00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Johndewey just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Rhunyc's arts?

155,780 Views | 1,235 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Rhunyc's arts? 2017-10-17 09:50:18

At 10/16/17 11:28 PM, Rhunyc wrote:
At 10/15/17 11:46 PM, Flowers10 wrote:
At 10/13/17 11:02 PM, Rhunyc wrote:
At 10/12/17 03:28 PM, Rhunyc wrote: heres an elemonk ill finish sometime soooooooooon
more progresssss
liking this, the light effect really works out!
Hey thanks man!

In the Level Up! group on facebook, I shared it asking for critique and they said this:

"This is way too dark to be honest and I feel that while the rim lighting works, the rest of what you have does not. Most of the character is set in shadow and that muddies out most of the image you want us to be looking at. I'd look into pushing the fill light with more blue or grays.."

Do you agree with that at all? Or do you think the darks work well for this image? I'm just looking to get another opinion on this to see. I'm thinking of lightening the image a bit, and then playing with it adding wetness to his skin to maybe push contrast a little more with the shininess.

(Here's the latest version so you can see:)

I think values are a very personal thing, if you look at historic painters like carravagio they used very dark colors in their paintings as well. its all about what kinda style/mood you want to achieve. look at how other artists structure it.and try emulate the stuff you like id say! alot of them exclusively use a certain value range for diffrent parts of theri painting to create a layered like effect, more depth and stuff. They are veryyy carefull with values, something i still strugle/try to experement with. The general rule for values though is make it 75% dark 25% light or the other way around. 100% black almost inst possible in real life because there practicly allways bounce light/ reflections present or even bounce light from the reflections. What i tend to do is make evrything low contrast and then put contrast in the places where i want the eye to go. in particulair the focal points. Hope this helps! id be glad to give more advice :)

Click on the sig!

Or my thread

BBS Signature

Response to Rhunyc's arts? 2017-12-22 02:08:42

At 10/17/17 09:50 AM, Flowers10 wrote:
Awesome Feedback!

SO I was totally intending to take all of this feedback constructively and respond in a timely manner, but life happened again and I lost steam on it. :( Although, I do plan on revisiting it when life slows down again! (hopefully in the next month or two)

In the mean time, here's a dog portrait I've been working on in whatever spare time I can muster together between working full time and daily life.

Rhunyc's arts?

"People could care less about you, what people really care about though, is the image of you. The idea of you."

Response to Rhunyc's arts? 2018-04-13 16:33:23

Here's a deer from wow that I'm doodling

Rhunyc's arts?

"People could care less about you, what people really care about though, is the image of you. The idea of you."

Response to Rhunyc's arts? 2018-04-13 16:38:25

Here's something else I did for an event

Rhunyc's arts?

Response to Rhunyc's arts? 2018-04-13 16:39:38

Here's a classic dead astronaut that I doodled

Rhunyc's arts?

Response to Rhunyc's arts? 2018-04-13 21:56:20

At 4/13/18 04:52 PM, dilandoubishop wrote:
At 4/13/18 04:39 PM, Rhunyc wrote: Here's a classic dead astronaut that I doodled
That is very pleasing.

Thanks man, I appreciate that