00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Vaittus just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Stand Up Comedy Crew

20,949 Views | 293 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-05-19 07:07:42

I kind of wish David Cross would do another special, I'm quite fond of his stand up. He'd probably be my favorite comedian if I had to pick one. Shut Up You Fucking Baby and The Pride is Back were genius.

?

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-05-19 07:20:21

At 5/19/08 07:07 AM, TakeNoPrisoners wrote: I kind of wish David Cross would do another special, I'm quite fond of his stand up. He'd probably be my favorite comedian if I had to pick one. Shut Up You Fucking Baby and The Pride is Back were genius.

David Cross does stand-up?
*Runs to YouTube*

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy

PSN: Look-a-Hill

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-05-19 13:07:29

At 5/19/08 07:07 AM, TakeNoPrisoners wrote: I kind of wish David Cross would do another special, I'm quite fond of his stand up. He'd probably be my favorite comedian if I had to pick one. Shut Up You Fucking Baby and The Pride is Back were genius.

Thank you for making me look into his stand up :).
I just watched The Pride is Back and its brilliant.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-05-19 13:17:16

At 5/19/08 01:07 PM, Nev wrote: Thank you for making me look into his stand up :).
I just watched The Pride is Back and its brilliant.

Yep. Glad you liked it.

?

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-05-20 19:21:57

After reading that discussion, I decided to get the Pride is Back. It was pretty good.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-05-23 09:37:49

I watched Robin Williams Live on Broadway. It was almost funny. He really needs to work on delivery and....uh...not being annoying.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-05-23 12:05:43

At 5/23/08 09:37 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: I watched Robin Williams Live on Broadway. It was almost funny. He really needs to work on delivery and....uh...not being annoying.

Being annoying is what he does.
At the end of the day, the mans a family actor... you're never gonna get something outrageous from him.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-05-24 23:13:37

I'm working on material constantly. My plan is start hitting up Open Mic nights around Sourthern Connectitcut to start trying stuff out. I'll bne sure to post videos if I can.

Twitter|Big Mean Flash Gamer| Art by John Dyer Baizley, sig by Shaun.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-05-25 06:54:51

Well, I finally found out who Bill Bailey is while watching the credits from Black Books, a show i've been watching for years because of Dylan Moran who is hilarious and a great stand up comic. I'm going to Youtube now to watch some Bill Bailey. Nev, please post about how hilarious he is.

Metal Hell.

Pill pop a dope a well run general hash pump a gonna led.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-05-27 18:45:00

At 5/24/08 11:13 PM, Redface wrote: I'm working on material constantly. My plan is start hitting up Open Mic nights around Sourthern Connectitcut to start trying stuff out. I'll bne sure to post videos if I can.

Snazzy. Contribute :), we need members :).

At 5/25/08 06:54 AM, PenisClown wrote: Well, I finally found out who Bill Bailey is while watching the credits from Black Books, a show i've been watching for years because of Dylan Moran who is hilarious and a great stand up comic. I'm going to Youtube now to watch some Bill Bailey. Nev, please post about how hilarious he is.

Bill Bailey is brilliant, both at comedy and at music... and he looks funny.
He's great.
Cosmic Jam is my favourite show. Part Troll (all of which is on YouTube (that, at least, I know) is also amazing, but I over-watched it, so I could be fonder.
Bewilderment wasn't that good for me... it has some great parts, but overall I felt its his weakest.
Tinselworm was similar to Bewilderment for me, but I saw that live and in a big arena, and I believe that was detrimental to me finding it funny.

Also, on the topic of Dylan Moran, I saw a show of his a long time ago, and I didn't find it that funny... I was young.
So I bought Black Books series 1 to check him out again (this was a few months ago). And I think Black Books is shit. All humour is removed by the fucking laughter in the background. It makes me think that it was written to get cheap laughs, and I find that very unamusing.
But I checked out Like, Totally and Monster on YouTube and I found them great... so I like him :).

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-05-31 19:14:43

After reading this, I decided to get "Like Totally" by Dylan Moran. I have not yet watched it.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-06-02 16:42:40

At 5/31/08 07:14 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: After reading this, I decided to get "Like Totally" by Dylan Moran. I have not yet watched it.

Its good.
Very similar to Monster, but not quite as good.
Still, very funny nonetheless :).

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-06-02 17:52:19

I just watched it. I like.

"AND THE CAGE COMES DOWN!"

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-06-05 15:36:35

At 6/4/08 11:09 PM, Dmabster wrote: My favorite stand up comics are Demetri Martin, Brian Regan, Stephen Colbert, Jim Gaffigan, and Jeff Dunham.

Which together make: A large pad,Blank insides, Right wing politics, hot pockets, and pupets (See picture

Shouldn't the right wing politics bit be on the right hand side of the page?
And welcome :).
Talk, converse, discuss :).

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-06-05 17:49:25

my personal favorite comedians are jeff dunham (walter is so funny), triumph the insult comic dog, and Jim Gaffigan. i find myself laughing out loud everytime i see them...

for those who believe, no explanation is necessary, for those who don't, none will suffice

-Joseph Dunninger

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-06-05 18:26:36

I think Jim Gaffigan reusues his marerial too much. He needs more new jokes. At least that's how it is as far as the performances I've heard/seen. And he needs to just stop whispering to himself.

And Jeff Dunham is getting a bit dull, in my opinion. He used to be great, but Spark of Insanity was kind of boring and got annoying at parts.

"DAWT CAAAAAWM"

ugh....

I find Peanut to be really annoying. I think he should just stick with Walter, Jose, Sweet Daddy D, and Melvin.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-06-19 20:53:39

There was a thing on BBC2 last night about Rob Brydon. It was a documentary but interspersed with bits of live shows. And while I know Rob is very funny, the live stuff was very good (which is the point of this club :)). While it wasn't as cerebral as most of the stuff - mainly about the Welsh - and in all fairness, the show was about his identify crisis as a Welshman and all the shows were in Wales. But still it was hilarious. But he just has a lovely comic charm about him, doesn't he?

Though I think most of the people in this club are American's, yes? So I doubt you know much of Mr. Brydon.
Oh well :(.

I watched Ed Byrne's 'Pedantic and Whimsicle' again just then too. Mainly cause I can't get new live stuff as I'm on dial up. So I'm just re-watching old ones.
Its very good :). And all on Youtube :).

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-06-19 21:02:56

Rob Brydan live is painfull to watch.

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-06-19 21:06:00

At 6/19/08 09:02 PM, sirtom93 wrote: Rob Brydan live is painfull to watch.

Really?
I thought it he'd rather good.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-06-19 22:54:53

At 6/19/08 09:06 PM, Nev wrote:
At 6/19/08 09:02 PM, sirtom93 wrote: Rob Brydan live is painfull to watch.
Really?
I thought it he'd rather good.

I also saw the program last night and although ive seen him do better I think he is better in acting comedy. I like jack dee the most probably, and that iranian guy who I forget the name of.

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-06-20 09:55:36

At 6/19/08 10:54 PM, sirtom93 wrote: I also saw the program last night and although ive seen him do better I think he is better in acting comedy. I like jack dee the most probably, and that iranian guy who I forget the name of.

I despise Jack Dee. And you mean Omid Djalili yes? What I've seen seems good, but thats very little.

And naturally Rob is better in shows, he's like Steve Coogan. But I had nothing against his Stand Up. I'm half Welsh though, so I could relate to him talking about miserable Welsh people (my dad is one of them).

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-06-23 19:54:00

I just found out that George Carlin died on Sunday :(.
Sad loss for the world of comedy.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-06-23 19:59:47

I don't know if he does stand up, per se, but I've been seeing David Mitchell (from Mitchell & Webb / Peep Show) on such game shows as QI, Mock the Week, etc, and he's a seriously funny guy. If he ever did any stand up, I'd definitely go see him.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-06-23 20:06:05

At 6/23/08 07:59 PM, NEVR wrote: I don't know if he does stand up, per se, but I've been seeing David Mitchell (from Mitchell & Webb / Peep Show) on such game shows as QI, Mock the Week, etc, and he's a seriously funny guy. If he ever did any stand up, I'd definitely go see him.

I imagine he has, most have. And on Mock the Week there is that stand up section isn't there.
And don't Mitchell and Webb have a live show?

Either way... I hate them. I like Peep Show and like David when he's on those shows, but together I hate them... or maybe I just hate Webb.
Did you see the episode of Mitchell and Webb show where they mock Dave Gorman and Webb play Gorman with LONG HAIR! Fucking idiot.

That is the only reason I hate him.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-06-23 20:09:55

At 6/23/08 08:06 PM, Nev wrote: I imagine he has, most have. And on Mock the Week there is that stand up section isn't there.

Yeah, but it's not the best example of stand up comedy for the most part. It's kinda like 'cram as many jokes in as you can into 1 minute' really.

And don't Mitchell and Webb have a live show?

I think so, never seen it though.

Either way... I hate them. I like Peep Show and like David when he's on those shows, but together I hate them... or maybe I just hate Webb.

My sister says the same actually. She can't stand Robert Webb, but thinks David Mitchell is good. I quite like them both, but Mitchell is easily my favourite of the duo. He's brilliant on Peep Show, and he had me in stitches when I saw him on QI.

Did you see the episode of Mitchell and Webb show where they mock Dave Gorman and Webb play Gorman with LONG HAIR! Fucking idiot.
That is the only reason I hate him.

Haha, can't say I've seen that, no.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-06-23 20:19:15

At 6/23/08 08:09 PM, NEVR wrote: My sister says the same actually. She can't stand Robert Webb, but thinks David Mitchell is good. I quite like them both, but Mitchell is easily my favourite of the duo. He's brilliant on Peep Show, and he had me in stitches when I saw him on QI.

Jez is a good character and Webb plays him well.
But he's not actually funny. Given that Peep Show isn't written by them.

Haha, can't say I've seen that, no.

Portraying Dave Gorman with long hair is really stupid though isn't it?
I'm not alone in thinking that, right?

For those unaware of Dave Gorman he has had a shaved head all of his famous life.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-06-23 20:28:17

At 6/23/08 08:19 PM, Nev wrote: Jez is a good character and Webb plays him well.

He adds a contrast and tension to the dynamic of their relationship, yes. Without him it wouldn't be as funny, but him on his own wouldn't be funny either.

But he's not actually funny. Given that Peep Show isn't written by them.

They do actually write bits of it, but not huge amounts. I think it's pretty much just a few jokes in each episode are written by them.

Portraying Dave Gorman with long hair is really stupid though isn't it?
I'm not alone in thinking that, right?

I can kind of see the logic behind it being a silly ironic joke... but it's not exactly the most creative thing I've heard. It's like portraying Bill Bailey as a clean-shaven skinhead or something. Bad example, but you get what I mean I'm sure. I'd have to see it to judge it for myself though.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-07-03 19:47:09

I watched Monster by Dylan Moran a little while ago and forgot to mention it here. It was funny.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-07-04 19:15:10

At 7/3/08 07:47 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I watched Monster by Dylan Moran a little while ago and forgot to mention it here. It was funny.

You told me privately though... and I'm the only other one here :(.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-07-04 19:27:31

At 7/3/08 07:47 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I watched Monster by Dylan Moran a little while ago and forgot to mention it here. It was funny.

It's pretty good, yeah. I have the audio from that on my iTunes, and it's always fun to listen to, no matter how much I've heard the whole thing before.

BBS Signature