00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Theantiflag102 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips

2,647,461 Views | 29,796 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-09-10 11:12:49

At 9/10/09 07:27 AM, HeavyTank wrote: But..what's the point of giving the golden sword AFTER you got all the other medals?
Anyway Chris, your guide is good, going to try to get some medals now.

I agree with that, but i think BoM figured it would make the under 200second achievement too easy at that point. Dunno.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-09-10 11:16:12

Maybe they can make it that when you beat the game you get a new weapon or character or something

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-09-10 11:26:10

At 9/10/09 11:16 AM, Angrylord wrote: Maybe they can make it that when you beat the game you get a new weapon or character or something

*facepalm* You haven't been paying attention to anything haven't you?

PSN username - UnreaK745 / PM me for similar sig.

Visit my page, cocksuckah.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-09-10 11:27:14

At 9/10/09 11:26 AM, UnreaK745 wrote:
At 9/10/09 11:16 AM, Angrylord wrote: Maybe they can make it that when you beat the game you get a new weapon or character or something
*facepalm* You haven't been paying attention to anything haven't you?

I think he meant after beating the game, and not after getting all medals.

I don't see the point though...

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-09-10 12:52:09

At 9/10/09 11:12 AM, Luis wrote:
At 9/10/09 07:27 AM, HeavyTank wrote: But..what's the point of giving the golden sword AFTER you got all the other medals?
Anyway Chris, your guide is good, going to try to get some medals now.
I agree with that, but i think BoM figured it would make the under 200second achievement too easy at that point. Dunno.

What? No, certainly nothing like that. I haven't been posting times approaching 2 minutes for beating the game with the gold sword at all, never ever.

Deploy the... it's a yellow button... it's usually flashing... it makes the engines go... whoosh!

Back my puzzle/adventure story mashup

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-09-10 13:09:01

At 9/10/09 10:03 AM, LegolaSS wrote: But..what's the point of giving the golden sword AFTER you got all the other medals?

It's to you give more effort to obtain and consequently give more value to your new golden penis...

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-09-10 16:26:58

Yeah, the golden sword is just a little extra thing for people to brag about, kind of a bonus for doing everything in the game. I didn't want to make the 200 second thing a joke to get, so you get it after getting everything else :)

BTW, after many more complaints, I put up a version with lives and checkpoints. It sort of pains me to do so, but as a game dev sometimes you have to remember that not everyone has played your game for weeks and weeks and is super expert at it and admit that sometimes the experience of getting through it all is a lot more fun than "a serious challenge."

So now you all get to update your video walkthroughs and also your written ones to reflect the changes...

ie: You only get the alternate bad medals when you die on your last life.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-09-10 17:28:54

At 9/10/09 04:26 PM, BoMToons wrote: BTW, after many more complaints, I put up a version with lives and checkpoints. It sort of pains me to do so, but as a game dev sometimes you have to remember that not everyone has played your game for weeks and weeks and is super expert at it and admit that sometimes the experience of getting through it all is a lot more fun than "a serious challenge."

Wow, thanks. Although from what I read in this thread, most people don't really need it o.o

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-09-10 21:50:14

At 9/10/09 04:26 PM, BoMToons wrote:
BTW, after many more complaints, I put up a version with lives and checkpoints.

Not to brag, but i'm pretty sure i was the first to have all the medals for this game and it didn't take days of practice. Lots of people got these medals and it wasn't that hard to the point where you needed to make it easier for people.

If they gave lives OR checkpoints (note: one of the two is acceptable) for lastman, I would understand. But this kind of diminishes the quality of the game :(

Do not view my page, you will not be able to handle my avatar.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-09-10 22:07:57

At 9/10/09 09:50 PM, waynerz99 wrote:
At 9/10/09 04:26 PM, BoMToons wrote:
BTW, after many more complaints, I put up a version with lives and checkpoints.
Not to brag, but i'm pretty sure i was the first to have all the medals for this game and it didn't take days of practice. Lots of people got these medals and it wasn't that hard to the point where you needed to make it easier for people.

If they gave lives OR checkpoints (note: one of the two is acceptable) for lastman, I would understand. But this kind of diminishes the quality of the game :(

I agree. I got all of the medals for this game very quickly, all things considered, and after figuring out the jumping snag it really wasn't that hard a game. It feels like you're catering to the lowest common denominator here, in a case where you really don't need to. Not everyone will be able to finish every game, and there's nothing wrong with that. In the case of this game, the game isn't hard, they're just not good at it.

Deploy the... it's a yellow button... it's usually flashing... it makes the engines go... whoosh!

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-09-10 22:20:13

At 9/10/09 04:26 PM, BoMToons wrote: So now you all get to update your video walkthroughs and also your written ones to reflect the changes...

ie: You only get the alternate bad medals when you die on your last life.

Done and done. So does the inclusion of lives and checkpoints mean you get to add another medal for finishing the game without dying? Because you can still get under 200 seconds with the wooden sword even if you die while making a break for it. Maybe another 100pt medal for those of us who actually have some skill at the game?

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-09-10 23:18:31

At 9/10/09 04:26 PM, BoMToons wrote: BTW, after many more complaints, I put up a version with lives and checkpoints.

That's good and all but did you add a quality setting feature to that update too.

JUNE 28, 2009. RIP BILLY MAYS. THE LEGEND, THE GOD, THE BILLY MAYS.

Current Medal Score 49220. Ranked:90th +12

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-09-11 04:15:13

Yo, I'm just gonne tell everyone to back off. We all love matt-likes-swords for creating games with medals that are somewhat challenging.. until the walkthroughs come out. Don't hate on BomToons for helping the lesser folk out. Ya, I got all the medals after the update, although I still got every medal on my first life so it didn't really matter that much to me.. but the point is that you like how matt-likes-swords makes medals possible for everyone without wasting hours upon days upon weeks to obtain his medals.. so why hate on Bom for making it possible for everyone to achieve the medals a little more simpler? After all this isn't really a race. Ya, there's rankings and whatnots for top medal getters. I'm number 11 right now on NGLogs if I updated my shit, but I don't right now cause that's not the point.. The top medal getters and top gamers have already been distinguished with the medal feature. Everyone who gets medals right now already knows their respective place in the world of flash gaming, so what's the problem if someone decides to make a game a tad bit easier for the lesser gamers to have fun with.

I mean.. shit.. even us top medal getters have been complaining about the annoying medals in games recently: knightfall's under 500 moves medal and all in one sitting and all that noise.. I mean the game makes you beat it all the way through at a minimum of 3 or 4 times to get all medals.. and that's only if you do it properly the first time each of those 4 attempts. A lot of people complained about Lastman and When Pigs Fly for their inevitably annoying restarts when you were THIS close to achieving the toughest medals..

I've seen way too many of the top 20 medal getters complain about recent games being too hard to achieve the 100 pointer of 'impossible' medal to hear the top gamers now complain about someone being nice and respectful of ALL medal gamers to not stand up for him. It's hypocritical and ignorant for you to all start complaining about it. What's the point of medals other than to have fun getting them? They literally mean nothing in the end game anyways so why bother being a prick about them? The point of medals was to have fun achieving them. Adding just that little bit extra fun or little bit extra of a reason to replay a game you loved.. not to PRETEND that you're better than anyone else by having more medals. Look at Wylo for example! He's at the head of the game above EVERYONE and I've never heard him complain about a medal being too hard or too easy. He's just having fun with what he's doing and likes that everyone else who's getting these medals is having fun doing it too.

So fuck all you haters. I respect BomToons for giving the little guys a chance on this. And i'm ranked 11th out of over a million users on NG for this shit so if you wanna talk shit back go ahead but you got nothing to say to me. Medals are for fun. If you're doing it for troll points or whatever the fuck you wanna call it then you're just stupid and ignorant because these points mean nothing in the end. All I can say is I look back at these points and remember the good times I had achieving them.

SO stop being little cunts about it and respect BomToons' decision. If he had made the changes before you got the medals you would've been greatful, but since it was after you all bitch because it's easier for everyone else.. how pathetic. That's all I gotta say. I lost a lot of respect for some of you guys from your posts about BomToons' action and I gotta tell you, it's mad depressing knowing that some of you are that selfish that you're willing to complain and bitch about something that means nothing.

Live life. Have fun. Do what you do. That's all we have in the end isn't it?

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-09-11 05:14:17

At 9/11/09 04:15 AM, Caraboo wrote: Mega rant...

i have to agree with caraboo... so what if the medals are made easyer... alot of people just want a few medals for their user page to show that they managed to do something or just like the pictures... *i like the battle cat pictures from EFB :3* i dont know what rank i am anymore... and i dont really care at this moment in time... i play games beacuse i want something to do... or want to enjoy a bit of my spare time bashing the hell out of luis... or flying a pig around a maze... or defusing bombs with a superhero girl... the only game i have issues with is OCD+ but thats about it... if you dont like the game... dont play it... if they make the game easyer beacuse of it was to hard... but you completed it before it was nuffed... so what... a game is a game... just beacuse it has medals dosent mean you HAVE to play it for the medals... theres some medal games i havent even bothered playing yet because im still playing another medal game i finished but enjoyed... or just a normal flash game without medals...

at the end of the day.. there will always be whiney people... there will always be flash developers... and there will always be the noobs who cant complete a level of frogger...

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-09-11 05:16:24

At 9/11/09 04:15 AM, Caraboo wrote: Yo, I'm just gonne tell everyone to back off. We all love matt-likes-swords for creating games with medals that are somewhat challenging.. until the walkthroughs come out. Don't hate on BomToons for helping the lesser folk out. Ya, I got all the medals after the update, although I still got every medal on my first life so it didn't really matter that much to me.. but the point is that you like how matt-likes-swords makes medals possible for everyone without wasting hours upon days upon weeks to obtain his medals.. so why hate on Bom for making it possible for everyone to achieve the medals a little more simpler? After all this isn't really a race. Ya, there's rankings and whatnots for top medal getters. I'm number 11 right now on NGLogs if I updated my shit, but I don't right now cause that's not the point.. The top medal getters and top gamers have already been distinguished with the medal feature. Everyone who gets medals right now already knows their respective place in the world of flash gaming, so what's the problem if someone decides to make a game a tad bit easier for the lesser gamers to have fun with.

Yes, sure, l agree, but that game REALLY didn't need any checkpoints....l mean, EBF needed checkpoints, but not such a small game...well, whatever, if so many players had a problem beating it..although l really can't see how...l beat the final boss on my second try, and I am not proud about it...

I mean.. shit.. even us top medal getters have been complaining about the annoying medals in games recently: knightfall's under 500 moves medal and all in one sitting and all that noise.. I mean the game makes you beat it all the way through at a minimum of 3 or 4 times to get all medals.. and that's only if you do it properly the first time each of those 4 attempts. A lot of people complained about Lastman and When Pigs Fly for their inevitably annoying restarts when you were THIS close to achieving the toughest medals..

Yeah..maybe these games should get checkpoints :(

I've seen way too many of the top 20 medal getters complain about recent games being too hard to achieve the 100 pointer of 'impossible' medal to hear the top gamers now complain about someone being nice and respectful of ALL medal gamers to not stand up for him. It's hypocritical and ignorant for you to all start complaining about it. What's the point of medals other than to have fun getting them? They literally mean nothing in the end game anyways so why bother being a prick about them? The point of medals was to have fun achieving them. Adding just that little bit extra fun or little bit extra of a reason to replay a game you loved.. not to PRETEND that you're better than anyone else by having more medals. Look at Wylo for example! He's at the head of the game above EVERYONE and I've never heard him complain about a medal being too hard or too easy. He's just having fun with what he's doing and likes that everyone else who's getting these medals is having fun doing it too.

Indeed, Wylo for some reason doesn't complain even when he could....meh, maybe he's just the passive type..and a good gamer of course :P
An easy game from time to time is very welcome..

So fuck all you haters. I respect BomToons for giving the little guys a chance on this. And i'm ranked 11th out of over a million users on NG for this shit so if you wanna talk shit back go ahead but you got nothing to say to me. Medals are for fun. If you're doing it for troll points or whatever the fuck you wanna call it then you're just stupid and ignorant because these points mean nothing in the end. All I can say is I look back at these points and remember the good times I had achieving them.

But....who hates BomToons?I mean, maybe someone may disagree, but isn't hating a bit too much?Like when The Pink Knight got easier...everyone was like "HEY I GOT TEH MEDUHLS BEFOAR TEH FAG VERSION CAME OUT" (taken from a real review).

Live life. Have fun. Do what you do. That's all we have in the end isn't it?

Yes, but damn, you posted such a long thing about something that "means nothing in the end"...isn't this kinda ironic?

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-09-11 11:08:48

Thanks for the defense.

I know I can't please everyone, but I had to look at the sheer number of people demanding checkpoints and extra lives compared with the number who said "OMG, thanks for the challenge! I love it!" and make a decision.

One of the big factors was reviews from people whose gaming sense I respect, like Mindchamber, who said it was a bit on the hard side.

The unfortunate fact is that people don't want to have to restart a flash game and play through it a 2nd time, they want to be lead by the hand through varying levels of difficulty and beat it on their 1st try. Aiming the game in that direction is actually better for everyone, it gets the game more exposure, better overall reception, the ad makes more money, the developers can afford to make more games, Power of 3 gets more exposure, Child's Play Charity makes more money, etc. etc.

So, yeah, it's not just "caving in to whiners" it's about what's best all around.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-09-11 11:13:09

At 9/11/09 05:16 AM, HeavyTank wrote:
Yeah..maybe these games should get checkpoints :(

Nitpick: Don't you have the ability to play with infinite lives always continuing on the current screen in When Pigs Fly? And the medals are based on time or not dying. I fail to see the benefit of checkpoints in that game.

Anyway, I'm still wondering if there's going to be an added medal for finishing the game without dying. After a good night's sleep (6 hours of sleep in 3 days makes Chris something something) I don't have any problem with lives or checkpoints, but I do think it would be nice to have a new medal for not needing to take advantage of them.

Also, check out my level 10-ness. Trivial milestones FTW!

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-09-11 11:16:18

At 9/11/09 05:16 AM, HeavyTank wrote: Indeed, Wylo for some reason doesn't complain even when he could....meh, maybe he's just the passive type..and a good gamer of course :P

I've learned that when it comes to these games there are the hard ones and then there are the easy ones and the points given only differ in difficulty within the game. There always have to be easy ones so that the masses are not let down. Its all marketing. Especially if its 'The Game of the Moment' its gonna be easier to get medals, just to get more people playing it. The non-Game of the Moment ones are the harder ones.

I only complain when medals are broken or games such as Knightfall which require several playhroughs with hardly any new variety in them. Actually for EBF2 I would have preferred what they did with Dadgame in that if you beat Hard, you would get both Normal and Hard medals. But that's minor stuff.

Games are what they are. I've played enough games in my life to know that once a game is released fixes are far and few between for even highly marketed published games.

Btw, I suppose I am passive.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-09-11 11:31:21

Completed Tower of Destiny on Hard, got medal in game but not on the site. Atleast I stil have Mecha-Death unlocked...

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-09-11 12:26:47

At 9/11/09 11:31 AM, Powdinet wrote: Completed Tower of Destiny on Hard, got medal in game but not on the site. Atleast I stil have Mecha-Death unlocked...

Tower of Destiny?It's that game that was supposed to have medals some months ago but then it never had them?
No, wait, that was Tower of Greed...

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-09-11 12:28:18

At 9/11/09 12:26 PM, HeavyTank wrote:
At 9/11/09 11:31 AM, Powdinet wrote: Completed Tower of Destiny on Hard, got medal in game but not on the site. Atleast I stil have Mecha-Death unlocked...
Tower of Destiny?It's that game that was supposed to have medals some months ago but then it never had them?
No, wait, that was Tower of Greed...

I meant Tower of Destiny in Dadgame. I'm not completely sure that is the name of the challenge though...

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-09-11 12:55:03

At 9/11/09 12:28 PM, Powdinet wrote:
I meant Tower of Destiny in Dadgame. I'm not completely sure that is the name of the challenge though...

It's the name of the challenge in which you attain the medal. The medal is called something else.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-09-11 13:56:29

I just got "You Must Be Cheating" 3 times in a row today and it hasn't shown on my profile, nor the game's medal section on its page.

Anyone else having problems with that>

Dexter Season 5: "Psychopaths in love. It's like Zodiac and Juliet."

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-09-11 14:03:21

At 9/11/09 01:56 PM, KrevZabijak wrote: I just got "You Must Be Cheating" 3 times in a row today and it hasn't shown on my profile, nor the game's medal section on its page.

Nope, thankfully both times l got it it worked juuuust fine...well, if you got it 3 times you can get it a fourth time right?Still, it sucks not to get that medal...

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-09-11 15:32:23

I'm not a huge complainer either except for my Knightfall 2 sessions...

Glamorous.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-09-11 15:47:55

At 9/11/09 01:56 PM, KrevZabijak wrote: I just got "You Must Be Cheating" 3 times in a row today and it hasn't shown on my profile, nor the game's medal section on its page.

Refresh and pop-up is my only thought. If the window for it has been opened for after so long (we really should get an exact time on this..) the ngads connection ends or whatever and then your flash game is no longer able to connect to the NG server or something like that. Someone else say what I just said but properly please? Haha

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-09-11 16:43:39

At 9/11/09 03:47 PM, Caraboo wrote: Refresh and pop-up is my only thought. If the window for it has been opened for after so long (we really should get an exact time on this..) the ngads connection ends or whatever and then your flash game is no longer able to connect to the NG server or something like that. Someone else say what I just said but properly please? Haha

Basically think of it as a security timeout feature. Once you open the Flash pop-up page, it generates a unique key on the NGads server that allows the Flash to be played. After a certain amount of time, the key expires. If you refresh the page before the key expires, the key will be refreshed as well.

I believe its to avoid direct linking from blogs or the such, thus avoiding the main part of the site and losing ad revenue.

I haven't tested this, but if someone could it would be good. This is basically to see if there is a way to keep your game open for lengthy periods of time without having to refresh the page, thus allowing you to play in one real session.
1. Open a medal game, pop-up
2. After a couple hours, copy the URL of the pop-up into a new tab and load.
3. Repeat Step 2 a couple times.
4. In your first pop-up play to achieve a medal and see if it register.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-09-11 16:47:59

At 9/11/09 04:43 PM, Wylo wrote:
Basically think of it as a security timeout feature. Once you open the Flash pop-up page, it generates a unique key on the NGads server that allows the Flash to be played. After a certain amount of time, the key expires. If you refresh the page before the key expires, the key will be refreshed as well.

I believe its to avoid direct linking from blogs or the such, thus avoiding the main part of the site and losing ad revenue.

I haven't tested this, but if someone could it would be good. This is basically to see if there is a way to keep your game open for lengthy periods of time without having to refresh the page, thus allowing you to play in one real session.
1. Open a medal game, pop-up
2. After a couple hours, copy the URL of the pop-up into a new tab and load.
3. Repeat Step 2 a couple times.
4. In your first pop-up play to achieve a medal and see if it register.

Thanks. Haha I might try then if I ever get around to going after the other Knightfall 2 medals. I'll let you know how it goes. It's an interesting theory and it seems like it should work but I guess we'll just have to find out.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-09-11 17:10:02

Caraboo how did you manage to get 100% without beating Boss Battles on HARD and Tower of Destiny on HARD?

Glamorous.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-09-11 17:10:11

This game will also get medals :D

Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips