00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3

73,729 Views | 433 Replies

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-12-24 16:58:16

Hi :)
I think that this hasn't been suggested in the past, and if it has then I probably overlooked it and I'm sorry.

I thought that it would be a good idea to have a section in the store where people can comment about the products they bought. The best place for this would be below the pictures of every item. So, for example, there would be an "insert comment" button (or just a text field) below the calendar pictures on this page. Maybe even add a rating system (like reviews).

The basic reasoning this is that if I were to buy a product, I would want to know what other people (who already bought it) think about it. I think that most people (especially those undecided people who don't know what to buy) would appreciate it.

The main problem would be that it may be abused, but that's why I said that it's for people who already bought the items (so not every stupid person can make stupid comments).

And finally: lame HTML edit + Photoshop = Example!
I also added the "share" button (it would also be good for NG if users could Digg items in the store and stuff). And please look at it, because I spent a ridiculously long amount of time making it, despite how easy it is to make, lol

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-12-25 14:41:29

The Flash Portal Search Bar

I know it gives you the choice to search for a "Title" or the "Author" but what about adding the option to filter your results to Movies only (or Games)

Plus Ratings ascending/descending?

Possible?

o.0

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-12-26 22:19:36

Hey, I have an idea :)

Notice how there is an empty space in the bottom left of the art portal, below the ad? (See pic for reference). I think that it would be great to include a "tab" which shows the top five art submissions from the previous day.

Why? Well, I think that it would be promoting some of the best art on the website, which is good for both NG and the artists, who would get more recognition, which means that more people will probably go to his/her profile and check all the other submissions. So basically, people can easily see the best stuff from the last day, the best artists get more exposure (and visits to their profile and art, which also means more revenue for them). Everybody wins!

And by the way, I do know that there's already a way to look for "yesterday" submissions sorted by "score", even if they are ordered according to their current score and not the one they had yesterday.

As I said, here's a pic showing the ad and the empty space (marked as "here"). And if you think this is a good idea, I think you should considering putting the "awards" tab above the advertisement.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-12-28 08:22:58

Hi James. :)

This is not really suggestion but more of a tweak. I use Google search to search around the BBS and I noticed that they are also caching the quotation of a user (pic below). I was wondering if you could tweak the robot.txt so that it won't do that.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-12-28 13:21:56

A Physics section under the GAMES tab.

Games that rely on physics as a primary component of play.

Games like Blosics, Dynamite Blast, and Crush The Castle are easily recognizable as physics based games.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-12-30 20:13:23

Audio Portal Improvment Idea

Invisible Rating

I'm sure that someone else has already said this at some point, but the idea came to me on its own so what the heck here it goes...

My idea was in order to make voting more more fair and unbiased, the score of what ever is being voted on, not be displayed to the voter until voted on.

Let me explain, when someone comes along and sees a submission and says "Hmm, this looks interesting, I'll click on it..." Then when they get to the submission, in order to see the score of the submission they must then vote on it themselves. Thus they cannot just look at the score and say "the score is to high, lets move it down so this other one over here is above it."

Ways it could be setup:

1.) Display after only the first time the submission is voted on, continue display from there.
2.) Display after every time the submission is voted on, then close up after time change (when the site recycle every night). <-- Best Method
3.) Display after voted on daily, close off after the member leaves the page.

Obvious Pro's:

People can only give scores based on their perceptions of the entry, and not someone else's.
Zero bombing less present, because they must then listen to the submission in order to be able judge it in anyway, even if they don't want to it fairly.
This idea could be expanded to the and other portals on the site (Flash Portal, Art Portal, Ect.)

Obvious Con's:

A hassle for the servers. The cache of everyone going in and out of the site would be that much bigger.
Ratings would have to be removed from display in the genre sections.
Ratings would have to be removed from display from unregister users or not logged in users.
Ratings would have to be removed from display in other places like accounts and such.

Now you can discus if this is a good idea or not and tell me all the ways that it wouldn't work. ^_^

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.

Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2009-12-30 20:32:27

It would look maybe something like this...

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.

Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-01-03 10:39:04

Merge PM and news post block lists together

I feel there should be a block list on the site which would disallow anyone on the list from sending you any messages or comments. I've noticed many times whenever someone sends unwanted messages to anyone and are blocked from sending PMs or commenting on their news posts, they often persist afterwards by contacting them via whichever out of PM or news post comments they're not blocked from yet. If you blocked them for being a dick on one part of the site, do you really want them to stay on another? Sure, you can just easily block the offender on both parts right away but why do we even have two individual block lists? Wouldn't it be more convenient if it we had one block list covering these issues rather than two?

NOTE: I didn't mention portal buddy block list to go with the other two as if you do that to someone who made a flash where you made a decent contribution to, you wouldn't be listed on that flash anymore.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-01-05 12:56:02

Just a little random idea:

You know that 'Gang' picture on the flash portal page? Why not make the characters in it clickable? I think having them all link to their relevant collections / series would make for an easier way of introducing the site to newer users.

For example, clicking Bitey would take you to the Brackenwood page, clicking StrawberryClock would take you to the Clock Crew page, and so on.

I don't see how this would be hard to do or anything, and currently the picture is just decoration anyway.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-01-08 01:27:47

Ability for Thread Creators
Make it so that a Thread Creator can place a tick in a little box on peoples posts to say that they have viewed it or checked it.

This could be useful for Art & Flash Collabs or other threads where people submit work or ideas (like this one) so that someone can tell if their suggestion/submission has been checked.

Not all threads really need this so maybe if Mods could enable and disable this. Also it could also be used as a sign that the thread is allowed. So if the Thread Creator meets the requirements to start a collab in the forum a Mod will come along and enable them to use this feature, the Op will then know that they're allowed to go on with the collab and they can use this feature to help out.

don't be late | Collab101 | Australian Users List | Nayhan's actionScript examples > click

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-01-09 09:57:06

Search bar could be a good idea for the pm inbox, in the case someone would like to find some good old messages.

If you would like to MAKE MONEY from your Flash, be sure to check out these options:

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-01-16 19:17:36

The ability to Forward PMs to email accounts would be excellent so users will know when they have a message without visiting their account.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-01-17 11:51:03

Hey I've got one for audio.
Audio Forum.
As a newgrounds user I enjoy being able to sit back and chill listening to music while doing something else. I like how the front Audio page has a top 5 audio tracks but this can be taken further.

How about an NG Automated Radio Channel (NG ARC) per genre? When you are in a genre you can select PLAY ALL. This then plays the top scoring one automatically scrolling down one by one. Playing the next after the next.

:D

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-01-19 02:00:37

Ng automative radio channel

the idea is really good
connectivity with mobile :- well if we have a connectivity with mobile then we can message any time anywhere.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-01-21 22:41:24

Fix Audio Submission Editing
When someone's audio is featured in a Flash submission they can no longer edit it!! You should make it so if there is no icon that one can still be added.
The Author comment should always be editable even if it is featured in a flash movie.
Once an icon has been added it can not be changed, please change this!

don't be late | Collab101 | Australian Users List | Nayhan's actionScript examples > click

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-01-29 15:01:56

I noticed some smaller forums had this kind of feature, so I was wondering if we could have it (if it hasn't been suggested already):

A built-in tool that shows if you've posted in a topic or not. It may have been bumped, it may have be recreated for some reason, but how am I supposed to know if it was off the front pages for a while? What if I make the mistake of posting two different things in the same thread?

So yeah, something that lets me know if I posted in a thread before.

Top medal point users (updated Sundays) | Wi/Ht member #43

Steam ID

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-01-30 20:20:09

I'm suggesting a page where you can edit (delete) certain badges. For example, I got some fairly lame badges on the Cave Of Wonders game that I would like to get rid of... It would be really nice do so.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-02-01 19:50:10

I think we need a "Delete Userpage Banner" in our accounts.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-02-05 16:37:26

I thought that this would be fixed after some time, but maybe it was just overlooked :/

I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one who finds the "forum jump" feature confusing (as usual, a useless picture is attached at the end of this post). This is because currently the forums are listed in a different order than in the main BBS page, while it should be in this way instead:

- All Access -
General
Where is / How to?
Clubs & Crews
Video Games
Politics
- Artist & Creator Forums -
Animation
Art
Audio
Writing
Collaboration
- Developer & Programmer Forums -
Flash
Programming
- Site News Forums -
NG News
P-bot's Postings
Network News

I would really appreciate it if you could please change it :)

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-02-08 18:02:38

what about a newgrounds playlist creator- when someone adds a song to their favourites, then they can choose to play the whole lot, back to back in one window/tab.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-02-10 21:32:26

I would LOVE to see a system that not only lists ALL games within a desired genre/sub-genre (for example, Adventure - Point and Click) but allows the user to sort by Rating, Views, Review Rating, Date Created, etc.

I can't think of a good website that doesn't do this with their content, and I bet you guys have a bunch of gems hidden in that big mountain of flash submissions that could be unearthed with the setup mentioned above.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-02-11 14:03:09

At 2/11/10 01:48 PM, ProMotionProductions wrote: Secondly, a more user friendly UI when watching movies. Im talking about a time bar and pause button, for one.

It's not that simple. The sites that you're referring to that do this are based on videos - the controller is a flash file, but it's essentially a video that's being imported into the player. Videos are based on a set timeline, whatever that might be - like 25 frames a second or whatever. That means you can accurately stop as the movie is playing, at say frame #7575, and then resume, skip to other points, etc.

The animations on NG are SWF files - and whilst the timeline in flash is similar to video timelines, it's not the same. For example, a ten minute movie might contain 2 frames on the main timeline. The first might be the preloader, the second might contain a movie clip with its own timeline. So essentially, two frames.

Added to which, there are games on NG and play/pause/skip etc there just would not work.

The best you can hope for is that the people releasing the animations put their own controls into the animation. Some people do that already.

Since this thread is about ideas, rather than discussion, I'll leave it at that. If you need to thrash out ideas, here's the place to do it: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/9766 62

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-02-13 11:11:25

Now, I really hope that this wasn't mentioned, but the Audio Portal needs a "stay-on-top" player.

When I'm looking for music, my problem is that you have to keep moving to a new page to listen to music. You have to listen to it one by one. The idea is to have a player that is always visible on the page, like the top frame on NG. (see crudely drawn mockup) You browse music below it, and playlist-like features that allow you to play music you're searching for one after another.

When you click on a link, the music and author's info are loaded into the player and the frame next to it. Skip and go back buttons are included in the player. The author's descriptions and comments are in a "menu" you get when you click on the viz area. In the menu, you could also read reviews and change player settings.

And just for accessibility, you can have the option of viewing it in a new page, anyway, like the pop-up button for Flash submissions.

Unrelated note, album art for the AP?

PROS
.Browsing is much easier.
.Much more flexible and useable online.
.More integrated.
.Might save bandwidth. Rather than loading a new page each time, only the music and info are included.

CONS
.Usability is limited. Reading reviews will be cramped into a small space, and writing reviews might be a problem.
.It will be a dick to get this programmed well. With this idea, pressing the back button on your browser will probably not go back to the previous page, but to the previous few pages. That's because of AJAX.
.The front page of the AP will need to be revamped, probably. Either including a player in the place of A-Bot, or make A-Bot play all the music on the front page. That makes even bigger usability problems.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-02-26 09:11:26

How about a link when viewing your medals to take you to a list of medal games you don't have any medals in? Right now there are 5 or 6 games I don't have any medals in, and it would be awfully convenient to have a site-controlled list of them to refer to when I want to go get them, rather than having to remember which ones they are manually.

Deploy the... it's a yellow button... it's usually flashing... it makes the engines go... whoosh!

Back my puzzle/adventure story mashup

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-02-27 15:18:15

Just some little thing I'm requesting...

Is there any downside to increasing the character limit to reviews? I mean, I had to use 2 accounts to get past the character limit since my reviews don't fit using only one account (that is, until I found out it was against the rules...) so would it be too much to ask for to increase the character limit by at least 2,500 characters?

I'm not being sarastic...

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-03-09 17:36:25

Copied from my thread:

It would be nice if the "medals" page showed the number of medals and points in each game or movie, and how many of those have been obtained. Suppose that I finished Pico's School (7 medals/260 points) and did everything else except get the "Overkill" and "Marc Summers" medals. The section for Pico's School would show something like "Medals: 5/7 Points: 210/260" on the top-right corner.

I'll admit that I stole this idea from FunOrb, but I think it would be a very useful feature here.

Find me on Facebook!

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-03-13 18:20:10

I think that a medical section in the forums would be a great idea since everone has to go through som kind of illness and this section would actually benifit other users because they can ask for advice on something like heatstroke

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-03-13 19:11:45

Hello everybody .

What do you think about a new tab in audio portal : download

see:
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/2703/

tabdownload.jpg

Is this a good idea ?

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-03-14 10:55:38

At 3/13/10 07:11 PM, jak89 wrote: Hello everybody .

What do you think about a new tab in audio portal : download

see:
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/2703/

tabdownload.jpg

Is this a good idea ?

oups sorry for the link http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/2703/
tabdownload.jpg

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-03-16 11:06:42

Are we going to get stats for art portal reviews on our userpage?

Deploy the... it's a yellow button... it's usually flashing... it makes the engines go... whoosh!

Back my puzzle/adventure story mashup