00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RYKEO just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread

10,470 Views | 117 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread 2008-05-12 18:40:44

Not getting a lot of (if any) comments at deviantART, so I figured I post my stuff here.

*Visual styles may vary*

Here's something I did recently. A goth girl with different variations: normal, short/big-headed, and tall/skinny.

*THIS ACCOUNT HAS MOVED*

Response to Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread 2008-05-12 18:44:59

Makes me wish I had a shorter username. The thread title got messed up.

A bunch of doodled cartoon heads.

*THIS ACCOUNT HAS MOVED*

Response to Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread 2008-05-12 19:04:01

One of my attempts at Akira Toriyama's style, or as you guys would call it, "DBZ style."

*THIS ACCOUNT HAS MOVED*

Response to Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread 2008-05-12 19:05:31

At 5/12/08 07:04 PM, AlexanderTheInsane wrote: One of my attempts at Akira Toriyama's style, or as you guys would call it, "DBZ style."

Forgot picture.

*THIS ACCOUNT HAS MOVED*

Response to Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread 2008-05-12 19:10:30

At 5/12/08 07:05 PM, AlexanderTheInsane wrote:
At 5/12/08 07:04 PM, AlexanderTheInsane wrote: One of my attempts at Akira Toriyama's style, or as you guys would call it, "DBZ style."
Forgot picture.

1. the other pics are not very good.

2. the forehead and neck are way too tall, fix your proportions

there is love burning to find you, will you wait for me?

BBS Signature

Response to Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread 2008-05-12 19:35:02

At 5/12/08 07:10 PM, crazyperson3 wrote: 1. the other pics are not very good.
The second pic, I can agree because I was rushing to finish it as part of an assigment for a cartoon art class.
2. the forehead and neck are way too tall, fix your proportions

After I was done with it, I thought the same thing. Plus I thought her hairline looks too tall as well as her ear being a little small.

A full-figure drawing of the same character.

*THIS ACCOUNT HAS MOVED*

Response to Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread 2008-05-12 19:40:41

this one is very misshapen. find an anatomy book or something to help you.

BBS Signature

Response to Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread 2008-05-12 21:16:15

At 5/12/08 07:40 PM, crazyperson3 wrote: this one is very misshapen. find an anatomy book or something to help you.

What exactly is "very misshapen" about it? I mean it's good to recieve criticism, but the way you gave it was pretty simplistic. Not much to learn from.

*THIS ACCOUNT HAS MOVED*

Response to Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread 2008-05-12 22:03:45

At 5/12/08 09:16 PM, AlexanderTheInsane wrote:
At 5/12/08 07:40 PM, crazyperson3 wrote: this one is very misshapen. find an anatomy book or something to help you.
What exactly is "very misshapen" about it? I mean it's good to recieve criticism, but the way you gave it was pretty simplistic. Not much to learn from.

i meant in general the body shape is really bad, and there's no symmetry to it.

BBS Signature

Response to Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread 2008-05-13 01:17:08

At 5/12/08 09:16 PM, AlexanderTheInsane wrote:

Also, I have been reading anatomy books as well as tutorial websites for several months now. Before that, most of my drawings were nothing but a bunch of generic anime faces with disproportional bodies and chins so sharp they poke a hole in their necks every time they look down. Here's the same character from the first pic drawn three years ago and a drawing of Midian I did in July 2007. Barely any difference at all.

*THIS ACCOUNT HAS MOVED*

Response to Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread 2008-05-13 02:28:16

The tall/skinny variation, colored in.
Larger version

*THIS ACCOUNT HAS MOVED*

Response to Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread 2008-05-13 17:17:10

At 5/13/08 02:28 AM, AlexanderTheInsane wrote: The tall/skinny variation, colored in.
Larger version

i don't like the hair on this one (it's way too tall), you need to shade your artwork, and put more effort into your backgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread 2008-05-13 18:05:52

keep practicing:D maybe you can find some tuts on google on how to draw manga...cuz i think that style will be right for you

BBS Signature

Response to Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread 2008-05-13 19:26:32

At 5/13/08 05:17 PM, crazyperson3 wrote: i don't like the hair on this one (it's way too tall)

The hair is supposed to look stretched. It's an exaggeration.

you need to shade your artwork, and put more effort into your backgrounds.

I was never good at drawing backgrounds.

At 5/13/08 06:05 PM, Hellpuppet wrote: keep practicing:D maybe you can find some tuts on google on how to draw manga...cuz i think that style will be right for you

I'm trying to distance myself from that style.

Here's a front view drawing of the normal variation I did a few hours ago.
Larger version

*THIS ACCOUNT HAS MOVED*

Response to Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread 2008-05-13 20:20:00

if you're not good at backgrounds, then practice, you'll get better. they don't always have to be intricate or anything, simple is good.

as for distancing yourself from manga, if that's what you're going for you're going to have to try a lot harder. the head is very manga-inspired.

also, you should get rid of the indent in the head, that's really bugging me...

BBS Signature

Response to Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread 2008-05-13 21:58:21

At 5/13/08 08:20 PM, crazyperson3 wrote: if you're not good at backgrounds, then practice, you'll get better. they don't always have to be intricate or anything, simple is good.

as for distancing yourself from manga, if that's what you're going for you're going to have to try a lot harder. the head is very manga-inspired.
also, you should get rid of the indent in the head, that's really bugging me...

"A lot" harder? You sure you're not being exaggerative in your comments?

Hellpuppet, I checked out your art thread and you have some nice work, but what's with the sarcasm? Do that to the more deserving users who draw like this.

Anyway, I worked on the chin and nose, plus the mouth.
Larger version

*THIS ACCOUNT HAS MOVED*

Response to Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread 2008-05-13 22:03:04

"A lot" harder? You sure you're not being exaggerative in your comments?

Hellpuppet, I checked out your art thread and you have some nice work, but what's with the sarcasm? Do that to the more deserving users who draw like this.

Anyway, I worked on the chin and nose, plus the mouth.
Larger version

really good i can help u :D but only if u can help me?
the anatomy i dont really get u seem to understand it a bit..and my tutor moosh is making me a tut and i dont know when hes gonna be finished?
i can actually help u with hair... and face
the face should not look like a V but curved out like a U and the bangs need some work..
im no artist though =/
i need some help on anatomy

Support Help a Noob day By Putting ur sig as

BBS Signature

Response to Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread 2008-05-13 23:11:10

In the first pic you posted i found the little one pretty funny =)
To cheer you up a little bit, i'll say that drawing doesn't need to be precisely proportional, i mean, at first of course.
It's true that you probably need to study a little bit of anatomy, but don't worry, practicing a little bit every day will help you a lot, and in no time, you'll be super great ;)

See ya!

BBS Signature

Response to Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread 2008-05-31 06:16:11

At 5/13/08 11:11 PM, PSNick wrote: In the first pic you posted i found the little one pretty funny =)

Thanks.

To cheer you up a little bit, i'll say that drawing doesn't need to be precisely proportional, i mean, at first of course.
It's true that you probably need to study a little bit of anatomy, but don't worry, practicing a little bit every day will help you a lot, and in no time, you'll be super great ;)

Even I thought some body parts weren't precise. I probably should've mentioned that earlier. Every time I'm done drawing something and I think it looks alright, I decide to look at it in a mirror. And then things start to look distorted...

At 5/13/08 11:37 PM, Cabbster wrote: hey are you using a skeleton construction before you actually draw the finishing piece because it will really sort out the anatomy pretty easily if you have a basic grasp of human proportions. using pretty much just basic shapes to construct it should really help your overall piece and etc. i even use shapes to construct my backgrounds :x i don't know its a really useful outline. consider doing it, if you already aren't. I'm just assuming, so sorry if you are.

It wasn't until January of this year that actually I started to take things more seriously and use skeletal constructions to draw my characters, as well as getting into the habit of drawing every day rather than once a fortnight.

*THIS ACCOUNT HAS MOVED*

Response to Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread 2008-06-17 02:01:31

Just for future reference; If you already know this, good for you. :)
- To everyone who gives constructive criticism, I'd like more than just "work on your anatomy/proportions," "this doesn't look good," or "body is uneven." Any user could waltz in an art thread and say what's wrong without telling the artist how their work can be improved.

/

Other than the fact that her clothes need creasing, does anybody have any advice about creasing?

*THIS ACCOUNT HAS MOVED*

Response to Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread 2008-06-17 02:42:53

My best advice is to go ahead and take a photo of somebody that is wearing similar clothing and try to copy it. I do best when I have a subject in front of me to study.

Otherwise, I really like your style, your drawings are consistant and fun to look at!

Who are you?

My art thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread 2008-06-17 09:31:50

Yeah, what the other guy said. I'm trying to learn how to draw them and it's not to hard if you have a reference. The second head is much better than the first one. And with backgrounds, that funny brick thing you did didn't work well with the character because she seemed out of place. You should draw her in a more gloomy atmosphere, not just a brick wall.

Response to Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread 2008-06-17 15:10:13

Some doodles of facial expressions of the goth girl. These were drawn about a week before the recent full figured version, so you're probably going to notice some manga-like features.

*THIS ACCOUNT HAS MOVED*

Response to Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread 2008-06-17 15:20:38

Your brick sizing is hella off

Response to Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread 2008-06-18 17:55:16

Chibified B&W versions of all my female characters (the main characters at least). The three on the top are from a separate story I've been working on.
(I really need to start drawing guys.)

*THIS ACCOUNT HAS MOVED*

Response to Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread 2008-06-26 19:01:59

At 6/18/08 05:55 PM, AlexanderTheInsane wrote: Chibified B&W versions of all my female characters (the main characters at least). The three on the top are from a separate story I've been working on.
(I really need to start drawing guys.)

Cute characters. I like the one on the bottom left. The middle left looks a bit choppy above the waist, but I'm sure you could fix that. Can't wait to see them colored in.

BBS Signature

Response to Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread 2008-06-27 18:30:00

One of the pics that came close was the evil queen from Snow White, but I'm still looking though.

While I was at it, I colored in what didn't need creasing.

*THIS ACCOUNT HAS MOVED*

Response to Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread 2008-06-27 20:07:30

It was going to happen eventually.

*THIS ACCOUNT HAS MOVED*

Response to Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread 2008-07-01 14:30:02

I was tempted to color the rest of her in. Hopefully next time, the creasings will be added.
Larger version

*THIS ACCOUNT HAS MOVED*

Response to Alexandertheinsan e's Art Thread 2008-07-01 17:09:49

At 7/1/08 02:30 PM, AlexanderTheInsane wrote: I was tempted to color the rest of her in. Hopefully next time, the creasings will be added.
Larger version

That aura suits her well. What tools did you use to make it?

|

BBS Signature