Reviews for "Super Space 3000"

Super solid concept, great visuals and music. Maybe making the time allowance a little more or implementing a medal system so someone not very good (IE me) could still progress without getting frustrated. But other than that I like it!

Yaro11111 responds:

Thanks! I had this idea to make it structured more like a rallying game, so each event would have 5 stages, and then new events would open up based on your scores. So that you would play couple events, and then maybe you would have to replay some previous ones to get better results and more points. So I guess what I'm trying to say, that right now the 4th place text might be too negative, it should be more of an encouragment to replay, and learn the track better than downright failure state with the ability to skip.

I like the whole idea of this game and it's harder then it looks. I like that it starts hard then gets more difficult.
If I may ask how long did it take to make this?

Yaro11111 responds:

Thanks! It started as a game for gmtk game jam(so I made it in 2 days). But then It took me 2 weeks to make it look nice, make better levels, add sounds and all that.

A lot of the most high-quality skill-based games out there are the ones that can be described as "easy to learn, hard to master". Which makes sense. If a game is described that way than that means anyone can load it up and enjoy it, meanwhile only those willing to put time and practice into it are able to enjoy the satisfaction that comes with being good at the game. The problem with this game is that it isn't "easy to learn, hard to master", it's "hard to learn, and I don't know what it's like to master it because I can barely even learn it".

Perhaps I've taken too long to say what almost everyone has said already, but what I'm saying is that the game is too hard, or rather, the game is too harsh.

The graphics are great, the story is interesting (not that I was able to get that far into it), the music is enjoyable, and the overall presentation of the game is very good. I couldn't say that this game is bad, even with my inability to succeed in it, I still found myself having a fair bit of fun. The problem is that there's nothing to ease players into a control scheme and concept that they are almost certain to be unfamiliar with. If this were my game, I would make it so that the time limits weren't required, but that they were incentivized with some kind of reward.

It's a good thing that the game has a "high skill ceiling", but it shouldn't be an "expert exclusive" game. If you simply tweak the game to be more beginner friendly, this game could be incredibly fun and incredibly addicting.

EDIT: It turns out that the "time requirements" weren't required at all and now I feel really stupid. I played through a bit more and it's still good fun. Again though, it would be nice if there were some kind of incentive to get those 1-3 ranks. But now that I realize I could play more of the game that whole time, that's more of a nitpick than a recommendation.

Yaro11111 responds:

I agree with all of your criticism. I'll update the game as soon as I'll have some free time. Btw, time limits are not required to continue, you can press s to skip(which just moves you to next level, and there's no real penalty), but I think I'll also change that so it's not so harsh.

Good game, but maybe not for me with slow fingers.

This is a cool idea. I don't like the execution. Some of the time it feels clunky. And the level design is clunky.

Yaro11111 responds:

Thanks for feedback! I think that clunkiness is caused by the fact that upon hitting a wall you go back to the place from which you started moving. I did that because it allows for some cool advanced moves, like moving around corner, collecting coin, purposefully hitting a wall and going back to your starting position. Also in later levels you’re often killed for bad move, so it’s less visible :D
And for level design, I think that in some levels I might have gone a bit overboard with camera transitions(e.g 1-5) making the player feel a bit disorientated at first, but with this game you’re supposed to replay levels many times anyway(most of the levels can be finished in under 10s) so after couple tries you should get the flow. I will try to make new levels a bit easier to follow(if I’ll make any).