00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ahmad117 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3

73,836 Views | 433 Replies

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-04-03 21:31:23

At 3/24/09 04:19 AM, JarrodK wrote: Pictures should return next to User of The Day.

And on the topic of Users of the day...

I think users should be automatically PMed when they become users of the day.

Also I think there should be a small section in our profile that says "This user has NOT been UOTD yet." Or, "This user was UOTD on *Insert date here*"

Just something I think would be a nifty feature, nothing big just a small little blurb.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-04-10 13:45:14

One other I'd like to say as a politics regular:
SPECIAL RULES FOR POLITICS
Because it really is a different atmosphere than the other forums. The discussions are a lot more serious, and there's already been several attempts to write the unwritten rules down that have been created over the years.
As far as I know this one is the closest list we've got, but I would like to see some specialized rules for politics.

New to Politics?/ Friend of the Devil/ I review writing! PM me

"Question everything generally thought to be obvious."-Dieter Rams

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-04-12 18:00:55

I thought about a little suggestion that may benefit NG a little bit, as far as I know no-one has suggested something by the style.

In the icon helpers section, older submissions are displayed at the top and the newer flashes are at the bottom. I think this should be the other way around (the newest submissions should be at the top).

Basically, there are 2 reasons why I think this would be good:
- Most people make icons for the flashes which are at the top, because that's the first thing you see. Or at least it looks like that because there are always icons submitted for things at the top. So, most icons are made for older stuff that probably won't be watched as many times as the newest flashes, therefore it doesn't benefit NG at all.
- If you want to make icons for the newest stuff, you have to wait a little while for the whole page to load (depending on your connection). This kinda discourages you to make icons for submissions at the bottom.

And I think that's all, cheers :D

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-04-20 16:36:31

Create Achievements for doing certain stuff, Xboxdo it, and now PS3have realised what a money maker it is. Lots of other sites do it.

-----------------------------

for example:

"If you create a song that gets over 5 reviews" you get the - Starting Out Achievement or something.

"A flash with over 200 favourites" - Reaching your peak achievement

"Accumulating 70 or more people in one year with you as one of their favourite artists"-The Zero123Music Achievement- ;D

"A topic with over 100 replies...etc.

--------------------------

This should make people want to post in the forums and stuff- be more determined, kinda like the medals for flashes- but for all over the site.

>>Zero123Music

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-04-20 20:17:48

Small, but useful, BBS suggestion:

Link the BBS "Post Reply" page to the thread being replied to.

The current set-up tells me the name of the thread I'm posting in and links to the forum the thread is located, the BBS forum index, and the Newgrounds home page. However, there is no link to the thread itself (there is the id # in the URL when clicking "reply to post", but not with "reply with quote")

Sometimes I use Google to find BBS threads and find results for the "Post Reply" page rather than the thread itself, or I'll leave the "post reply" page open, and want to get back to the thread without having to post (especially if I've opened the "Post Reply" window in a new tab/window, so no back button for me) or go searching for the thread.

I would find it very convenient, and it would seem to be something easy to implement. Example:

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-04-27 19:17:09

We should have an option to hide our medals and/or favorites- mainly medals.

Also, this is kind of silly, but the link to our user page in the top right should always be bright orange even after you click it- it just looks better that way. :)

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-04-29 12:15:25

You should be able to suggest a movie or game for a collection while it is still under judegement. There are lots of good games and movies that never make it into a collection even if they deserve it. Some are forgotten after they pass judgement. I would be more likely to suggest it for a collection when I first play it than I would be to return and suggest it for a collection.

Of course, the suggestions should be withheld until the submission passes judgement. Otherwise, you guys would get swamped with suggestions about blammed submissions.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-04-29 18:51:22

I was wondering if you could make it so you could make the game genres sortable by things other than name (i.e., best/worst scores, date submitted, etc.). There's getting to be quite a few games in each section now, and it'd make things easier to find newer or top rated games if they were sortable.

11 pages is a bit much for me to search through, so if this idea has been brought up before, let's just say I second the idea. :)

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-05-01 01:42:33

Suggestion for display of Medals on user pages.

I would love to see users able to divide their medals into four categories: earned, incomplete, inactive and trophy case.

Incomplete:
All new medals introduced into games would default here.

Earned:
All medals the user acquires would default into this category.

Inactive:
Users would be able to select any medals from the incomplete category to move into this one.

Trophy Case:
Users would be able to select any medals from the earned category to move into this one.

Essentially, this would allow users to see any new medals introduced, siphon out the ones they may not care about and put their special achievements on display. It'd be great if the trophy case had a special spot on the user page as well.

Anyway, just my two cents. :)

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-05-01 06:27:16

Yahoo, Skype, and MSN link support in userpages. I don't understand why you can only link to your AIM account. But linking to the above would be fantastic.

We had some good times, Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-05-03 14:50:22

For audio submissions, make a link to the raw mp3 file so it can be played on mobile devices such as iphone and can be listened to without the cpu-hogging visualizer. The download audio button does not work on mobile devices, but the raw mp3 file does.

Make the "more latest audio submissions" and "more top audio submissions" buttons work.

Make the top 30 in audio update every day, not week.

Make a "top 10 most popular audio submissions" section.

That's what Ive got.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-05-03 20:16:18

Make a collaboration feature for audio submissions.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-05-04 01:34:20

Ok, it has bothered me a bit that a lot of submissions that have passed judjment with a descent score (yeah the ones that are green) don't get the exposure they deserve.

How about automating the whole process so that anything with the score of 3+ will be put on the frontpage, instead of being chosen by Tom and crew on the daily five. Kinda like on digg, where the submisson with most votes get to the frontpage.

So basicly moving P-bot up on the frontpage and making the whole thing live.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-05-05 02:37:13

Gosh I hope he still reads this.

Now I really though it was cool that you could level up on newgrounds and gain better weapons but why can we not use them. Since the forms can render flash with out a pop up I believe that we should put in a battle system. Now lets say some guy made you mad why don't you just kick his butt well with this you could. Now power would be determined by what level and weapon so a level 10 would most likely win against a level 5 but the level 5 would have a small chance to win. When you want to challenge someone you must click a fight button next to this persons name to fight them and that person must agree. If this person accepts you go into a fight, weapons are drawn and they fight to the death. Now if you win you are awarded a a tag for an hour that you kicked that person behind and the loser would receive a tag of shame saying you kicked there butt. This is just an idea but would really like to see something like this I mean why get a chainsaw if you can not use it. Also on the users profile there should be a list of all the people they defeated and all the people that defeated them.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-05-05 18:38:03

Since this has been coming up a LOT recently I thought I'd post it here. It seems that there has been a lot of submissions with only Spanish in it. Now I know it's a website so it is global but a large majority of users only speak English.
I was thinking in the new redesign you could include something in the flash submission section of the FAQ add something about, "Your flash must include at least an English translation. You may use another language in it but you must translate it seeing as how a large majority of our user base solely speaks English."
Also possibly make it flagable under unsuitable too I'm thinking because there is no way a user that can't understand the language in the submission can fully judge it.

Now I don't mind a flash in Spanish, German, etc. as long as there is an English translation. The BBS has a rule against posting in a language other than English I don't see why it shouldn't apply to the flash portal as well.

JUNE 28, 2009. RIP BILLY MAYS. THE LEGEND, THE GOD, THE BILLY MAYS.

Current Medal Score 49220. Ranked:90th +12

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-05-05 21:25:24

Let medals show up on people's user pages without requiring them to have a news post/submission. There's topics popping up in wi/ht everyday with someone asking why their medals aren't showing up. Not having them show up will also discourage the people from playing games who don't even ask in the forums and just assume the medal system is broken.

I'm your average Afro-American fetus. For example: I enjoy basketball, I'm rather good when I play too, but I'm much too busy scratching my horrific cracked skin these days.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-05-06 23:10:09

This would me by first post to this thread and I doubt these ideas will be read, but what the hell might as well offer up my suggestions anyways, although these ideas probably won't be taken for granted at all.

1) Friends List

I have a feeling I'm not the only one to mention this. Even Tom mentioned it in a NG News thread once before. I realize that this idea isn't a good one due to the fact that we have the Contacts List for our PM's and Flash Portal Buddies. However a friends list could be a new version of the PM Contacts List.

2) Favorite Series

There are many popular series on Newgrounds, and although Newgrounds users should still be able to reserve the right to only favorite certain episodes of series, some users enjoy series as a whole and when adding the episodes to their favorite flash submissions can tend to make their favorites cluttered and not appealing. Being able to have a favorites list for your favorite series would be nice.

3) Newgrounds Chat

You're probably also looking for ideas on the Newgrounds Chat as well, so I'll offer up something. I would like you to please keep in mind that I hardly ever use a chat system and I don't enjoy using a chat system. I suggest Private Rooms to be opened up for certain purposes... such as the following.

- Stolen Submissions
If a submission is discovered to be stolen a place to report it would be nice that way Administrators could be informed and a quicker response can be taken action of. Don't get me wrong PM'ing an admin is still nice, but like a police station... the quicker response time the better.

- Mod Lounge
Let's cut the crap, we all know there is a moderators lounge on the BBS, but for ample good reason. That way moderators can report stuff and communicate to each other and catch someone off breaking the rules quicker. It's a good thing and thus without the mod lounge, user sirtom93 could've done something terrible. A Mod Lounge to keep spammers out of the chat would also serve a great purpose however I suggest a hiring of a few more new moderators that can monitor the chat more often... possibly 5 or 10 new moderators.

- Live Cam Chat
This should only be subject to admins, but depending on how much you trust your users depends on where you would go with this. A Live Cam set-up would make it to where simple users can see what goes on at a Mod-Meet or a Meet-Up, they can't be there, but it would be nice to be able to watch.

- Collab Rooms
Collaboration rooms would be helpful for flash artists or even audio artists who are collaborating on something. They can be opened to the public with/without comments or private unseen to the public.

4) Audio on Userpage
We have a lot of great music in the audio portal. Myspace let's you have a song play on your profile, so why can't Newgrounds do the same thing with the audio portal?

That's all I have to suggest...

HAVE A NICE DAY!
:D

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-05-08 05:48:53

The request for a new Genre - Film Score/ Soundtrack

After the previous thread was locked (Link to previous thread) because random people started throwing random ideas about I would like to redirect my request here. I suggest a Genre addition to the Audio Section which would be a favourited to all those people who work hard at making music devoted to film. This genre is Film Score. As before I explained why this music is not classical and why it needs a seperate section. And there is no doubt in my mind the many people who created this type of music who would appreciate this addition.

If you want me to explain the differences between classical music and film score music it's fairly easy, so I can.

The opinion is not just of mine. For the brief duration the thread was open we got replies like:
Danman87: "you got my 110% agreement there"
Nekoprism: "Amen, I second that!"
Popraz: "The score genre is in my opinion absolutely necessary."

The very few people that wern't happy with the request had always been from people who dont make that type of music, and cared little for it. I severly doubt you would get someone here who makes that type of music, and doesnt want the genre added.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-05-18 11:32:27

Just for the pessimists amongst you - I do still read this thread on a daily basis and the only time I'll ever ignore suggestions is when they've already been put out there.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-05-20 17:14:11

I can't go a day in the wi/ht forum without seeing a new user who doesn't know how to deposit exp. Thankfully many users have this picture to post. I suggest it should be added to the Help/FAQ, inside the Experience Points section.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-05-20 21:19:22

How about removing this page, as it is highly inaccurate.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-05-21 16:26:14

I think there should be a piece of software that communicates with the site, which can alert you when you have just received a pm, review, a reply to a post or review and when a new flash has been submitted to the portal.

Maybe as an extra could be a client that runs the site rather than using the web browser (which would allow an interface designed specifically for the newgrounds site)

I think this would be a good idea as I like watching flash as they are submitted into the portal and if I were to receive an alert when a submission has been uploaded I'd be likely to check it out.

As for the the pm bit, imagine you have sent someone a pm and you are expecting a reply, you could receive an alert as soon as they have replied.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-05-21 17:41:23

I hope this idea gets considered, I think it'd be pretty cool. This was kind of brought to my mind on April's Fool day when the whole had a do over and was all red.

I think we should be able to customize the way NG looks for us. A sort of skins for NG. And maybe this doesn't have to be site wide if it's too complicated to do, but just user page skins.

--- a. What level of user demand for this idea would there be?

I think everyone would like to be able to customize the appearance of their user page or the way they see Newgrounds. Everyone customizes their own computer background right? Personally I'd like a deep red better than the current black.

--- b. Does it serve a purpose?

Yes, it allows the user to have a more visually appealing experience, and personalizes their experience with Newgrounds.

--- c. Is there something else NG does that already takes care of this?

Definitely not. Closest personalization options are user pictures, icon images and forum signatures.

--- d. Include your reasoning in your post.

I think I pretty much reasoned my idea already. If it requires too much bandwidth, then I'm sure this idea will be scrapped. Otherwise, everybody loves personalizing stuff!

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-05-26 14:51:28

I had an idea for the "Some Account Type Thingy" at the bottom of the forum. When you sign in use that as like a little status ticker so we can see how many posts we made in a day, if we are currently banned, and what not. I hate checking to see if I'm banned by clicking "Post new topic" after a night of rather 'regretable posting."

Krbyfan1(kur-bee-fan-one)- A creature that resides in the state of Colorado. Distinguished by his size, love of small mammals, video games, and the anime series "Tenchi Muyo!"

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-05-27 00:00:01

Three suggestions based on the wide layout

1 - A profile option to have movies not automatically play, similar to how under judgment and adult movies also don't automatically play, but instead go to a default play button.

2 - Next to the current 3 buttons (brightness, popup, fullscreen) an X button that simply returns the movie to the default play button. This is so people can close a movie if they wish to review it without it continuing to run / play music.

3 - It would be really cool if a flash author had control over the "You might also enjoy..." list that appears next to their movies. Similar to submitting a movie with audio portal music, there could be a page where you enter in the portal IDs of 8 movies, and those would be the one that appear next to your flash submissions. You could use this to promote your other movies, or just some of your own personal favorites.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-05-30 00:21:58

I was in the flash portal, and I was thinking and i wanted to know if anyone else agrees with me. I hate seeing things with ratings 1.4 and 1.7 getting passed. I would love to see the pass rate go up to at least a 2.0 to get passed. If an animation gets below a 2 must be pretty shitty. So if newgrounds would up the pass rate we would get more quality animations and the spam rate would go down as well. Please tell me what you think!

Life is a serious of a events you perceive through your senses

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-05-31 15:19:51

[Warning: Rant] [Suggestions are below]
As a long time lurker on Newgrounds, I'd like to say the the Collections page makes no fucking sense.

First of all, what is the point of having Collections? I mean, series are a way of honoring artists who take time to develop characters or at least focus on one theme. The collections though, are all over the fucking place.

Some group together flash that all have to do with one event. I guess that makes sense, someone might want to see how Newgrounders responded to certain events. Documenting history is cool.
Some of the collections group together flashes that parody one subject, like a TV series or stereotype. Now these collections sometimes make sense when there are a lot of parodies, I mean, the Matrix collection has a bunch of quality content. In order to fill up space on each collection page, there is unavoidably crap lining the bottom. Unfortunately, some collections like Emo don't have any quality flash, leaving us with a shit sandwich.
Some collections are just really vague, like sticks or politics. You can't really expect to lump together every flash where the artist couldn't be bothered to draw the body of their characters. Every good stick figure flash should also qualify for another page, like funny cartoons or ultraviolence or something. Also, you can't really expect to lump together every flash that talks about politics either. You are going to end up lumping together anti-Bush flash with campaign 2008 flash with Barack Obama presidency flash. Hell, you might as well have a pixelated collection, putting together every shitty animator who can use pixel tools.

Sub-collections just make the whole thing more confusing. The main three offenders are holidays, Newgrounds, and the king of subcollections: video game parodies. I mean, it is bad enough that pages like Valentines Day are hidden in hard to find subcategories. This shit gets ridiculous when you consider that some of these subcollections have subcollections within them. That's right, there is enough content in collections like Christmas, Clock Crew, or Halloween to force them to be divided into even smaller categories, but they still don't get their own link on the collections page while Mikey does.
For video game parodies, the situation is just fucking ridiculous. I mean, Newgrounds has had a lot of video game parodies. In fact, the Street Fighter Collab is currently the second top scoring flash on this site. However, if you want to see all these parodies, you have to dig through the pile of shit that is the collections page to find the one link that leads to the video games parodies page. Then, you are greeted with over 30 subcollections, each with more content than that lame ass Napster collection. And then, if you scroll down past all those pages, you find even more flash. And then, if you are very patient, you find high quality shit like Nin10do!, or Decline of Video Gaming, three quarters of the way down the page. Seriously, some of the parodies put above these on the very same page are so bad, that they have been blammed. There is no possible way any new user could possibly wade through that much crap to find those gems.
Coincidentally, Castle Crashers is not a subcollection, even though it is most definitely a video game.
And then there are those subcollections that are scattered about the site, such as the Lemon Demon music videos collection which is hidden on the second page of the music videos page. I have no idea how many of those hidden collections there are and I can't think of any way of finding those collections that doesn't involve wasting a fucking lot of time.

Then there are the obvious collections that have not been made, like the collection for the swine flu, the shapes animations, or the Tankie nominees. It seems that the only collection pages that have been added recently are subcollections. That probably means that even the guys who are supposed to updating the collections page have no idea what the fuck is supposed to be there either.
[Rant end]

So here is my suggestion to help fix the collections page. First, find some way of marking links so you know you are clicking on a collection/series and not an individual flash. That way, collections can be on pages mixed in with portal submission without making them too hard too find.
Second, move all the good subcollections from their hidden location to the collection page. I mean, ideally the NG collabs page should get more coverage than Stephen Hawking, and we definitely have more quality cartoons in the Mario collection than the scat collection.
Next, move all the dead collections, like Animutations or Wazzup, to only be in the portal history page. The only people who could give a shit about them are probably also interested in the portal's history anyway.
Then, move all the parody collections to the parody toons page. Since the collections are now marked differently than normal flashes, people might actually be able to find the parodies they want. I mean seriously, Mario and Laura Croft are right on top of the parodies page while the video game parodies are hidden away.
Finally, the only thing left on the collections page will be the vague shit, like Anime or Experimental, the whimsical, like old folk or ghetto, and the few pages that actually deserve to be collections, like Flash Tutorials, Clock Crew, or Christmas. The collection page will still be mediocre, but it would be less of a train wreck than it is now.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-06-01 03:36:14

I made this idea on the BBS thread in general... and then PM'd it to you because I didn't know about htis thread.
I got an idea for a feature. For first time accounts, for people first starting the BBS, there should be the rules page, before you click general. with instructions. And pictures. Maybe it can be a flash movie. It will outline every rule, and name some mods, and how their deposition is. Then it will outline what pictures are photoshop thread worthy, and which ones fail. Basically something like that. And it's mandatory, you cant skip the first time. Otherwise, you can.
It's copypasta'd

Vote Green.

Sig by PabMo. Thank you very much.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-06-21 19:10:19

I use the favorite submissions list not to show others what I like, but to make it easier to access my favorites, and also to keep track of those submissions I'd like to try later. Maybe I'm not alone with this, so I think it would be great to have fourth button for the favorites in the top right corner of the page.
It would also be great to have a separate list of games and movies in the favorites menu (just like on the userpage).
And I'd like to have "Wacth/Play it later" button by the submission near the "Add to favorites" button. This button would send the submission to a different favorite list so it won't mix with the real favorites.
There should be 3 columns in the favorite menu: one for the games, one for the movies and one for the "Wathc/Play it later". Then from this 3rd column a flash could be moved to the real favorites either with drag and drop or by clicking to the "Add to favorites" button on it's page. Adding to favorites would delet it automatically from the watch it later menu.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-06-22 20:31:07

there would be a bit less confusing and more art friendly if you had a art forum for art issues.
and take whats now named art forum and name it after what it is like "attention whoring" or "i need one of these scout thingys" or "look at my stuff"

so that art discussions can dwell somewhere