid the Mario level for about 23 levels rather than for 50. Since the Mario level is the only one that consistently offers up any sort of problem, this should be a huge benefit.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2011-06-09 10:43:34

At 6/9/11 07:26 AM, queenofbabes wrote: Is the 25-point secret medal related to flying enemies broken in 'Fucking bugs'?

Yes.

At 6/9/11 10:14 AM, SFS1313 wrote: So then getting the 20,000 skull character isn't the secret medal then?

Well, it might help to actually choose that character and play the game. =)

At 6/9/11 10:13 AM, ugolegend94 wrote: this movie has the medals that give points, but are not visible
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/57 1915

Weird, the medals link to a deleted movie. You have to click the author and find the movie on his page, so you find this movie that actually gives you medals:

@ DiMono: If you really suck at games, you can also play the first few levels in story mode, quit, and play those few levels again until you have a 50 combo. :P

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2011-06-09 11:37:54

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2011-06-09 11:44:24

At 6/9/11 10:43 AM, Nijsse wrote:
Well, it might help to actually choose that character and play the game. =)

This is what I did. The problem is I have the medal in-game, but it didn't register in my profile.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2011-06-09 11:46:55

At 6/9/11 11:37 AM, EdyKel wrote: Game has medals now. Yay.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/57 1496

cheers, I like this game!

At 6/9/11 10:43 AM, Nijsse wrote: If you really suck at games, you can also play the first few levels in story mode, quit, and play those few levels again until you have a 50 combo. :P

I did not know the existence of this trick, thanks for having revealed, in fact now I got the medal :P

[PLAY "MOON" A SPACE HORROR GAME][FOLLOW ME][MY GAMES][MY ART]

[I'm flying into space...][Sig by triplenoob]

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2011-06-09 12:15:45

At 6/9/11 07:26 AM, queenofbabes wrote: Is the 25-point secret medal related to flying enemies broken in 'Fucking bugs'?

I confirm this to be broken as well.

At 6/9/11 11:44 AM, Hacsev wrote: This is what I did. The problem is I have the medal in-game, but it didn't register in my profile.

All in-game achievements have their own popup. I don't believe the game uses NG's popups. I thought you failed to get any popup whatsoever.

Oh, and this guy's special power is 1-hit killing large enemies by jumping on them in their "weak spot".

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2011-06-09 14:47:59

Thanks for the confirmation on the broken medal, I was pretty sure I met the requirements.

Hacsev: I had a connection problem at about the same time yesterday, so maybe that's the issue. Which is why all medals should be resendable.

See my news post with medal hunting links and tools. I made a program NGMedals that finds your statistics and unearned medals.

There is also a browser script.

Maintainer of the Top Medal Point Users List and API Mod - feel free to PM with any issues.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2011-06-09 17:10:41

At 6/9/11 12:15 PM, Fooliolo wrote: Oh, and this guy's special power is 1-hit killing large enemies by jumping on them in their "weak spot".

Wouldn't it be easier to hit the groin from below?

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2011-06-09 17:49:08

Can somebody please PM how to unlock secret medal.
I have bought all the upgrades, but have not received it. :(

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2011-06-09 18:35:31

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2011-06-09 19:09:33

At 6/9/11 05:49 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/57 1844
Can somebody please PM how to unlock secret medal.
I have bought all the upgrades, but have not received it. :(

Done.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2011-06-09 19:10:28

At 6/9/11 06:35 PM, Hacsev wrote: 0 point medals:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/57 1980

Not a bad game. Can only play about 10-15 levels at a time though, pressing up many times hurts the wrist haha.

Do not view my page, you will not be able to handle my avatar.