00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

gabmaster5 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Mac9 - March [discussion]

10,902 Views | 158 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Mac9 - March [discussion] 2009-03-06 07:14:25

This is the discussion thread for the Monthly Audio Contest 2009 - March KID SONG theme.
All discussion, questions etc. concerning the contest goes in this thread.

Please submit your contest entries THE MAIN CONTEST THREAD

With that, all of us in the MAC-crew would like to wish you all good luck and lots of #10 to each and everyone!!!
^_______________^

Wakka wakka

Response to Mac9 - March [discussion] 2009-03-06 07:40:03

I think we need to see this image in this thread too, just to set the right mood to the contest:

Mac9 - March [discussion]

Wakka wakka

Response to Mac9 - March [discussion] 2009-03-06 08:02:53

I'll do a bit of judgeing if i have some time. Kid songs aren't my foreground ;)

Response to Mac9 - March [discussion] 2009-03-06 09:13:44

uhhhh... I thought there was some general agreement going around that we wanted a darker comp theme; that some of us were getting really tired of these types of comps. My disapproval has nothing to do with the fact that I was expecting a pico day comp... but what the fuck is up with this infantile shit?

I quit.

quarl BandCamp

Response to Mac9 - March [discussion] 2009-03-06 09:29:17

Okay, so I was like "okay I can possibly manage this" with the december one. With the the Valoltines one, I was like "well this is so out of my element it doesn't even make sense" but I still managed to pull 8th place out of my ass somehow. With this one, I honestly don't think I can compose a song like this, considering that kid songs make me want to rip out my own jugular and rape a kitten just to spite the song.

And no, kid songs in any genre are equally as bad.

most appropriate quote from the simpsons though: "I always wanted to be a kids cartoon illustrator ever since playboy wouldn't publish my cartoons because they were too filthy."

Response to Mac9 - March [discussion] 2009-03-06 09:37:18

At 3/6/09 09:13 AM, Quarl wrote: uhhhh...what the fuck is up with this infantile shit?
I quit.

Well, you know - Tom and April have been busy and all...
April will soon be delivering and depending on the size of that kids' head, Tom may never hit the sides again. He'll probably be a little down about it and we wanted to cheer him up with a few chirpy little kid songs that he can push into the baby's ears.

Depending on the quality of the entries, it could be a reward or a punishment.

Knowing this crowd and the crap that they typically churn out, there will be twenty painfully trite trance covers of "Mary Had A Little Lamb", another fifteen bullshit happy hardcore versions of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" and five crappy MIDI imports of "B-I-N-G-O was his name-o". Because we're that creative !

BBS Signature

Response to Mac9 - March [discussion] 2009-03-06 09:41:41

shit.

deletes trance hardcover of Mary had a twinkling star, and Pico was its name-o

I'll hopefully has time to do what i'm thinking of. It is lulz.

Response to Mac9 - March [discussion] 2009-03-06 09:47:00

At 3/6/09 09:41 AM, MaestroRage wrote: ...Pico was its name-o

Holy shit that's fuxxin brilliant!

BBS Signature

Response to Mac9 - March [discussion] 2009-03-06 09:47:16

At 3/6/09 09:37 AM, LJCoffee wrote:
At 3/6/09 09:13 AM, Quarl wrote:
Knowing this crowd and the crap that they typically churn out, there will be twenty painfully trite trance covers of "Mary Had A Little Lamb", another fifteen bullshit happy hardcore versions of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" and five crappy MIDI imports of "B-I-N-G-O was his name-o". Because we're that creative !

Well, if you guys were expecting crap, why did you make this comp?

Personally, I'm a little aggravated at how many ideas were proposed for this comp, and at how they were completely disregarded for something like this. Tom's a great man, but I don't think there needs to be a comp centered around his wife's pregnancy. I think it would be more appropriate to run this comp after Tom has his kid. That way, if it has any deformities, we can capitalize off of making fun of them.

quarl BandCamp

Response to Mac9 - March [discussion] 2009-03-06 09:50:48

At 3/6/09 09:47 AM, Quarl wrote: Well, if you guys were expecting crap, why did you make this comp?

We thought you would enter... :(

BBS Signature

Response to Mac9 - March [discussion] 2009-03-06 09:52:12

At 3/6/09 09:50 AM, LJCoffee wrote:
At 3/6/09 09:47 AM, Quarl wrote: Well, if you guys were expecting crap, why did you make this comp?
We thought you would enter... :(

Well, as pico once stated, you guys music really love shit.

quarl BandCamp

Response to Mac9 - March [discussion] 2009-03-06 09:53:12

At 3/6/09 09:52 AM, Quarl wrote:
Well, as pico once stated, you guys music really love shit.

Holy crap, how did I manage to misspell must...

quarl BandCamp

Response to Mac9 - March [discussion] 2009-03-06 09:59:38

Ok, I guess since it's meant for kids the word "sucks" isn't allowed. Which kinda sucks, because technically "sucks" can refer to sucks on a lollipop or something. The idea that "suck" always means "suck on a man's penis" is a logical fallacy. I brought it up because the song I'm working on may have the word "sucks" in it, so my question is would that be allowed?

Newest song: Dinosaur Alien

Reviews/comments appreciated!

BBS Signature

Response to Mac9 - March [discussion] 2009-03-06 10:08:21

At 3/6/09 09:59 AM, Anth0n wrote: would that be allowed?

I think that songs for children, especially those with lyrics, present the perfect opportunity to practice the art of the double entendre. How funny would it be to write a catchy little tune that children can sing in the streets with lyrics that border on deviant and filthy... but in an innocent enough way that there's some plausible deniability.

BBS Signature

Response to Mac9 - March [discussion] 2009-03-06 10:32:22

At 3/6/09 09:47 AM, Quarl wrote: Tom's a great man, but I don't think there needs to be a comp centered around his wife's pregnancy.

it's not, the fact they're expecting was just a great oppurtunity to suggest a theme like this and get away with it. If you don't like it, that's too bad... I'm sure there will be a generic germanstyled techno-contest with lots of lameness and no personality to it in the future.

At 3/6/09 09:59 AM, Anth0n wrote: Ok, I guess since it's meant for kids the word "sucks" isn't allowed.

i suggest you read through the rules ;)

Wakka wakka

Response to Mac9 - March [discussion] 2009-03-06 10:36:12

At 3/6/09 10:32 AM, Rucklo wrote:
At 3/6/09 09:59 AM, Anth0n wrote: Ok, I guess since it's meant for kids the word "sucks" isn't allowed.
i suggest you read through the rules ;)

and in real words i mean:

"you can make kids-songs with adullt lyrics and submit to this contest if you wish".

Wakka wakka

Response to Mac9 - March [discussion] 2009-03-06 10:46:11

I reckon this is a cool idea for a competition. The reason I like some of these MAC topics is that it gives you the opportunity to try and make something that you wouldnt normally (and in the case of a kids song...ever) consider. Now I get to listen to loads of other kiddies songs and decide what makes them good!

Now where is my Joe Scruggs tape from when I was 4...

Hi there my name is not Bill.

BBS Signature

Response to Mac9 - March [discussion] 2009-03-06 10:57:29

At 3/6/09 10:32 AM, Rucklo wrote:
At 3/6/09 09:47 AM, Quarl wrote: Tom's a great man, but I don't think there needs to be a comp centered around his wife's pregnancy.
it's not, the fact they're expecting was just a great oppurtunity to suggest a theme like this and get away with it. If you don't like it, that's too bad... I'm sure there will be a generic germanstyled techno-contest with lots of lameness and no personality to it in the future.

Well I'm pretty sure there won't be considering the impact the mods have over the themes as compared to the users. You guys basically just created another comp for soro to win. You should have taken that into consideration before posting this comp. If one artist can win multiple times in a row, perhaps it's time to shift things up a bit. It's been a long time since there's been a dark comp theme. It's been generally the same vibe over and over again.

Now, I'm not insulted at the theme of the comp. Sooner or later, this comp would have been fine. But given the context of previous macs, I'd like to say that the recipe is getting very stale.

quarl BandCamp

Response to Mac9 - March [discussion] 2009-03-06 11:04:52

At 3/6/09 10:57 AM, Quarl wrote: Well I'm pretty sure there won't be considering the impact the mods have over the themes as compared to the users. You guys basically just created another comp for soro to win. You should have taken that into consideration before posting this comp. If one artist can win multiple times in a row, perhaps it's time to shift things up a bit. It's been a long time since there's been a dark comp theme. It's been generally the same vibe over and over again.

Now, I'm not insulted at the theme of the comp. Sooner or later, this comp would have been fine. But given the context of previous macs, I'd like to say that the recipe is getting very stale.

well, pico-day is coming up, and i suspect alot of users will be making pico-day submissions that needs softer music, considering the fulps are expecting - i mean, just look at the tankaward teaser...

another generic fastpaced dnb-contest for pico-day would make me hide under a stone at least...

sorry this theme isn't to your likings. but like i said, im sure there will be a future generic unts-unts themed dark contest sometime in the future.

i definitley dont think there's just one who can win this contest, rather the other way around - if you just come up with some catchy lyrics, and a some simple guitarchords, you may very well have a big chanse winning this. i assume you've read through all of the rules for this contest, right?

Wakka wakka

Response to Mac9 - March [discussion] 2009-03-06 11:04:59

Sorry, just went back and did my homework. Soro didn't win claiming new grounds.

Though if he had entered... I'm sure he would have :p

quarl BandCamp

Response to Mac9 - March [discussion] 2009-03-06 11:09:15

At 3/6/09 10:46 AM, curriemaster wrote: I reckon this is a cool idea for a competition. The reason I like some of these MAC topics is that it gives you the opportunity to try and make something that you wouldnt normally (and in the case of a kids song...ever) consider. Now I get to listen to loads of other kiddies songs and decide what makes them good!

Now where is my Joe Scruggs tape from when I was 4...

i used to work in a kindergarden, and one thing i noticed is that the kids like lyrics about animals, and a little extra if they can just rock out (i.e. bounce around) to it! :)

"voice acting" the lyrics could be an idea to try out. :)

Wakka wakka

Response to Mac9 - March [discussion] 2009-03-06 11:19:23

At 3/6/09 11:04 AM, Rucklo wrote:
another generic fastpaced dnb-contest for pico-day would make me hide under a stone at least...

sorry this theme isn't to your likings. but like i said, im sure there will be a future generic unts-unts themed dark contest sometime in the future.

i definitley dont think there's just one who can win this contest, rather the other way around - if you just come up with some catchy lyrics, and a some simple guitarchords, you may very well have a big chanse winning this. i assume you've read through all of the rules for this contest, right?

Yeah, I did go back and read the rules. I always read the rules before I start bitching. I'm not asking for a generic untz untz andgry style dnb comp. I can easily produce music for this type of comp. I remember sometime last year Dooby made a lullaby comp. I managed to snag 4th. It wasn't dnb, but I was really damn proud of my entry. So yeah, I don't care so much about the theme of this comp. It's the timing of it that's left a sour taste. Fact is, there's been a general theme in themes. You made the statement in the comp thread that you guys wanted more variety in the portal... we'll you certainly aren't doing much to change that.

well, pico-day is coming up, and i suspect alot of users will be making pico-day submissions that needs softer music, considering the fulps are expecting - i mean, just look at the tankaward teaser...

I completely disagree with that statement. While Toms mind is definitely all over his future child, to make a connection to pico day is a slight stretch. If anything, pico came first.

Like I said, there was a general agreement last month that the comps were getting stale...

quarl BandCamp

Response to Mac9 - March [discussion] 2009-03-06 11:24:35

At 3/6/09 11:04 AM, Quarl wrote: Sorry, just went back and did my homework. Soro didn't win claiming new grounds.

What's the fucking deal here? If he wins, it isn't because he pays the judges to pick him, its because he's a fucking musician. Through and through. He's good at what he does. What makes you think he couln't win a darker themed contest as well? I don't understand the logic behind what you are saying.
Maybe I've misunderstood something here...

BBS Signature

Response to Mac9 - March [discussion] 2009-03-06 11:30:19

At 3/6/09 11:24 AM, Bad-Man-Incorporated wrote:
At 3/6/09 11:04 AM, Quarl wrote: Sorry, just went back and did my homework. Soro didn't win claiming new grounds.

What's the fucking deal here? If he wins, it isn't because he pays the judges to pick him, its because he's a fucking musician. Through and through. He's good at what he does. What makes you think he couln't win a darker themed contest as well? I don't understand the logic behind what you are saying.
Maybe I've misunderstood something here...

Yes you have. I love soros work. I was joking about his comp victories. I'm not joking however about the comp themes. I can see how you thought I was flaming soro. Sorry for that.

quarl BandCamp

Response to Mac9 - March [discussion] 2009-03-06 11:35:33

At 3/6/09 11:30 AM, Quarl wrote:

Yes you have. I love soros work. I was joking about his comp victories. I'm not joking however about the comp themes. I can see how you thought I was flaming soro. Sorry for that.

Ok, thanks for explaining. It's hard to read tones over the interwebZ. :D
I do understand the themes trifle. haha. I haven't much cared for the last few, myself, so I hadn't entered or offered to judge.
ALthough, I think I've been waiting for this one for a while. I have 3 kids, so it takes a bit of a break from the seriousness that music can muster.
Anyways, thanks for curing my curiosity. Apologies for my misunderstanding.

BBS Signature

Response to Mac9 - March [discussion] 2009-03-06 11:35:46

At 3/6/09 11:19 AM, Quarl wrote:
You made the statement in the comp thread that you guys wanted more variety in the portal... we'll you certainly aren't doing much to change that.

I have to disagree with you there dude, the portal has VG, dance, techno, DNB tunes coming out the arse but I cant recall hearing a childrens tune. Im sure people can (and hopefully will) do a VG, dance, techno or DnB childrens tune but to do well in the comp it will have to be pretty different from the standard background radiation that is most of the AP tunes.

I personally think there arent nearly enough songs on the AP that use lots of acoustic instruments and something like this gives artists a chance to use those. For murder/death/kill themed MACs you cant really whip out the mandolin...

Hi there my name is not Bill.

BBS Signature

Response to Mac9 - March [discussion] 2009-03-06 11:44:03

At 3/6/09 11:30 AM, Quarl wrote: I'm not joking however about the comp themes.

OK... all cool - I'd hate to see everyone get all bent out of shape over little things.

I'm just throwing this out there,
Quarl, would you like to work with a few others on the next MAC? Help pick a theme, all of that? Maybe we can all agree to focus our extra energy on an upcoming contest rather than quibble over opinions of the current theme.

Could we at least try to work together for something like that and avoid filling up several pages of this topic with the "this, sucks" - "no you suck" back and forth? It's only going to result in generalized hurtitude and pisstivity.

BBS Signature

Response to Mac9 - March [discussion] 2009-03-06 12:04:11

At 3/6/09 11:44 AM, LJCoffee wrote:
At 3/6/09 11:30 AM, Quarl wrote:
I'm just throwing this out there,
Quarl, would you like to work with a few others on the next MAC? Help pick a theme, all of that? Maybe we can all agree to focus our extra energy on an upcoming contest rather than quibble over opinions of the current theme.

Well, I'd personally love to, but it's been done. Themes in comps have been largely discussed over and over again. In fact, we did a poll for a theme a while back. Flight for Freedom came out of it. The original idea was that there was going to be an image to write a song to. We got airplanes, and the comp went really well. What I want to know is why can't every comp work out like that? Why not poll before posting?

Could we at least try to work together for something like that and avoid filling up several pages of this topic with the "this, sucks" - "no you suck" back and forth? It's only going to result in generalized hurtitude and pisstivity.

I agree, though I'm not sure what anyone else might feel inclined to say. In anycase, I'm getting to work on my sub for this comp.

And no rucklo, I will not strum a generic chord progression on a guitar in hopes that I will win money.

quarl BandCamp

Response to Mac9 - March [discussion] 2009-03-06 12:14:46

OK, when I first saw the theme I was like wth? not my style dood xD
It is for a cause that makes sense at least.

All I'm askin is for some sample songs plz? I found it really vague, if you want a baby's lullaby? or a clumsy tune? or w/e.

I'd love to have something to kinda.. work from and have a better idea of what music you folks are wanting.

Response to Mac9 - March [discussion] 2009-03-06 12:29:07

At 3/6/09 12:14 PM, Zero123Music wrote: I'd love to have ... a better idea of what music you folks are wanting.

I don't know about the others, but I want you to exercise individual creative expression within the general guidelines of the theme. I would like to hear your artistic interpretation of whatever it is that you think constitutes an appropriate entry.

BBS Signature