00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted Ministerhomer supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Storybook Project [Collab?]

45,020 Views | 469 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-16 23:52:34

At 12/16/08 11:19 AM, RNNR wrote: I'm also seeing a whole lot of stories, but not a whole lot of actors/actresses/animators/musicians.
So it's kinda imbalanced.

Perhaps you could attract additional folk?

I agree. Storybook writing, on average, takes a lot less time and energy than illustrating for a story. I think a lot of these stories will be left undone.

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-17 00:07:27

Posted a message for you on your page with link etc etc blah blah

Have fun!

My Art Thread

-- IIruhtrA

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-17 00:59:09

At 12/16/08 11:52 PM, Tiredguy wrote:
At 12/16/08 11:19 AM, RNNR wrote: I'm also seeing a whole lot of stories, but not a whole lot of actors/actresses/animators/musicians.
So it's kinda imbalanced.

Perhaps you could attract additional folk?
I agree. Storybook writing, on average, takes a lot less time and energy than illustrating for a story. I think a lot of these stories will be left undone.

well, it all begins with a story. in the industry, the idea comes first and the people writing it find illustrators, composers, etc to fit the correct mood and style. i think these will be finished in phases, the stories are done now, then the artists will pick up, then the audio end. i'm sure people will come along.

or... alot of people have forgotten about the thread and aren't checking in on it anymore >_<

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-17 02:40:25

At 12/17/08 12:59 AM, sucho wrote:
or... alot of people have forgotten about the thread and aren't checking in on it anymore >_<

I hope not. But, it does take some time to illustrate stuff - so, the January deadline might need to be be a bit soft for some people.

Here's an update on GERL, because the first one I posted really didn't do her justice. So anyway, GERL is humanoid, but not human. She was created in a lab from remnants of human DNA at some point in the future where humans have ceased to exist and the planet is under the control of being called F.R.E.E. (Free-Roaming Electronic Essence) that are essentially biological computers. The F.R.E.E. use genetically engineered slave labor to support their society.

G.E.R.L. is actually a biological weapon prototype. Her power? She can control her blood (which has been chemically altered to be a paralyzing bio-toxin) to create projectiles and other weapons.

She and B.E.E. escape from a research facility and decide to take on the F.R.E.E., and it doesn't go so well. And that's basically how I'm envisioning VanillaBear's poem at the moment.

I will post concepts for B.E.E. and the F.R.E.E. when I have time to draw them up, and assuming VanillaBear gives me the go ahead.

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-17 04:23:32

I just realized how small the illustrations are going to be using the current template. I only bring this up because it made me rethink how I was going to approach this a little bit. I suppose it's not really a big deal if you're planning to make your own book in flash - but for people who are going to rely on the template, you may want to keep in mind that art with really small details in it probably isn't going to work.

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-17 04:43:47

What I'm thinking is more along the lines of graphic novel. As much visuals as possible, with as little text. Hence why I've asked several voice actors.

I was thinking more along the lines of the 2D, illustrated cutscenes you see nowadays in games such as Resistance, Max Payne and World in Conflict with simple effects such as panning over and zooming in on the images to convey the story visually.
This creates a rich story and imagery, while still fitting with the storybook theme.

Also, I kinda like the 25th January deadline, it's far away enough to get as much projects finished as possible, though soon enough to keep the pressure a bit on.

- The Run -- Cargo || The Run -- Drop - The Run is an episodic sci-fi story, click the image to go to the Main Page.

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-17 04:56:25

Damn you, lack of editing function!

I also believe a strong collaboration and direct communication really helps the collaborations.
sucho's been in nearly from the start and it really helps discussing character, vehicle and environmental designs when early in the project.
This aids in shaping the product and making it cohesive, plus all parties get instant feedback so work gets done fast, right and it's way more fun and inspiring than simple emails.

I encourage everyone to just get everyone on the project on an IM and just talk.

- The Run -- Cargo || The Run -- Drop - The Run is an episodic sci-fi story, click the image to go to the Main Page.

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-17 15:06:15

At 12/17/08 04:43 AM, RNNR wrote: What I'm thinking is more along the lines of graphic novel. As much visuals as possible, with as little text. Hence why I've asked several voice actors.

I think that's a great idea. If I had any skills in Flash (or if I even had Flash for that matter) I would go for the same thing. But, I pretty much have to rely on ReNaeNae to assemble this, unless VanillaBear has some kick ass flash skills he's not telling me about, or there's some other flash artist that really wants to help out.

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-17 15:55:15

hey if anyone wants to use my stories please let me know and ill help in anyway I can! Also if someone has an idea they want turned into a story PM me and lets see what we can work out!

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-17 15:58:20

At 12/17/08 03:06 PM, johnnycancer wrote: unless VanillaBear has some kick ass flash skills he's not telling me about, or there's some other flash artist that really wants to help out.

Fraid not XD iv never done anything on flash, i just do music and pictures
Would be good if we could find some skilled flashman..

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-17 17:04:03

At 12/17/08 03:58 PM, VannillaBear wrote: Fraid not XD iv never done anything on flash, i just do music and pictures

lol, great. Well I guess it's time to whore ourselves out to the flash artists on the board then...

Once I get some more art done we can post on the flash forum and see if anyone wants to help us out. Since my art doesn't suck, I'm going to assume we have an okay shot at finding someone who's interested.

Also, we need to talk about music and voice talents, but I'll PM you about that.

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-17 17:53:08

So it's kinda imbalanced. Perhaps you could attract additional folk?

Well, Tom linked in two consecutive front page posts... not sure what else we can do :( I'm open to suggestions.

At 12/16/08 12:45 PM, Aeroth wrote: Are you still taking stories, if so, i'm in.
Incase you don't already know, I posted a link on your profile.

YES! we can never have enough!! Thanks :D (I really need to get the lists updated! lol)

At 12/16/08 04:03 PM, RogueSoul wrote: a story

I deleted it... please post it on YOUR user page then post a LINK to it in on my user page. Thanks :D

At 12/16/08 05:08 PM, RNNR wrote: updates

lol! I love your updates! I can't help grinning every time I see 'em! :D

At 12/16/08 06:42 PM, jamesb1995 wrote: oops wrong one, heres the new one lol

much better. refine it... play with some other colors/fonts.

At 12/16/08 09:12 PM, FGIJonC wrote: Actually, I haven't. I truly havent had much time to actually look.

Hopefully someone will come looking for you! ;)

At 12/16/08 10:23 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: sorry about that renaenae, i'll just post up in here until i hear back from fitin

sorry too! thanks for understanding ;)

so here's potentially what the main character of the story will look like. The stories gonna be written in simple childrens book style, and be about the everyday life of a bunny.

lol, doesn't look like your everyday bunny! lol Looking forward to more previews! :D

At 12/16/08 11:52 PM, Tiredguy wrote: I agree. Storybook writing, on average, takes a lot less time and energy than illustrating for a story. I think a lot of these stories will be left undone.

Yeah... and some just aren't written to go with illustrations :(

At 12/17/08 12:07 AM, IIruhtrA wrote: Posted a message for you on your page with link etc etc blah blah. Have fun!

At 12/17/08 12:59 AM, sucho wrote: well, it all begins with a story. in the industry, the idea comes first and the people writing it find illustrators, composers, etc to fit the correct mood and style. i think these will be finished in phases, the stories are done now, then the artists will pick up, then the audio end. i'm sure people will come along.

I have to admit I'm surprised we haven't gotten a ton more stories. I think a lot of the writers have left newgrounds for sites that are more specifically for authors. There really isn't any where for them to showcase their stuff here... other than user pages. It's unfortunate :(

or they're busy with school, holiday movies, or holiday activities. Maybe we'll get a spike in activity in the next few weeks! *fingers crossed*

At 12/17/08 02:40 AM, johnnycancer wrote:
At 12/17/08 12:59 AM, sucho wrote:
I hope not. But, it does take some time to illustrate stuff - so, the January deadline might need to be be a bit soft for some people.

Yeah, that date isn't set in stone. I was even considering having anyone that's done just submit on the first Sunday that rolls around. SOrta spread 'em out through the whole month of Jan. What do you guys think?

Here's an update on GERL

looks (and sounds!) really interesting! Can't wait for to see more! :D

At 12/17/08 04:23 AM, johnnycancer wrote: I just realized how small the illustrations are going to be using the current template.

Yeah, thanks for bring that up... something for people to keep in mind! :D

At 12/17/08 04:43 AM, RNNR wrote: What I'm thinking is more along the lines of graphic novel. As much visuals as possible, with as little text. Hence why I've asked several voice actors.

That sound really great!! I've always wanted to do something like that, so I'll be curious to see how yours all comes together!! :D

Also, I kinda like the 25th January deadline, it's far away enough to get as much projects finished as possible, though soon enough to keep the pressure a bit on.

lol, yeah... pressure can be a good thing, but like I mentioned above, the date isn't set in stone.

At 12/17/08 04:56 AM, RNNR wrote: I also believe a strong collaboration and direct communication really helps the collaborations.
I encourage everyone to just get everyone on the project on an IM and just talk.

Yeah, I completely agree! We should have a giant 'project' convo sometime! lol ...it would be insane! :D

At 12/17/08 03:06 PM, johnnycancer wrote: I pretty much have to rely on ReNaeNae to assemble this, unless VanillaBear has some kick ass flash skills he's not telling me about, or there's some other flash artist that really wants to help out.

There are a few flash helpers (check the list on my user page) ...but I'm here for you! and happy help any way I can! :D

At 12/17/08 03:55 PM, ForNoReason wrote: hey if anyone wants to use my stories please let me know and ill help in anyway I can! Also if someone has an idea they want turned into a story PM me and lets see what we can work out!

Thanks for the stories and the offer!! Hope you get some takers! :D

At 12/17/08 05:04 PM, johnnycancer wrote:
At 12/17/08 03:58 PM, VannillaBear wrote: Fraid not XD iv never done anything on flash, i just do music and pictures
lol, great. Well I guess it's time to whore ourselves out to the flash artists on the board then...
Once I get some more art done we can post on the flash forum and see if anyone wants to help us out. Since my art doesn't suck, I'm going to assume we have an okay shot at finding someone who's interested.

That's a great idea! We should make a thread in the flash forum! I think I'll do that. Thank gawd for johnnycancer!! lol

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-17 21:04:05

About the lack of stories, it might be school related. I'm in the middle of all my semester exams right now, others might be too. Maybe not though, i hear my schools strange and most people take theirs in january.

Ghost/Supernat. Club | Join the Family | The FlashBase.

You always need at least one asshole moderator for your forum. Its not opinion, its fact

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-17 23:05:37

Just posted another story. Hope its goes well. I am really excited about this project and hope it goes as well as I know it can be! Great ideas all around from what I have read/seen so far!

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-17 23:51:15

At 12/17/08 11:05 PM, ForNoReason wrote: Just posted another story. Hope its goes well. I am really excited about this project and hope it goes as well as I know it can be! Great ideas all around from what I have read/seen so far!

Wow! Yours is one of the best I've seen so far in terms of channeling the spirit of ol' Doctor Seuss. If anybody is still searching for a project to attach themselves to, I would definitely recommend ForNoReason's newest poem.

I know this collab is going to do well, because it's showcasing the best part of Newgrounds; because we're not doing this for money or prizes; we're doing it because we all love doing art, and we all love being a part of the Newgrounds community. And it's a really great opportunity to make some friends on here, and work with people that you might never get to know otherwise - which is the part I always love about the art collabs.

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-18 00:29:57

At 12/17/08 11:51 PM, johnnycancer wrote:
At 12/17/08 11:05 PM, ForNoReason wrote: Just posted another story.
Wow! Yours is one of the best I've seen so far in terms of channeling the spirit of ol' Doctor Seuss.

lol! I completely agree! I love it!! We need more stories like that... short, fun, easy to draw to. Too many of the stories in the list aren't exactly ideal for an illustrated book. I think if we had more like ForNoReason's we'd get more takers. Don't get me wrong! I love that people are getting into it and taking it to the next level (or mega-levels, if you're RNNR!!)... but for the average joe artist... we could really use some shorter, quirkier stories! This was meant to be an easy project that anyone and everyone could get involved in! lol :P

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-18 01:23:35

Until somebody makes a better one, I'm going to use this sig and link to the collab thread, and I suggest that everybody else involved do the same so that it gets maximum exposure on Newgrounds (not that I don't still love you and your collab, McJesus)

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-18 01:45:27

I'd love to get in on this as an artist if I'm not too late. I'm not an animator but if any authors are interested in traditional, static illustrations pm me. For an example of my drawing style I have several posts throughout the doodlage thread or for more serious forms of art than doodling check out my portfolio thread.

I will eventually get around to putting something here. for the meantime here is a link to my portfolio

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-18 02:49:28

Here's a character concept for B.E.E. Not sure if I like everything about this, but the basic body shape and the exposed brain will stay for sure in any future revisions.

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-18 15:51:38

- 12-18-2008: sucho: MAH TABLETS HERE, RNNR: YES!, sucho: W00T, RNNR: do your happy dance!, sucho: i did, with the box on my head.

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-18 18:10:54

renae Im an artist, so hook me up G.

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-18 20:42:36

I haven't been trying to find people to do the art work or the voices for my stories, but someone did come to me asking to do the voices so all I need now is people to do the artwork.

I plan on writing about 2 more songs and maybe even 1 more story. There's a snow storm tomorrow so that might be the best time for me to do it.

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-18 20:53:58

At 12/18/08 08:42 PM, Corky52 wrote: I haven't been trying to find people to do the art work or the voices for my stories, but someone did come to me asking to do the voices so all I need now is people to do the artwork.

I plan on writing about 2 more songs and maybe even 1 more story. There's a snow storm tomorrow so that might be the best time for me to do it.

I really liked your hacker story, i figured somebody already took it though.

Ghost/Supernat. Club | Join the Family | The FlashBase.

You always need at least one asshole moderator for your forum. Its not opinion, its fact

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-18 21:21:18

At 12/18/08 12:29 AM, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 12/17/08 11:51 PM, johnnycancer wrote:
At 12/17/08 11:05 PM, ForNoReason wrote: Just posted another story.
Wow! Yours is one of the best I've seen so far in terms of channeling the spirit of ol' Doctor Seuss.
lol! I completely agree! I love it!! We need more stories like that... short, fun, easy to draw to. Too many of the stories in the list aren't exactly ideal for an illustrated book. I think if we had more like ForNoReason's we'd get more takers.

Wow thanks to you both! I really appreciate the kind things everyone has been saying! I got one offer so far for my Silly Willy story by Flap-doodlez so I hope the other ones get picked up, also we will need an animator for his illustrations! Thanks again for this opportunity! :)

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-18 22:31:07

A revision of the B.E.E. character design. I know, this is not anything like I said it would be in the last post - but I think I like this one better. It's creepier. And B.E.E., god bless him, has got to look creepy looking - and never happy. Poor B.E.E....

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-18 22:44:47

I am almost done mine, I will post it tonight or tomorrow most probably. I have to go over it and add some detail where necessary, and fix some things. It is gonna be awesome! And btw, it will be over 2000 words :D

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-18 23:51:22

Two quick thumbnails.

Opening scene: close up shot of G.E.R.L.'s eye - zoom in as voice narrates line "Of course! Now I can see what you see, an amazing insight into what could be!"

These are rough, so bear with me - it's only to convey the way in which the storytelling is going to progress.

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-18 23:55:11

Second thumbnail. Camera pans right and we see G.E.R.L. talking with B.E.E. and we also see their surroundings for the first time; it's a lab of some kind, with lots of creatures in test tubes. We also notice that there are some dead bodies on the floor, and that security is about to address the situation.

Dialogue: "Well this is just me," said the girl with the bee.

That's it for now. Not even sure that was worth posting, but, hey, maybe other people will post their thumbnail storyboards too.

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-20 02:35:25

Um...okay, another update from me I guess. Just more concept art. This is more along the lines of how I want the story art to look. A little more sketchy; nothing inked this time, so no dark black lines anywhere. I don't know, maybe it doesn't end up making a huge difference.

Also, how did we not have any updates from RNNR today?

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2008-12-20 03:29:52

Lookin' pretty solid there Johnny ;)

Glad you got into this.