00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zombiehit just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3

73,726 Views | 433 Replies

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-06-22 22:26:09

How about the ability to report BBS posts as abusive? They could be put in a pool for the mods of a given forum, and whichever gets to it first can deal with it. There could even be a notice at the top of the page that a post has been reported, so they can go there immediately. It would have to be reported some number of times by different users though, to avoid abuse. I admin another large website, and this is the feature I most wish we had.

Also, how about a way to ban known cheaters and hackers from receiving medals and from showing up on the medal list in nglogs? It's not fair to those of us who have to figure the games out for people to come around and receive medals without actually earning them in any way.

Finally, I've noticed that the flash portal is out of sync with where submissions are. A number of times I've clicked on an "under review" submission, only to have it load immediately and be able to see its score and reviews, but when I go back to the flash portal and refresh, it still shows up as being under review. Getting this working in realtime would be useful for those of us who want to catch up on our blams and protects.

Deploy the... it's a yellow button... it's usually flashing... it makes the engines go... whoosh!

Back my puzzle/adventure story mashup

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-06-25 14:10:24

Well I've noticed something about Newgrounds. There is a top 50 latest, the best of the week and the best all time.

I've been thinking. Why not make a Top 20 Least Viewed List?

The thing is, with a least viewed list more hits are distributed. I'd imagine that the list is constantly changing. All productions in an unbiased manner would receive many more hits. It would keep content circulating and cure/resurrect "dead productions".

I had once been running a custom php webcomic site in where I had a 'least viewed' top 10. It really does keep things rolling. It makes it so that everyone gets a fair chance, and best of all it never took away from 'the greatest of all time'.

There is seriously enough exposure for everyone, it just has to be utilized in the right way.

If there are too many productions within the last 6-7 years to create the list, why not limit it to flash movies released within the last 6 months?

From what I've seen, the pros out-weight the cons.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-06-29 01:20:33

a lot of people know it is annoying to get 0 bombed on the audio portal and mayby the flash portal too so i came up with an idea to help slow down if not stop 0 bombing and let the author know how the audio/flash is doing

flash and audio submissions should have a list of the 5 most recent votes and who voted on it, im sure if people saw who was doing it then the person who does it would be less inclined to bomb submissions

just a thought

-ganon95-

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-06-29 20:09:08

A button on every author's page near the Submissions by xxx (Related Submissions column) enabling the music player to play through all of the author's works with some simple options such as repeat, random, play once, or selected only.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-07-04 12:16:22

Here's a list of minor suggestions:

1. Add more search options(portals, forums, user pages, etc.) to the most accessible search bar on the site, up top there. Pain in the ass to scroll down and look for the other search for each portal.

2. Friends ! I posted about it here, http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1078 088

3. Support for the way better .png format.

4. More profile control? Ability to move around side panel stuff? Only being able to move the middle windows up and down doesn't seem like much.

I didn't mean to come of as insulting or anything, I'm sure some of it's a bitch to code, lol. <3

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-07-09 08:10:10

I'd like to suggest a Pirate Collection, seeing as there are quite some pirate games on Newgrounds and with a collection it would be easier for users to find it.

--- a. What level of user demand for this idea would there be?

Quite a lot, seeing as these games and movies are pretty popular, and there are some good quality games and movies around, and a lot of them.

--- b. Does it serve a purpose?

Other than making it easier for users to find said games, no. It's just an expansion of the collections.

--- c. Is there something else NG does that already takes care of this?

No.

--- d. Include your reasoning in your post.

As stated above.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-07-15 19:30:20

how about limit of comment on someone news per day
like, i don't know... how about 100 per day?

does it sounds reasonable

(i saw a lot of post abou5t the comment, but nothing about a post limit)

~Member of the EGB since 10/04/07 ~Member of the NGDD since 10/28/07

~thanx a million times for the sig CagedSilhouette

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-07-15 19:45:32

With at least one mod getting phished recently, and multiple mods getting their accounts stolen in other ways, some ideas have come up in the most recent pages in the Elite Guard Barracks, and I'd like to share mine here (since there's much more of a chance of this getting admin attention).

My idea is a feature that wouldn't be hard to code for you coders, given that it's on a Hell of a lot of other sites (including popular preteen hangout Gaia). It's a redirect page, something like http://www.newgrounds.com/redirector.php ?http://yoururlhere.net/stuff/images.htm (with the part after the question mark being the target URL). Implement that for all non-NG links, with a message after it warning the user not to give out NG account information or passwords on that site. That way, we won't get another mod becoming just another trout to the phishermen, and it will save normal user accounts too.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-07-16 08:03:19

I think its time that we ban the ability to vote 0,1,2,3, or 4 on submissions. Some people are just not good enough in flash and to have a submission blammed would just ruin their self esteem. This should be a place of equal treatment, and a 10 second stick flash made by the heart and soul of an unexperienced author should get the same attention as a Krinkles flash. Some people will never live up to be a big star like Krinkes or The Swain or ego raptor so its time we bring those authors down to the average users level.

Also the slogan should be from Everything by Everyone to We wont hurt your feelings.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-07-18 01:40:30

Kitty Krew Day '09 has proved something to me. The system is flawed.

The system is a good idea in an environment where people are honest, but if someone wants to use it for malicious means they can mess things up easily. Throughout the day, kitty krew members submitted a wide range of good and bad flashes. many of the bad flashes got blammed, as is expected. What we did not expect is for at least 4 quality flashes being flagged. This happened this morning and no one has been able to do anything about it yet.

At the same time, I have seen many people claim stolen games and movies as their own. People realize its stolen, but the flash does not get enough people to blow the whistle on it. After the flash passes, it goes on like normal, sometimes with reviews pointing out that it was stolen. The person who stole it does not get punished and can go on to do it again. This typically happens with not so well known flashes across the web that are not yet found on newgrounds.

This sounds pretty ass backwards to me.

Here is my proposal for a better system.
One of the big problems with the current system is that its automatic. so many people flag the flash, and poof its gone. this may be good for malicious flashes, but not stolen material. What i propose is a manual check for stolen flashes. the authority person who is in charge of the system (its Wade now) has a list of flashes that have been flagged by anyone. There the person can view all the whistle blower's comments, and then take the appropriate steps to either flag the flash or keep it saved.

I say authority figure because with this type of manual system, it would probably require several people sorting through the flashes for it to successfully work. Probably something along the lines of a new type of mod.

I created a topic about it here: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1083 233

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-07-19 06:08:02

I was browsing through my audio submissions (I have 34 of them right now) and was thinking how difficult it might be for a potential listener to search for the better sounding music in my account. Common sense would lead me to believe that a large quantity of songs in an account makes it difficult for the visitor to find something of his/her liking.

Many would be discouraged and would simply avoid listening in the first place. Some would be fooled by the scores and would prefer to listen to a 4.21/5 song instead of a 3.97/5 song, hence clicking on my worse submissions (not score related) and decide that the rest of my songs are the same.

My point is, why not give us the chance to create folders/albums to place our songs in? I don't think that it would be hard to implement and the advantages would be various for everyone:

1)The artists could place the music in various folders/albums, thus giving them the chance to group their music by genre, theme, month of creation or whatever they want. This could also be implemented for flash submissions (e.g. group all episode flashes in a folder, parody flashes in another folder, etc.).

2)The account would appear more orderly and appealing to the eye.

3)The listeners who happen to bump into your account will have higher chances in finding something of interest to them.

It's just a thought.
------------------

TL:DR
I need Folders to organize my large number of songs. Any chance this will ever happen?

Side note: I know that I can delete my bad songs, but that would imply removing all the comments that were given to them (good and bad) which would be a shame

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-07-19 13:08:47

My idea to stop people losing their accounts from those spam PMs with links in. You know, when the mods got hacked and all havoc broke loose? I think you understand how annoying that was.

Idea:
One of those things that when someone clicks a link that leaves the site, it gives a 'WARNING: You are leaving this site!' message, just so they realise it will no longer be NG.

How could it be achieved?:
Well there is already a system that turns URLs into links automatically on posts and messages, so it is half way there. It could be modified to go to something like 'newgrounds.com/leaving/www.actual-link-
thing.com' and give the warning on that page. Maybe a 'Do you want to continue?' and other options etc etc...

Purpose:
To stop phishing; to help stop people losing their accounts.

Already done?:
Nope; this idea appears to be a new thought on this site.

How does it affect the user?:
Well it helps them, but wouldn't actuality require any more effort from them. So good users don't have problems, and spam users have more difficulty tricking people to giving their accounts away.

Why do this?:
People (like me for example) are quite lazy, and so it will always be easy to trick people onto other fake sites. However it would only require a simple thing such as this idea to help prevent it.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-07-19 14:20:04

Ok I REALLY think this is a good idea and would benefit the entire flash and audio community.

For the Flash portal, Newgrounds has a neat and tidy co-author system set up, but there is one major flaw. You can only select ONE thing that a person did. In many instances, a co-author might have not only done the MUSIC but the WRITING as well. That person would want to be credited for both of those things so more people would want to hire him for his music and/or his writing. More people would know that he not only did the music, but wrote it as well. Since the two are completely different things, no one would really know that he did both the music and writing when the co-author system says that he only did the MUSIC.

What Im saying is that I think the co-author system should allow multiple titles for one person, say 3 maximum. This way, everyone will be able to be labeled for EVERYTHING they did and not just ONE.

And honestly, barely anyone looks at the credits in the game or movie... the co-author placement makes it almost the first thing you see when the page loads so everyone will know what each co-author did. And many people out there need a write, musician, voice actor, e.t.c. and will be looking for those titles under the co-authors of movies and games. If they dont see that the musician actually wrote the movie as well because the co-author system only allows one label, he will move onto another flash looking for a writer.

AS FOR THE AUDIO PORTAL

I think the audio portal needs a co-author system... but im sure that sometime or another the portal will be updated as it has many flaws.

Here is what the multi label flash co-author system would look like. Either a | or a / would seperate each label. Yet again, there is just enough space for 3 labels so I think 3 should be the maximum.

THANKS! I hope you reply. :)

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-07-21 11:10:52

STEM said i should post my idea here.

"I lose track of how much time i waste on the BBS, so i'd love to be able to find out how much life i've wasted in total on NG being logged in, and to keep track of how long i waste being an annoying sub-troll on here per log in sessions. I daresay it could improve productivity!"

.....There was a hole. *sig by LimitedMortality*

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-07-22 23:16:11

For copyright reasons ad revenue should only go to people with original audio. This will encourage the use of the audio portal by flash artists and potentially save NG from any lawsuits or threats.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-07-24 01:14:06

There should be changes to the front page news post regulations: people who have won TOTW and Underdog awards should not get them. The majority abuse that right.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-07-24 08:04:00

At 7/24/09 01:14 AM, BrianEtrius wrote: How about adding as part of a flash/audio/art submission when you're crediting the various people you can credit someone as influence.

It would make sense for all the Madness and Clock Crew and whatnot submissions to credit the original artist.

It's already there in the flash portal submission process.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-07-24 19:26:45

The games, movies, series, and collections portals need some extreme change. Almost nothing new comes to the 4 examples in each sub-genre, and not much new flash is being placed in some collections, such as in the games, movies, and mature portal.

Also, as noticed by others, the downloads and chatroom haven't been updated since forever. There are a few useless links when sent from some reference links, and the bottom link references need to be updated for a better look, and for an art portal link.

Many's idea for a friend list is great, because newgrounds seems to show little priority in spectator acounts, and so the only way to get known contacts is for getting in collaboration woth other flash users. This is a little bias for other coordinators of the audio and art portal, and it seems the only thing spectators can do is to rank others' productions.

The ranking system should also be editted, because more than 75% of the submissions here is only viewed at their early life, and then is left stuck somewhere in the portal forgotten. Perhaps raising the score minimum needed will help.

According to many, the audio portal has so much potential, like bringing it around like an application on facebook, except it can be found at every link within newgrounds. There are so much audio, and even though your letting a select few in, there are just too little that people would look forward to listen again (much like the audio portal). Also, the voice-acting genre is present, but it can't be selected from the genre-selection scrolldown, which happens to be one of the most popular genre other than techno or "PX9" audio submissions. The color-coded score, according to a few in this forum, does not work, which is true.

Something cool would be a "flash", "art", and "audio" day, where the front page is featured with the content.

Contest variety should increase, because all are within art, audio, and flash. Although this is what I'm talking about, contests for better improvements for the site could work (like the time when ads for a link to the mainpage was competed over). Contests to add more downloads, change the layout of the site temporarily (like in, oh I don't know, "art day"?), and to design awards, which brings me to...

I think being able to design the layout of small things for yourself would show some individuality, like switching our level icon be clicking it from your design to our design, and maybe being able to incorporate products made from flash (such as cursors or level icons) to our own account. You could pile those "personalizers" in a "trbute" portal, or something like that.

Being able to change the color theme of newgrounds for ourselves is a little frivolous, but my eyes are getting a bit worn out from seeing orange and black everywhere.

The picture in the flash portal needs to include a few more crew members, because those crew members already went down in history here.

Medals from games look more like pictures in squares. Huh. This is very bad D:.

Maybe you could return the flash animation now since computers are now modern and faster. You know, the one which appears every time you vote? (Or at least used to.) Plus, the NG mag archives need serious editting, because every article isn't availabe, show ing a funny yet crappy animation of Darnell burning some paper (wtf?).

Also, I did post 4 replies last time. Maybe you could add an edit feature to your posts, maybe not being able to remove, but at least able to add on.

You should update your self-ads (ads in newgrounds leading to another link within newgrounds, like the medal page or enlisting add). Not the link itself, but the design of them. 'Is all I'm saying. (And I am talking about making an animation for the medal ad and includin "submit art as well!" at the enrolling link.)

Heck! Just make medals a spot in the collections portal!

If you actually do upgrade customization for personalization, you should consider placing ads for newgrounds on better sites that will definitely get more traffic, like AdventureQuest or World of Warcraft's site. But not on every empty space. Because it does get annoying. Very annoying. Especially AdventureQuest. Period.

I don't feel like writing forever, so I'll tell you this - since you set those surveys, it really improved this site a heck of a mountain. Make more surveys! Make a mini-survey (I really mean poll, but w/e) on a few of pages on newgrounds. Like medals and the flash layout - brilliant! And the audio portal finally doesn't freeze uncontrollably everytime the time bar is moved. It makes me look forward to listening songs over and over again. However...

The Art Portal has a lot of potential, but it is already filled with too much crap, and I just don't get scouting. The Art Portal is like a garbage can for art at the most, not a cesspool. The layout is beautiful, but the sub-genres are really vague to actually categorize in. But the filtering for maturity is brilliant... You should place filters for the flash portal too.

I really miss the subject content, so I have to guess what is the thing that makes it rated that.

Add some maturity ratings for the audio portal. Two would be fine - "For Everyone", and "Has Everything". You can guess which has the mature content. or, Friendly and Hazordous. Or E and M. W/E.

You need to publicize the user of the day on the front page. I only acknowledged that award yesterday. You need to give an actual design for it, too. Make the award visible to everyone on their page, until the day has passed, and then leave an award with a different design for a retired user of the day. A little trifling, but if you want it on the site, might as well perfect it.

UPDATE GAME OF THE MOMENT MORE FREQUENTLY! You coul make it like miniclip's front page features, featuring a movie, audio submission, and art submission also.

The score ratings for flash submissions should be more accurate - sometimes I see one with a higher score underneath one or two lesser-scored submissions. And I do know that the Awesome/Great Score color codes are different from the front page than the flash potal page.

Make more featured days, like "Canada Day", or "Independance Day". Also, get the bots functioning better, focusing on i-bot here. He hasn't featured any art yet.

I'll update later.

If you read everything, hugs and thanks for you! (No kisses 'o') If you didn't, w/EVAH. My show is on, which is the only reason I'm stopping.

Here is my art submission which has yet to be scouted. And it shouldn't be. Srsly. It sucks ballsack.

Anonymous will learn something soon enough - Karma is a bitch.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-07-25 22:47:53

Not sure if this has been suggested, but a screening process for fileswaps. Too many things are being fileswapped and if the swap actually served a purpose and was adequate, it would pass anyway

Like in the art portal, turn off AO Content option? Self Explanatory...

Turn Off Thumbnails option? Too many DD flashes and a recurring flash with the thumbnail of a gay blowjob are truly disturbing... Just turning off the thumbnail shouldn't take away from the flash, but it will stop random people from seeing NSFW images from sick freaks

I fear for future generations

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-07-31 08:55:58

There should be an option to add series to your favorites section. It would save room instead of having a link to every single little episode.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-08-01 02:00:11

This is my idea for the NG mini box =] ,
its a small box that is always on your bottom right side of the screen, it will be decorated in NG metal grey and NG / HL2 orange.

But first.. You know when your, say, browsing the forums? You have no idea whats going on in the flash, audio or art portal!
Something great might be happening while your ignorantly posting memes in some lame general thread!

But with this NG gadget,
every time something happens, a little screen will come out from the box and it will say if somebody created a thread/Somebody submitted a flash animation
Saying.
"Attention!" As the title on the top,
"<Enter NG username here> Has submitted a flash submission and is currently under judgement!"
And it will have a little picture of the flash`s icon, and when you click it, it will instantly jump you to that submission.
Same with audio or art.

And it will also tell you when somebody creates a thread.
"<Enter NG username here> Has just posted a thread in <Enter topic here>!"
And it will have the title of the thread and when you click it, you will appear in that thread.

NG news will also come up on the screen (Since you never know with all the people on this site)

If these get annoying the box has an options button so that you can tick off what you want to be informed on and don`t want to be informed on.
(This way its a win for the people that want the box and don`t want the box)

When you vote to Blam/Protect a flash, then when it gets through/gets blammed, it will also tell you
Because I`ve noticed that when i`ve voted on a judgement flash, it mostly just.. goes and i have no idea if i got the points

Plus, the mini box will show you if a flash hits the top charts/gets front page, like:
"Attention!" As the title...
"<Enter Flash name here> Has just earned a trophy!"
And it will display the flash`s icon and the trophy that it has next to it.
This will be great for authors to watch over they`re own submissions without having to go over to they`re account and staring at them.

Any flash thats...
-On the front page.
-On your favs list
-Has been voted positively by you. (3+)
Will be effected by the trophy part.

The box will also have the NG chat installed onto it, so you can chat and browse NG at the same time! with a friend PM system aswell.
(Kinda like steam chat but no Ctrl+Tab annoyance)

With a site as big as NG, i think that this will be a great thing to add on to it, since NG is far too big now for you to know whats going on half
of the time anymore, so this little gadget will make everything easier for everybody!
Since NG is in the center, i found that the Minibox can sit in the side bar, which is completly out of the way. and if you want it somewhere else,
It can be dragged to another spot where you find it to be best to be.
Thank you and i hope that this idea will be considered =]

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-08-01 06:47:53

Ability to dim the lights on anything you want people see interest in.
Example- Someones needs to know where the Rankings tab is, you can give them a url and everything will show up dimmed but the Rankings tab, and the ability to turn it off from a button, maybe next to your username, or just go back to the previous page.
--- a. What level of user demand for this idea would there be?
Every level.
--- b. Does it serve a purpose?
Yes, stated above.
--- c. Is there something else NG does that already takes care of this?
No.
--- d. Include your reasoning in your post.
Stated above.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-08-05 10:58:15

repost from
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1090 206
Instrument choice section
The individal song pages could use a section listing the instrument(s) used, or with virtuals the keysound. The Audio Portal could then have a section where you could search for songs with your favorite instrument type. It might also lead to better, more specific, and useful reviews.

otoh TMM43 mentioned it might require too much programing to be worth it, so in the alternative just a recommendation that audio authors might want to include instrument info in their song's general description so we can google for it.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-08-05 23:13:54

Another idea:

Show the whistle RANK number of those with normal or garbage whistles. This would give people immediate feedback on the accuracy of their whistling habits, without disclosing the points system itself. The full details and reasoning of the idea can be read in the discussion thread, but it basically boils down to this:

- Normal + Garbage whistles get a rank number displayed beneath them. This would give newer users a clue if they were flagging things correctly or not before their whistles go up / down in status, without showing the points themselves (lots of accounts with unused whistles = obvious changes in whistle rank upon whistling something that gets deleted / cleared).

- Bronze or higher whistles are not changed at all (the rank score disappears once the whistle gets to bronze). This idea is to help those who aren't that confident with whistling stuff, and it's probably unnecessary to users who've already managed to improve their whistle level (i.e. they already know what's abusive and what isn't). To avoid it being used as a bragging tool by the older users, it shouldn't appear after the whistle has reached bronze.

This ultimately depends on if it's actually possible to create a rank system from the whistle points system in the first place, but if it is I think this could make people more willing to use the whistle feature without fear of getting a garbage one before they realise they were making a mistake with it.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-08-07 10:49:00

Ok, my idea was suddenly deleted, so I'm reposting it with a different version.

Allow users to login to Newgrounds with OpenID and allow existing users to map their username to an OpenID.

Warm up yourself here: openid.net/developers

Save Firefox and free software!

iMate900 4 BBS Mod in 2010!

RIP Michael Jackson. RIP Billy Mays. (But I do not care for them)

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-08-08 17:38:36

The green and blue "High Score" markers would be great to have in the audio portal. They would work well to get good songs more listens on their first run through the front page of the AP. Right now the songs get maybe 30 listens and 5 votes and then are gone.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-08-09 00:08:36

Interaction with Newgrounds via a client API.

For example:
www.newgrounds.com/api/create_new_post - takes in a blog post POSTed to it and post it to Newgrounds
www.newgrounds.com/api/vote_on_flash - votes on a Flash specifying the ID of the Flash and the rating

Also, I'd like the ability to share a Audio Portal, Art Portal or Flash Portal submission on Twitter/Facebook/Digg/Delicious...

Save Firefox and free software!

iMate900 4 BBS Mod in 2010!

RIP Michael Jackson. RIP Billy Mays. (But I do not care for them)

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-08-09 11:37:18

Hi

Two suggestions:

1) A Point and Click section in the games area. There are TONS of these and they clutter up the adventure games section. There are so many of them that the idea of making a sub-section for them just isn't working.

2) Profile Customization. Allow members to customize their profiles, by changing the colour theme, modify the banner etc.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-08-20 16:44:56

I think that reading the Help/FAQ section should be manditory (and that it should be editted among other things, like Tom's Bio and Newground's History). Making a manditory quiz concerning its content would help catch users who simply skip the guidelines. Plus, making the age option manditory is important for restricting them from all flash over their suggested rating.

Anonymous will learn something soon enough - Karma is a bitch.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-08-22 12:25:27

I was thinking, maybe to reduce the amount of duplicate threads, you could make it so whenever somebody is about to submit a thread, it does a quick search for threads with similar titles within the past week or so, and if there is it brings up a small list of related threads and asks if they are still sure they would like to post their topic. This could be useful for places like the audio forum where new people constantly ask the same questions without looking first.

It's just a thought though. I'm guessing that would be a lot more difficult to implement than it sounds (I know nothing about programming).