00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Lmaoghosthh just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Great idea

42,774 Views | 1,083 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Great idea 2003-11-06 09:40:50

EmeraldTokyo came up with the idea of a flash tutorial for n00bs.
She's my Idol.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-06 10:20:31

whoa, thats not traced bitmap, it looks like that, but thats my style, why do you think it took a hour and 30 mins for me to make. it was all done by ....er mouse. yea, thats my style.

I can work one some things now. I have a whole free day (8 hours now, and then anoghter 6 hours later in the night, its only 7:20am here right now, and no school)

Response to Great idea 2003-11-06 10:21:38

It was done by mouse, you can evern ask my freind, he was watching the development of it.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-06 10:30:02

At 11/6/03 08:47 AM, thewasteofwebspace wrote: by the way, u hafta let me make the trailer movie for the RPG :D

Yea man, thats a good idea, it will show people that this game will be going somwhere, and not just a bunch of "dreams and ideas".
I say you make the trailer movie, like for it, it should explain the story of what is happening and shit. That would be rad.

Im going to make some random grafhics for the game, such as health kits, and other stufff, post what you want me to make and ill do it.

This game is going to kick major ass.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-06 10:32:55

At 11/6/03 03:11 AM, thewasteofwebspace wrote: Newgrounds RPG :: Teh Story!!1 (haha...)

Heh

I was just reading through this topic and, not to bust a Sekky, but I just thought that it was kind of amusing where your commas were placed

I was reading it and it was like: the...dog...ate...my homework

No offense, it just made me laugh when I was reading it

Response to Great idea 2003-11-06 11:49:54

Here is a pic of some bulets we could buy.

Great idea

Response to Great idea 2003-11-06 11:50:56

At 11/6/03 11:49 AM, mexxa wrote: Here is a pic of some bulets we could buy.

I mean the gamer

Response to Great idea 2003-11-06 11:54:56

At 11/6/03 11:49 AM, mexxa wrote: Here is a pic of some bulets we could buy.

....my freind made some bullets like that. same brand, color, size, box. Did you make those?

Response to Great idea 2003-11-06 12:04:32

At 11/6/03 11:54 AM, MrRombie wrote: ....my freind made some bullets like that. same brand, color, size, box. Did you make those?

no redVIIVIIVII gave them to me in a flash file with a load of guns, i forgot to give him his credit but i have now.

I have quite a lot of guns where you can swap bits, all given to me by redVIIVIIVII.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-06 12:47:30

Yea i thought so, he gave me the same .fla, lol

Response to Great idea 2003-11-06 16:11:45

At 11/6/03 03:11 AM, thewasteofwebspace wrote: Well im gonna put down my idea for the story. and once again ... dont just run with it ... I want to hear everyone elses opinions and ideas. Thanks. Ill keep it brief.

---
Newgrounds RPG :: Teh Story!!1 (haha...)

*story* (too long to just quote)

---

Thewasteofwebspace, even though you said that there were flaws in your story, I didn't see many (excluding a few spelling errors and not including who is actually in charge of the darkness and dark minions.) We have to think up a person who could be in charge of all this evil. I originally thought Strawberry Clock, but does anyone think that someone else could play a better role than him? Once the story is finalized, everything can begin. Since I'm working on the beginning cutscene, the story is a crucial part of it.

After the story is done, what I think we should work on are the levels (outside of battle). Using thewasteofwebspace's map, we can come up with a few ideas for the layouts of these levels. The size of this movie (length and width) are going to be 600x300 so the levels have to be pretty big. Also, I think it's clear that we're doing this RPG from a 45 degree angle (Link to the past, Pokemon, Some snes Final Fantasies, etc.)

I think that every town should or location should be divided into seperate 'rooms'(by rooms I mean more individual sections, not interior rooms). The first room (the one you arrive in) should be a rest area. This rest area can contain certain shops and etc. Out from there will branch put other rooms, that go deeper into the town or location. Some rooms can be interconnected or whatever..we'll see what works out. Anyways, each room should contain a certain amount of bad guys. I know this next part is going to be hard but hopefully the programmers can make it so that you need to defeat the bad guys in that room to unlock the next. At the final room of every town there should be the boss. I don't know if the boss should be just a mega-strong minion holding the ruler of that town hostage, or the ruler of that town that has been possessed or something..so you guys need to help decide...I'm going to start the cut-scene right now, along with the Tom Fulp drawing and shop. What you guys can start on if you're willing to start is building the layout for 'The Portal' on the map.

Oh, and by the way, to MrRombie: I'm sorry saying that it was trace-bitmapped man. I feel so bad...it looked extremely good though and I love your technique so hopefully you can forgive me for making that false assumption. Thewasteofwebspace, you can start on a trailer if you want, but I think we have to accomplish a little more than we have already in order to start one...That's all for now I guess...I'll update when I'm finished something, or if something comes up! Feel free to post if you want to say something!

Response to Great idea 2003-11-06 16:35:42

Yeah i can forgive this
one time, lol ;)

Response to Great idea 2003-11-06 17:00:25

At 11/6/03 10:20 AM, MrRombie wrote: whoa, thats not traced bitmap, it looks like that, but thats my style, why do you think it took a hour and 30 mins for me to make. it was all done by ....er mouse. yea, thats my style.

MAn thats traced Bitmap. hell yea

Response to Great idea 2003-11-06 17:03:58

I can be a voice actor if you all would like. I'm only 13, but I have a pretty deep voice. Anything just to be known for voices in SOMETHING. lol

Response to Great idea 2003-11-06 19:11:56

I'd be willing to ask the artist's permission to use their characters. But I don't know what you people want me to draw. Or what style to draw them in. Just give me a little direction and I'll do it. I think that the great evil who tries to take over Newgrounds should be that Marty person...
http://www.newgrounds.com/lit/marty.html
But that's just me.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-06 19:59:36

Thewasteofwebspace, even though you said that there were flaws in your story, I didn't see many (excluding a few spelling errors and not including who is actually in charge of the darkness and dark minions.) We have to think up a person who could be in charge of all this evil. I originally thought Strawberry Clock, but does anyone think that someone else could play a better role than him?

I deleberatly left a blank in the story as who the great evil is... I consider it more scary if the player doesnt know at the start. He might hear a few rumours as to who it is from people in the bar and such.

Once the story is finalized, everything can begin. Since I'm working on the beginning cutscene, the story is a crucial part of it.
After the story is done, what I think we should work on are the levels (outside of battle). Using thewasteofwebspace's map, we can come up with a few ideas for the layouts of these levels. The size of this movie (length and width) are going to be 600x300 so the levels have to be pretty big. Also, I think it's clear that we're doing this RPG from a 45 degree angle (Link to the past, Pokemon, Some snes Final Fantasies, etc.)

I think that every town should or location should be divided into seperate 'rooms'(by rooms I mean more individual sections, not interior rooms). The first room (the one you arrive in) should be a rest area. This rest area can contain certain shops and etc. Out from there will branch put other rooms, that go deeper into the town or location. Some rooms can be interconnected or whatever..we'll see what works out.

The view is the pokemon (for the game-boy) game right? (sorry thats the only one I can relate to). Will the buildings you enter be on seperate scenes?, or will the roof just cut off when you walk in. Because I think the seperate scenes would work better, so we can add complexity to the buildings...

Anyways, each room should contain a certain amount of bad guys. I know this next part is going to be hard but hopefully the programmers can make it so that you need to defeat the bad guys in that room to unlock the next. At the final room of every town there should be the boss.

The way I imagined. (and dont make this into some decision, this is just my perspective as usual...) but I thought all the towns around the Newgrounds are just generally freindly places where you can shop and such, and sign up for sub-quests. Except you can walk around and stumble upon fights with thieves and bandits of the town, depending on how hostile the town is, (ie: madness and stick-town would be violent, because all their cartoons on newgrounds involve violence, whereas the legomen are not as agressive and more eager to help).

The badlands would be the main place to pick fights and kill people for exp/money/items, because all the blammed, unhappy, angry cartoons are there. The deeper you walk into the town the more agressive it is. And finally the gate will have really hard beasts to defeat to ensure anyone who enters darktween is ready to fight whatever is thrown at him, which rest assured, will be alot.

I don't know if the boss should be just a mega-strong minion holding the ruler of that town hostage, or the ruler of that town that has been possessed or something..so you guys need to help decide...

I think it would be a good idea to have him not in direct control of the town, but just bein a downright asshole, and having his minions trash buildings in town and such.

I'm going to start the cut-scene right now, along with the Tom Fulp drawing and shop. What you guys can start on if you're willing to start is building the layout for 'The Portal' on the map.

I cant wait to see it :D

Oh, and by the way, to MrRombie: I'm sorry saying that it was trace-bitmapped man. I feel so bad...it looked extremely good though and I love your technique so hopefully you can forgive me for making that false assumption.

Me too dude, as soon as i seen it im like "yup, definatly traced bitmap", but if you really are the one behind it being drawn, then that is a very well made image. You should be proud people confuse it with such a time consuming technique such as trace bitmap.

Thewasteofwebspace, you can start on a trailer if you want, but I think we have to accomplish a little more than we have already in order to start one

I kno. Are we confirmed with my story? is there any holes that need to be filled? But yes, we also need permissions before I can design a trailer. Ive got some good ideas for it. Any takers for permission askers? or shall I do it meself?

...That's all for now I guess...I'll update when I'm finished something, or if something comes up! Feel free to post if you want to say something!

Thanks for keeping us posted again Ruthless...
The Waste

Response to Great idea 2003-11-06 20:01:32

At 11/6/03 05:03 PM, SeiyruRenaih wrote: I can be a voice actor if you all would like. I'm only 13, but I have a pretty deep voice. Anything just to be known for voices in SOMETHING. lol

Thanks Seiryu. Ill mark you up onto our list next chance I get.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-06 20:10:29

At 11/6/03 07:11 PM, SlackerSoHa wrote: I'd be willing to ask the artist's permission to use their characters. But I don't know what you people want me to draw. Or what style to draw them in. Just give me a little direction and I'll do it. I think that the great evil who tries to take over Newgrounds should be that Marty person...
http://www.newgrounds.com/lit/marty.html
But that's just me.

Hmm, that was a pretty evil prank he played eh? But i think Strawberry Clock had a more powerful effect on Newgrounds -- he actually spawned groups of wanna-be's that followed his example. Pretty spiffy. But if possible, someone more evil. Im thinking like THE ultimate evil of newgrounds. But maybe thats the closest we get... its good tho, thanks.

Thanks for volunteering for the drawing and permissions by the way. If you want to begin, you can mail the owner (or powerful influence) of the clock crew for permission to the crews animations.

Assure them that the cartoons will not be an attempt to make the crew look bad, and that they should be happy their cartoon was considered to be a part of our RPG, and that it will only improve their reputation if they accept. You undertand what you need to ask for? if not just post and tell me.

I would sugest asking the moderator of their website -- i dont know his username, but you can find it by search for clock crew in the search bar and looking up the bio of clock crew. It will tell you who owns the site there. Unless of course you can think of someone better.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-06 20:13:14

One more thing. I have my school holidays in a few weeks -- that means 8 weeks off school! no more annoying school hoorah! But I will be willing to design a basic prototype for the (not in battle) walking around system. It will be identical (once again) to that of pokemon. Moving in blocks of 30x30 pixels, and having walls that take up entire blocks of the squares. Ill show you what i mean later. right now i hafta go to school.
See you all later.
The Waste

Response to Great idea 2003-11-06 21:40:40

At 11/6/03 08:13 PM, thewasteofwebspace wrote: One more thing. I have my school holidays in a few weeks -- that means 8 weeks off school! no more annoying school hoorah! But I will be willing to design a basic prototype for the (not in battle) walking around system. It will be identical (once again) to that of pokemon. Moving in blocks of 30x30 pixels, and having walls that take up entire blocks of the squares. Ill show you what i mean later. right now i hafta go to school.
See you all later.
The Waste

Heh heh, that's sweet. Man, I still have to sort a feew things around in my mind...anyways, I've finished a simple drawing of Tom Fulp. It's not incredible, but I've yet to improve on it. It won't let me post it on NG because of the file size, so I had to upload it to my site. Ii don't know why it's in .swf...however, the quality is better...

Here it is:
http://www.freewebs.com/vghaven/tomfulpcutscene1.swf

On the right is also a pic of what his head looks like without a crown. I traced a bit of his pic (with my hand) to get it accurate, but I'm not sure if it even looks good. Anyways, that's what I've got done for now. Just gotta finish out the shop layout and I'll start the cut scene =) Tell me what you guys think.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-06 21:47:47

Dammit...for some reason the link I posted keeps re-directing me back to this page. If this is happening to you, just open a new page and paste the link into your browser. Ssorry about that people.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-06 22:14:51

Hey this sounds so awsome. Is it to late to ask if I can help?

I cant actionscript for my life but Im pretty good at drawing. I can draw NG ppl, other ppl, robots, backgrounds, weapons, houses, etc.

You can see some of my art in all these threads
last few pages of:"Ill draw you in anime style"
last page of "Samus dressup game"
all over "Graphics competition"

thanks

heres my unfinished badass toad

Great idea

Response to Great idea 2003-11-06 22:28:03

I also drew a picture of Tom Fulp that we might be able to use...

Great idea

Response to Great idea 2003-11-06 23:31:39

Here it is:
http://www.freewebs.com/vghaven/tomfulpcutscene1.swf

On the right is also a pic of what his head looks like without a crown. I traced a bit of his pic (with my hand) to get it accurate, but I'm not sure if it even looks good. Anyways, that's what I've got done for now. Just gotta finish out the shop layout and I'll start the cut scene =) Tell me what you guys think.

whoa dude, thats freakin' crazy! the bodys a little squarish but thats easily fixed. me likey!

Response to Great idea 2003-11-06 23:33:44

At 11/6/03 10:14 PM, Ragingflame99 wrote: Hey this sounds so awsome. Is it to late to ask if I can help?

Not at all. welcome to the art department. we'll have requests of what to draw when we have properly finalized ideas. until then, your more than welcome to contribute ideas and artworks.

I cant actionscript for my life but Im pretty good at drawing. I can draw NG ppl, other ppl, robots, backgrounds, weapons, houses, etc.

You can see some of my art in all these threads
last few pages of:"Ill draw you in anime style"
last page of "Samus dressup game"
all over "Graphics competition"

thanks

heres my unfinished badass toad

Hahaha thats a nice toad! If we make a Marioland town we just GOTTA use that as one of the smugglers who sells you illegal stuff (ie: mushrooms) hahaha!

Response to Great idea 2003-11-06 23:34:57

At 11/6/03 10:28 PM, SlackerSoHa wrote: I also drew a picture of Tom Fulp that we might be able to use...

Shit. thats a really good pic of Tom. I dunno which one we can use now :S

Response to Great idea 2003-11-06 23:53:47

At 11/6/03 11:33 PM, thewasteofwebspace wrote: Not at all. welcome to the art department. we'll have requests of what to draw when we have properly finalized ideas. until then, your more than welcome to contribute ideas and artworks.
Hahaha thats a nice toad! If we make a Marioland town we just GOTTA use that as one of the smugglers who sells you illegal stuff (ie: mushrooms) hahaha!

Cool thanks alot. I dunno if anyone said this but I think that we should use the weapons that are in the level icons (I can draw them) put i dont think the carachter should be a NG person. He should be a normal person that you can customize (clothes accesories, hair, etc.)

I also think that A-pot and P-bot should be your merchants. And Mario will help you develope new skills, my toad will be a smuggler, pico should be the synth shop (upgrades, customizations) for your weapons.

PIck and choose the IDeas you like. ANything you need me to draw right now? I could design enemies or backgrouds! please im bored...

Great idea

Response to Great idea 2003-11-07 00:18:28

At 11/6/03 05:00 PM, FinalSketch wrote:
At 11/6/03 10:20 AM, MrRombie wrote: whoa, thats not traced bitmap, it looks like that, but thats my style, why do you think it took a hour and 30 mins for me to make. it was all done by ....er mouse. yea, thats my style.
MAn thats traced Bitmap. hell yea

what the fuck? it wasnt? just because im a good artist, and my artwork is close to looking like traced bitmap, does not mean i used trace bitmap. if you want me to prove it, give me somthing to draw, and ill draw it that style, and choose the colors you want it.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-07 00:40:32

ng-jam's coming out soon :)

Bringing the violence back to NG, one flash at a time..

Response to Great idea 2003-11-07 00:49:42

Cool thanks alot. I dunno if anyone said this but I think that we should use the weapons that are in the level icons (I can draw them) put i dont think the carachter should be a NG person. He should be a normal person that you can customize (clothes accesories, hair, etc.)

I think it would be better to use customizable NG charicters... but I suppose if you win as one of those charicters it doesnt really feel like you were the one to win the game as yourself. So theres some good and bad points, but you do make a valid point. Its really ruthlesses call.

I also think that A-pot and P-bot should be your merchants. And Mario will help you develope new skills, my toad will be a smuggler, pico should be the synth shop (upgrades, customizations) for your weapons.

Well I was sorta hoping there would be more than 3 shops... :P

A-bot should sell you CD's to use as battle music for your game, and P-bot should guard the portal. :P I like toad as the smuggler. Can you please submit a URL of a editable vector file (not a macro freehand file please) so we can store it and keep it in the game for later use.

speaking of which, does anyone have a server we could use to store files? it would not require much traffic (around 20MB a day, tops!), and only 100MB (at an absolute maximum) of filespace

The way I thought of it, every town will provide different shops, weapons, and items you can use, depending on the area. But in the deeper areas of the towns, like backstreets, there will be fights and such. And how will the skill system work? Do you just earn skills like spells? or do you work on abilitys and level them up... because that would be hard... same with modified weapons (if your thinking of like, things to add weapon damage, improve accuracy, etc...)

PIck and choose the IDeas you like. ANything you need me to draw right now? I could design enemies or backgrouds! please im bored...

Thank you for posting ideas. we need more... we cant just run with whatever I say -- we need variety to choose from and people to judge others ideas like I just did. If you do judge an idea, try not to bias it with your own concepts, rather, point out flaws and difficulties in it, along with positive points to back it up.

the waste